Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Digging out the stump of an old bush, I'm used to finding random blocks of concrete and old bits of trash buried near the foundation but this was just... :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Incredibly cool find.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Friend posted:

Digging out the stump of an old bush, I'm used to finding random blocks of concrete and old bits of trash buried near the foundation but this was just... :confused:

He swore he'd quit that life.. until everything in his life fell apart and he was dragged back in.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Friend posted:

This is the motorcycle anchor point, most houses built after 1973 have them.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Friend posted:

You'd better put those back before the gains goblins get a foothold.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

VelociBacon posted:

He swore he'd quit that life.. until everything in his life fell apart and he was dragged back in.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah, I'm thinking it's back day

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Iron-rich soil

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

PainterofCrap posted:

Iron-rich soil

Shrink-swole clay

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

nwin posted:

Is there anything difficult about choosing a type of carpet or installer? When I’ve rented, my landlord just went with the cheapest carpet at Home Depot or lowes, but my new house needs new carpet in three bedrooms and I’d like to not cheap out on it because I’d like it to last 10+ years.

Home Depot has some decent stuff (lifeproof) with a 15 year warranty but it’s $4 / square foot and I don’t know if that’s reasonable or not.

If you're not planning to install it yourself, you're probably going to have to buy from whoever is installing the carpet. I recommend calling the three or four biggest local places around and get quotes until you get a real idea of how much this is going to cost. I just had three bedrooms done (about 450sqft of actual carpeted room) and it was $2500 total installed. YMMV depending on demand in your area and what the sizes of your rooms are and what's being installed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mirthless posted:

If you're not planning to install it yourself, you're probably going to have to buy from whoever is installing the carpet. I recommend calling the three or four biggest local places around and get quotes until you get a real idea of how much this is going to cost. I just had three bedrooms done (about 450sqft of actual carpeted room) and it was $2500 total installed. YMMV depending on demand in your area and what the sizes of your rooms are and what's being installed.

OOC when you have carpet installed do they pull the existing baseboards and reinstall them after or? Just feels like that would add a lot to the cost but also would be kinda necessary to get it right, I dunno.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

VelociBacon posted:

OOC when you have carpet installed do they pull the existing baseboards and reinstall them after or? Just feels like that would add a lot to the cost but also would be kinda necessary to get it right, I dunno.
I've never installed carpet, but I've removed it several thousand times, and I'm not sure I've ever seen it under the baseboard. Maybe if you're going with something very low pile it could be advantageous?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

VelociBacon posted:

Everywhere I've been that had old carpet removed and new installed didn't touch the baseboards. In fact when this last happened in my parent's place the installers scraped the baseboards all to hell and we got to repaint them after they'd left.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

they dont touch them, they kinda tuck it underneath the baseboards. beyond the additional expense of removal/reinstallation, you'd have to caulk and paint over the freshly installed carpet, which is never advisable. other flooring gets done before trim & painting but carpet is always the last thing done.

i've been on a job where they just laid carpet over the existing flooring, so there wasn't even a gap between the baseboard and the subfloor, but you wouldn't have known ..didnt watch to see how they did it :negative:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

Generally with wood trim you can tuck it under, even if you have quarter-round pretty tight to the carpet. There's a little art to DIYing it well, but it's nothing to an installer. If you have flexible cove base (common in commercial office, pretty rare in residential I think) you better count on replacing it pro or not.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for all the responses, makes sense.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My garage is unfinished the and insulation is ripped to shreds in most places and full of cobwebs and dirt. Is it even doing anything for me at this point or should I just rip it all out?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That doesn't look like insulation that is "ripped to shreds" it looks like some foil backing ripped off, not even the kraft face underneath it.

The best solution here is to put up a vapor barrier and then sheetrock.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

they dont touch them, they kinda tuck it underneath the baseboards. beyond the additional expense of removal/reinstallation, you'd have to caulk and paint over the freshly installed carpet, which is never advisable. other flooring gets done before trim & painting but carpet is always the last thing done.
Huh. My parents always pulled the baseboards, painted them separately, then reinstalled. (You caulk baseboards? Huh.)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. My parents always pulled the baseboards, painted them separately, then reinstalled. (You caulk baseboards? Huh.)

You caulk the upper joint between the baseboard and the wall so you don't have a little crack. Depending how straight your walls are, it may be more or less noticeable.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Motronic posted:

That doesn't look like insulation that is "ripped to shreds" it looks like some foil backing ripped off, not even the kraft face underneath it.

The best solution here is to put up a vapor barrier and then sheetrock.

Here’s a better picture of a different spot

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Okay, so that's actually damaged insulation.

Same answer as before, except replace the insulation that needs replacing.

This is what's going to keep happening unless you finish the walls. Or just remove all the insulation and live with it that way. Insulation is not intended to be exposed and this is what happens to it when it's not been covered.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Was this for hardwood stained trim? That would make sense to me as the stain is super thin n messy and filling/staining the nail holes will be less noticeable. Never worked w stain grade trim before as I’m not that good yet, so I don’t really know.

If it was for mdf or painted trim, i don’t think it would be efficient since the paint is less messy and easier to paint in place. More importantly, the glossy or semi-gloss paint for the trim would reveal the touchups so I don’t think it would look very good.

Always remember: caulk & paint makes a carpenter what they aint :eng101: you caulk the top part where it lays against the wall, and you caulk (or use wood filler) the holes from the nails (And anything else that needs it lol)

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Spent the whole weekend stripping ancient sealer up off of the saltillo tile in our kitchen, which had gotten very patchy and gunky. Stripping and cleaning it all off was a huge pain and the new sealant ended up taking 24 hours longer than anticipated to cure. I am now looking at the before and after photos and I am like "I did all that work and my kitchen now looks 10% better in a way that pretty much only I can tell because I look at it all the time"

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

El Mero Mero posted:

I am now looking at the before and after photos and I am like "I did all that work and my kitchen now looks 10% better in a way that pretty much only I can tell because I look at it all the time"

Homeowner: A villain origin story

This is how it starts. You want to do the right thing, the right way and after an entire weekend of tedious labor you finish only to realize you will be the only person who will ever notice. With each job you take more shortcuts. Before you know it you're using MDF in ground contact situations, slapping caulk over anything that leaks, and pushing romex wires right into the back of the outlet vs using the screws, using toothpaste to fill drywall holes.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

what kinda weirdo has plain white toothpaste these days? No green stripe? No thanks.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I have a different but similar problem where we'll fix up something, for example kitchen cabinets, and they'll look good, but then that will make something else look even more poo poo than it was, like the flooring, so then we'll have to fix that, but then the vent covers and baseboards look poo poo, so we have to fix those now, etc etc.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

mutata posted:

I have a different but similar problem where we'll fix up something, for example kitchen cabinets, and they'll look good, but then that will make something else look even more poo poo than it was, like the flooring, so then we'll have to fix that, but then the vent covers and baseboards look poo poo, so we have to fix those now, etc etc.

We're actively avoiding painting our current house to avoid this. As soon as we paint the trim, ceilings, or walls, we'll see how bad the rest of it is and have to do it all.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

mutata posted:

Yeah, the other one is the scope creep problem where you're like "while I'm refinishing these floors I'll fix that cracked grout line!" and before you know it everything is dramatically worse than when you started. I waffled on whether to do the grout lines this weekend and am thankful as gently caress that I avoided the bait.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

xsf421 posted:

We're actively avoiding painting our current house to avoid this. As soon as we paint the trim, ceilings, or walls, we'll see how bad the rest of it is and have to do it all.

We painted the trim and walls before we moved in here almost 15 years ago, the doors got put on the "soon" list because I wanted to take them off, and strip the hinges of 60 years of paint.

They are still on that list, I have faith you can also actively ignore something in perpetuity :haw:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah, the other one is the scope creep problem where you're like "while I'm refinishing these floors I'll fix that cracked grout line!" and before you know it everything is dramatically worse than when you started. I waffled on whether to do the grout lines this weekend and am thankful as gently caress that I avoided the bait.

I have a grout line that I fill occasionally, because I know the right fix is to pull the tile and deal with the subpar mortar bed.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Can anyone convince me to remove and redo the gross caulk on 2 toilets on tile floor or would others in the thread hire this out (probably gonna be taskrabbit) to a pro?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's all sorts of stuff I want to do in the kitchen, but I know that basically whatever I do is going to require demoing down to the studs and subfloor and starting over to actually accomplish anything.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Inner Light posted:

Can anyone convince me to remove and redo the gross caulk on 2 toilets on tile floor or would others in the thread hire this out (probably gonna be taskrabbit) to a pro?
Could I convince you to remove it and not re-do it since it's completely unnecessary and promotes nothing but grossness?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah don't caulk the toilet to your floor, ew.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/caulk-around-toilet/

:shrug: I think it is required by code where I am

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I've got a toilet I want to pull and reset because it sits slightly out of level but somebody grouted the drat thing to the tile and I really don't want to deal with that

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Huh. You know, there are some compelling arguments there. Did I... Did I just have my opinion about something changed on the Internet??

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Toilet bases can have some clear caulk, as a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My floors are so uneven there's a 1/4" shim at the front of the toilet, and it's definitely got a thick bead of silicone around it.