Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if you like the off-beat examination of a fantasy world from through the lens of a focused topic, i can't recommend the previously mentioned heterogenous linguistics and the dragon, the hero, and the courier enough. both thoroughly enjoyable, though the courier one is much more unabashedly cynical than the other two

Courier is so cynical that it can occasionally be a downer to read from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

I Am Fowl posted:

The mangaka of the Dragon, the Hero, and the Courier is also a tremendous medieval nerd, to the point that his pen name is a latinization.

i could tell from his after-chapter notes that he was really into medieval history, but the full extent didn't come across until he was breaking down the characteristics of a dozen different styles of shields and it became clear that it was all based of off experience with his personal collection

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i could tell from his after-chapter notes that he was really into medieval history, but the full extent didn't come across until he was breaking down the characteristics of a dozen different styles of shields and it became clear that it was all based of off experience with his personal collection

Oh yes, he does medieval re-enactments. His other manga, now concluded, A Private Story on Third Street, really gets into that in the author notes.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh huh, I hadn't heard of the Dragon, the Hero, and the Courier before. Something new to get to reading. :toot:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Kanos posted:

Courier is so cynical that it can occasionally be a downer to read from time to time.

Is it? I feel it's at worst dark comedy. It's hard to take things super seriously when you've got stuff like class and levels being assigned by government officials.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kyte posted:

Is it? I feel it's at worst dark comedy. It's hard to take things super seriously when you've got stuff like class and levels being assigned by government officials.

Yeah I mean there's literally government officials on hand going "Ah, I'd say that fireball hit for about...twenty-eight hitpoints!" Then scribbling it onto parchment. And then people argue with the officials over the count!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Kyte posted:

i'd say the central ideological clash between "the strong should be free to crush the weak" and "society should instill order by turning people into cogs in a grinding machine", and everyone not on a side being too self-interested to provide a third option can be a bit of a downer

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'd say the central ideological clash between "the strong should be free to crush the weak" and "society should instill order by turning people into cogs in a grinding machine", and everyone not on a side being too self-interested to provide a third option can be a bit of a downer

It's more historically accurate than should be comfortable.

As another point to boost Gregorius Yamada, here's his twitter where he's doing some medieval combat stuff.

https://twitter.com/yamadieval/status/1523268394794897410

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dolash posted:

Edit: I guess to give this post more content, are there any more recommendations for this author, or this genre? My sense is that most fantasy adventurer anime/manga is kinda garbage, but if there's more like this around i'd be interested to see it!
Magus in the Library is a must recommend. Arabian Nights fantasy manga about a half elf boy who aspires to be a kick rear end librarian.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kyte posted:

This sums it up pretty well:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Courier has a plot arc where two mages are forced into taking increasingly irrelevant and hopeless jobs that grind them into paste to barely make end's meet, and matters come to a head when their next assignment is going to be to literally be stuffed in a new wagon machine that barely keeps them alive while squeezing them for magic power to fuel itself, basically forcing them to say "gently caress this" and join a group of anti-government terrorists.

It's definitely told in the style of absurdist dark humor, and those two mages basically become Fantasy Team Rocket in the process, but it's still a bleak story a fair amount of the time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Xelkelvos posted:

It's more historically accurate than should be comfortable.

As another point to boost Gregorius Yamada, here's his twitter where he's doing some medieval combat stuff.

https://twitter.com/yamadieval/status/1523268394794897410

His tabard is the loving Uniqlo logo!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Brought To You By posted:

Magus in the Library is a must recommend. Arabian Nights fantasy manga about a half elf boy who aspires to be a kick rear end librarian.

I'll add it to the list! These recommendations have looked quite good, though I have to admit that Delicious in Dungeon is still in a league of its own. I've been working my way through and things have escalated so quickly! The world-building is excellent, I really like the way the different peoples' lifespans and cultures informs their perspectives. It's also extremely obvious that Marcille has a big ol crush on Falin, and I hope everything works out for them in the end.

Balancing all of that with still making time to cook, and through cooking consider interesting ideas about monsters, ecology, society, and more, is really impressive. It'd be so easy to let the hook that the series was built around slowly fade as more traditional storylines take hold, but keeping the cooking central makes the comic really feel unique.

Also - I am inevitably left very hungry!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Did I recommend Drifting Dragons? It’s about what’s essentially a whaling ship except it’s an airship that hunts dragons. And the dragons are essentially big flying sea creatures of all shapes and sizes.

The art’s gorgeous and the manga does a good job having the reader get to know the crew. Also, like Delicious in Dungeon, it’s secretly a cooking manga where the main ingredient is dragon

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

thetoughestbean posted:

Did I recommend Drifting Dragons? It’s about what’s essentially a whaling ship except it’s an airship that hunts dragons. And the dragons are essentially big flying sea creatures of all shapes and sizes.

The art’s gorgeous and the manga does a good job having the reader get to know the crew. Also, like Delicious in Dungeon, it’s secretly a cooking manga where the main ingredient is dragon

I saw that one at the bookstore too and flipped through it - it looks very pretty! I was already considering it, but I'll add it to the list for sure then.

Edit: the shapeshifter chapter rules and I am stealing that concept for my Wilds Beyond The Witchlight campaign.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 1, 2022

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dolash posted:

Picked up the first book of this at the bookstore today after hearing it generallly recommended. I'm not a big manga reader or anime watcher (the only one i actually read is My Hero Academia, which i fell into by chance while recovering from an eye condition), but I love D&D, and this is great!

I tried searching to see if there's a show and it looks like there isn't, which is too bad. Still far from caught up on the comic though.

That's really all i got. Comic is good.

Edit: I guess to give this post more content, are there any more recommendations for this author, or this genre? My sense is that most fantasy adventurer anime/manga is kinda garbage, but if there's more like this around i'd be interested to see it!

one piece

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Manga's not normally my thing, and for the most part glancing at the big manga hasn't really changed my mind. My Hero Academia's waaay out of my usual interests but I just fell into a collection of it while my eyes were too messed up to look at any kind of screen, so I've got a soft spot for it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

A lot of these other ideas look like they could be good, apart from the drifting dragon one I hadn't seen them before. I'll have to see how many I can find at the bookstore or the library next time I'm there.

Also just met the cat person and they look like they'll round out the party. I can't tell at what chapter this thread started, I'd like to be able to check in on your real-time reactions when I get to the right part. Which chapter should I start reading the thread at?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Dolash posted:

Manga's not normally my thing, and for the most part glancing at the big manga hasn't really changed my mind. My Hero Academia's waaay out of my usual interests but I just fell into a collection of it while my eyes were too messed up to look at any kind of screen, so I've got a soft spot for it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

A lot of these other ideas look like they could be good, apart from the drifting dragon one I hadn't seen them before. I'll have to see how many I can find at the bookstore or the library next time I'm there.

Also just met the cat person and they look like they'll round out the party. I can't tell at what chapter this thread started, I'd like to be able to check in on your real-time reactions when I get to the right part. Which chapter should I start reading the thread at?

The latest. There is a lot happening.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Lurking Haro posted:

The latest. There is a lot happening.

No, I mean when should I go back to page one of this thread and reading along with the chapters?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Dolash posted:

No, I mean when should I go back to page one of this thread and reading along with the chapters?

Going my Mangadex releasedates, Chapter 48 was the newest when the thread started.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Lurking Haro posted:

Going my Mangadex releasedates, Chapter 48 was the newest when the thread started.

Almost there - thanks!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dolash posted:

if you enjoy this manga you will enjoy one piece for the same reasons

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Kanos posted:

This sums it up pretty well:

Courier has a plot arc where two mages are forced into taking increasingly irrelevant and hopeless jobs that grind them into paste to barely make end's meet, and matters come to a head when their next assignment is going to be to literally be stuffed in a new wagon machine that barely keeps them alive while squeezing them for magic power to fuel itself, basically forcing them to say "gently caress this" and join a group of anti-government terrorists.

It's definitely told in the style of absurdist dark humor, and those two mages basically become Fantasy Team Rocket in the process, but it's still a bleak story a fair amount of the time.

That's definitely depressingly realistic to how many guilds treated their apprentices and journeymen. In the less industrialized regions, it was these abused people who made up much of the mobs in the revolutions of 1848. Despite the fantasy tropes and the comedy, this is a manga about the rise of the bureaucratic state in the early modern period over the endless petty wars of the medieval aristocracy. It's still definitely worth reading though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Got through the next volume and I was not ready for Senshi's backstory. I had sort of assumed he'd been in a famine, since his attitude toward food was evocative of stories you hear about people who survived the dustbowl and the Great Depression, but I didn't expect it to imply full-on cannibalism!

I'm finding I don't have the best handle on the... maturity level? Rating? that this series is aiming at. Based on the first volume I figured this was downright kid-friendly and safe to recommend to anyone, more or less, but I was reading the chapter that takes place in the memory of the old kingdom while on the bus and had to shut the volume very quickly when I turned the page and saw a bunch of naked minotaurs. It's definitely bloody, Kabru full-on slit monster-Falin's throat and the dragon crunched off Laius's leg, but the whiplash can be difficult to keep a handle on at times.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 4, 2022

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Dolash posted:

I had sort of assumed he'd been in a famine, since his attitude toward food was evocative of stories you hear about people who survived the dustbowl and the Great Depression, but I didn't expect it to include full-on cannibalism!
Technically it didn't. :eng101:

Rereading that chapter still breaks my heart. The tears in his eyes, realizing he's finally free of the fear that's haunted him all these years.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Dolash posted:

I'm finding I don't have the best handle on the... maturity level? Rating? that this series is aiming at. Based on the first volume I figured this was downright kid-friendly and safe to recommend to anyone, more or less, but I was reading the chapter that takes place in the memory of the old kingdom while on the bus and had to shut the volume very quickly when I turned the page and saw a bunch of naked minotaurs. It's definitely bloody, Kabru full-on slit monster-Falin's throat and the dragon crunched off Laius's leg, but the whiplash can be difficult to keep a handle on at times.

it's pretty common for adventure manga (hxh obvious example) to start out somewhat kid-friendly while adding more mature themes later on for character development / suspense reasons so i'm not entirely sure what point you're getting at

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Episode 1: Haha, Bulma hit Goku with her car and then shot him in the head with a handgun and he only got mad like someone hit him in the head with a frisbee, how whimsical!

Episode 101: Goku finds the Dragon Ball gone and his friend Krillin dead.

What happened to this show's tone????

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

euroshopper posted:

it's pretty common for adventure manga (hxh obvious example) to start out somewhat kid-friendly while adding more mature themes later on for character development / suspense reasons so i'm not entirely sure what point you're getting at

Maybe they're giving it a readthrough as a way of recommending some manga to a younger relative or friend?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Maybe they're giving it a readthrough as a way of recommending some manga to a younger relative or friend?

Is YA fiction that much different nowadays? I remember really getting into the Animorph series back in the day and the first book was already hosed up Kids find an alien that crash landed who gives them the means to combat alien brain slugs that are infiltrating earth. Then said alien loving dies while being eaten alive and one of the protags discovers that his own older brother has been mind jacked and things snowball from there. Once we get into warcrime territory I think I just accepted there would be no happy ending and I was kind of right.

Dungeon Meshi is pretty normal is what I'm trying to say.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

Is YA fiction that much different nowadays? I remember really getting into the Animorph series back in the day and the first book was already hosed up Kids find an alien that crash landed who gives them the means to combat alien brain slugs that are infiltrating earth. Then said alien loving dies while being eaten alive and one of the protags discovers that his own older brother has been mind jacked and things snowball from there. Once we get into warcrime territory I think I just accepted there would be no happy ending and I was kind of right.

Dungeon Meshi is pretty normal is what I'm trying to say.

Oh Animorphs. I remember this one scene where one of the kids gets super hosed up after transforming into a wolf or something, and she has like nightmares about her teeth growing out? Something like that. And then she wakes up and brushes her teeth until her gums bleed. As a young teen I was like, what the gently caress. It's not even a violent combat scene or anything, it was just grisly on a visceral and relatable level that completely wrecked my mind that I had to put the book down and it even stuck to me to this day, like 20 years later.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Oh Animorphs. I remember this one scene where one of the kids gets super hosed up after transforming into a wolf or something, and she has like nightmares about her teeth growing out? Something like that. And then she wakes up and brushes her teeth until her gums bleed. As a young teen I was like, what the gently caress. It's not even a violent combat scene or anything, it was just grisly on a visceral and relatable level that completely wrecked my mind that I had to put the book down and it even stuck to me to this day, like 20 years later.

I'm wondering if this is related to the scene where Cassie picks at her teeth while in human form and realizes she still has the flesh of an alien she just killed stuck in there.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
No spoiling Animorphs itt unless you can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the next Dungeon Meshi chapter won't be an Animorphs crossover :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Alacron posted:

I'm wondering if this is related to the scene where Cassie picks at her teeth while in human form and realizes she still has the flesh of an alien she just killed stuck in there.

I think it was! Good god that was a brutal series sometimes, and it actually depicted in a somewhat realistic fashion the horrific effects of being child soldiers.

Or like think of the scene in Harry Potter (I forget which book) but someone uses a torture curse on one of the wizard kids? That was pretty awful too.

My point here is that there's often pretty violent or intense scenes in YA fiction, and the things I've seen in Dungeon Meshi are around or actually a little tamer than some of the scenes in YA Novels.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think the non combat moment that's always stuck with me, besides the dread of losing control of one's body and being witness to the things another entity would make it do. (Which by the way is why I universally hate the idea of mind control in any medium) Would probably be when Tobias Seems like he has a chance at a normal life when his "cousin" shows up claiming to have known his dad and bearing a will. He winds up finding out it's a trap by Visser Three by pure luck and during the reading of the will when the Lawyer outright says that Tobias' dad is Elfangor he manages to not give himself up because the many months spent as a hawk have made it so he forgot how to properly express emotions.

SexyBlindfold posted:

No spoiling Animorphs itt unless you can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the next Dungeon Meshi chapter won't be an Animorphs crossover :colbert:
Senshi teaching the Andalites how to grow dungeon fauna that have a strong enough taste to be pleasing ingested through hooves. Then blowing their minds further when they morph human and eat his cooking properly. Meanwhile Laius is in the background running around as a Hippogriff as everyone tries to get him to morph back before the 2 hour limits hits. :allears: Such is a story that will never be.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

euroshopper posted:

Just that I'm not very acclimatized to the standards and expectations involved in adventure manga, having relatively little experience with manga full stop. It's not a critique of these choices in the story, just that I definitely didn't expect them and have had to reassess my expectations as a result. I don't actually have to worry about accidentally recommending it to children or anything.

The tonal whiplash in both writing and art when moving between comedy and drama can be strong, but it's also fun and fairly well-managed. I was certainly happy to see Senshi's reaction when he learned that he hadn't cannibalized one of his fellow dwarves after all, it was a surprisingly touching conclusion to see that his darkest fears hadn't come to pass.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 5, 2022

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

somepartsareme posted:

Going to use this opportunity to plug Heterogenous Linguistics, a manga about a human linguist living with fantasy beast-people to try to understand and document their languages. It reminds me a lot of Dungeon Meshi but with language instead of food

Reading Heterogenous Linguistics, a manga about language, via fan-translated japanese-to-english, is a great way to feel like you're too dumb to follow the plot.

give it a shot though I might *actually* be too stupid for that manga.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crasical posted:

Reading Heterogenous Linguistics, a manga about language, via fan-translated japanese-to-english, is a great way to feel like you're too dumb to follow the plot.

Irl linguistics is already a weird and confusing thing not withstanding how each language/dialect (this is a debate distinction) has its own sets of sounds and intonations that might be unique compared to its relatives and possess certain parts of speech or tenses or grammatical ordering of such that others do not.

Then this one goes, "Well what about non-verbal, non-written modes of communication?"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Crasical posted:

It has an official translation if you think that might help. Obviously you’d need to pay for it but hopefully the translation is a bit higher quality and easier to follow

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
https://mangadex.org/chapter/56081444-64b7-43f6-b446-264e76195a3c/1

New chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!