Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I read Man of Iron recently and what on Terra did UR-025 mean when he said I have met the Omnissiah, the actual one, not the Earthling corpse? Even knowing about the Emperor and the Void Dragon I couldn't guess as to whom he was alluding to. Is this answered in more recent works?

My guess is some sort of Dark Age of Technology/Golden Age of Humanity super AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I read Man of Iron recently and what on Terra did UR-025 mean when he said I have met the Omnissiah, the actual one, not the Earthling corpse? Even knowing about the Emperor and the Void Dragon I couldn't guess as to whom he was alluding to. Is this answered in more recent works?

It is unclear

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sinner Sandwich posted:

They said on twitter its the FFG RT system.

Ah, missed that and only peeked at the announcement mentioning Koronus Expanse as the region.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The Pathfinder games by the same devs were pretty Rocket Tag to me (After you get out of the starting areas and start getting multiple attacks per turn etc) and they were still good. I haven't played either of the tabletop systems though.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 4, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Just so that I'm clear, rocket tag refers to both the PCs and NPCs being powerful enough to basically instant kill each other, right? Playing tag with rocket launchers?

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just so that I'm clear, rocket tag refers to both the PCs and NPCs being powerful enough to basically instant kill each other, right? Playing tag with rocket launchers?

Correct

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I believe as a gameplay term it dates back to the original Doom and using the Rocket Launcher in MP.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I clicked the wrong button on my kindle and bought one of the newer charcarodons books and drat is it painful to read sometimes. The dialogue between brothers is sometimes laughable and stories with the eldar are usually so cringe

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The Pathfinder games by the same devs were pretty Rocket Tag to me (After you get out of the starting areas and start getting multiple attacks per turn etc) and they were still good. I haven't played either of the tabletop systems though.

https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/night10194/warhammer-40000-roleplay-rogue-trader/
If you have some time over there's a goon writeup of the game here. I think does into detail about just how broken the game can be because it uses the Warhammer Fantasy RPG system and was not made for characters that powerful.

I know the biggest complaint about them is that their encounter balance is whack, but that is also apparently because Paizo is trash at them as the campaigns were taken verbatim from the tabletop versions.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

I know the biggest complaint about them is that their encounter balance is whack, but that is also apparently because Paizo is trash at them as the campaigns were taken verbatim from the tabletop versions.

I liked it, I hope Rogue Trader is the same. You get a lot of evil janky encounters thrown at you in the Pathfinder video games, but your characters have incredible potential too if you build them right, so it does devolve into rocket tag with your only real protections being crowd control and magic buffs etc. On paper that looks bad to me but then I compare it to something like PoE.

I played Pillars of Eternity and even on Path of the Damned difficulty it was trivial, the whole game was this kind of over-designed mashed potato (Sorry if you're reading this Rope Kid). When playing through Kingmaker on normal difficulty it had me dying and reloading fights, and trying to min/max my characters, the rpg combat side was much more memorable.

The key is having the right amount of jankiness. You can't have too little. Probably works better in a singleplayer video game, you're not ending a whole social group game with one bad fireball roll.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 5, 2022

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The new movie reminded me: if GW ever actually explains the 2 lost legions I hope one of their gimmicks is being the Top Gun space marines who specialize in atmospheric air fighting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

0konner posted:

The new movie reminded me: if GW ever actually explains the 2 lost legions I hope one of their gimmicks is being the Top Gun space marines who specialize in atmospheric air fighting.

no. real world, its so that the player can use their imaginations and make up their own secret mary sue loyalist/chaos legion with biggus dickus the primarch or whatever. in lore, probably never outside that they were purged as were their legions and Big E made it a big secret to never talk about it. assumbly they were either super hosed up chaos or worse or something. like it had to be something worse then angeron or kurz.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
One of my favourite bits of 40k is that someone in the early days was bright enough to leave enough gaps for people to fill their own stuff in, so I really, really hope they never do.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I feel like the original purpose of the lost primarchs was good, when the setting was raw and unformed but now they've filled in so many gaps that there's not really any need for them anymore. Like I have yet to see anyone fielding a lost primarch army, and I feel like anyone who does would probably get sneered at these days.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually get found or at least their stories get told.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I actually remember an interview with one of the early GW dudes and he said the original purpose was just to give some mystery and the "for players to create their own" justification came later.

But yeah I like that we don't know although I would like to see more hints and references in the lore so we have stories that may or may not be true kind of like Alpharius origin stories before his primarch book or the emperor's origin where we have actual lore we just don't know if it's correct. As it is we get very slight references with no clue at all what might have went down.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
In my internal canon: One of the lost legions was explicitly too evil for the emperor to tolerate and had to be put down, while the other legion was too good and refused to participate in the Great Crusade so they met a similar fate.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no. real world, its so that the player can use their imaginations and make up their own secret mary sue loyalist/chaos legion with biggus dickus the primarch or whatever. in lore, probably never outside that they were purged as were their legions and Big E made it a big secret to never talk about it. assumbly they were either super hosed up chaos or worse or something. like it had to be something worse then angeron or kurz.

The leading theory atm is that one of the primarchs (and much of their legion) was minded controlled by xenos during the war against the Rangdan and he killed the other primarch, Leman Russ killed him in turn, earning him the title of Executioner. The remains of their legions were folded into the Ultramarines, which is why they're the largest.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That's unfortunate, but wiping all them and their legions names from history seems a bit of an overreaction. Especially for the legion that got back-stabbed.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
The whole Lost Primarch thing comes off as something that made a lot more sense earlier on, when everything was quite loose and vague. Now we've had the whole Heresy series show detailed canon for so much else, keeping quiet about this one thing feels clunky.

That said, I can't really imagine any story or explanation feeling satisfying at this point. Given what the other Primarchs get up to, nothing else is going to seem that much worse, to warrant all the secrecy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

40K fiction needs more ambiguity, not less.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

That's unfortunate, but wiping all them and their legions names from history seems a bit of an overreaction. Especially for the legion that got back-stabbed.

Isn't the current supposition that they were wiped out in name only and most of the actual legionnaires were absorbed into the Ultramarines?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It doesn't really make sense though, because with how geneseeds work there'd be a whole pile of Ultramarines that don't look like Rowboat at all. Of course they've kind of quietly sidelined that bit of fluff over the years too so :shrug:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arquinsiel posted:

It doesn't really make sense though, because with how geneseeds work there'd be a whole pile of Ultramarines that don't look like Rowboat at all. Of course they've kind of quietly sidelined that bit of fluff over the years too so :shrug:

It's always been variable how much marines look like their Primarchs. It's mentioned as notable how strong the resemblance is in the Sons of Horus and Alpha Legion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Back when I started playing it wasn't variable at all, which is why you got people getting huffy about Blood Angels that weren't blonde. It's one of many things that GW probably should have thought harder about in the beginning TBH.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's always been variable how much marines look like their Primarchs. It's mentioned as notable how strong the resemblance is in the Sons of Horus and Alpha Legion.

Sons of Horus has a geneseed flaw - alopecia.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

Sons of Horus has a geneseed flaw - alopecia.

The traitor side had more bald Primarchs. The Emperor knows that hair are your aerials to the universe and bald headed men produce more uptight emotions in the warp, but he hosed up on transferring his luscious hair to them, or maybe Erda hosed it up, or maybe it's one of the things the Chaos Gods interfered with in their birth.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The lost legions do fit into the setting.

Two primarchs did something so bad the Emps had to sanction them shows that the primarchs had agency and were just not flesh and warp automatons. It also shows that yet again while the Emps had humanities best interests at heart he was quite OK with breaking a few eggs to make his omelette. It lays the story groundwork for the Heresy and stops it from coming out of the blue.

Where the crimes that got them persona non grata'd milder than the Heresy? Did one just refuse to follow the fascist plan? Did one get mind controlled? Did one fall to Chaos early as a warm up?

To me it works better as an unknown Sword of Damocles as it helps make the characterisation better.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Yup

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

'I don't want to bring the galaxy to compliance. You're not my real space dad' 😠

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

'I don't want to bring the galaxy to compliance. You're not my real space dad' 😠

Big mood

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nah, there's already tons.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The traitor side had more bald Primarchs. The Emperor knows that hair are your aerials to the universe and bald headed men produce more uptight emotions in the warp, but he hosed up on transferring his luscious hair to them, or maybe Erda hosed it up, or maybe it's one of the things the Chaos Gods interfered with in their birth.

Erda wanted to give them all perfect hair but Emps went :goonsay: about how you should spend more time doing fascism rather than preening about in front of a mirror and wow would you look at that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it is kinda weird that nearly all the chaos painters are more experienced (cuz actual noobs just get tac marines yadda yadda), and the omnipresent baldness is to make it easier to paint, so all the experienced painters are getting the easier to paint ones and the less experienced painters are getting the harder to paint ones

should be imperials are baldies and chaos should be the ones w hair, realistically

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I like the new Votann lore.
Iron bros!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The weapon info dump on them also basically confirms they taught the tau about Ion Tech.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre prolly gonna go and try to figure out gotrek in space, won't they?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's a big split in the Admech about how much xeno tech should be avoided. Cawl's faction, for example, believe that almost any technology should be dissected and adopted since the Omnissiah is the source of all reasoned thought anyway. They'd only balk at something like Slaugth stuff.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 6, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

In a suprise twist they bring Felix to 40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Buddy if it's like gotrek in AoS it'll be great just a drunken insane killing machine making GBS threads on everything he sees