Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Slowly, SLOWLY unboxing and putting together bookshelves and getting my library together, here's a progress shot:

I'm hoping to someday have it all alphabetical by author but also: who knows. Genre might take precedent.

I don't know why, but I don't like the way it looks when the books are flush with the shelf. I keep a VHS cassette case (some movie with Mastroianni I think) in the study for the express purpose of pushing all the books back an even distance from the edge.

Thanks for reading you may now add "COMPLETE loving PSYCHO??" next to my name in posters.xlsx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

radmonger posted:

Regency novels are set between 1811 and 1820, Literary novels are set between perhaps 1911 and 2007 at latest. A character in a literary novel cannot do more than speculatively muse about global warming any more than they can use an iPhone. Anything after that is either science fiction (e.g. those works of William Gibson that contained no uninvented technology) or some genre that hasn’t been defined and labeled yet.

The near future has been and gone.

What does this post mean? Is this a thread joke I’ve missed?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #1) by Dan Simmons - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G60EHS/

Eon by Greg Bear - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J3EU5RC/

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance #1) by NK Jemisin - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZDJZO2/

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008TUQ60G/

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

pradmer posted:

Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #1) by Dan Simmons - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G60EHS/

Some book fairy must be listening because this has been on my TBR for a while.

Biffmotron posted:

Speaking of climate fiction, I just read Our Shared Storm by Andrew Dana Hudson, and it was really good. The conceit is the same story told five times, the same set of characters meeting at COP60 in Buenos Aires 2054, but each story is set in a different IPCC climate-modeling scenario, and the dramatic conflict and their perspectives shift. I stayed up way past any sensible bedtime finishing it, which is about the strongest endorsement fiction can get.

This sounds fascinating and is getting added to my list next.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stuporstar posted:

Oh definitely, and that book sounds interesting. There are way more humanizing stories yet to be written about climate disasters on a non-world-ending level. Like a whole town being wiped out by a flood or forest fire and how people try to keep getting on when it happens every year (hello, British Columbia). Amitav Ghosh spends a lot of time talking about how hosed Mumbai would be if hit by a major cyclone, and there’s a need for fiction that asks, “But what if that ends up the norm and people keep grinding on?”

people already live like this in the Caribbean and other places that have been feeling the brunt of the increasingly energetic storm systems

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The Windup Girl and The Water Knife by Paulo Bacigalupi are the books I think when this topic comes up. The latter is probably more well-known but the former is truly excellent. Weird economies of physically stored energy in springs, ancient orders of monks dedicated to preserving seed banks, hundreds-foot seawalls keeping coastal regions in bizarre pocket-cities.

It's sad and definitely contains sexual violence, like The Water Knife, but I'd highly recommend it for an alt take on the climatepunk genre.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Larry Parrish posted:

people already live like this in the Caribbean and other places that have been feeling the brunt of the increasingly energetic storm systems

Well yeah, and that whole essay is taking lit fic to task for ignoring that.

I think I’ve read more fantasy and horror fiction drawn from Hurricane Katrina, because the folktale nature of those genres is just a more apt way to express how it feels to have nature turn your life upside down.

Here’s another good quote from it:

quote:

“Climate change is inherently uncanny: Weather conditions, and the high-carbon lifestyles that are changing them, are extremely familiar and yet have now been given a new menace and uncertainty.”

No other word comes close to expressing the strangeness of what is unfolding around us. For these changes are not merely strange in the sense of being unknown or alien; their uncanniness lies precisely in the fact that in these encounters we recognize something we had turned away from: that is to say, the presence and proximity of nonhuman interlocutors.

Yet now our gaze seems to be turning again; the uncanny and improbable events that are beating at our doors seem to have stirred a sense of recognition, an awareness that humans were never alone, that we have always been surrounded by beings of all sorts who share elements of that which we had thought to be most distinctively our own: the capacities of will, thought, and consciousness. How else do we account for the interest in the nonhuman that has been burgeoning in the humanities over the last decade and over a range of disciplines; how else do we account for the renewed attention to panpsychism and the metaphysics of Alfred North Whitehead; and for the rise to prominence of object-oriented ontology, actor-network theory, the new animism, and so on?

Can the timing of this renewed recognition be mere coincidence, or is the synchronicity an indication that there are entities in the world, like forests, that are fully capable of inserting themselves into our processes of thought? And if that were so, could it not also be said that the earth has itself intervened to revise those habits of thought that are based on the Cartesian dualism that arrogates all intelligence and agency to the human while denying them to every other kind of being?

This possibility is not, by any means, the most important of the many ways in which climate change challenges and refutes Enlightenment ideas. It is, however, certainly the most uncanny. For what it suggests—indeed proves—is that nonhuman forces have the ability to intervene directly in human thought. And to be alerted to such interventions is also to become uncannily aware that conversations among ourselves have always had other participants: it is like finding out that one’s telephone has been tapped for years, or that the neighbors have long been eavesdropping on family discussions.

But in a way it’s worse still, for it would seem that those unseen presences actually played a part in shaping our discussions without our being aware of it. And if these are real possibilities, can we help but suspect that all the time that we imagined ourselves to be thinking about apparently inanimate objects, we were ourselves being “thought” by other entities? It is almost as if the mind-altering planet that Stanislaw Lem imagined in Solaris were our own, familiar Earth: what could be more uncanny than this?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Still not really sorting as I need to get authors together (I own more than 2 Glen Cooks for example) but more shelving in progress:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't know why, but I don't like the way it looks when the books are flush with the shelf. I keep a VHS cassette case (some movie with Mastroianni I think) in the study for the express purpose of pushing all the books back an even distance from the edge.

Thanks for reading you may now add "COMPLETE loving PSYCHO??" next to my name in posters.xlsx.

I don't understand this but I'm happy you're happy with your shelves.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

a foolish pianist posted:

What does this post mean? Is this a thread joke I’ve missed?

I've seen several variants of people noting that a creator stopped making fiction set in the present the year the iPhone came out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Still not really sorting as I need to get authors together (I own more than 2 Glen Cooks for example) but more shelving in progress:

I don't understand this but I'm happy you're happy with your shelves.

E: oh gently caress shoulda chosen a less shameful shelf. Oh well :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 7, 2022

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Leng posted:

Some book fairy must be listening because this has been on my TBR for a while.

You probably already bought it, and I don't begrudge you at all, because I bought it myself the last time it was 3 dollars, but I should inform you that Dan Simmons is worse than Orson Scott Card in terms of his politics being at odds with the humanity of his writing.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

FPyat posted:

You probably already bought it, and I don't begrudge you at all, because I bought it myself the last time it was 3 dollars, but I should inform you that Dan Simmons is worse than Orson Scott Card in terms of his politics being at odds with the humanity of his writing.

I don't know, seemed like he only had 1 or 2 chapters per book with Muslim bloodbaths. Of course, that was before 9/11.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

FPyat posted:

He wrote some pretty excellent books but yeah unfortunately he suffered some kind of existential soul collapse after 9/11 after which he progressively got crazier and shittier. Hyperion is one of my favorite books of all time but the mind that wrote it is long, long gone.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Good stuff.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

FPyat posted:

I've seen several variants of people noting that a creator stopped making fiction set in the present the year the iPhone came out.

I’m fascinated by the way ‘the phone dump’ is required in movies/tv/books and how it’s executed.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Sinatrapod posted:

He wrote some pretty excellent books but yeah unfortunately he suffered some kind of existential soul collapse after 9/11 after which he progressively got crazier and shittier. Hyperion is one of my favorite books of all time but the mind that wrote it is long, long gone.

I've always wondered how a guy who wrote Flashback (a book in which Obama destroys America) or those weird blog posts (in which he time traveled back to visit himself and warn against the future caliphate) copes with the passage of time. Like, Obama came, Obama went, America's still here. The global caliphate hasn't materialized. How do you rationalize this stuff?

I guess Flashback is set in 2034 so we have another 12 years to discover that climate change is fake, sell the government to the Japanese, yield the southwest to Mexican supergangs and establish global caliphate. Keep it up Dan

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

General Battuta posted:

I've always wondered how a guy who wrote Flashback (a book in which Obama destroys America) or those weird blog posts (in which he time traveled back to visit himself and warn against the future caliphate) copes with the passage of time. Like, Obama came, Obama went, America's still here. The global caliphate hasn't materialized. How do you rationalize this stuff?

I guess Flashback is set in 2034 so we have another 12 years to discover that climate change is fake, sell the government to the Japanese, yield the southwest to Mexican supergangs and establish global caliphate. Keep it up Dan

"My daring and evocative speculative fiction was monumental enough to change the course of history" :smug:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

General Battuta posted:

The last three there are anxieties of the what, 80s, 90s, and '00s in that order? He's got to get with the times and write a sequel with I don't know, China and Q or something.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

General Battuta posted:

Any Day Now is a pretty powerful belief, no matter what it's attached to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

The Windup Girl and The Water Knife by Paulo Bacigalupi are the books I think when this topic comes up. The latter is probably more well-known but the former is truly excellent. Weird economies of physically stored energy in springs, ancient orders of monks dedicated to preserving seed banks, hundreds-foot seawalls keeping coastal regions in bizarre pocket-cities.

It's sad and definitely contains sexual violence, like The Water Knife, but I'd highly recommend it for an alt take on the climatepunk genre.

Both are great and so are the three Shipbreaker books. They're marketed as YA but I cannot understand why. Sometimes you pick up a YA book, say Steelheart, and within 20 pages you're like "oh this is written for children" and sometimes you pick up a YA book, say The Knife of Never Letting Go, and the themes and language and "sensitive material" are indistinguishable from anything you'd read in a novel "for adults". I have no idea what qualifies a book as YA but I imagine it has to do with marketers cramming a whole bunch of unlike novels into a very hot genre.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

General Battuta posted:

People heeded his warning and didn't let Obama destroy America, the book saved the day you see.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Opopanax posted:

People heeded his warning and didn't let Obama destroy America, the book saved the day you see.

Yep, by getting Americans to elect Donald Trump, his boo-

Sorry, can't type any more as I'm too busy throwing up in my mouth.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

General Battuta posted:

I think it's always pretty easy to just say "well I got some of the details wrong but the spirit of the thing was correct."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Finished my Blindsight reread. Just a marvelous novel that is so densely packed with ideas about intelligence, consciousness, the nature of self, transhumanism, artificial intelligence, etc. A masterpiece.

Now I'm reading a book about uplifted spiders? It kicks rear end.

Speak of uplift, which Brin book do you prefer Startide Rising or Uplift War

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 7, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Both are great and so are the three Shipbreaker books. They're marketed as YA but I cannot understand why. Sometimes you pick up a YA book, say Steelheart, and within 20 pages you're like "oh this is written for children" and sometimes you pick up a YA book, say The Knife of Never Letting Go, and the themes and language and "sensitive material" are indistinguishable from anything you'd read in a novel "for adults". I have no idea what qualifies a book as YA but I imagine it has to do with marketers cramming a whole bunch of unlike novels into a very hot genre.

It is almost completely marketing.

Though sometimes it is just "this was written for children but also has horrifying sensitive material," like the Animorphs is explicitly marketed to children (Published by Scholastic, who only deals with children's books), but the very first book alone involves a group of children watch a noble hero be literally eaten alive in front of them, and their brave attempt to save prisoners end up with almost all of them dying, most of them burned to death by a flamethrower monster in front of their eyes.

I cherished those books.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The Knife of Never Letting Go made me weep during my lunch break at the bookstore I used to work at. I couldn't deal with that series as it went on, too harrowing.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
todd?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

:mad:

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I just finished the Revelation Space series and I'm triply impressed by Reynolds' world building. But the ending left me a bit hanging.

Is there a book of him that maybe provides some closure?

Wiki tells me Inhibitor Phase is the natural sequel, but the cover reads more like a standalone novel like Chasm City.

A short scour of the net recommends Galactic North but I'm a bit afraid of spoilering myself by checking the synopsys. Is this the go to book to get some sense of connecting loose ties and some semblence of an ending?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

General Battuta posted:

Obama 2: Mega-Allah

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Hyperion" made it pretty obvious Simmons was a weird creep. It's just that with fantasy authors the charts are way different to normal people.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Uprooted by Naomi Novik - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KUQIU7O/

Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations #1) by Michael J Sullivan - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XWBUKK/

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Kchama posted:

A lot of Turtledove's issues is that he doesn't know poo poo about history, thinks he knows history, and also writes as if his massive alterations in history he uses to do his alt-history stories would change literally nothing.

Like Spain defeating and conquering England and overthrowing the Royal family and burning Prostestants at the stake by the ENGLISH Inquisition?

Clearly, this would have changed very little about William Shakespeare's career.

EDIT: I wrote Spain twice.

Saying that he doesn't know poo poo about history is going too far - he is a professional historian with a doctorate in Byzantine history.

A lot of what he gets completely wrong is from bad sources, while most of the rest is screwups that you have to be a specialist (or specifically fact-checking him) to really notice. The Shakespeare book in particular has a lot of errors of that sort - he conflates the Church of England with the later Puritan movement, has Shakespeare performing plays that were not written yet at the time, and show him writing plays that a Spanish occupier would probably have prohibited. But it is hardly fair to expect somebody to know the fine details of a schism in an entirely different religion from theirs, the timeline of when the great plays of Shakespeare were written is incredibly fuzzy, and the subtext that would offend the Spanish in that setting is something you have to analyze the works in great detail to notice.

Most of his divergences from history, however, are more basic - he ignores things that don't make the story work.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Kchama posted:

It is almost completely marketing.

And the age of the protagonist. I don't think I've seen a YA without a teen or pre-teen protagonist. That said, Shipbreaker really tackles some tough issues and I'd be hesitant to recommend it to a kid the age of the protagonist. I seem to remember there was a moderate amount of drug addiction, child abuse, child soldiers committing atrocities, etc.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

The majority of YA readers are in their 20s and 30s, so the name of the genre really refers to the protagonist's age and related themes (coming of age, first romance, etc)

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

FPyat posted:

:( I honestly haven't made up my mind on where I stand with these kinds of things. But no, I have been procrastinating and not yet bought said book and so...

...I might get this instead. I really enjoyed Spinning Silver.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

zoux posted:

Finished my Blindsight reread. Just a marvelous novel that is so densely packed with ideas about intelligence, consciousness, the nature of self, transhumanism, artificial intelligence, etc. A masterpiece.

Now I'm reading a book about uplifted spiders? It kicks rear end.

Speak of uplift, which Brin book do you prefer Startide Rising or Uplift War

It's not even a contest, Startide is leagues better because dolphins > chimps

Mikojan posted:

A short scour of the net recommends Galactic North but I'm a bit afraid of spoilering myself by checking the synopsys. Is this the go to book to get some sense of connecting loose ties and some semblence of an ending?

Galactic North doesn't really spoil anything, since there's nothing to spoil between the epilogue of Absolution Gap and the ending of Galactic North. It will give you closure in the sense of, here's how it all turns out. It probably won't give you emotional closure.

Inhibitor Phase fits between the last chapter of Absolution Gap and the epilogue of Absolution Gap. It's more of a sequel to Redemption Ark than it is to Absolution Gap, since it picks up a bunch of threads from Ark - Clavain, the people left behind on Ararat, how to actually fight the Inhibitors. It's better if you've read Galactic North first because it digs into some Nestbuilder stuff.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Saying that he doesn't know poo poo about history is going too far - he is a professional historian with a doctorate in Byzantine history.

A lot of what he gets completely wrong is from bad sources, while most of the rest is screwups that you have to be a specialist (or specifically fact-checking him) to really notice. The Shakespeare book in particular has a lot of errors of that sort - he conflates the Church of England with the later Puritan movement, has Shakespeare performing plays that were not written yet at the time, and show him writing plays that a Spanish occupier would probably have prohibited. But it is hardly fair to expect somebody to know the fine details of a schism in an entirely different religion from theirs, the timeline of when the great plays of Shakespeare were written is incredibly fuzzy, and the subtext that would offend the Spanish in that setting is something you have to analyze the works in great detail to notice.

Most of his divergences from history, however, are more basic - he ignores things that don't make the story work.

Knowing about Byzantine history doesn't mean you know poo poo about, say, English history, or the Civil War. And that is where you get a lot of "don't know poo poo"ness, since you can easily fool yourself into thinking your knowledge in one specific subject is broadly applicable.

I do dispute that you'd have to be a specialist or specifically fact-checking him to notice as even with my basic high-school rear end knowledge of stuff I noticed a lot of the mistakes related to Shakespeare. It wasn't even really the timeline of when they were written, but the fact that they were suppose to have been written with the Spanish as the audience, seemingly unchanged.

And yaknow, if I was writing a story where the plot hinged on historical knowledge of a specific thing, I'd prolly do a lil research on that topic. I might not be able to research everything and make no mistakes, but one should be able to tell that the Puritans had lost power and prestige considering it is a common idea that the Puritans came to America seeking 'religious freedom'. You don't leave to another country for 'freedom' if you are the dominant faction.

Xenix posted:

And the age of the protagonist. I don't think I've seen a YA without a teen or pre-teen protagonist. That said, Shipbreaker really tackles some tough issues and I'd be hesitant to recommend it to a kid the age of the protagonist. I seem to remember there was a moderate amount of drug addiction, child abuse, child soldiers committing atrocities, etc.

Yeah that's part of the marketing these days. Pre-teen seem pretty common to me, though. And yeah, Animorphs was totally into that stuff, too. It's a series about constant fear and paranoia and they commit more than a few atrocities and become war criminals as child soldiers, and I ate it up as a kid.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 8, 2022

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I liked Activation Degredation by Marina J. Lostetter, pretty sure I got it from a thread rec here when it was on sale

It was sort of a hornier Murderbot with a meat robot character literally just born and sent to fight aliens by a handler who they soon discover is not telling the robot a lot. It's more learning and communicating than murder but there are action sequences. A lot of the communication stuff is backed into the narrative because of the initial terms the robot uses and then later changes as it learns. Trying to be vague on purpose though you can probably already figure out one of the initial twists just by how vague I am being lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

The Knife of Never Letting Go is YA because the perspective character is a teenager. Or about to be, at the start. Animorphs is middle grade because it's written simply and has a lot of TSSSSEEEEWWWW TSSSSEEEEEEEEWWWW sound effects. If there's a bit where a character excitedly recounts the time she got dismembered in battle and started using her severed arm as a club to her horrified... science fiction different personality clone, it's still middle grade. That's fine. Also I think Scholastic had stopped actually reading the books before they published them at that point.

I've also heard that YA books don't have more than one plotline going on at once, but I'm not sure about that one.