Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Clearly, it was just the booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's also good to remember that as weird as Yuri is, having the person you're closest to on earth not tell you about a relationship for a year is an enormous mindfuck

A bit of a meltdown is understandable

I wanna emphasize because like, Yuri's kind of a weirdo but this is a really long time

Like, as ditzy as Yor is, I don't think you'd expect her to keep a secret relationship for more than a month

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I like that Loid saw his wife throw a fork at mach speed into the wall, before literally slapping her grown man brother across the room twice, and then thought "there's absolutely nothing suspicious about her, just her brother."

Also just passing off Anya's mind-reading as "kid's can be really observant". I really like that he can't help but develop a blind spot for both Yor and Anya's secrets because he genuinely cares about them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Also just passing off Anya's mind-reading as "kid's can be really observant". I really like that he can't help but develop a blind spot for both Yor and Anya's secrets because he genuinely cares about them.

I mean, in Anya's case that's just going Sherlock Holmes rather than Father Brown. Mind reading is impossible, kids being weirdly observant is possible (if sometimes unlikely) so Anya is just weirdly observant.

Yor is the impressive blindspot.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I can't tell if interrogating his wife on false charges was a dick move.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Annointed posted:

I can't tell if interrogating his wife on false charges was a dick move.

Tricking your wife into thinking she's being arrested by the Stasi is generally considered a dick move.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, it's pretty obvious that Loid thought it was a dick move so I think that one is pretty clear.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I like that Loid saw his wife throw a fork at mach speed into the wall, before literally slapping her grown man brother across the room twice, and then thought "there's absolutely nothing suspicious about her, just her brother."

"Is this normal in the Briar family?"

TwoPair posted:

Dallas Reid, probably (unfortunately) most well known nowadays for voicing Asta in Black Clover. He does a good job as Yuri though and only screams a little bit :v:

Funnily enough this guy is the only reason a friend can get through Black Clover and actually kinda likes it since Asta has a voice they can tolerate now.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Arzaac posted:

I wanna emphasize because like, Yuri's kind of a weirdo but this is a really long time

Like, as ditzy as Yor is, I don't think you'd expect her to keep a secret relationship for more than a month

look man she forgot to tell him and then also forgot that she forgot to tell him, i don't understand what's weird here.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, in Anya's case that's just going Sherlock Holmes rather than Father Brown. Mind reading is impossible, kids being weirdly observant is possible (if sometimes unlikely) so Anya is just weirdly observant.

Yeah for a series that's generally decently grounded it's definitely a weird blind spot but there's a combination of things that make it handwave-able.

1. Loid is just consistently stressed, even in moments like the family dinner where he seems relaxed he's really not. He's busy overanalyzing and focused on Yuri, and likewised stressed over needing to get even a little intimate with Yor.

2. Yor had said she takes martial arts classes so having some combat ability makes sense; her having enough combat ability to put Twilight on the backfoot should maybe be pushing it a little but Yor was always drunk in those moments so maybe Twilight is passing it off as the martial arts equivalent of beginner's luck; i.e "There's no one more dangerous to a black belt than a white belt".

3. I think there's also a bit of just mentally doubling down. It's one thing to suspect Yor over Yuri but I suppose Twilight's Mentat like logic brain doesn't want to admit that there's something odd about her physical abilities because that would open up new avenues of suspicion, which he doesn't want so it gets shut down. While suspecting the tie between Yor and Yuri is more about Yuri than it is about Yor?

I also think we or rather Twilight haven't really seen Yor act like a super skilled assassin, except for that one moment where she was drunk but tripped over her heel snapping which kinda counteracts the idea of Yor being skilled; instead from Loid's perspective we've mostly seen Yor just being ridiculously strong and fast, that claw swipe/slap at Loid's head was hilarious, and aside from maybe the fork we haven't seen anything indicative that Yor's skillset would be great for assassination. Winning tavern brawls more like it.

I also don't think we've seen or heard anything about Twilight's organization being concerned for an enemy agent named "Thorn Princess" either that I'm remembering, so maybe dealing with Oddjob like enemy Super-Agents just isn't Loid's concern.

These are still largely rationalizations but maybe they make sense; we've never really seen Loid remark on Yor's strength which is what mainly makes it odd when he otherwise is thinking about and remarking on and observing everything else.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Also he tricked her into thinking the Stasi was about to arrest her on false charges and her reaction was "If you're going to cause trouble for my husband or my brother I'll beat the poo poo out of both of you right here and now" and his reaction there was also "Oh thank goodness, nothing suspicious here!!" :v:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Loid has learned to infer peoples actual intentions and core principles and it is completely blindsiding him here. Perfecting spycraft so he can see under the surface has left him almost ignoring the surface of other people, he is so used to it all being a front. Yor is, at heart, a good and air headed person who only cares about looking after Anya and her other loved ones. She doesnt have a malicious bone in her body and he cant reconcile being a genuine softie with being a super threat, if he even registers it.

Every violent and super strong thing she has done in front of him has come from a place of non-malice. Being concerned for him (like kicking the attacked across the alley), protectiveness (drunkenly thinking Anya is really in trouble), slapping Yuri across the room (fueled by shy embarassment). The man is constantly pulling off super feats himself and what he is looking for in other people is intent.

He is, also, a big himbo outside of his spy persona. He wants to kiss his wife and doesnt want to admit it to himself. The less he assesses her, the less he goes near those feelings. I bet he has never had a relationship outside of fake spy ones.

Kiss your dangerous wife, loid.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lethemonster posted:

Loid has learned to infer peoples actual intentions and core principles and it is completely blindsiding him here. Perfecting spycraft so he can see under the surface has left him almost ignoring the surface of other people, he is so used to it all being a front. Yor is, at heart, a good and air headed person who only cares about looking after Anya and her other loved ones. She doesnt have a malicious bone in her body and he cant reconcile being a genuine softie with being a super threat, if he even registers it.

Every violent and super strong thing she has done in front of him has come from a place of non-malice. Being concerned for him (like kicking the attacked across the alley), protectiveness (drunkenly thinking Anya is really in trouble), slapping Yuri across the room (fueled by shy embarassment). The man is constantly pulling off super feats himself and what he is looking for in other people is intent.

He is, also, a big himbo outside of his spy persona. He wants to kiss his wife and doesnt want to admit it to himself. The less he assesses her, the less he goes near those feelings. I bet he has never had a relationship outside of fake spy ones.

:hmmyes:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lethemonster posted:

I like this a lot! Also Loid as a himbo :haw:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Lethemonster posted:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

Thread title?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah for a series that's generally decently grounded
wut

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

A show can be both well grounded in realism/plausibility and also contain fantastical elements. The groundedness is what allows the viewer to more easily relate to the characters and their motivations/actions which contextualize the more fictional genre styling elements.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I also wanna note that with regards to Anya's abilities, Loid has previously filed her under being unusually emotionally intelligent for her age. When talking about her strengths at the interview, he noted her empathy. It all still fits into his current view of her.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

People say this, but I don't really agree. We're working backwards from the solution. Loid has no reason to suspect Yor is an assassin. It's not a video game class, it doesn't give you super human strength when you take it. That Yor is a particularly talented fighter is something to key into, but is somewhat justified by the fact that she was a girl alone raising her brother by doing possibly questionable odd jobs. It makes sense she would learn to defend herself, especially if her strength is to be taken as abnormal in universe.

There's really nothing about her that screams assassin.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Adder Moray posted:

People say this, but I don't really agree. We're working backwards from the solution. Loid has no reason to suspect Yor is an assassin. It's not a video game class, it doesn't give you super human strength when you take it. That Yor is a particularly talented fighter is something to key into, but is somewhat justified by the fact that she was a girl alone raising her brother by doing possibly questionable odd jobs. It makes sense she would learn to defend herself, especially if her strength is to be taken as abnormal in universe.

There's really nothing about her that screams assassin.

Well except for that one time when she snuck up on Loid, but it hasn't really come up since. So far its just Loid who just consistently moves according to his training, like that teacher from Fate/Stay Night with the perfect martial arts breathing.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

I also wanna note that with regards to Anya's abilities, Loid has previously filed her under being unusually emotionally intelligent for her age. When talking about her strengths at the interview, he noted her empathy. It all still fits into his current view of her.

What good father doesn't want to believe that his child is exceptionally intelligent for their age? :)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Loid just keeps giving Anya crossword puzzles and she keeps finishing them everytime so he has no reason to doubt her intelligence.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Electric Phantasm posted:

Loid just keeps giving Anya crossword puzzles and she keeps finishing them everytime so he has no reason to doubt her intelligence.

I like how whenever she tries to cheat in school it never works because no one actually knows the answer. I feel like this says something.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

(It's really more about distance-based level of detail but it's fun to think of it as Loid-vision, too.)

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Its quite easy to tell when its Loid himself reacting and when it's part of his spy act. Now, Loid has accidentally found a woman who is his equal (or better wrt to combat) in competency, determination and capability but who hasnt become jaded and cold like his comrades (and himself, in his outer layers) and peers are in the spy world. He senses it subconsciously but wont deal with it until it's time for their secrets to start coming out.

In the situations he is gawping at her and blushing he has no reason to be putting that on as part of his facade. Those are genuine reactions and being honestly taken aback by his own responses. Acting the suave, but detached, gentleman would be the easier and safe option because they are both in on the fact it isnt a "real" relationship.

He should absolutely find her weird by now, even if assassin isnt what comes to mind. The fact she nearly killed him while drunk and was stopped by her heel snapping should underscore that even drunk and clumsy she surpasses him. Instead he'll rationalise it as a super threat wouldnt trip over and fall asleep mid combo, ergo it's a weird fluke and he will stop bleeding soon anyway, time to slap Frankie.

Edit: he consistently stops thinking the moment he is given a viable way out. She threatens to kick the poo poo out of two secret police officers and he reverts back to "secrelty real, pretending its fake" wife guy because it means he doesnt need to get rid of her. Going "wow that is the most reckless, dangerous response to stasi you could come up with" doesnt even enter his skull. What woman preemptively tries to start an alley fight with secret police? Well, a woman Loid can trust :D

If I wasnt on my phone I would post the shots of him blushing while playing Loidman. That sequence was invented for the anime and I was delighted that they let him be embarrassed about acting out an elaborate kids game in front of his agency. He is the coolest person in the world to everyone there and still gets bashful while taking them all out.

Frankie is definitely more worried about losing his friend to a relationship rather than Loid messing up his mission by catching feelings. He was having too much fun helping Anya - he is already the weird uncle.

Sorry, this show and manga makes me so very happy and delighted to watch but I dont have any friends irl who watch or read it. I have months worth of observations and resultant ramblings getting dusty in my skull.

To the point: Kiss the evil witch, Loidman.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 6, 2022

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Loid being awkward with Yor where he has never had a problem faking relationships with women before always came off to me as a mixture of him actually growing to like her but also as him being uncomfortable with really putting the moves on someone who is at least partially in on the act.

Arguably the other fake relationships were more cruel/exploitative since the women had no idea, but I could get being fairly uncomfortable with having to really put the moves on someone who is knowingly in a "fake" relationship with you and is not another spy who is used to it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Loid has no problems with putting the moves on her. Like, he was 100% down to just go in and kiss her, until she pushed him away, drank a bottle, and then she started to do the absolute loving most like sexual rear end push him down and mount him kiss one can do(until she chickened out anyway lol).

It'd be very hard to not have a reaction to that lol.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

He wuvs her

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

He is right to do so

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Lethemonster posted:

He is, also, a big himbo outside of his spy persona. He wants to kiss his wife and doesnt want to admit it to himself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A dangerous wife is at the top of Mazslow's hierarchy

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
This is a spy rom-com anime.

The leading man being a hyper-competent superspy and a clueless idiot to his fake wife's feelings make complete sense to me.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lethemonster posted:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Wife isn't sure of her own feelings at this point, she's never been in a relationship, much less a marriage until now.

Currently, the show has established that if nothing else Loid and Yor trust each other as partners and have a clear understanding that their marriage, is fake for their own means and justifications. And if nothing else they see each other as essentially good people.

Yor finds that Loid accepts her despite her oddities and naive bluntness, and Loid finds that her sincerity and kindness is beneficial for Anya and for his mission of fake family.

They're all faking it till they make it, but what that's gonna mean further on is constantly being questioned which is what makes this whacky setup fun.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Loid has demonstrated his ability to use and discard women as his mission requires; he's not qualified to be a himbo. He's just a regular idiot twink who needs to kiss his super-deadly wife.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The extremely obvious setup, especially for a shounen series, is for Yor to fall head over heels for the incredibly cool and hot and stoic protagonist. So I'm enjoying that no, Yor's pretty much exactly the same as she was when she was first introduced, and it's Loid who's clearly falling for her.

I really liked Loid ripping his and then Frankie's masks off after the interrogation. For the first time in pretty much the whole show so far it's clear even though all his layers of armor Loid is legit disgusted with himself for having doubted Yor.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lethemonster posted:

Its quite easy to tell when its Loid himself reacting and when it's part of his spy act. Now, Loid has accidentally found a woman who is his equal (or better wrt to combat) in competency, determination and capability but who hasnt become jaded and cold like his comrades (and himself, in his outer layers) and peers are in the spy world. He senses it subconsciously but wont deal with it until it's time for their secrets to start coming out.

In the situations he is gawping at her and blushing he has no reason to be putting that on as part of his facade. Those are genuine reactions and being honestly taken aback by his own responses. Acting the suave, but detached, gentleman would be the easier and safe option because they are both in on the fact it isnt a "real" relationship.

He should absolutely find her weird by now, even if assassin isnt what comes to mind. The fact she nearly killed him while drunk and was stopped by her heel snapping should underscore that even drunk and clumsy she surpasses him. Instead he'll rationalise it as a super threat wouldnt trip over and fall asleep mid combo, ergo it's a weird fluke and he will stop bleeding soon anyway, time to slap Frankie.

Edit: he consistently stops thinking the moment he is given a viable way out. She threatens to kick the poo poo out of two secret police officers and he reverts back to "secrelty real, pretending its fake" wife guy because it means he doesnt need to get rid of her. Going "wow that is the most reckless, dangerous response to stasi you could come up with" doesnt even enter his skull. What woman preemptively tries to start an alley fight with secret police? Well, a woman Loid can trust :D

If I wasnt on my phone I would post the shots of him blushing while playing Loidman. That sequence was invented for the anime and I was delighted that they let him be embarrassed about acting out an elaborate kids game in front of his agency. He is the coolest person in the world to everyone there and still gets bashful while taking them all out.

Frankie is definitely more worried about losing his friend to a relationship rather than Loid messing up his mission by catching feelings. He was having too much fun helping Anya - he is already the weird uncle.

Sorry, this show and manga makes me so very happy and delighted to watch but I dont have any friends irl who watch or read it. I have months worth of observations and resultant ramblings getting dusty in my skull.

To the point: Kiss the evil witch, Loidman.

Loid is probably very used to needing to slap Frankie upside the head, so used that it gets to the point of short circuiting other thoughts

in other words he did not have time to reflect on Yor, because it was Frankie slapping time then.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Frankie really getting into the role while Loid constantly thinks "what, exactly, kind of character is he trying to go for here? He's so inconsistent" got a laugh out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

They really went for it in this episode

Bill Watkins, age 6 is maybe the best joke in the series