Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Yeah, it's good to reach the understanding with your boss that "I won't go looking for trouble, but equally don't bring trouble to me. And asking me to commit fraud by writing one thing then doing another is absolutely bringing trouble."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Atopian posted:

Yeah, it's good to reach the understanding with your boss that "I won't go looking for trouble, but equally don't bring trouble to me. And asking me to commit fraud by writing one thing then doing another is absolutely bringing trouble."

Welcome to another exciting round of "Stupid Games, Stupid Prizes", I'm your host, FAA Inspector Dave, here to ask you questions about your written instructions telling people to violate consent decree settlement terms. Yes, I'm perfectly willing to wait while you shred those incriminating documents, and no, "No evidence or wrongdoing" doesn't exonerate you, and no your FAA certificate is no longer active.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We used to operate on an unofficial 'ask forgiveness not permission' policy. As we matured that became too much of a risk. So we switched to an 'Outrail spends stupid amounts of time and money applying for idiotic approvals to do work noone in their right mind would give a poo poo about even if they saw us do it'. we don't have time or money to do this.

Now we operate on an 'Outrail reads the acts and regulations very carefully, finds dubious loopholes, has a lower level official agree that it sounds about right and has them email confirmation just in case'.

Attaching assumed permission to a preemptive case for forgiveness seems to have worked so far.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

insta posted:

Ugh!

You don't even need to involve HR for this if your manager is remotely competent. You "take" the vacation now, work through it, then take the vacation later when HR thinks you're working. Nobody beyond you and your immediate team even need to know.
Boomer managers like to call a lot of things clock fraud that aren't actually clock fraud but this is actual clock fraud. You're leaving your whole rear end out to the mercy of an HR organization that just clearly demonstrated they don't care about you by changing accrual with minimum notice. Among other things this could be termination with cause even where you're otherwise protected.

Now I'm picturing the consent meme where it's you and your boss saying I consent while Jesus from HR is over there saying No Way.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

At no point have your reality be different from anything that has demonstrably been written / signed by you.

Not written down? Potentially OK.
Written by someone else and you can claim to not have seen it? Potentially OK.

Anything else is asking for trouble.

So, a key thing is: if you know you need to do something, and the situation is ambiguous, *do not seek clarification*, because then you might end up with something that you still definitely have to do, only now someone is on record telling you not to do it.
Morons asking questions in meetings ruin poo poo for everyone. The only acceptable reasons are that they're covering their rear end from a different angle, or they're just slow and don't understand what they're doing.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

champagne posting posted:

I'm willing to bet that your IT department is KPI'ed to poo poo and king among their numbers is tickets closed

Lol I will never, ever create a new ticket - just keep going up the chain until someone re-opens it.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Oh, PTO bullshit :allears:

Back in ye olde year of our Lord 2009, my mother's rear end in a top hat boss, owner of the business, decided to pay out her (roughly) $12k in PTO. This came back to gently caress me right in the rear end with a seven-foot Bad Dragon when I applied for FAFSA and Pell Grants for college. It took weeks with the financial aid office and about 30 forms and documents flying back and forth to prove conclusively that this was, indeed a one-time lump sum payout of back PTO. :argh:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Has anyone had the coworker type "Sends Unrequested Vacation Updates Instead of Enjoying Vacation?" Had a manager like that a few years ago who would send multiple lengthy PDF files of what they were doing in Italy that must have taken hours to type up. In current role a coworker on a tropical island keeps posting to a group chat and I'm wondering why they don't wait to share photos until after they return? Hope I never get broke brained enough to be unable to go without a work Gchat group for a few weeks.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My favourite old job PTO story was when I worked at Walmart (never stepped foot in one after I quit!)

I told my boss at the time about a music festival in the summer I was planning to go to, at least 3 months in advance, and then would remind them in the months leading up to it. Time off got approved from the first request, so tight.

Literally the week of the festival, and the last day of my work week before my vacation, the boss comes and is like "yeah it's just not gonna work you're gonna have to work those days." I was just finishing up lunch so I tossed out my trash and said "nope, I'm not. I have a paper trail of you approving it and I leave for it immediately after my shift today. Have a nice day!" and just walked past their speechless fuckfaced personage :blastu:

insta
Jan 28, 2009

zedprime posted:

Boomer managers like to call a lot of things clock fraud that aren't actually clock fraud but this is actual clock fraud. You're leaving your whole rear end out to the mercy of an HR organization that just clearly demonstrated they don't care about you by changing accrual with minimum notice. Among other things this could be termination with cause even where you're otherwise protected.

Now I'm picturing the consent meme where it's you and your boss saying I consent while Jesus from HR is over there saying No Way.

This might be why I can only work at small companies. I've had this situation happen before, and it played out exactly as it was supposed to with nobody really caring.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Has anyone had the coworker type "Sends Unrequested Vacation Updates Instead of Enjoying Vacation?" Had a manager like that a few years ago who would send multiple lengthy PDF files of what they were doing in Italy that must have taken hours to type up. In current role a coworker on a tropical island keeps posting to a group chat and I'm wondering why they don't wait to share photos until after they return? Hope I never get broke brained enough to be unable to go without a work Gchat group for a few weeks.

To me, that's exactly what Yammer is for since nobody looks at it

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

My favourite old job PTO story was when I worked at Walmart (never stepped foot in one after I quit!)

I told my boss at the time about a music festival in the summer I was planning to go to, at least 3 months in advance, and then would remind them in the months leading up to it. Time off got approved from the first request, so tight.

Literally the week of the festival, and the last day of my work week before my vacation, the boss comes and is like "yeah it's just not gonna work you're gonna have to work those days." I was just finishing up lunch so I tossed out my trash and said "nope, I'm not. I have a paper trail of you approving it and I leave for it immediately after my shift today. Have a nice day!" and just walked past their speechless fuckfaced personage :blastu:

I came home after college for a year to help my mom with health stuff, and got a job at a grocery store I had worked at in high school. I was an “Associate Manager” so I was basically the night crew manager. Mostly high school kids and whatever, it was an easy job and they weren’t trouble. The other two night crew managers were a 50-something biblical fundamentalist and a meth head. Both were pretty incompetent at a job that requires very little work and zero critical thinking. There was supposed to only be one night manager per evening, but they were both so bad that I had to close with them most nights if they were working.

Like 4 months in I took the weekend off to go to a festival. When I got back, not even clocking in just going to check the schedule, I was instantly bombarded by people being like “dude thank god you’re back”. In the three days I was off things had fallen apart so quickly, none of the basic maintenance and cleanup was done, several times the entire store basically had to shut down because neither of the other managers could do basic stuff necessary to keep registers working (this was a tiny store, like 4 people and a manager most nights), there was huge discrepancies in counting the tills, and produce had been left sitting out to rot over multiple days.

My first day back working the store manager pulled me into his office and was basically like “hey man, glad you’re back. I’m going to need you to start keeping an eye on the other night managers” and I was like “we’re all at the same level. Am I getting a promotion and a raise?” And of course it was “no no no, you’re just such a stellar employee I want you to teach them and blah blah blah”

I was like “listen man, I’m here for like 6 more months and I have this job to pay bills while I’m back here. If you want to promote me to head night manager and increase my pay sure, but I’m not going to manage my colleagues because they literally cannot remember the 4-digit passcode to unlock registers”. He wasn’t happy but like, what the gently caress man. You need to fix your poo poo if your store collapses when a 24 year old part time night manager needs 3 days off once a quarter.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

You love to see the "here's more responsibilities, what you want more money?? how could you even ask that of us, this is actually a privilege in itself!" path that happens everywhere. Part of the reason I'm looking for a new job now!

I got an email weeks ago that I was "approved" to help with certain procedures, and two of my colleagues were like "yeah this is so we can have coverage on the weekends. you can flex your time if/when that happens, and OF COURSE it's voluntary, but we just know you're so dedicated to the organization and the cause blah blah blah"

If it's voluntary why did nobody ask me? Or why didn't I... volunteer myself? Why didn't you offer to increase my salary instead of just saying I get to flex my time? Why is no one else getting trained in these procedures?

gently caress academia, gently caress being "dedicated", gently caress that garbage messaging strategy to try to get people invested in "being passionate about" poo poo to make you feel obligated to gently caress over yourself in service to a giant organization that couldn't care less about me and gently caress youuuuu

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

It really helps to not engage with messaging like that beyond the bare facts.

You know it's bullshit. They know it's bullshit.

My life has been a lot more serene since my mental filters have been clipping out all the poo poo about "unity" and "family" and what-the-gently caress-ever, replacing it with "$task $hours $deadline".

Although no joke I really do clip it out, so I had an awkward moment when someone said "what do you think of all this 'collegiality' stuff?", and I had to pause for several seconds before I remembered that was a popular motivational email buzzword this month.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Boss has gone out of town for another two-week vacation. What she did not communicate to anyone, even in the most informal way, is that she hired a salaried manager for front of house. The person who’s been doing FOH managerial duties for hourly is, rightly, loving furious.

She and I are both planning to have our two weeks notice ready to hand to the boss the day she gets back.

I’m still not sure if I want to send the email I’d been planning to send telling everyone I’ve changed pronouns, since I don’t plan to be here long enough for people to need to get used to it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don't wait for her to return for the two weeks notice

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Barudak posted:

Yeah that sounds like something that is the responsibility of the new FOH guy while she's out of town.

Just gtfo.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Barudak posted:

The least you can do is gently caress with her holiday.
So do it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

She and I are both planning to have our two weeks notice ready to hand to the boss the day she gets back.

N+1both of you put that notice in right now. Why the hell would you let your rear end in a top hat boss enjoy a vacation after loving you over? How is that even a question?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hyrax Attack! posted:

How could a combo of mandatory three days in the office, a "do what you feel like" masking policy, and a bake sale have led to dozens of confirmed cases and counting since last weekend? :iiam:

:lol: speaking of this, I'm now working from home again (second time in less than 6 weeks) due to a teammate coming in sick like an idiot. Despite guidelines saying "stay home if you even feel slightly sick", he trotted in & was hacking at the desk beside me a couple days last week & then we got sent home Wednesday. He was positive for COVID & based on some of my symptoms (brain fog, mild flu-like symptoms, hoarse voice) I'm guessing I actually got it this time around.

Meanwhile 2 more emails came in after that this week for even more COVID cases in the rest of the building, so far 3 different floors affected. People are so, so stupid.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BOOTY-ADE posted:

:lol: speaking of this, I'm now working from home again (second time in less than 6 weeks) due to a teammate coming in sick like an idiot. Despite guidelines saying "stay home if you even feel slightly sick", he trotted in & was hacking at the desk beside me a couple days last week & then we got sent home Wednesday. He was positive for COVID & based on some of my symptoms (brain fog, mild flu-like symptoms, hoarse voice) I'm guessing I actually got it this time around.

Meanwhile 2 more emails came in after that this week for even more COVID cases in the rest of the building, so far 3 different floors affected. People are so, so stupid.

Oh man that’s bad. Our MegaCorp was making a good effort to share info on office covid counts for a while until that quietly stopped and now it’s back to word of mouth and internal chatter. I know a neighboring building had 30+ in a weekend only because a friend told me, way to burn the good will the company had slowly built up by allowing WFH, sharing info each day, and having on site vaccine distribution when those were hard to come by. Now if a neighboring team is 50% positive no way to know and people are confused about if they need to burn sick days when recovering.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
The best and most chaotic advice I’ve gotten so far indicates that what I should do is send the pronoun email and then a couple days later email my notice to my boss while she’s still in the middle of the vacation. So I think that’s the route I’m taking.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Barudak posted:

My rear end in a top hat department head was out three weeks ago. On Tuesday, her first day back, she gave her monthly "state of the department" talk and in inquiring each of the department heads as to how things had been going, learned what we all knew the previous week; the manager of technical operations had given his notice while the head was gone and his last day was this coming Friday.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Atopian posted:

It really helps to not engage with messaging like that beyond the bare facts.

You know it's bullshit. They know it's bullshit.

My life has been a lot more serene since my mental filters have been clipping out all the poo poo about "unity" and "family" and what-the-gently caress-ever, replacing it with "$task $hours $deadline".

Although no joke I really do clip it out, so I had an awkward moment when someone said "what do you think of all this 'collegiality' stuff?", and I had to pause for several seconds before I remembered that was a popular motivational email buzzword this month.

:hmmyes:

I'm 100% with you here. I'm passionate/care about about the overall mission of what the organizations I work within do, but the actual orgs themselves? loooooool get hosed. I've never said anything to the effect of "I'm passionate about ORGANIZATION" it's always been "I am fulfilled by performing work that, in one way or another, helps people out". That always gets misconstrued though, so :shrug:

My coworker tried this on me like last week when he was like "oh hey JT, there's this volunteer thing on saturday that our department(read: him cause he's the only member other than me which is another long story) usually attends to try to increase outreach. I can't go... could you look at your schedule and tell me you're interested?" I just paused for a second and said, I'll look at my calendar, oh nope, I'm not going to do that. And then dropped the subject completely. gently caress outta here with asking me to come in on a saturday when you're already trying to volunteer me for more of that poo poo! And when that's not even remotely close to any of my responsibilities! We have an entire outreach department!

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Always a good sign when your company's response to the employee satisfaction survey is to remind us that having a good manager is more important than making more money or having better benefits.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Workplace is changing our insurance plans yet again (they change it nearly every year). Naturally they're loving everyone over in the process - my monthly costs are going to go up something like $500 if this goes through, and I don't have even a third of that in budget wiggle room. We already bled several of our most senior people who were effectively running departments singlehandedly, on account of their health insurance skyrocketing, and that's before this went through. Company keeps chasing the lowest possible cost to them while not caring that it's going to cost them people and not replacing the people they lose.

God one of these applications needs to work out already.

Sat in on the telemed meeting for this in advance of our in-person meeting, and lmao everyone in the company is heated. They had to cut off right when they finished to avoid answering any of the many angry questions, including people realizing they'll be paying 4 times their previous premiums for less coverage. It's gonna be a complete shitshow next week when they have to defend this in front of people.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gwarm01 posted:

Always a good sign when your company's response to the employee satisfaction survey is to remind us that having a good manager is more important than making more money or having better benefits.

Our company got bought out a few years back and at the last town hall, the dude in charge of our side of things responded to the survey results during a town hall by saying we were lucky to have been bought by the parent company (We were actually doing fine, the CEO just saw a chance to make mad cash and retire without admitting it was time for him to retire).

I wonder why our morale is so low...

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Our company got bought out a few years back and at the last town hall, the dude in charge of our side of things responded to the survey results during a town hall by saying we were lucky to have been bought by the parent company (We were actually doing fine, the CEO just saw a chance to make mad cash and retire without admitting it was time for him to retire).

I wonder why our morale is so low...

And the gleeful face in your avatar is the face of the presenter as he burned the bridge to less than cinders

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

D34THROW posted:

And the gleeful face in your avatar is the face of the presenter as he burned the bridge to less than cinders

LOL, it's an open secret his days are numbered. They're being slow about it probably because he needs his precious golden parachute, but the shufflings happening with the executives make it pretty clear he's nearly out the door.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I work for Company E. Not a bad firm, a medium-large enterprise in my region.
Company E got bought out by Company C. A huge global enterprise.

We all get told that there's going to be a novation to transfer our employment from E to C. Normal and expected.
Instead of a novation, we have to sign what is effectively a new contract with a two page Annexure that has a completely new non-compete and non-poach.

In the "integration sessions" (teams meetings) many people have understandable questions about what this Annexure actually means.
Instead of admitting that they sprung this on us without notice, and carefully explaining the clauses that will and won't be relevant to our contracts, they tell us it's all standard and not to worry about it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'd worry about it if they'd tell me not to worry about it.

Lots.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

~Coxy posted:

Run

~Coxy posted:

We all get told that there's going to be a novation to transfer our employment from E to C. Normal and expected.
Instead of a novation, we have to sign what is effectively a new contract with a two page Annexure that has a completely new non-compete and non-poach.

Keep running

~Coxy posted:

In the "integration sessions" (teams meetings) many people have understandable questions about what this Annexure actually means.
Instead of admitting that they sprung this on us without notice, and carefully explaining the clauses that will and won't be relevant to our contracts, they tell us it's all standard and not to worry about it.

:sever:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

So... did you sign it?
Did others?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Please tell us you at least responded to "It's all standard, don't worry about it" with "then you should have no problem explaining to us exactly what you're trying to make us sign - since it's standard and not at all a concern for anyone."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

~Coxy posted:

This happened at my previous job. Didn't happen this fast though, got bought out by a large corporation, and then about 2 years later new non-compete/poach contract came out. It was for managers and up only though. They did give them the option of not signing it with the stipulation that they were no longer eligible for bonuses or pay raises. A lot of them didn't sign it and are still there having not got a bonus or pay increase in the last 3-4 years, which is insane, but knowing some of them I don't think they could find something else.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MarxCarl posted:

This happened at my previous job. Didn't happen this fast though, got bought out by a large corporation, and then about 2 years later new non-compete/poach contract came out. It was for managers and up only though. They did give them the option of not signing it with the stipulation that they were no longer eligible for bonuses or pay raises. A lot of them didn't sign it and are still there having not got a bonus or pay increase in the last 3-4 years, which is insane, but knowing some of them I don't think they could find something else.

What sort of consideration were they offered to sign?

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

What sort of consideration were they offered to sign?

Not really sure on the full details of what they were offered for signing, other than continue to maybe get a yearly raise and bonus. I only heard about it second hand from some higher up buddies, and then someone else started getting pissed about it earlier this year cause he hadn't got a bonus or a raise because of it, he isn't the brightest bulb. From what I was told, it was pretty standard can't go to a competitor , vendor, supplier within 2 years, they couldn't bring clients over, couldn't actively recruit former employees... nothing about what was in it for them to sign it, maybe just showing fealty to the corporate overlords to spare them?

Having known people who signed it, and people who didn't and then them leaving for what could be interpreted as competitors it didn't seem to have much teeth.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

We transitioned our Supplier Portal over to a different service over the weekend so all last week I was telling my suppliers to get any forms/labels/invoices submitted before close of business on Friday because I was sure it wouldn't be a smooth transfer. I was right, every service on the portal or connected to it is presently not functional for anyone and a general "poo poo's hosed" ticket has been created by our IT people so anyone effected can sign on to that instead of having everyone issue their own. Just hilariously predictable, but apparently I was the only one between two teams who thought this could go badly. All shipments from vendors are halted until this can be fixed because they can't get in to the system to start the process. This also means vendors are unable to see if we've sent them POs or for them to submit formal requests for information to our quality or engineering teams. I'm apparently one of the few people who always send digital copies of purchase orders directly to my contact at the vendor, so while they can't see and accept my orders, they know they exist and won't have stuff just show up when the portal gets back into operation.

Amazing stuff. This covers ALL of the companies under our corporate umbrella, too. Millions, maybe hundreds of millions, of dollars in orders and shipments are just not moving in any way while this gets fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I thought non compete clauses and that kind of thing were not really enforceable?