Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

fez_machine posted:

None of these are from the Shonen genre.

Read Spy X Family, Fullmetal Alchemist, or Mob Psycho 100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1FkO7Tr70A

Got to say I feel scene of FD F.D Signifier's new video its basically a video about white men/boys. I do think his analysis on lot of things is on point and there is a void of good analysis of and for white men and that void get filled with a lot of evil poo poo.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Huh, I knew Bungie carried a lot over for Halo but there are so many more obvious inspirations than I knew

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

JordanKai posted:

You heard wrong, OP.

That's a shame, the art looked exquisite

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The videos about the cynical Rescue Rangers Disney+ movie are starting by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44CsusM5JwU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Puppy Time posted:

That remains impressive.

They are extremely dumb animals. Like, "Can't figure out where the treat is that I just dropped while eating" dumb.

(This is not a slight against guinea pigs. It is part of their charm.)

As a guinea pig owner you are 100% correct.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nuns with Guns posted:

The videos about the cynical Rescue Rangers Disney+ movie are starting by the way:

I watched this movie too so did a lot of other human beings

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CelticPredator posted:

I watched this movie too so did a lot of other human beings

I'm really proud of you, and I hope you keep up the great work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thank you! I’m trying :keke:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Its definitely one of the movies ever released.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 28, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

iSpy The Funny

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4PPVu6blfc

Found this small time guy who makes some fun little videos on handheld games and this thread's favorite topic, STAR WARS. Nothing really in depth or anything, but I enjoyed him recalling stuff at the time of the movie's release.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4PPVu6blfc

Found this small time guy who makes some fun little videos on handheld games and this thread's favorite topic, STAR WARS. Nothing really in depth or anything, but I enjoyed him recalling stuff at the time of the movie's release.

Hands down the worst movie in the franchise.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Nuns with Guns posted:

Part of a thread I found on the Peter Pan villain thing mentioned inthe video, for those who don't know:

https://twitter.com/2nd_quick/status/1527697380417617920

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tdiKTSdE9Y

quote:

I find this incredible line in a newspaper article from 1997 that said "The microwave was invented to meet a need to heat hamsters humanely in 1950s laboratories." And I read that and I thought, 'That's ridiculous, no it wasn't. ...was it?'

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Maniac Mansion had it right after all.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

How does that old guy not have like 50 different types of cancer from all that radiation?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

DC Murderverse posted:

How does that old guy not have like 50 different types of cancer from all that radiation?

Microwaves aren't even close to powerful enough. For example, your household microwave is only 2.45 Ghz, and thus doesn't emit ionizing radiation. You need something in the Petahertz range for it to be ionizing, and it needs to be ionizing for it to rip molecules out of their orbit thus breaking DNA, which is what causes cancer.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 29, 2022

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I watched that yms kimba video and kimba the white lion is such a weird show, y'all

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

New Contrapoints:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTRT794IQBg

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I watched that yms kimba video and kimba the white lion is such a weird show, y'all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAldih45YJY

It really is. It's not a surprise that only the Christian Broadcasting Network was willing to pick up the rights.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

side_burned posted:

Hands down the worst movie in the franchise.

Second-worst now that Rise of Skywalker exists. Attack of the Clone at least makes An Attempt at being its own story, Rise doesn't even achieve that.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Grondoth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAldih45YJY

It really is. It's not a surprise that only the Christian Broadcasting Network was willing to pick up the rights.

I seem to recall that it got a proper dub somewhere down the line because I remember a Pokemon VHS tape advertising it. Maybe it was a reboot.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Attack of the Clones gets vindicated at least somewhat by Clone Wars providing the missing emotional stakes, nothing will vindicate Rise of Skywalker.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The prequels also introduced Togrutas as an alien race and they're cool and Ahsoka is cool. The sequels have um....

This guy I guess?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Prequels have the droids which are dope.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The prequels are actually full of visual language that just got adopted as part of star wars now. The Jedi Robes, for example.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gaius Marius posted:

Prequels have the droids which are dope.

I'll give the sequels BB-8 at least, they're a neat unique design they managed to get some decent scenes out of. But it's real silly how Rise (among all its other many, many failings across the board) tried to make a big to-do out of their hot new droid character D-O in marketing, who does... gently caress-all in the film.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I still maintain that The Phantom Menace is worse overall than Attack of the Clones. AotC at least has some decent spectacle in the Geonosis segments (The chase through the ring system, the John Carter-esque arena fight and the subsequent Clone trooper battle). The Phantom Menace's plot was disconnected to the point of being incoherent and very poorly defined stakes.

I've actually done some thinking about it, and I feel like the thing that really ended up dooming the Star Wars series was that the production companies (both LUcasfilm and later Disney) started to treat the films themselves less as stand-alone pieces of media and more as springboards for later media products. It's often been said (such as in a few of the preceding posts) that the Prequel era ended up being at least somewhat redeemed by the Clone Wars tv series, but I feel like that's sort of at the root of the problem: The prequels ended up glossing major segments of the Clone Wars specifically so those ideas could be explored in these sort of tie in products and it ended up hurting the films as a result. The Sequel trilogy had the same problem, only magnified because of Disney trying to capture cinematic universe lightning in a bottle twice. While the Original trilogy was no stranger to marketing or tie-in products, the story those three films told was able to stand on its own.

Also: My own personal opinion is that the prequels were worse overall than the sequel trilogy but the where the sequel trilogy fails it fails more spectacularly. At this part of this comes from my own belief that Star Wars is defined by the design aesthetic of its world and that the sequel trilogy manages to much better capture the "vibe" of that aesthetic than the prequel trilogy did. While I understand what George Lucas was going for by making the worlds of the prequels look shinier and more utopia than the grittier, industrial designs of the OT, it just didn't end up looking right compared to the aesthetic that defined the OT for me. I'm also going to be honest: The Jedi have always been one of the least interesting parts of the Star Wars universe to me, and the prequels are like 75% Jedi business.

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 29, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KingKalamari posted:

While I understand what George Lucas was going for by making the worlds of the prequels look shinier and more utopia than the grittier, industrial designs of the OT, it just didn't end up looking right compared to the aesthetic that defined the OT for me.

Some of that was also a shift in scifi aesthetics between the decades. The OT has a particular kind of 70s industrial vibe that's looped around into a distinct retro charm now, and you see that revisited whenever Star Wars has to go back to one of the places the OT established. Where the Prequels added new things, it injected a more late 90s/early 2000s aesthetic to the tech, ship designs, fashion choices (that it wasn't repurposing from the OT) etc. The Sequel Trilogy fixating so much on being a re-adaption of the classics meant a lot of its visual choices were centered around grabbing stuff from the OT and going "Look, now it's updated and cooler than ever!!!"

Which is very emblematic of Disney's current business initiatives, in retrospect.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 29, 2022

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Literally the only thing Rise of Skywalker gave us that was worth keeping was Babu Frikk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nuns with Guns posted:

The prequels also introduced Togrutas as an alien race and they're cool and Ahsoka is cool. The sequels have um....

This guy I guess?

There's a lot wrong with the prequels but the production design was stellar and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Fil5000 posted:

Literally the only thing Rise of Skywalker gave us that was worth keeping was Babu Frikk

Wrong, it had a chimpanzee welder who was also good

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Piell posted:

Wrong, it had a chimpanzee welder who was also good

Conceded.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

This guy I guess?

The moment I knew for certain that The Rise of Skywalker was an absolutely contempt-filled and contemptible piece of trash that I made a grievous mistake in sitting down to watch was when Finn and Poe were piloting the Millennium Falcon through that dumbfuck ADHD-fueled space chase scene and Poe was like "Man, I hope our genius engineer can keep this thing ship together for us" and instead of cutting to Rose doing engineer poo poo, it cut to this... thing staring gormlessly at an open sparking panel.

Basically

Fil5000 posted:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Im personally glad for our new slug arbiter because how else would we know if our gay love is real without him watching on

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mix. posted:

Im personally glad for our new slug arbiter because how else would we know if our gay love is real without him watching on

Klaud is a powerful ally and I would have him gape at my wedding. I just find it funny that he's been the most persistent sequel trilogy meme aside from maybe High-Pants-Kylo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

Attack of the Clones gets vindicated at least somewhat by Clone Wars providing the missing emotional stakes, nothing will vindicate Rise of Skywalker.

Rise of Skywalker is an act of cowardice by committee, capitulating to deranged white supremacists who pitched a fit over Kelly Marie Tran being a visible minority. As a fellow yellow, solly solly yerrow person offended your grolious waito lace with our dishonourabre plesence. Neksuto taimu we will stand in background bowing head and say "solly solly."

gently caress that loving movie and gently caress JJ Abrams, loving DW Griffith-ing piece of poo poo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

edogawa rando posted:

Rise of Skywalker is an act of cowardice by committee, capitulating to deranged white supremacists who pitched a fit over Kelly Marie Tran being a visible minority.
This really annoyed and bothered me as well, and though I'm not of Asian descent, I have to imagine that my feelings of disgust are at least similar to yours. There are a number of reasons why I haven't bothered seeing Rise of Skywalker, and for some reason this is a standout to me. I didn't even like her character all that much. It's not just cowardice and capitulation, it's a total lack of giving a poo poo about anything that means anything to an audience segment that might be smaller than another audience segment. It feels like straight up racism from the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A proud tradition for both disney and star wars, really.