Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Didn’t Bix give it the old “well everyone else is going to vote for Okada so I’m gonna use my vote on someone else who deserves it”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Sammys stuff is the first time ive seen universal displeasure at the booking. Even the year 0 Dark Order stuff and Nightmare collective had people who either enjoyed it or didnt think negatively about it.

Uh, I don't dislike Sammy's gimmick at all. There's a decent number who like it just on this board alone.

If you're using that to mean the TNT title situation, yeah that has been a mess but I don't blame the Sammy/Tay heel turn for it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

dromal phrenia posted:

If you're using that to mean the TNT title situation, yeah that has been a mess but I don't blame the Sammy/Tay heel turn for it.

That's what I meant. Sammy is a far better scumbag heel than he is a babyface and I got no notes, but the general zeitgeist is for Sammy and Scorp to just get away from each other, and hopefully after Sunday they do that.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

said it before and I will say it again: the TNT title scene will improve exponentially as soon as Miro returns and redeems the gently caress out of everyone in his quest to find and kill God, starting with Scorpio Sky

with any luck that'll start tomorrow

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Most of my issues with AEW's booking is a matter of taste more than it being bad. Like, I'm gonna tune out for a while if CM Punk is champion, Adam Cole has worn really thin on me along with Britt. But they're all being booked fine.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I sort of fell off watching AEW last summer when Cole, Bryan and Punk arrived cuz as much as I like those three, I didn't really want to see them in AEW. Hangman winning the title drew me back in and he's had four great matches with two of them, and I'm sure his match with Punk tonight will be the same.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I sort of fell off watching AEW last summer when Cole, Bryan and Punk arrived cuz as much as I like those three, I didn't really want to see them in AEW. Hangman winning the title drew me back in and he's had four great matches with two of them, and I'm sure his match with Punk tonight will be the same.

you should go watch basically every bryan match he's had so far

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I've been watching again since November and I've seen everything Bryan has done, bar the Mox match. He's somehow even more incredible than ever.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I've been watching again since November and I've seen everything Bryan has done, bar the Mox match. He's somehow even more incredible than ever.

It's because he went back to being American Dragon.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Didn’t Bix give it the old “well everyone else is going to vote for Okada so I’m gonna use my vote on someone else who deserves it”

he posts here you can just ask him directly

to answer an earlier question the diva search and taboo tuesdays were run as shoots but with the diva search if the company wanted a different direction than what the fans voted they'd just hire who they wanted anyway

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does anybody have any idea what Kane did to Shane McMahon that Bryan and Vinny love so much or where I can see it? He hit him I guess and it must have been awesome and/or funny but they reference it a lot and I have no idea.

bartok
May 10, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Does anybody have any idea what Kane did to Shane McMahon that Bryan and Vinny love so much or where I can see it? He hit him I guess and it must have been awesome and/or funny but they reference it a lot and I have no idea.

Was it the time Kane elctrocuted Shane McMahon's testicles with jumper cables and a car battery?

edit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3msWpAsql8s

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My only memories of Owen Hart were as Blue Blazer, in High Energy, and briefly in the Hart Foundation. I didn't see the split, the rivalry with Bret, piledriving Stone Cold, etc.

But I wanna know more about the Blue Blazer. I only saw one or two matches as that character. Did he do that before coming to WWF? Where did he learn all the lucha stuff? I remember him doing stuff you just never saw in WWF and it was awesome. How long was he the Blue Blazer in WWF? Basically gimme anything.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nehru the Damaja posted:

My only memories of Owen Hart were as Blue Blazer, in High Energy, and briefly in the Hart Foundation. I didn't see the split, the rivalry with Bret, piledriving Stone Cold, etc.

But I wanna know more about the Blue Blazer. I only saw one or two matches as that character. Did he do that before coming to WWF? Where did he learn all the lucha stuff? I remember him doing stuff you just never saw in WWF and it was awesome. How long was he the Blue Blazer in WWF? Basically gimme anything.

Blue Blazer was a gimmick Vince gave him; he only lasted about a year or so. He also traveled around the world, including stints in New Japan

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What? Bryan's run in AEW was phenomenal and so was Punks. I mean Cole kinda sucks but they shouldn't have just lumped him into the sad mush that is the remains of the Bullet Club

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Blue Blazer was a gimmick he had in his first run with WWF, from July 1988 until June 1989. By the time he came back in 1991 he was just Owen Hart, 1 half of the New Foundation with Jim Neidhart.

As for his style, Owen got around. Stampede was a territory with connections all over, he had tours in Germany with Otto Wanz's CWA, in the UK with Joint Promotions, Japan with New Japan & Mexico with UWA. So he developed his style working with people like Hiroshi Hase, Keiichi Yamada/Jushin Liger, El Samurai, Villano III, Negro Casas, Mark Rocco.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Never forget Owen held the IWGP junior title (and had his name misspelled on the belt)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am glad there is someone else who absolutely loved the Blue Blazer as a kid and never understood why that was seen as a bad time (well other than obviously Owen not having wanted to do it, which, fair enough)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am glad there is someone else who absolutely loved the Blue Blazer as a kid and never understood why that was seen as a bad time (well other than obviously Owen not having wanted to do it, which, fair enough)

If you told me he was from space, I would have believed every bit of it.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Has anything come out on how much of a shoot or not a shoot the gameshow version of NXT was? Same question on the Diva search and Tough Enough.

I'm curious about this as well. I don't recall how much the public got to vote in these, I think Tough Enough and most of Diva Search was judges' decisions?

I think it's safe to say that WWE probably learned their lesson on relying on public votes during the early Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday years.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like Tough Enough was definitely judges decisions, especially that year where they implied the whole way that there would be one male and one female winner, only to swerve them all at the last minute and go with two women (I think Jackie Gayda and the future Shaniqua? what a class that was!), which seemed to visibly piss off the male contestants. I seem to recall Diva Search had some fan input, but WWE had their favourites who they would nudge you towards.

Even Taboo Tuesday, I remember them presenting it as "Option A, Option B and OOOH LOOK AT THIS COOL OPTION C VOTE FOR THIS ONE!".

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Still mad about them not picking Jake from that swerve ending Tough Enough class, especially because I seem to recall he just disappeared forever from the business as a result.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I thought tough enough was a call in vote. Wasn't that famous terrible The Miz promo with him flubbing the number to call in to vote?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Got a bunch of heel related questions

Who's character improved the most from a heel turn?
I say Chris Jericho in WCW. That made his whole career as far as I'm concerned

Who's character had the best reason to turn heel?
Bret Hart WWF in 97. It was so well done because it was less him turning and more his character staying the same while the entire company and audience changed when it became the attitude era.

What is the earliest heel turn you can think of? My knowledge of this drops off sharply anytime before the 80s.
The earliest one I can think of has to be Larry Zabesico who went from Bruno's protege to his heated rival

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Kevin Steen started as a face.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Shard posted:

The conventional wisdom that the answer is "Rocky" is conventional for a reason.

Unsaid is that they actually did it twice; going into Survivor Series '98, Rock was a face again, put upon by the Corporation. Getting OK enough reactions as a midcarder, but then Screwjob II and that promo and away we went.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Earliest heel turn I remember is Sid Justice/Vicious in the aftermath of the '92 Rumble. He was also totally in the right because Hogan was the rear end in a top hat who cost him the belt.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Shard posted:

I say Chris Jericho in WCW. That made his whole career as far as I'm concerned

Bret Hart WWF in 97. It was so well done because it was less him turning and more his character staying the same while the entire company and audience changed when it became the attitude era.

What is the earliest heel turn you can think of? My knowledge of this drops off sharply anytime before the 80s.
The earliest one I can think of has to be Larry Zabesico who went from Bruno's protege to his heated rival

I can't think of answer 1 at all. I guess Sandman's ECW turn in the start of 1994 was a huge step up from Surfer Sandman to the Sandman character you think of, smoking & drinking & wielding the kendo stick. The initial feud with Tommy Cairo & him trying to pimp out Peaches isn't great ("pay your bills Tommy") but he pairs up with Woman and goes into the Tommy Dreamer feud which basically makes Dreamer, then he rolls into Cactus Jack and Mikey over the next while and only really turns face with Raven & his son in either December 95 or early 96.

Guess i could think of an answer.

Alex Shelley in 2005 ROH had a good reason to turn: he was kicked out of Generation Next, then they also turned face not long after. But nobody on the roster was willing to team with Shelley or watch his back from the face locker room he ended up joining The Embassy

Earliest heel turn I remember is Macho King but I didn't necessarily see things in order as a kid, I'd just watch what was in the rental store.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Orndorff is still one of the most logical heel turns. Although most of the guys who turned on Hulk had good reasons.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Shard posted:

Earliest Turn?

Dr. Britt Baker, DMD. She started off being pushed as a big time baby face in AEW and nobody liked her at all, then she flipped heel and went from the least interesting womens wrestler who seemed to be being pushed far above her means to what was I'd consider a stellar heel run that maybe only suffered by going a little too long on top.

Best reason to turn heel? Brett in 97 easily, he was putting on bangers and had legit grievances and the crowd was hating him. So flipping heel seemed pretty natural.

Earliest Heel Turn I was around for? Mankind/Dude Love joining the corporation to fight Austin.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I thought tough enough was a call in vote. Wasn't that famous terrible The Miz promo with him flubbing the number to call in to vote?

I think it was the Diva Search, but there’s a reasonable chance he hosed up a promo for Tough Enough at that point in his career.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think it was the diva search and he was reading the phone number off of his hand

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Shard posted:

Earliest Turn?

Shawn Michaels turning from A Rocker into HBK.

Macho Man being overshadowed by Hulk in his WMIV title win and Macho’s previously established jealousy and paranoia and the build to the Mega Powers Explode was nearly flawless to me.

Andre? I think Andre was it for me. I know of Orndorf’s turn but if I watched it I don’t remember. Growing up my parents put up with wrestling, but I was one of those watch the cartoon kids as my gateway. Then when I started to watch the real WWF on Sunday afternoons on USA Network! The disjoint was hard for me to understand at the time. Like I don’t think I ever saw a live JYD match until years later on an old random taped event but I knew OF JYD and Hillbilly Jim from the Cartoon. I’m still not sure I have ever seen Jim wrestle a match now that I think about it. Same with Capt Lou and a host of others from the cartoon.

We should watch the cartoons together.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

What? Bryan's run in AEW was phenomenal and so was Punks. I mean Cole kinda sucks but they shouldn't have just lumped him into the sad mush that is the remains of the Bullet Club

Yeah dude, I'm saying I didn't really want to see them in AEW all at the same time, so I took a break for a few months and when I went back, I really enjoyed all their work. Bryan most of all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Orndorff is still one of the most logical heel turns. Although most of the guys who turned on Hulk had good reasons.

And probably tellingly all his best angles were that sort of natural extension even if they were some variation of "Hogan believes his own hype too much," which is of course very valid.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tetsuya Naito's character improved exponentially after he joined Los Ingobernables and returned to NJPW as El Ingobernable

...goddamn, Naito's entire 2015-17 heel run was loving incredible.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Shard posted:

Some lesser mentioned ones I think were extremely important for that wrestler: Diesel (1996), CM Punk (2009), Randy Orton (2002/3), Booker T (2006), Scott Steiner (1998), R-Truth (2011), Edge (2005), Eddie Guerrero (1996/7?), Seth Rollins (2014), Daniel Bryan (2012?).

I would also like to add that Austin turning heel in 2001 improved the character a ton, although they probably shouldn't have done it because nobody wanted to boo him.

Then obviously there's the Hogan, Bret, Rock etc turns.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe it's just my thoughts on Hulk Hogan the character and person blending together but when I think back on when people would turn on him and the like, Hulk always seemed to have this energy of, "Brother you're evil for being tired of being in my shadow" he didn't give a poo poo about having friends. I'm having a bit of hard time articulating it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

Maybe it's just my thoughts on Hulk Hogan the character and person blending together but when I think back on when people would turn on him and the like, Hulk always seemed to have this energy of, "Brother you're evil for being tired of being in my shadow" he didn't give a poo poo about having friends. I'm having a bit of hard time articulating it.

He wanted friends who were a step or five below him and who would never be a threat to him. When they did this, all was good (Hillbilly Jim, JYD) but the second anyone wanted to also succeed and/or sniffed out his ego (Andre, Orndorff, Savage, Typhoon) that person was the epitome of evil. It really is wild looking back with adult eyes and brains and wondering how he was the babyface the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

He wanted friends who were a step or five below him and who would never be a threat to him. When they did this, all was good (Hillbilly Jim, JYD) but the second anyone wanted to also succeed and/or sniffed out his ego (Andre, Orndorff, Savage, Typhoon) that person was the epitome of evil. It really is wild looking back with adult eyes and brains and wondering how he was the babyface the whole time.

He's maybe the single greatest possible encapsulation of the way America saw itself in the 1980s, which made him an absolutely perfect fit for that specific and completely-lacking-in-self-awareness era, and the moment it was over it aged exactly as well as the rest of 1980s America did.