Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

She could be 4. Or 5. She might even actually be 6. We don't know her actual age. She probably is younger than 6, given the framing of that scene, but it's ambiguous what her real age is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Anya's age is baby.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm

Is Anya representative of autism or ADHD or some other neurodivergence

No. She's a very young child.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm

boy that avatar's not just for show

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Even if we take Anya's behavior at pure face value not considering that this is anime, she doesn't exhibit any of the symptoms that are associated with neurodivergent children at that age, and in fact she could be argued to be unusually well-adjusted considering the additional external challenges placed on her intellectual and social development by her ability to read minds.

So in conclusion, she's 4.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Spy x Family is going to be 26 episodes long apparently, and while I initially thought things would go along at a slower pace more like 1 episode to 1 chapter, ending on the first big "arc" in the manga, we're already at chapter 12 in the manga at episode 8; and that arc starts in chapter 18 or 19 (can't recall off hand). Which means after the initial longer chapters etc. it's settling into a 2 chapters per episode pace. So we'll probably see that arc over the middle of the season. As such, for the guy asking if there's ever any content covering Yor's assassination work then the season finale will probably be the arc that centers around her job; which takes place around the chapter 43 to 50ish mark, so would make sense as the end point of a 26 episode show generally doing 2 chapters an episode.

Which is generally good news, but does carry the one negative caveat that since the manga isn't even hugely far ahead of that at the moment (chapter 62.4; a bonus chapter, basically) just released; so it'll probably be a year or two before the anime launches into a second season, so the manga has time to get more content out.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 29, 2022

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

tsob posted:

She could be 4. Or 5. She might even actually be 6. We don't know her actual age. She probably is younger than 6, given the framing of that scene, but it's ambiguous what her real age is.

Point being, she's very likely younger than 6, so the traits that person is attributing to neurodivergence can be explained by her being a literal child.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Honestly the term "neurodivergent" sets my loving teeth on edge. And I am someone who fits that label.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder how long (in universe) the series will go for the main part of its serialization. Anya being 1-2 years younger than her classmates this early on is pretty huge, but as they get further into grade school Anya will catch up very very fast if she's actually reasonably gifted.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

I wonder how long (in universe) the series will go for the main part of its serialization. Anya being 1-2 years younger than her classmates this early on is pretty huge, but as they get further into grade school Anya will catch up very very fast if she's actually reasonably gifted.

Well, Twilight's Handler seems to think it'll only take 4 months. Which is pretty naive, but as we've seen with Twilight, all these spies seem to think of kids as tiny adults who can really climb the academic ladder fast given the right training and motivation instead of... y'know, children.

I'm sure it'll go past that but eventually WISE is gonna start putting the pressure on and go "okay Twilight time's a wastin' that loving kid of yours better start getting some stars"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 29, 2022

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Point being, she's very likely younger than 6, so the traits that person is attributing to neurodivergence can be explained by her being a literal child.

Yeah, I have a pair of nieces that just recently turned 5 and 7 and the way they act is very reminiscent of Anya and Becky respectively. The 5 year old even has the tendency to mispronounce words just like Anya compared to the 7 year old. :3:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TwoPair posted:

Well, Twilight's Handler seems to think it'll only take 4 months. Which is pretty naive, but as we've seen with Twilight, all these spies seem to think of kids as tiny adults who can really climb the academic ladder fast given the right training instead of... y'know, kids.

I'm sure it'll go past that but eventually WISE is gonna start putting the pressure on and go "okay Twilight time's a wastin' that loving kid of yours better start getting some stars"
Yeah I feel like it's a bit ridiculous to expect anyone to get all those stella in a single semester. Given the series' success I'd selfishly be happy if it turned out Desmond was just setting up part of some long-game scenario that extends the scope of the mission so we can see the kids grow up a bit.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

WISE is just like any company where you show just a tiny bit of competence and they suddenly start expecting you to move mountains and Twilight is like the most competent person in the world.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
If you're not around or haven't worked with kids before, it's easy to misinterpret or not notice/understand their developmental milestones (even people who work in a field with kids still mess up).

But anyways yeah Anya is a kid with psychic powers and while she can glean thoughts and secrets due to that, lack of life experience means she isn't able to effectively utilize it or when she does, it makes her look weird.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
All I have to say about the recent episode is *Jerry Lewis voice on* :gary: "HELLO, NICE LOIDY!!!!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Doodles posted:

All I have to say about the recent episode is *Jerry Lewis voice on* :gary: "HELLO, NICE LOIDY!!!!"

No. Bad. No peanuts for you.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm

Her psychic powers being a cacophony in crowds seems awfully similar to overstimulation

She has trouble learning unless it’s presented to her in different ways

She’s often not listening to what people are saying to her because she’s thinking really hard about something else

Edit: VVV good point

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ahahahaha

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

tsob posted:

We still have very, very little information on Anya's background, the nature of the experiment that produced her (remember, she's an unintentional result), or how long she was with the organization before she escaped into the orphanage system. Franky only has information from the past year, so she's likely been out at least for that much time. The organization people had wanted her to devote her time to studying and not playing games for the sake of world peace - suggestive that she was old enough that they could believe she could begin retention of knowledge like this (of course some cruelty is also in this action so it's not necessarily on a healthy developmental schedule). That flashback in episode one might be from when she was three and she escaped soon afterwards, to put the timeframe at Twilight's earliest guess. It's also possible her growth is at least partially stunted and she really is six, but the circumstances of her life mean she's catching up now that she has a semblance of a normal environment to do so in. Since we don't know exactly how much Anya even knows, it's not that unlikely she's unaware how old she is, as well.

I wonder if Loid decided upon a birthdate beyond the year for her already for the sake of the Eden paperwork.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tsob posted:

Actually, she's 7.

Test subject 007

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Edward IV posted:

Yeah, I have a pair of nieces that just recently turned 5 and 7 and the way they act is very reminiscent of Anya and Becky respectively. The 5 year old even has the tendency to mispronounce words just like Anya compared to the 7 year old. :3:

Speaking of which, Anya's voice actor is absolutely killing it. She really nails the idiotic overconfident way that children speak.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Doodles posted:

Lmao I hate you for making me hear this in my head

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This better come with like 10 faces

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1530345622221504512?t=a6y9P5CxDArG1Tczth3VMQ&s=19

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Talorat posted:

Speaking of which, Anya's voice actor is absolutely killing it. She really nails the idiotic overconfident way that children speak.

toddlers BTFO'D

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Seriously, the best thread in this godforsaken forum is the PYF poo poo Kids Say thread. It's absolutely amazing and the only thread that legitimately brings a smile to my face every time I read it.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Yuri wondering whether Yor calls Loid “Loi Loi” or “Loidy” and then screaming a Bob Odenkirk style “goddammit” is the funniest thing in the show so far to me. Tremendous.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

This has gotta be fake, right?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, they would have picked like green or purple for the blood spray, or just erase it digitally from every frame. It's a short segment so it wouldn't take too long to do.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Borscht posted:

This has gotta be fake, right?

Extremely. The episode wasn't out in China when this started going around

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

tsob posted:

Spy x Family is going to be 26 episodes long apparently, and while I initially thought things would go along at a slower pace more like 1 episode to 1 chapter, ending on the first big "arc" in the manga, we're already at chapter 12 in the manga at episode 8; and that arc starts in chapter 18 or 19 (can't recall off hand). Which means after the initial longer chapters etc. it's settling into a 2 chapters per episode pace. So we'll probably see that arc over the middle of the season. As such, for the guy asking if there's ever any content covering Yor's assassination work then the season finale will probably be the arc that centers around her job; which takes place around the chapter 43 to 50ish mark, so would make sense as the end point of a 26 episode show generally doing 2 chapters an episode.

Personally, and given the popularity of the series, I hope they pull a Demon Slayer and turn That Arc into a surprise movie after S1. I think there are enough extra chapters, and the series has done a superb job so far with anime-only extras, that they could pull it off in a pinch if they needed to.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
please don't turn normal chapter canon poo poo into movies, it's dumb.

if they want to make a movie out of side poo poo like JJK0 did then sure.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexo posted:

please don't turn normal chapter canon poo poo into movies, it's dumb.

if they want to make a movie out of side poo poo like JJK0 did then sure.

Yeah, please. We never know if, never mind when, a movie will leave Japan. I'd rather not have that happen for every show, even if Mugen Train and JJK0 were pretty.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Every anime canon movie so far has been redone in their respective anime. And if that's the case going forward I rather they just make wacky questionably canon movie like MHA.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the MHA movies have places where they could slot in canon if they decide they want to do that, but they're honestly so crazy I'd prefer they stay ambiguously canon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SexyBlindfold posted:

The manga translated it as "a bullet or a nuke" but yeah, same effect. The Briar family seems to be very no thoughts head empty when in their off time.

I think it's probably a censorship thing in the anime, since I am 90% sure the manga said nuke in Japanese, while the anime clearly says "meteor".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

meteor is funnier anyway

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I just caught up with this show, right in time for the cliffhanger of whether a married couple is going to kiss.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

kiss your wife, loid

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mama and Papa are flirting

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
*Makes an AMV where Anya is singing "Kiss the Girl" from The Little Mermaid*

Man, did I just date myself with this joke

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah the MHA movies have places where they could slot in canon if they decide they want to do that, but they're honestly so crazy I'd prefer they stay ambiguously canon.

I think they should be even crazier. Abandon any pretense of even ambiguous canon and just go full bonkers what if poo poo.