Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I cannot believe the last chapter of Ayashimon. I feel like someone high up at Shonen Jump must have just hated this series or something. It feels like the author only heard it was being canned halfway through this chapter.

I mean the answer is that it was massively unpopular. Anything else beyond that is just an author struggling to reach some kind of ending in a story that absolutely was not supposed to be ending. It was that or make an ending entirely about how fans are lovely because they demanded things and then end with defeating fandom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the answer is that it was massively unpopular. Anything else beyond that is just an author struggling to reach some kind of ending in a story that absolutely was not supposed to be ending. It was that or make an ending entirely about how fans are lovely because they demanded things and then end with defeating fandom.

Well we know it's not unpopular it's volume sold well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well we know it's not unpopular it's volume sold well.

I mean people keep pointing to this but the volume sales clearly weren't enough to save it and every other metric we're aware of was that it wasn't popular. There are other series in similar boats but Doran is probably going to the chopping block soon and Earthchild is either going to die or get 500 chapters for no good reason.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean people keep pointing to this but the volume sales clearly weren't enough to save it and every other metric we're aware of was that it wasn't popular. There are other series in similar boats but Doran is probably going to the chopping block soon and Earthchild is either going to die or get 500 chapters for no good reason.

The only other metric I can find on those lines is the Jump TOC. Mangadex views were great, sales were solid (20K first volume. Not amazing, especially not for a vet, but far, far better than Jump expected considering it got two rounds of reprints). At most, that means Jump surveys were bad (plausible enough), but it can also be any number of other reasons.

Meanwhile, Doron's got worse sales than High School Family, similarly low survey scores, and apparently had the female lead be negatively mentioned enough to ditch her, but it survived another round.

Ayashimon wasn't such a hit that Jump canning it is unbelievable, but the numbers we have access to suggest it would normally get until the second volume came out to see some trendlines.

It's a bit odd.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chiasaur11 posted:

Ayashimon wasn't such a hit that Jump canning it is unbelievable, but the numbers we have access to suggest it would normally get until the second volume came out to see some trendlines.

It's a bit odd.

Maybe there's another series they wanted to put out that was similar enough that they didn't want to have both running at the same time.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I did my part by favoriting it on the Shonen Jump app :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Maybe there's another series they wanted to put out that was similar enough that they didn't want to have both running at the same time.

That's possible. Phantom Seer also had a similar position, with good sales for a rookie, similar themes, and a quick cancellation after low placement in the ToC. Maybe editorial sees it as too well-trodden of territory for anything but the most promising titles to get a chance to grow.

They're also launching Ruri Dragon soon, which is in a similar spot to Blue Box in that it was a really popular one-shot. Editor attached to the one-shot doesn't have the best track record, but it's not guaranteed he's going to handle the final title, even aside from questions of how responsible he was for those flops.

It seems plausible (barring contradictory information) that Ayashimon was on the way out already, but got rushed because of the mess around the new wave, the short wave for Super Smartphone, Black Clover's break, Ayakashi Triangle going Jump Plus, and Hunter X Hunter returning. I can see that changing the plan from "You have 5 more chapters to wrap things up" to "Finish right now", which would sort of explain this chapter being so bad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: I love all the different ways that people practice rakugo. I don wonder if down the line we'll get characters who practice similar types of rakugo, and how they deal with having competition / the dynamics of having someone be better at your specialty. Anyways, tournament arc, whoot whoot!

Ayashimon: I'm just sad.

Elusive Samurai: drat. Shokan initially being at peace with dying and then remembering that little girl he made a promise to, and then realizing that no, he actually wanted to keep living, is a hard hit, despite all the atrocities he committed.

Mashle: I know it's just typical shounen schlock but I tire of the "other races exist only to be subjugated by the enemy and used by fodder so the humans can safely massacre them" stuff.

Roboco: Congrats on the anime, Roboco! Gonna check out a few episodes when the anime comes out!

Sakamoto Days: I did not expect there to be a Slur faction member in the friggin' Order. Wow.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, at least that guy who desperately needs to be punched in the face is gonna get punched in the face.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm not gonna talk about Ayashimon, it's depressing.

I loved this chapter of Elusive Samurai. The tactic they developed to handle Shokan was really clever. At a minimum, it would definitely shock an opponent.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Horrible person he was, I was starting to get fond of Skokan so I am a bit sad to see him go.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, I don't think it getting cancelled was strange in and of itself, but it feels like it was cancelled earlier than I'd normally expect.

There's probably some business reason for it, though it's also not exactly out of the question that a less rational reason was involved (everyone involved is human - it could even be something as simple as the author pissing someone off, even if that's not likely).

chiasaur11 posted:

Meanwhile, Doron's got worse sales than High School Family, similarly low survey scores, and apparently had the female lead be negatively mentioned enough to ditch her, but it survived another round.

This really pains me, because the female lead was literally the specific thing that made me like it at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

This really pains me, because the female lead was literally the specific thing that made me like it at all.

Yeah, once I read that they dumped her entirely then I lost any interest in the series.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it was surprising to me that people hated her so much as well

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah wow, the Ayashimon news is real disheartening. I'm starting to feel like it's not even worth starting a manga unless it's already at like 40 chapters, it real sucks to get into something and have it get cancelled shortly into the run.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
my opinion is that more manga should be written with the intention of being 20-30 chapters

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hunter X Hunter is returning?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

my opinion is that more manga should be written with the intention of being 20-30 chapters

Well yeah so long as that was the plan from the beginning. Nobody wants to be reading a manga and see in real time the author being informed it's going to end* in two chapters.

*Or else

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Ayashimon: I guess the Mangaka heard about the cancellation yesterday? It wasn't brilliant, but it definitely had it's moments. I will miss it.

Doron: Meh. We didn't need another "I trust you!" chapter.

Sakamoto: To the rescue! I didn't expect this.

Elusive Samurai: Is such an uneven series. There are long stretches of boredom, but then suddenly something like this comes along and makes the boredom all worth it. Rip Shokan. Really cool strategy.

Witch Watch: That stupid paper fake out got me!

Undead Unluck: I'm very interested in this guy, I always really liked his weird rear end design. So I'm all about learning more about him. I assume that Andy learning more about everyone will allow him to completely alter the next loop.

Shugo: Why didn't you die instead of Ayashimon

Super Smartphone: I liked it, but it feels so Death note. How the heck did the cop lady learn all this?

Earth Child: Remember how Albert was whining about having to go back down to Earth and how much time that cost? Well, Maromi made it clear they've done those Earth->Space station->Earth trips so many times she's lost count. :psyduck: She now also sports a hateboner for the lead, we knew this was going to happen.
I'm happy you're still around though. :allears:

Roboco: Was fun again.

edit;
Forgot Mash.
Mash was cool actually. Liked the gag of the bad guy showing up again. As well as the wind up of health and guilt.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 30, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Well yeah so long as that was the plan from the beginning. Nobody wants to be reading a manga and see in real time the author being informed it's going to end* in two chapters.

*Or else

There is something interesting about seeing how manga cope with almost-certainly-looming cancellation.

Some manga rush to the last big fight, some manage to get in the whole last arc, some do a timeskip to lay out everything they were planning, and some just kind of stop in the middle of things.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

The issue with that is that if your manga does become popular, you are kinda screwed because Jump editors definitely won't let you end a new hot thing in 20-30 chapters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

The issue with that is that if your manga does become popular, you are kinda screwed because Jump editors definitely won't let you end a new hot thing in 20-30 chapters.

Jump's gotten a lot more flexible about end dates in recent years.

That said, while they've always had the possibility open (look up Sand Land some time. Good manga, and quite short.) but it's much harder to convince editorial to give you a spot if there's no growth potential and no name to draw readers to buy the mag on sight.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

chiasaur11 posted:

Jump's gotten a lot more flexible about end dates in recent years.

That said, while they've always had the possibility open (look up Sand Land some time. Good manga, and quite short.) but it's much harder to convince editorial to give you a spot if there's no growth potential and no name to draw readers to buy the mag on sight.

i think you can do what you want once you've written dragon ball

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

Super Smartphone: I liked it, but it feels so Death note. How the heck did the cop lady learn all this.

What do you mean? Nagi does not seem to know anything they should not.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

What do you mean? Nagi does not seem to know anything they should not.

I had to reread. You’re right. It just somehow feels so fast.

Unrelated: Dandadan is amazing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1531921982412955648?s=21&t=EMVktibLP7bLgV8X0KqnqQ

Oh no! :geno:
Well anyway how about that Diamond in the rough. I’m still sticking with it, it’s just so delightfully standard inoffensive shounen.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
As much as these lot were asking for it, untill Earthchild bites it, I can't rest easy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Every manga that dies empowers Earth Child more.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, well I can, and will, cancel my sub if this gets too stupid.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's no way Earth Child lives past saving the mother and that's going to be happening sooner than later imo.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm not sure Earthchild has place to become more stupider.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

It was a difficult decision but cancelling One Piece to make room for more Earth Child was the right move.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I'm not sure Earthchild has place to become more stupider.

well they haven't even gone to jupiter

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean if this was a secret prequel to Nadesico I might forgive it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Even if it's less than twenty chapter's worth it does annoy me on some level Earthchild will actually be resolving its main conflict, just presumably a lot quicker than he intended.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

dogsicle posted:

well they haven't even gone to jupiter

I have a plan to stop the asteroid field!
Step 1: Go to Jupiter with Kareri's help! We'll strap Kareri to Reisuke and she will pull herself to Jupiter, while Albert pushes Reisuke and Mamoru pulls Albert along. :science:
Step 2:?
Step 3: Go back to Earth to think of a step 2.

Justin_Brett posted:

Even if it's less than twenty chapter's worth it does annoy me on some level Earthchild will actually be resolving its main conflict, just presumably a lot quicker than he intended.

Pretty sure the author has no plan....at all.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It was a difficult decision but cancelling One Piece to make room for more Earth Child was the right move.

Twenty years from now when the 1000th episode of the Earthchild anime airs we will be talking about how bad all these new manga are compared to its masterpiece.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Earthchild is the worst manga I've ever seen in jump. Like I'm sure there's some stuff that's 'worse' for reasons of being creepy or problematic, but Earthchild is just relentlessly stupid, unfocused, and the art isn't even good. I have no idea how it got serialized.

However, I will fully admit to having awful taste since I was 100% on board with Red Hood.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Red Hood at least had "Girl becomes Buff Woman to beat cuthuloid-wolfs" going for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I mean at first "regular joe has to deal with the loss of his wife and upbringing of his super-baby" is a decent and fairly unique pitch and could have been anything from charming slice-of-life to decent single-dad comedy to poignant relationship drama. It just chose to be...I don't know to describe it. Action-adventure without either adventure nor real action?