Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
SPY X FAMILY is a new anime from Wit Studios and Cloverworks based on the popular manga by Tatsuya Endo.

Here's how MAL describes the plot:

quote:

For the agent known as "Twilight," no order is too tall if it is for the sake of peace. Operating as Westalis' master spy, Twilight works tirelessly to prevent extremists from sparking a war with neighboring country Ostania. For his latest mission, he must investigate Ostanian politician Donovan Desmond by infiltrating his son's school: the prestigious Eden Academy. Thus, the agent faces the most difficult task of his career: get married, have a child, and play family.

Twilight, or "Loid Forger," quickly adopts the unassuming orphan Anya to play the role of a six-year-old daughter and prospective Eden Academy student. For a wife, he comes across Yor Briar, an absent-minded office worker who needs a pretend partner of her own to impress her friends. However, Loid is not the only one with a hidden nature. Yor moonlights as the lethal assassin "Thorn Princess." For her, marrying Loid creates the perfect cover. Meanwhile, Anya is not the ordinary girl she appears to be; she is an esper, the product of secret experiments that allow her to read minds. Although she uncovers their true identities, Anya is thrilled that her new parents are cool secret agents! She would never tell them, of course. That would ruin the fun.

Under the guise of "The Forgers," the spy, the assassin, and the esper must act as a family while carrying out their own agendas. Although these liars and misfits are only playing parts, they soon find that family is about far more than blood relations.

Cast and notable staff!
  • Eguchi Takuya (Hachiman from Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru) as Lloyd Forger
  • Hayami Saori (uh, Yukinoshita from Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru) as Yor Forger
  • Atsumi Tanezaki (Vivy from Vivy: Flourite Eye's Song) as Anya Forger
  • Directed by Furuhashi Kazuhiro, who has had a very long career and might be most well known for directing Hunter x Hunter.

Links and fun facts!
  • The manga is currently in its seventh volume and has sold over 15 million copies. You can read the first and most recent three chapters over at MangaPlus.
  • One of our very own goons, Clarste, was one of the first English translators for the series.
  • The mid-century Cold War aesthetic here is pretty unusual for anime. If you find design interesting, pay close attention to the furniture and transportation.
  • MyAnimeList page.
  • Crunchyroll page.

SPY X FAMILY streams on Crunchyroll on Saturdays at 8:30 AM Pacific.

2nd cour key visual:

Agronox fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The manga is extremely funny and the show looks amazing so this seems like a winner

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Anya is cute as heck.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Anya is cute as heck.

She has many good reactions.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Thread needs a tag. What about ?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Anya is cute as heck.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Anya is cute as heck.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Thread needs a tag. What about ?

heh

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I watched the first episode, knowing nothing about the premise, and already tearing up at the end there. I just get emotional if I see little kids characters in danger or in distressed in media in my old age here. This show is going to wreck me, I think.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 12, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
good adaption so far. loved anya matter-of-factly telling people her mom doesn't exist

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crunchyroll must expect big things as the dub of the first episode drops this Friday.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

muscles like this! posted:

Crunchyroll must expect big things as the dub of the first episode drops this Friday.

That and that's what Funimation does sometimes. They had a simuldub of that Gandalf Isekai show.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Rudoku posted:

That and that's what Funimation does sometimes. They had a simuldub of that Gandalf Isekai show.

They are doing a similar quick or simuldub thing for the latest legend of galactic heroes season as well. Also what is the name of this Gandalf isekai show?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
There is so much from this manga that I want to see animated

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dangerous Person posted:

There is so much from this manga that I want to see animated

The first episode apparently got outstanding ratings when it aired in Japan in a graveyard slot so it'll probably happen.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I just wanna say that the ED music bumps extra hard. Had to add it to my regular playlist

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Kingtheninja posted:

They are doing a similar quick or simuldub thing for the latest legend of galactic heroes season as well. Also what is the name of this Gandalf isekai show?

She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man. A guy playing anime Gandalf in a game got Isekai'd to said game when he was messing around with his alt. A little girl.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

They're even doing a special broadcast on Twitch this Thursday (4/14)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spies will really adopt a child for the sake of a diplomatic mission and rescue them from kidnappers instead of going to therapy

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Spies will really adopt a child for the sake of a diplomatic mission and rescue them from kidnappers instead of going to therapy

Well, he is a psychiatrist...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I really liked the dark comedy of that scene.

"Yeah, Anya, take her, whatever."
"Okay, so about the paperwork..."
"Don't worry about it, strange single man who I know nothing about."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And then the sudden breakthrough about his childhood as he is running from violent pursuers

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're about to stream the first episode of the dub if anyone cares:

https://www.twitch.tv/crunchyroll

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arist posted:

They're about to stream the first episode of the dub if anyone cares:

https://www.twitch.tv/crunchyroll

I do

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, it's over now. It was pretty good! Loid's voice is a bit deeper than I had anticipated, and Anya's a bit less of a gromlin, but they're good voices. Megan Shipman especially does excellent work at making Anya sound like a very young child.

If you missed it, they uploaded a clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnyDT-nkA6A

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah wow Loid's voice is a bit deep I think. Anya's voice is pretty good though- it's not like there's a really deep bench of talent for dub actors who can do the voices of very young kids. Gonna be a tough dub script I think even going from the manga translation because Anya does that little kid thing where she mispronounces words a bunch, and now you gotta do lip syncing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Franky's voice is very good

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've seen way worse dubs of equally good shows.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Man there's some reactions from Anya that I know are going to be memeable when the anime gets there

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arist posted:

Well, it's over now. It was pretty good! Loid's voice is a bit deeper than I had anticipated, and Anya's a bit less of a gromlin, but they're good voices. Megan Shipman especially does excellent work at making Anya sound like a very young child.

If you missed it, they uploaded a clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnyDT-nkA6A

Huh, you're right, that does sound much better than I expected. Personally, I think Loid's English VA suits him better than the Japanese, actually.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
A wild opening appears!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_rWZK_8vUY

I like it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love the artstyle shifts.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I was like "wow it's a lot like Other Side of the Wall from Princess Principal" and then :aaa:

e: it's so good i love it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I heard "peanuts" in there, I'm curious to know if it's actually a whole song about the show instead of just only kinda relevant J-pop like a lot of OPs

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The ending sequence was amazing to see animated

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TwoPair posted:

I heard "peanuts" in there, I'm curious to know if it's actually a whole song about the show instead of just only kinda relevant J-pop like a lot of OPs
The name of the song is "Mixed Nuts", I think there's a translation of the lyrics around somewhere.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

TwoPair posted:

The name of the song is "Mixed Nuts," so it's possible.

Edit: f;b...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So when do Crunchyroll put up the new episodes? I'm jonsing for my fix...:f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

tsob posted:

So when do Crunchyroll put up the new episodes? I'm jonsing for my fix...:f5:

Two hours ago

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1515351813989543948?s=20&t=TKUU216L27GBmwGgUQ5uAg