Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is Harry Turtledove any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Short answer, no. The writing is abhorrent, just barely competent. It feels like reading Wikipedia articles. If reading about Hitler fighting against aliens is something you would still like to do despite the poor writing, go ahead. There’s a Turtledove let’s read in TBB, check it out for prose samples.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Short answer, no. The writing is abhorrent, just barely competent. It feels like reading Wikipedia articles. If reading about Hitler fighting against aliens is something you would still like to do despite the poor writing, go ahead. There’s a Turtledove let’s read in TBB, check it out for prose samples.

Ah, shame. Maybe that's why the lot was going for so cheap.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

3D Megadoodoo posted:

He wrote one short story I enjoyed called The Road Not Taken. 100% Hitler-free. It’s about aliens who invade Earth and end up getting more than they bargained for. It was a quick and fun read, and the only thing of his I’ve ever read. Maybe I would have hated the writing more had it been longer, but it wasn’t.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

If, instead, you really like white south african segregationists time traveling to give AK's to Lee so the south wins, you can read guns of the south!

don't, though, it's really bad

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

silvergoose posted:

If, instead, you really like white south african segregationists time traveling to give AK's to Lee so the south wins, you can read guns of the south!

Lol did he really write something like that? That like, goes beyond offensive into being funny, and then goes beyond funny into being sad. What a weirdo.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

silvergoose posted:

I rather enjoyed it. The most interesting parts of the book take place after the South wins the Civil War and the racist fanatics' plans blow up in their faces because they're racist fanatics.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Threw in the towel on the RCN series by David Drake. 60% through book 7, just got too bored to continue with the lower stakes.

This is my biggest issue with fantasy stuff. I find something that sounds kind of neat and then I notice it's book 1 of 5 or something

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
A lot of Turtledove's issues is that he doesn't know poo poo about history, thinks he knows history, and also writes as if his massive alterations in history he uses to do his alt-history stories would change literally nothing.

Like Spain defeating and conquering England and overthrowing the Royal family and burning Prostestants at the stake by the ENGLISH Inquisition?

Clearly, this would have changed very little about William Shakespeare's career.

EDIT: I wrote Spain twice.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 5, 2022

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

jackofarcades posted:

Finally got around to Ninefox Gambit and I'm halfway through book 2. Really enjoying that.

Same! I read Ninefox Gambit earlier this year and really dug it. I'm also halfway through the second one right now and will probably launch into the third as soon as I finish it (I definitely forgot a few things in the six months or so between Ninefox Gambit and Raven Strategem, so I want to finish it out while it's still fresh). I really love how it strikes that balance of unique, somewhat intricate worldbuilding, without going into excruciating detail about everything.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Lol did he really write something like that? That like, goes beyond offensive into being funny, and then goes beyond funny into being sad. What a weirdo.

He sure did!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don't think he's a particularly lovely or weird person.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kchama posted:

A lot of Turtledove's issues is that he doesn't know poo poo about history, thinks he knows history, and also writes as if his massive alterations in history he uses to do his alt-history stories would change literally nothing.

Like Spain defeating and conquering Spain and overthrowing the Royal family and burning Prostestants at the stake by the ENGLISH Inquisition?

Clearly, this would have changed very little about William Shakespeare's career.

That's a lot less of a thing in The Guns of the South if only because the time frame only covers maybe a couple-three years. It's a lot more of a problem in the 11 book "Southern Victory" series which kicked off with How Few Remain circa 1881 and covers a second Civil War, an alternate WWI, the roaring 20s and Great Depression and then an alternate WWII with the South run by a not-Hitler.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Everyone posted:

That's a lot less of a thing in The Guns of the South if only because the time frame only covers maybe a couple-three years. It's a lot more of a problem in the 11 book "Southern Victory" series which kicked off with How Few Remain circa 1881 and covers a second Civil War, an alternate WWI, the roaring 20s and Great Depression and then an alternate WWII with the South run by a not-Hitler.

Yeah, but really that series is obviously “WW1 - WW2, except the north is not-France and the south is not-Germany,” and after that everything proceeds the same.

…he did that again with a fantasy WW2 series where you could see the cut and paste from France and Germany and Jews to Xxx and Yyy and Zzz (it’s been too long to remember).

…however his historical fiction (great not Byzantium under whichever stable groom made it to emperor, also some great Greek trader stories) remains worth a read.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ulmont posted:

Yeah, but really that series is obviously “WW1 - WW2, except the north is not-France and the south is not-Germany,” and after that everything proceeds the same.

…he did that again with a fantasy WW2 series where you could see the cut and paste from France and Germany and Jews to Xxx and Yyy and Zzz (it’s been too long to remember).

…however his historical fiction (great not Byzantium under whichever stable groom made it to emperor, also some great Greek trader stories) remains worth a read.

Actually the North has an alliance with Germany during WWI and WWII while Britain and France remain allied with the South. And Winston Churchill is still in charge of Great Britain and is apparently okay with remaining an ally of the South despite it being run by not-Hitler. Which... okay, whatever.

I will say that I really liked one thing called The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The British and French in that series's timeline get Versailled and are pretty fashy.

Turtledove is fine, he's a mediocre writer but anyone who gives me communist black guerilla's in the swamps of the south had at least one neat idea.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just finished reading The Priory of the Orange Tree.

I found it to be a slow start because of all the exposition. Shannon knows enough to avoid maid and butler dialogue, but not enough to change up how she parcels out the exposition. I lost count of how many times her characters would be in the middle of a scene doing something and there would be a "and then he/she remembered that XYZ was [insert critical bit of exposition]" thing happening.

I skimmed some other reviews that complained of twists for the sake of being twists, but I thought they were well foreshadowed. For me, they got to the point of being over-foreshadowed, because certain reveals kept getting hammered repeatedly in recap conversations between different groupings of characters to make sure no one could possibly miss the implications.

Shannon must also have been conscious of page count and the fact that this is supposed to be a standalone. I disagree with some of the structural choices that she made, particularly in trying to have 4 balanced POVs throughout the whole book as not all of the storylines needed equal page time.

Tané's early arc in Part I bugs me, in particular, because the majority of it doesn't matter and because there's never any doubt that she'll achieve her goals for that part of the storyline. The antagonist for that portion of her arc is a caricature that exists only to give the narrative somebody to hate. Same for her friendship with another character who she meets during the early chapters - there's a line where that character says something to the effect of "well of course, because we're friends" and Tané's surprised by it. Quite frankly I was too, because at no point did we see the development of this friendship happen. There's lots of lamenting the loss of another friend that was supposed to be a huge emotional gut punch that is referenced repeatedly through the book that completely did not land for me, because the only way we know about how important this friendship was via... yep, Tané remembering how they have always been the bestest of friends and that they would do anything for each other.

I probably didn't start really getting into the book until the second or third part. By then, the worst of the exposition via remembering stuff was over (mind you, it never stops entirely) and the characters had been given enough time to do stuff and interact. The Ead/Sabran relationship was well done. So was the pregnancy storyline.

A few things stretched my willingness to suspend disbelief but never entirely broke it. Like how Roos decided not to attempt to kill Ead. His mad confession afterwards really seemed like Shannon trying to plug a character inconsistency. He justifies it as being something Laya wouldn't want him to do, and while I buy their friendship, I don't buy that it was enough to overcome his personal hatred of Sabran. I wanted a little more nuance in some of the villains, specifically Mita. Shannon had me thinking that there would be nuance, but no, there came the reveal that she was really just a power hungry bad person who killed Ead's mom. The layers of how history became distorted by time into myth and legend was a good puzzle.

The ending was...fine. All the plot threads came together, there was a big climatic battle as you would expect, good conquers evil using the magical artifacts they've spent the whole book chasing, etc. I never really felt like the end was in question, never wondered how they would triumph. I really expected more of Kalyba who I feel was built up to be this whole big threat and then ended up being dispatched without that much trouble. So, eh?

Overall, a solid read, but didn't live up to how much it was hyped for me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Everyone posted:

Winston Churchill is still in charge of Great Britain and is apparently okay with remaining an ally of the South despite it being run by not-Hitler. Which... okay, whatever.

Can I take it that you're unaware of Winston Churchill's opinions on race? Churchill would have given zero fucks about the CSA exterminating its blacks. His chief reason for not liking Hitler was because he knew that ultimately Hitler would take Germany into war with Britain.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

It's a decent book until the last section imo. I think it was a noble experiment that proved that actually, no, you can't write an epic fantasy with world-ending stakes and wrap it up satisfyingly in one book. So many challenges and complications had to be swept out of the way at the end rather than developed satisfyingly as they should. The bit where they go to not-China was particularly bad--it was like the author just wanted to whisk the characters through this region as quick as possible to make the world feel appropriately epic in scope.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I read the Hitler lizard books. Fun enough, but I've never skimmed over so much text in a book I didn't drop.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Turtledove can actually write pretty good books; but long ago he figured out that he can also crank out huge amounts of extruded alternate-history hackwork and that stuff sells and pays the bills. So he's spent most of his career doing that.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Sailor Viy posted:

It's a decent book until the last section imo. I think it was a noble experiment that proved that actually, no, you can't write an epic fantasy with world-ending stakes and wrap it up satisfyingly in one book.

So according to Shannon's Tumblr, it's about 260k words long. That's almost 40k longer than Mistborn: The Final Empire (212k words), which even though it's a first in series now, was originally written to be a standalone (with series potential).

If Shannon was more experienced, I think she might have been able to pull it off. The structural framework for it is all there, what's lacking is her character work and some really puzzling structural decisions. So many of her scenes, especially in the first 300 pages or so, are really inefficient given how little they advance character. Many of them are just dropped in there to move the plot along and to deliver exposition.

If you're going to do epic fantasy in one volume, you've got to really pick and choose when you summarize vs when you dramatize, and the only thing that Shannon skips over is some of the uneventful traveling.

Actually, in an alt world, I'd like to read Fonda Lee's version of this. Not only do I think she'd nail the Asian inspired cultures better, but I think Lee probably could pull it off, based on her writing in Jade Legacy (~250k words long, according to a tweet from Lee). I know someone else in the thread felt like it read like a short story collection because it was a series of scenes spread out across 40 years, but imo that was the right decision.

You can't be dramatizing every instance when you're trying to tell this kind of story, just the important ones that are turning points for character arcs (not gonna say turning points in the plot, because the characters should drive the plot, another thing that I don't think Shannon did well).

Someone on Amazon compared this to Skyrim, complete with shallow NPCs and all. It's a little harsh but probably fair, since there are a stupid number of times in the book where random wyrm attacks happen, whenever tension dips low enough. I feel like if Shannon upped her character work she wouldn't have had to lean on that technique so much, since the conflict between her characters would have driven the plot, and because random wyrm attacks got boring, fast. And now that I think about it, it was also a huge factor in why the big battle was so meh: it just felt like another random wyrm attack, but I guess the heroes were all assembled at the spawn point, and there were lots of wyrms?

You know what, the more I think about this book, the more problems I have with it. I still think it's a lot better than a great deal of other stuff out there though. But if it's been at the top of your TBR because of the hype, I'd bump it way down, until you have nothing else compelling to read, probably.

Leng fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 5, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nigmaetcetera posted:

He wrote one short story I enjoyed called The Road Not Taken. 100% Hitler-free. It’s about aliens who invade Earth and end up getting more than they bargained for. It was a quick and fun read, and the only thing of his I’ve ever read. Maybe I would have hated the writing more had it been longer, but it wasn’t.

Yeah that's the only thing he wrote I like lol.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I very much agree with that take on Priory. It was incredibly underwhelming for how much positive attention it got on release. The final battle in particular was so boring, and the evil, world-threatening boss dragon whose name I've forgotten had zero presence.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Just went to check out that Priory book and at least when I hit 'Look Inside' the prose was decent. I'm a picky pretentious rear end in a top hat when it comes to writing and half the time I'll click on some book people are raving about and it reads like it was written by a talented eight-year-old.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

HopperUK posted:

Just went to check out that Priory book and at least when I hit 'Look Inside' the prose was decent. I'm a picky pretentious rear end in a top hat when it comes to writing and half the time I'll click on some book people are raving about and it reads like it was written by a talented eight-year-old.

Same

Leng posted:

You know what, the more I think about this book, the more problems I have with it. I still think it's a lot better than a great deal of other stuff out there though. But if it's been at the top of your TBR because of the hype, I'd bump it way down, until you have nothing else compelling to read, probably.

Thanks for this. I’ve had Priory on my tbr pile for a while now, but it was already pretty low on the list because I wasn’t sure about it

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Traitor Baru Cormorant (Maquerade #1) by Seth Dickinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V351EOM/

Peace Talks (Dresden Files #16) by Jim Butcher - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082S1N87S/

Recursion by Blake Crouch - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HDSHP7N/

The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (Wayfarers #4) by Becky Chambers - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088RDCLQ4/

pradmer fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 5, 2022

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

the Malazan series is huge, the non-written by Erikson Malazan stories can be safely skipped no matter what anyone says, each main series Malazan book is more bloated and meandering than the previous one, and I hate Tool and his sister only slightly more than I hate Tehol. The real impressive thing about the Malazan setting is that Erikson wrote (and continues to write apparently) everything on a palmtop computer.

Gave Martha Well's Fall of Ile-Rien series another read. They really are refreshing and are pretty much the much ealier written fantasy fiction versions of her murderbot stories.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Re: Turtledove, I do see his work in a lesser light now that I've familiarized myself with better AH, but I can't deny the nostalgia value of him being the person to introduce me to the genre.

Has anyone read Recursion by Blake Crouch? I enjoyed Dark Matter reasonably, but all the people saying it was "super mind blowing" lowers my expectations for Recursion a lot.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I very much agree with that take on Priory. It was incredibly underwhelming for how much positive attention it got on release. The final battle in particular was so boring, and the evil, world-threatening boss dragon whose name I've forgotten had zero presence.

Well I think you did remember correctly because its name is The Nameless One :v:

HopperUK posted:

Prose gets better (not heaps better, but somewhat better) as you get further in. That, or I got to a point where my eyes were glazing over, because I distinctly remember being a little conscious of the prose (in a slightly awkward way) to begin with, but once things settled down, I didn't notice it much.

Then again I also know that when a story hook or character grabs me, I will ignore absolutely terrible prose. Since this book wasn't doing that, I'm pretty sure I was extra picky about the prose at the start. :shrug:

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Leng posted:

So according to Shannon's Tumblr, it's about 260k words long. That's almost 40k longer than Mistborn: The Final Empire (212k words), which even though it's a first in series now, was originally written to be a standalone (with series potential).

Final Empire doesn't really have the same scope as Priory though. IIRC the bad guy is stated to rule over the entire known world, but almost all the action takes place within a single city. Other cities or continents barely get a mention. The background lore is also relatively simple. That narrow focus gives Sanderson lots of space to go deep into the things he cares about, like the magic system and the fight scenes.

I would never really say "it can never be done" in fiction, but to do one thing well you always have to make cuts somewhere else.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Sailor Viy posted:

Final Empire doesn't really have the same scope as Priory though. IIRC the bad guy is stated to rule over the entire known world, but almost all the action takes place within a single city. Other cities or continents barely get a mention. The background lore is also relatively simple. That narrow focus gives Sanderson lots of space to go deep into the things he cares about, like the magic system and the fight scenes.

I would never really say "it can never be done" in fiction, but to do one thing well you always have to make cuts somewhere else.

100% correct re: Mistborn. A better comparable might be The Redemption of Althalus by Eddings and Eddings which is apparently also about 260k. It is very...Eddings and takes extreme shortcuts with the magic system and POVs and characters (but characters weren't exactly an Eddings strong suit either so) but it was done. I read it shortly after Sparhawk, which was a condensed version of the Belgariad/Mallorean and then I read Althalus and that was the last thing I ever read of Eddings because it was the entire Eddings formula shoved into a single volume.

The thing is, I think Priory tried to go for scope and initially it feels like the kind of expansive scope you'd expect of epic fantasy but it doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. It relies on the reader to mentally fill out Seiiki with Japan, etc. None of the locations, apart from the Priory itself, are particularly distinctive and well established, not even Ascalon, despite all the page time we get there.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

FPyat posted:

Re: Turtledove, I do see his work in a lesser light now that I've familiarized myself with better AH, but I can't deny the nostalgia value of him being the person to introduce me to the genre.

Has anyone read Recursion by Blake Crouch? I enjoyed Dark Matter reasonably, but all the people saying it was "super mind blowing" lowers my expectations for Recursion a lot.

I thought Recursion was at least as good as Dark Matter, though I admit it's been a few since I've read it. Still another solid SF Thriller type book from him though.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Leng posted:

Prose gets better (not heaps better, but somewhat better) as you get further in. That, or I got to a point where my eyes were glazing over, because I distinctly remember being a little conscious of the prose (in a slightly awkward way) to begin with, but once things settled down, I didn't notice it much.

Then again I also know that when a story hook or character grabs me, I will ignore absolutely terrible prose. Since this book wasn't doing that, I'm pretty sure I was extra picky about the prose at the start. :shrug:

Oh no, don’t get me wrong. My “same” also referred to the prose in Priory being decent enough. Being picky about that has definitely stopped me reading other books though

On a different topic, I’ve been reading The Great Derangement by Amitav Ghosh, about how literary authors have completely failed to address climate change as a worthy topic, and here is the real reason that dude who got dragged by her girlfriend is reading Kim Stanley Robinson instead of lit fic

quote:

When the subject of climate change occurs in these publications [literary], it is almost always in relation to nonfiction; novels and short stories are very rarely to be glimpsed within this horizon. Indeed, it could even be said that fiction that deals with climate change is almost by definition not of the kind that is taken seriously by serious literary journals: the mere mention of the subject is often enough to relegate a novel or a short story to the genre of science fiction. It is as though in the literary imagination climate change were somehow akin to extraterrestrials or interplanetary travel.

There is something confounding about this peculiar feedback loop. It is very difficult, surely, to imagine a conception of seriousness that is blind to potentially life-changing threats. And if the urgency of a subject were indeed a criterion of its seriousness, then, considering what climate change actually portends for the future of the earth, it should surely follow that this would be the principal preoccupation of writers the world over—and this, I think, is very far from being the case.

But why? Are the currents of global warming too wild to be navigated in the accustomed barques of narration? But the truth, as is now widely acknowledged, is that we have entered a time when the wild has become the norm: if certain literary forms are unable to negotiate these torrents, then they will have failed—and their failures will have to be counted as an aspect of the broader imaginative and cultural failure that lies at the heart of the climate crisis.

And later in the essay:

quote:

“Commonplace”? “Moderate”? How did Nature ever come to be associated with words like these?
The incredulity that these associations evoke today is a sign of the degree to which the Anthropocene has already disrupted many assumptions that were founded on the relative climatic stability of the Holocene. From the reversed perspective of our time, the complacency and confidence of the emergent bourgeois order appears as yet another of those uncanny instances in which the planet seems to have been toying with humanity, by allowing it to assume that it was free to shape its own destiny.

Distinctive moments are no less important to modern novels than they are to any other forms of narrative, whether geological or historical. Ironically, this is nowhere more apparent than in Rajmohan’s Wife and Madame Bovary, in both of which chance and happenstance are crucial to the narrative. In Flaubert’s novel, for instance, the narrative pivots at a moment when Monsieur Bovary has an accidental encounter with his wife’s soon-to-be lover at the opera, just after an impassioned scene during which she has imagined that the lead singer “was looking at her . . . She longed to run to his arms, to take refuge in his strength, as in the incarnation of love itself, and to say to him, to cry out, ‘Take me away! carry me with you!’”

It could not, of course, be otherwise: if novels were not built upon a scaffolding of exceptional moments, writers would be faced with the Borgesian task of reproducing the world in its entirety. But the modern novel, unlike geology, has never been forced to confront the centrality of the improbable: the concealment of its scaffolding of events continues to be essential to its functioning. It is this that makes a certain kind of narrative a recognizably modern novel.

Here, then, is the irony of the “realist” novel: the very gestures with which it conjures up reality are actually a concealment of the real.

What this means in practice is that the calculus of probability that is deployed within the imaginary world of a novel is not the same as that which obtains outside it; this is why it is commonly said, “If this were in a novel, no one would believe it.” Within the pages of a novel an event that is only slightly improbable in real life—say, an unexpected encounter with a long-lost childhood friend—may seem wildly unlikely: the writer will have to work hard to make it appear persuasive.

If that is true of a small fluke of chance, consider how much harder a writer would have to work to set up a scene that is wildly improbable even in real life? For example, a scene in which a character is walking down a road at the precise moment when it is hit by an unheard-of weather phenomenon?

To introduce such happenings into a novel is in fact to court eviction from the mansion in which serious fiction has long been in residence; it is to risk banishment to the humbler dwellings that surround the manor house—those generic outhouses that were once known by names such as “the Gothic,” “the romance,” or “the melodrama,” and have now come to be called “fantasy,” “horror,” and “science fiction.”

It seems like lit authors have a much easier time imagining plagues, even before covid, than the ocean completely swallowing cities, but I expect that will eventually change.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Slowly, SLOWLY unboxing and putting together bookshelves and getting my library together, here's a progress shot:

I'm hoping to someday have it all alphabetical by author but also: who knows. Genre might take precedent.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

Slowly, SLOWLY unboxing and putting together bookshelves and getting my library together, here's a progress shot:

I'm hoping to someday have it all alphabetical by author but also: who knows. Genre might take precedent.

Oh poo poo, Sumption’s history of the Hundred Years’ War! I hope it’s good.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Stuporstar posted:

It seems like lit authors have a much easier time imagining plagues, even before covid, than the ocean completely swallowing cities, but I expect that will eventually change.

Regency novels are set between 1811 and 1820, Literary novels are set between perhaps 1911 and 2007 at latest. A character in a literary novel cannot do more than speculatively muse about global warming any more than they can use an iPhone. Anything after that is either science fiction (e.g. those works of William Gibson that contained no uninvented technology) or some genre that hasn’t been defined and labeled yet.

The near future has been and gone.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Speaking of climate fiction, I just read Our Shared Storm by Andrew Dana Hudson, and it was really good. The conceit is the same story told five times, the same set of characters meeting at COP60 in Buenos Aires 2054, but each story is set in a different IPCC climate-modeling scenario, and the dramatic conflict and their perspectives shift. I stayed up way past any sensible bedtime finishing it, which is about the strongest endorsement fiction can get.

A lot of climate fiction is resolutely Delugist. Industrial civilization has sinned against Earth, a storm will come which will destroy the last vestiges of a corrupt Earth, and a new beginning will dawn, with a chance at innocence. I'm thinking mostly of Oryx and Crake here, but this pattern shows up a lot (and then there's KSR, who's doing his own thing). The deluge story is tired. It's boring. And it's wrong. Hudson makes a case for the necessity of climate fiction, and delivers a drat good example.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Biffmotron posted:

Speaking of climate fiction, I just read Our Shared Storm by Andrew Dana Hudson, and it was really good. The conceit is the same story told five times, the same set of characters meeting at COP60 in Buenos Aires 2054, but each story is set in a different IPCC climate-modeling scenario, and the dramatic conflict and their perspectives shift. I stayed up way past any sensible bedtime finishing it, which is about the strongest endorsement fiction can get.

A lot of climate fiction is resolutely Delugist. Industrial civilization has sinned against Earth, a storm will come which will destroy the last vestiges of a corrupt Earth, and a new beginning will dawn, with a chance at innocence. I'm thinking mostly of Oryx and Crake here, but this pattern shows up a lot (and then there's KSR, who's doing his own thing). The deluge story is tired. It's boring. And it's wrong. Hudson makes a case for the necessity of climate fiction, and delivers a drat good example.

Oh definitely, and that book sounds interesting. There are way more humanizing stories yet to be written about climate disasters on a non-world-ending level. Like a whole town being wiped out by a flood or forest fire and how people try to keep getting on when it happens every year (hello, British Columbia). Amitav Ghosh spends a lot of time talking about how hosed Mumbai would be if hit by a major cyclone, and there’s a need for fiction that asks, “But what if that ends up the norm and people keep grinding on?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FPyat posted:

Oh poo poo, Sumption’s history of the Hundred Years’ War! I hope it’s good.

It’s outstanding and I gotta find the rest of it. But it’s dense.