Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
"The boring kind of Nonsense" is what I'd go with.

Edit: Did I seriously snipe with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
drat Choujin X is really loving good right now. The monster designs are all so menacing.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/v2odzg/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_26_may_30_2022/

Earthchild has been near the bottom of the rankings lately, but not the very bottom; even with Ayashimon and Shugomaru gone, it still has Doron Dororon below it.

I don't especially want Doron to be cancelled, but I'd be a lot less upset about its cancellation than I am about Ayashimon; it's kind of generic, isn't it? Like a mix of Black Clover, Candy Flurry, Demon Slayer, and Bleach - and those aren't even particularly unique series to begin with. It's at its best when it leans into the Candy Flurry-style character dynamics, but it feels like it's largely abandoned those by basically dumping the original female lead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most of what i like about doron now is the new maybe female lead. there was nothing wrong with the first one, but this weird stalker with goku hair that is also very competent at her job is great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah Doran can die for all I care. Get rid of the most interesting part of the series for no good reason and you've got nothing left.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i liked ginchiyo but don't feel like she has been a particularly big loss when we've got heisuke/toma/naotora all in the mix. though it has felt a bit like they're leaning on naotora more than the others, so some better balance or new blood could help.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Super Phone seems like it has legs to me.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

I personally feel like Doron’s character interactions/dynamics are too paint-by-numbers to be interesting or good. Even the side characters are just quirky without having appealing personalities.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Desperate Character posted:

drat Choujin X is really loving good right now. The monster designs are all so menacing.

Definitely. I'm also liking the new Tokio and Asuma dynamic. Asuma was always presented as perfect, when he had a giant jealousy streak.

Silver2195 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/v2odzg/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_26_may_30_2022/

Earthchild has been near the bottom of the rankings lately, but not the very bottom; even with Ayashimon and Shugomaru gone, it still has Doron Dororon below it.

I don't especially want Doron to be cancelled, but I'd be a lot less upset about its cancellation than I am about Ayashimon; it's kind of generic, isn't it? Like a mix of Black Clover, Candy Flurry, Demon Slayer, and Bleach - and those aren't even particularly unique series to begin with. It's at its best when it leans into the Candy Flurry-style character dynamics, but it feels like it's largely abandoned those by basically dumping the original female lead.

Earth Child is fascinating in that it seems to have a Streisand effect going on. Just check different Reddits/forums. It gets more discussion than the other series that we actually consider good. Simply because it's so bad everyone is wondering how and why. I simply can't imagine it surviving long, but at the same time, there's so much attention for how bad it is I wouldn't be surprised if it survives a little longer.

I miss the old passive aggressive commander from Doron. I'm not a fan of the new stalker person. I feel like Doron is cycling through it's secondaries in a weird way.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Super Phone seems like it has legs to me.

Agreed

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Desperate Character posted:

The author is right up there with Claymore’s author in the group of people who should just be allowed to draw weird messed up monsters all day.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Earthchild is going to get an anime adaptation with multiple seasons, a movie, and spin-offs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The heavy metal/fantasy manga Bastard is apparently getting a new anime adaption on Netflix starting June 30th

https://www.netflix.com/title/81281582

Never read the series myself or watched the original OVA but I hear good things about it

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 2, 2022

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Putting in a full hearted recommendation for Gachiakuta. Currently serialized in shonen magazine weekly

Its a fun shonen with pretty stylized art (thats rough at first but cleans up and finds a consistent goal in 5ish chapters), and I like the way the cast interacts.

The setting is a the world that is divided into people who live above the clouds and those below. The people above have no idea whats beneath the clouds and dispose of their trash by throwing it off the edge. They also execute (they believe, since none return) criminals, the poor and lower classes by throwing them off. Theres a severe divide between the high and low classes thats baked into how their society acts and treats people, essentially living by a caste system.

Below is a world tainted by the miasma of trash thrown by the people above, and that gathers into beasts which can only be defeated by people wielding jinki: objects of personal and emotional value that awaken to power from the care and belief of their owners.

Im very much enjoying it so far but it hasnt had its real hook moment yet, but what is here is interesting.
Rudo is a good boy.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 2, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It was a difficult decision but cancelling One Piece to make room for more Earth Child was the right move.

5 years from now, WSJ will be nothing but Earth Child and various Earth Child spin-offs about other Earth Children. There'll be an Earth Children school with manga of various other genres taking place at it.

Mumbling posted:

I personally feel like Doron’s character interactions/dynamics are too paint-by-numbers to be interesting or good. Even the side characters are just quirky without having appealing personalities.

Something about the characters feels very vaguely similar to World Trigger for me (though World Trigger has its uniquely great action set-pieces to carry it, plus the characters work well as basically "sports manga characters," which is what World Trigger is at its core).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 2, 2022

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Earth Child is....the Morbius of manga?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sindai posted:

Fhe beat part of earthchild is when he said "ITS MAMORIN' TIME" amd he mamoru'd all over those guys

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sindai posted:

Dammit you beat me to it!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Larryb posted:

The heavy metal/fantasy manga Bastard is apparently getting a new anime adaption on Netflix starting June 30th

https://www.netflix.com/title/81281582

Never read the series myself or watched the original OVA but I hear good things about it

I read some of it when I was a teen. All I remember is that it was extremely horny (I feel like the protagonist was a creep, but it's been a while) and all the spells were names of metal bands.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I read some of it when I was a teen. All I remember is that it was extremely horny (I feel like the protagonist was a creep, but it's been a while) and all the spells were names of metal bands.

Oh yeah, he's definitely a creep

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shinji2015 posted:

Oh yeah, he's definitely a creep

He's the titular Bastard for a reason from checking.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

All I remember is that it was extremely horny (I feel like the protagonist was a creep, but it's been a while) and all the spells were names of metal bands.

A young Araki starts taking notes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Putting in a full hearted recommendation for Gachiakuta. Currently serialized in shonen magazine weekly

Been reading this since it got picked up, to me it's what Diamond in the Rough is to other people, a fairly rote shonen demographic story but enjoyable. I really think the art is what carries it for me at the moment because it's got that punk kind of vibe. But the most recent chapter is promising we'll finally get the MC out of his doldrums and properly engaging with the story, not just being pushed through it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So what determines if something gets a closing chapter? I just remembered that after being cancelled/ended both Agravity Boys and 9 Balls dragon parade got special closing chapters.
Agravity boys at least ran for over a year and seemed to be popular enough. No idea over 9 balls.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

So what determines if something gets a closing chapter? I just remembered that after being cancelled/ended both Agravity Boys and 9 Balls dragon parade got special closing chapters.
Agravity boys at least ran for over a year and seemed to be popular enough. No idea over 9 balls.

Sometimes they're done to pad out the page counts for the volume release. That is, the manga couldn't fit easily into (X) number of volumes, so they put in some bonus material, like an old one-shot by the author, or they let the author have a bonus chapter to bring things to a better stopping point.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
List of Jump series that were unjustly canceled: Ayashimon, Candy Flurry, The Last Saiyuki, Phantom Seer, Red Hood.

List of Jump series that were justly canceled, but should have gotten a few more chapters for a more coherent ending: Guardian of the Witch and...actually I can’t think of any other examples.

Anyone have any manga to add to either list?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
MxO is gonna be on that first list for sure.

Edit: I'm conflicted about Red Hood being on the first list rather than the second because it lost a lot of steam very fast and by the time the boat training arc hit I was checked out completely. Maybe it would have found it's feet afterward when they were into a better arc with the actual antagonists but I dunno if the interesting meta stuff near the end was something it would have naturally done or just something to wrap it up.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 3, 2022

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pierson posted:

Edit: I'm conflicted about Red Hood being on the first list rather than the second because it lost a lot of steam very fast and by the time the boat training arc hit I was checked out completely. Maybe it would have found it's feet afterward when they were into a better arc with the actual antagonists but I dunno if the interesting meta stuff near the end was something it would have naturally done or just something to wrap it up.

Yeah, I guess you can argue that Red Hood was actually improved by the abruptness of the cancellation.

In general, just because I consider a series unjustly canceled doesn’t mean I’m unaware of its flaws. I think Phantom Seer suffered from the main character having a rather arbitrary and overpowered power set (like if Law was the main character of One Piece), Red Hood had some pacing problems, and Candy Flurry needed more of a distinctive “hook.”

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

List of Jump series that were unjustly canceled: Ayashimon, Candy Flurry, The Last Saiyuki, Phantom Seer, Red Hood.

List of Jump series that were justly canceled, but should have gotten a few more chapters for a more coherent ending: Guardian of the Witch and...actually I can’t think of any other examples.

How about a list of justly canceled: Ghost writer manga? I tell C? Cop and Dolphin? Shugomaru?

Candy Flurry had a bad start and clunky world building. I really liked the character interactions, but that was pretty much the only thing it had going for it and even those only came in the latter half of its short life. I'd say it was justly cancelled, even if I did enjoy it.
I would've liked to see a few extra chapters from Last Saiyuki but it wasn't exactly great either.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

How about a list of justly canceled: Ghost writer manga? I tell C? Cop and Dolphin? Shugomaru?

Demon’s Plan and Amalgam of Distortion come to mind. Tokyo Shinobi Squad was slightly less bad but still justly canceled. I haven’t read U19 but am willing to take others’ word for it that it was bad.

Edit: Also Neru, I guess.

Edit 2: And in the “haven’t read it, but am willing to believe it was crap” vein, Build King.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 3, 2022

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Darth TNT posted:

I'd throw Build King in that list for sure

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Shinji2015 posted:

I'd throw Build King in that list for sure

Ooh this lets me segue into Marry Grave being cancelled too soon but fortunately the author is now doing a fantasy building manga that is much better than Build King.

Edit: Also adding to the pile of justly cancelled is U19.

Vise the Stompy fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 3, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
samurai 8 was euthanized and it was long overdue

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Silver2195 posted:

Guardian of the Witch was bad and didn't deserve to have any more chapters. It was an incredibly generic manga that lacked any sort of creativity. I tell C, Ghostwriter, and Build King were bad, but at least it felt like they were trying to do something different.

Also speaking of Marry Grave, the author hinted he might be able to continue it at some point, but it would be a long time before that happens because of the manga he is currently doing.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Also, I only read the first few chapters of Bone Collection and never read Moriking, Zipman, or Our Blood Oath. How bad were they?

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

justice for Double Arts

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Silver2195 posted:

Also, I only read the first few chapters of Bone Collection and never read Moriking, Zipman, or Our Blood Oath. How bad were they?

Bone collection was a solid OK. Urusei Yatsura but a battle shonen.

Moriking wad a decent gag manga. It lived long enough to tell its story and deliver a few choice gags but mostly its was just decent.

Zipman was made by a MHA Assistant and it showed in the art (especially the teeth!) and storytelling, but it too was just ok. MHA captured lightning in a bottle somehow and trying to follow its lead just wont work without a great deal of change. The characters werent anything to write home about so it floundered.

Our blood oath sucked.

Jon Irenicus posted:

justice for Double Arts

Will they wont they highschool romance pays the bills though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pierson posted:

the meta stuff was getting hinted at before it was clearly getting cancelled so I think it must have been the idea from the start

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Haven't read Saiyuki or Phantom Seer, but Red Hood and Candy Flurry weren't really good enough. They had things to like about them, but nothing really stood out.

In general the cancelled series are usually pretty mediocre. Ayashimon was the only one in recent memory (at least in the "action/fighting" subgenre) that I thought had a chance before it was cancelled.

WSJ actually seems to be pretty good at picking manga in recent years. Most of the current running series are pretty great. Probably the most mediocre fighting manga in semi-recent years I can think of is Black Clover (and I don't think it'd make the cut it if it debuted now).

Rigged Death Trap posted:

MHA captured lightning in a bottle somehow and trying to follow its lead just wont work without a great deal of change. The characters werent anything to write home about so it floundered.

In hindsight, I think MHA benefited heavily from coming out at a time when the major series were coming to an end (or stalling out) + having extremely good art. Naruto was literally just a few months from ending, and Bleach was really really bad at the time (not that it got any better later). There was never anything particularly great about its writing, but it was "a very competent and well-drawn shounen" at a time when there weren't many around.

(I actually think that MHA can be compared pretty accurately with Naruto. Both have far stronger writing early on, and both have extremely good and distinct art. And both become much worse later on, though more-so in the case of Naruto.)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 3, 2022

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

WSJ actually seems to be pretty good at picking manga in recent years. Most of the current running series are pretty great. Probably the most mediocre fighting manga in semi-recent years I can think of is Black Clover (and I don't think it'd make the cut it if it debuted now).

Depends on how you look at it. For one thing, "fighting" is a pretty big qualifier here.

I guess there are several different types of mediocre-to-bad series that appear in Jump from time to time:
  • Generic new battle manga (Amalgam of Distortion, Demon's Plan).
  • Established battle manga that became a mess due to problems with pacing, cast management, etc. as the scope of the story expanded, and/or due to author burnout (Bleach).
  • Generic "non-battle battle manga" (PPPPPP). I'm not saying PPPPPP is awful, but there's not much in it that's specific to piano-playing, and it's striking how often it makes me think, "wait, didn't Food Wars do this exact plot point?"
  • Pure ecchi manga (Ayashiki Triangle).
  • Gag manga with basically only one joke (Shugomaru).
  • Very non-generic dramas, which feel aimless because the author didn't have a clear sense of how the premise translates into an actual story, let alone the structure of a weekly series (Time Paradox Ghostwriter, Earthchild).

With the obvious exception of the Bleach kind, Jump has become pretty good at filtering series like these out within 25 or so chapters. That said, I feel like instead of having to cancel series, editors could do a better job of either salvaging these series or filtering them out in advance by asking authors the right questions (like "what sets your protagonists apart from the other protagonists in this magazine?" or "why don't you take a hiatus and get some rest for a few weeks?" or "do you have any actual familiarity with the nominal subject of this non-battle battle manga?" or "what's going to happen in chapter 2?"). I assume that asking questions like those is part of an editor's job already to an extent, but I suspect that not all editors do an equally good job of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
To avoid being overly negative, here's an example of a manga that could have ended up in each category I listed in the hands of a worse author, but did a great job of avoiding those pitfalls:

• Generic new battle manga: The Elusive Samurai. (The perfect blend of battle manga and non-battle battle manga?)
  • Established battle manga that became a mess due to problems with pacing, cast management, etc. as the scope of the story expanded, and/or due to author burnout: One Piece. (OK, One Piece has some pacing/cast management problems, but it's definitely not a Bleach-level mess.)
  • Generic "non-battle battle manga": Akane-banashi. (The author clearly actually knows things about rakugo, and the antagonist is pretty interesting in a grounded way.)
  • Pure ecchi manga: Uh, Blue Box? (Really, it feels like Jump just stopped running horny stuff; even Undead Unluck is a lot less horny now. I guess Blue Box does do a great job of staying tasteful given how often the subtext is about a teenage boy trying very hard not to masturbate.)
  • Gag manga with basically only one joke: Witch Watch. (OK, Witch Watch is sometimes guilty of re-using jokes.)
  • Very non-generic dramas, which feel aimless because the author didn't have a clear sense of how the premise translates into an actual story, let alone the structure of a weekly series: Super Smartphone. (Well, it's still early enough that maybe I'm being premature in praising it, but I get the impression the author is consciously drawing on, e.g., Death Note as both a positive and a negative model, instead of just making up a new genre as he goes along.)