Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Coming from a poor sap that actually preordered RG Unit 04, they could have ditched the shield if they gave it the drill fists it had the last time the Eva appeared in any material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Finally!

https://twitter.com/gundambase_t/status/1528933895210577920?s=20&t=YOSTrcpRcz6FZejiI3BdjA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That name just sounds so inappropriate somehow.

"Hey baby; Come hop on my Booster Bed... :wiggle:"

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
finally Gundam can go white water rafting

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I built the RG EVa Unit 03 torso. Even by RG standards, this thing has a lot of parts

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
RG Hi-Nu's plated silver is pissing me off, too many nub marks. Even if they're small and mostly out of the way it's still too many.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

wdarkk posted:

RG Hi-Nu's plated silver is pissing me off, too many nub marks. Even if they're small and mostly out of the way it's still too many.

i absolutely LOVE the EX silver gundam marker. it replicates that plated silver look really well. not sure how far along you are but it would probably cover up those nub marks pretty well

https://newtype.us/p/g263tGJaUDZYovxN9Wcw/h/gundam-marker-ex-xgm100-plated-silver

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is more porcelain than plastic but I thought of you guys and I don’t know a better thread-

I was waking by Hermés in nyc and saw this ashtray in the window. I think it’s only $740

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

For some reason my local comic shop had a couple 1/100 Gallop Type Walker Machine kits

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

For some reason my local comic shop had a couple 1/100 Gallop Type Walker Machine kits

Yeah, one of my local model places had a bunch of Xabungle kits, so I assume Bandai did a big reprint of the whole line.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, one of my local model places had a bunch of Xabungle kits, so I assume Bandai did a big reprint of the whole line.

I'm pretty happy about it, the Gallop is one of my low key favorite robots. And it's a good excuse to finally learn weathering

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The RG Eva unit 03 has lost a lot of goodwill with this insane wrist construction

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Assembled my Kimaris Vidar (I am not great at taking photos).

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 27, 2022

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Here's my WIP for the past few weeks, local hobby shop is having a Build Fighters contest the first weekend of June so I'm in the home stretch. I was originally going to do more traditional Spallow colors where the primary color is white and the accent is yellow and it ended up looking like a McDonalds promo so I hard searched any of the Casval ver. color schemes and swerved to that.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I assume this was known already, but considering the talk of shortages, I mention just in case. Bandai spirits has a new factory just to make more gunpla kits. It is scheduled for 2024 though.

Source:
https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Trade/From-steel-to-Gundam-Japan-s-changing-exports

Also mentions why they aren't going to opening any plants for gunpla in china or elsewhere any time soon (technicians and mold security).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

I assume this was known already, but considering the talk of shortages, I mention just in case. Bandai spirits has a new factory just to make more gunpla kits. It is scheduled for 2024 though.

Source:
https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Trade/From-steel-to-Gundam-Japan-s-changing-exports

Also mentions why they aren't going to opening any plants for gunpla in china or elsewhere any time soon (technicians and mold security).

And that really reinforces my theory on Cross Silhouette being wrapped up in favor of bringing back EX. When you're loaded to capacity, it's nice to have something you can offload on foreign partners, and CS involved too much proprietary tech to safely ship the molds over, even if they could trust the overseas factories to maintain tolerances. Meanwhile, the EX are decades behind the standard releases.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Zodack posted:

Here's my WIP for the past few weeks, local hobby shop is having a Build Fighters contest the first weekend of June so I'm in the home stretch. I was originally going to do more traditional Spallow colors where the primary color is white and the accent is yellow and it ended up looking like a McDonalds promo so I hard searched any of the Casval ver. color schemes and swerved to that.

Where'd you get the weapons?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Where'd you get the weapons?

The sword looks like it came from the Asteroth Origin, I think.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Close - sword is from an old Kimaria Vidar I had, the Gatling gun is from a build fighters tri accessory set. I forget what it's called, something-arms, but it was the same set of arms and weapons on the GM cardigan

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zodack posted:

Close - sword is from an old Kimaria Vidar I had, the Gatling gun is from a build fighters tri accessory set. I forget what it's called, something-arms, but it was the same set of arms and weapons on the GM cardigan

Powered Arms Powereder, a delightful name.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
I need some noob advice.
  • How do you make weapons pop, especially slabs of single plastic shades? Swords I've got silver paint for, guns not so much.
  • How do you panel line really dark colours like navy/black parts?
  • Do you panel line around sharp profile changes or just the recessed etchings? I've tried a bit of both (including edges gray, proper panel lines black) but can't decide which I prefer. I tend to wash away a LOT of paint/ink if I do edges as well as etches though.
  • Do you paint hands at all? All the sharp edges feel like they could benefit from a splash of wash or something to make the details stand out more.
  • Is it possible to panel line ABS plastic like Kotobukiya kits without topcoat? I have no spray booth. I know gundam markers are no good for this, but what about microns?
  • Is there a site with common simple modifications listed? Like "HGUC-### you can safely split the front skirt into two pieces" type stuff

Then I'd like some kit suggestions to round out my backlog, as reviewers seem to be pretty divided on a couple of designs I like, and they're old enough that flaws that wouldn't be forgiven in more recent kits are omitted from the review.

For the Zeta, Hyakushiki, ZZ (maybe FAZZ?) and maybe the Unicorn (not into the Phenex/Perfectibility), if I don't care about transforming them at all and don't want to get PG/EXs, which grades are the best? I know the RGs would be old-style stick-figure frames that turn into hand grenades / need tightening and glue, which probably means HG or MG, but there's stuff going on with Revives, 2.0's and ver Ka's?

Going a bit wider, what are the best Macross Valkyries? I probably want to pick up a -1A or -1S from DYRL / original series, and then one more from the overall franchise in general. Preferably new enough to be able to avoid the old "toothbrush to remove release agent" stuff, though I'm aware that gunpla levels of "no paint or glue required" probably isn't going to happen.

Are there any kits of the LOGH ships? Some of the designs from the newer series look like they were made with it in mind, though the older ones aren't turn-offs either.

And finally, are there any gunpla style snap-fit jets / tanks / battleship kits out there? The booster kit on the Bandai ARX-7 being half a jet gave me the idea to look into this as mine went together really well despite reviewers hating it. The closest I've found so far is the Yamato 2199+ line, which tends to be quite expensive for what you get and usually still needs at least a bit of glue.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nullkigan posted:

For the Zeta, Hyakushiki, ZZ (maybe FAZZ?) and maybe the Unicorn (not into the Phenex/Perfectibility), if I don't care about transforming them at all and don't want to get PG/EXs, which grades are the best? I know the RGs would be old-style stick-figure frames that turn into hand grenades / need tightening and glue, which probably means HG or MG, but there's stuff going on with Revives, 2.0's and ver Ka's?

The RG Unicorn is actually pretty stable. The transformation is a bit fiddly (although it's remarkably well done in the details for the scale) but it you don't want to bother with it, you've got a mostly solid design. The skeleton era of RGs had a lot of molds with some level of issues, but even then a lot of them were okay to great.

The HG Unicorn isn't recommended. It's got a bit of a bad reputation, especially in Destroy mode.

The ZZ has a Ver Ka Master Grade, that's probably the best bet. Meanwhile, the Shiki has a MG 2.0 that's pretty nice looking. The HG Revive is a nice kit too, but it needs paint to get a good looking gold. And the Zeta... well, I haven't heard raves about any of them.

Nullkigan posted:

And finally, are there any gunpla style snap-fit jets / tanks / battleship kits out there? The booster kit on the Bandai ARX-7 being half a jet gave me the idea to look into this as mine went together really well despite reviewers hating it. The closest I've found so far is the Yamato 2199+ line, which tends to be quite expensive for what you get and usually still needs at least a bit of glue.

Yep. Some are trickier to get than others, since they don't get reprinted so often, but Bandai's got a fair number of them, as do some of the competitors. Kotobukiya has some pretty expensive Ace Combat snap-fit kits, Bandai's got Star Wars, there's Bandai Ultraman and Yamato pocket-sized kits that cost under ten bucks (although they need paint), but my favorite I've run across is probably Bandai's Gundam Ground War sets, which have a Mobile Suit as the centerpiece to an assortment of smaller 1/144 vehicles. (The Gundam comes with two hovertruck, the Zaku has two EFF tanks and a pair of Wappas)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Nullkigan posted:

Going a bit wider, what are the best Macross Valkyries? I probably want to pick up a -1A or -1S from DYRL / original series, and then one more from the overall franchise in general. Preferably new enough to be able to avoid the old "toothbrush to remove release agent" stuff, though I'm aware that gunpla levels of "no paint or glue required" probably isn't going to happen.

Are there any kits of the LOGH ships? Some of the designs from the newer series look like they were made with it in mind, though the older ones aren't turn-offs either.

For Valkyries, Hasegawa does have some fairly good kits for the more recent series but VF1s are all very old molds that are creeping slowly out of spec from what I've seen so probably not what you want. However, Max Factory's Plamax who previously put out a ridiculous 1/20 Valkrie are putting out a 1/72 VF-1A/S fighter kit at the end of the year promising 4 colors of plastic plus stickers though so no painting but it will probably need glue.

I don't know about jets and tanks, but the Fujimi Next line of battleships claims to be full color, no paint, no glue snap kits but I've never tried one myself. And if you're interested in cars at all Aoshima have their steadily growing 'The Snap Kit' line as well as small batch line of pre-painted models.

Also, seconding the RG recommendations above, the early ones did have a few flaws that got exaggerated and passed around the internet unchecked, but except for a few notable failures I'd say they're all good kits as long as you accept that they're models not action figures.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 30, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nullkigan posted:

I need some noob advice.
  • How do you make weapons pop, especially slabs of single plastic shades? Swords I've got silver paint for, guns not so much.

Hazard stripes

They make the weapons pop while also making it clear that they are weapons, because they're hazardous

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Another MODEROID's up for preorder - Knight's & Magic's Tzendolg and Tzendolimble.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Been a while since I posted here. My girlfriend got me the Eva Kiryu for my birthday. The box is huge. I've never done a gunpla of this scale before. I'm excited.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Been a while since I posted here. My girlfriend got me the Eva Kiryu for my birthday. The box is huge. I've never done a gunpla of this scale before. I'm excited.

That's the thing that got me into doing gunpla a month or two ago. It's still in the closet and hasn't been built yet, it's a bit intimidating.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Eva Kiryu... ?

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/6296fdae51fff-evangelion-and-kiryu-together-at-last.php

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nishiki get in the robot.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

the hg zaku ii revive is a recent kit right? does anyone know if it uses the same sort of structure as the hg origins zakus? those are extremely fun to build/pose and I dig the look of the revive

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

free hubcaps posted:

the hg zaku ii revive is a recent kit right? does anyone know if it uses the same sort of structure as the hg origins zakus? those are extremely fun to build and I dig the look of the revive

It's a new build. Much better arms with almost zero seam lines, rotating forearms and a new soft plastic skirting if you want a more anime style skirt movement instead of hard plates.

If you're looking for another one the Doan's Island Zaku that is coming out soon is built on the Origin frame but with a lot of new parts.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

It's a new build. Much better arms with almost zero seam lines, rotating forearms and a new soft plastic skirting if you want a more anime style skirt movement instead of hard plates.

If you're looking for another one the Doan's Island Zaku that is coming out soon is built on the Origin frame but with a lot of new parts.

oh that's great to hear, definitely going to grab one.

the Doan's custom is p-bandai exclusive right? it does look cool as hell

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sadly yes it's only P Bandai. I want it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Trying to add plaplates for extra details for my mg f91 2.0. I have now resigned myself to the fact since I'm now scribing, adding leds and pla plates, along with my work and family schedule, I will be finishing maybe 3 kits a year.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 2, 2022

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Monaghan posted:

Trying to add plaplates for extra details for my mg f91 2.0. I have now resigned myself to the fact since I'm now scribing, adding leds and pla plates, along with my work and family schedule, I will be finishing maybe 3 kits a year.

As long as you buy them at the same rate.

Enjoy your backlog explosion!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/matsujun24/status/1532638478936133632

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

For airbrush painters, how do you handle those types of abs pieces that come assembled on sprue, like the RG inner frame or the hands on this MG:

Do you just spray the whole thing, or try to mask off bits that slide together like joints or pistons?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Booyah- posted:

For airbrush painters, how do you handle those types of abs pieces that come assembled on sprue, like the RG inner frame or the hands on this MG:

Do you just spray the whole thing, or try to mask off bits that slide together like joints or pistons?

Paint the whole thing and gloss/flat coat the hell out of it.

If any paint chips bother you handbrush them. The chipping is usually not noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Monaghan posted:

Paint the whole thing and gloss/flat coat the hell out of it.

If any paint chips bother you handbrush them. The chipping is usually not noticeable.

cool, I'm painting it a grey thats very close to the plastic color so chipping is fine. I was mostly worried that thick paint would prevent the joints from working at all