Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I find driving a nail with a nice hammer to be incredibly therapeutic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah driving a nail in in one or two strokes is one of life's simple pleasures

(I've only done it in one like twice but I felt like a loving master carpenter)

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

The moral of the story, if you're like me and you thought you just sucked at pounding in nails, maybe you've got the wrong hammer. Too bad they don't have a nail-pounding station for hammers the way they have a screw driving station like they do for cordless drills.

i've never seen either of this lol

one other easy suggestion is to wrap the handle w hockey tape so that you dont have to grip as hard, keeping your hand loose so you can get some good snap.

the other suggestion i'd have would be to try a different handle style, if you have straight and it feels weird try curved and vice versa. little more involved though

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Plus, look at the heads of those two hammers. I've always felt that the smooth head hammers have a convex shape and if you don't hit perfectly centered on the nail, you might slip off. The flat, knurled head seems to not slip off nails and I always feel like I get a better impact with those kinds of hammers but they'll leave a pattern imprint. Fine for framing or rough stuff but not finished projects.

After a year in this house, I think I'm about to start looking at building a workbench system for my garage. I found a plan for 24x48 modular benches on castors that you can link together in different ways as needed. I like this style of bench a lot. I dont really do a lot of wordworking, more dirtbike/auto/house stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MovF5vjmOQg

It has lots of work space, storage underneath, and could be fully enclosed to keep the insides clean. The coolest part is being able to move them around as needed, reconfigure the table shape as needed etc. I can then push them against the walls to keep them out of the way when not in use. My garage is a single stall but its longer and slightly wider than a traditional single stall so I have room around the walls for a bench. When we do park a car inside, or work on the car in the garage, it would be nice to have the ability to easily move the bench out of the way.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Verman posted:

Plus, look at the heads of those two hammers. I've always felt that the smooth head hammers have a convex shape and if you don't hit perfectly centered on the nail, you might slip off. The flat, knurled head seems to not slip off nails and I always feel like I get a better impact with those kinds of hammers but they'll leave a pattern imprint. Fine for framing or rough stuff but not finished projects.

After a year in this house, I think I'm about to start looking at building a workbench system for my garage. I found a plan for 24x48 modular benches on castors that you can link together in different ways as needed. I like this style of bench a lot. I dont really do a lot of wordworking, more dirtbike/auto/house stuff.

It has lots of work space, storage underneath, and could be fully enclosed to keep the insides clean. The coolest part is being able to move them around as needed, reconfigure the table shape as needed etc. I can then push them against the walls to keep them out of the way when not in use. My garage is a single stall but its longer and slightly wider than a traditional single stall so I have room around the walls for a bench. When we do park a car inside, or work on the car in the garage, it would be nice to have the ability to easily move the bench out of the way.

If you really aren't doing much woodworking this looks like an awesome little solution. I do something kind of similar with my old shop-tool stands that no longer have a tool. Flop some sanded ply on top and just have some simple worksurfaces that are easily moved to and fro in the shop. Even with my big rear end 7' x 4' bench I always end up needing extra space to fiddle with small bits when working on a big project.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ok Comboomer posted:

$130 just to flex, you say?

Hipster homeowner starter kit.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Verman posted:

Plus, look at the heads of those two hammers.
Since this is the wrong thread to only own one hammer in...

A nice 16 oz Estwing as pictured is a great general purpose hammer. Heavy enough to drive heavy stuff if you need to, but still compact and light enough for most little jobs. Plus the smooth head won't gently caress up your project too much if you miss.

The framing hammer thats pictured is what you need to drive a nail in a stroke or two. Heavier head, longer handle for more leverage, diamond pattern on the head to grip the nail even if you aren't perfectly centered. As a bonus most good ones have a little magnet and split setup on the top/bottom of the head so you can slot a nail in there and set it with the first blow without having to hold it. Downside is it absolutely savages any wood it comes in contact with on the final blow, so you can't use it on anything that has to look good.

Highly recommend owning both.

And a 4 ounce tack hammer for picture hanging and small jobs.

And a rubber or leather mallet for whacking things that aren't nails.

And a ball peen hammer for bashing metal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No masonry hammer??

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

One of the few good things my PO left me was a framing hammer with a magnetic slot, and yeah it's badass :getin:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

And a big and small sledgehammer for various levels of demolition.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Verman posted:

This seems way better than my current work surface solution of "sort of 4x4 piece of plywood left by the PO, slapped on top of a couple of plastic sawhorses the PO left"

E: oh my word if you build something like this to the right height, it can also be an outfeed table for a table saw...

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 7, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

TIL Hitachi has a jobsite TV skin. :wtc:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just discovered (well, confirmed) that my Ryobi brad nailer (and my lawn mower, and a cheap $20 angle grinder) got stolen out of my garage last week while it was open while I was building a fence. A brad nailer is too expensive for the Ryobi days sale, and none of the combos for brad nailers on homedepot.com look to be any good. Should I pull the trigger on a factory reconditioned one from direct tools for $80, or is there some better hope of me finding a better deal on it?

The brad nailer bums me out the most to get stolen, because it was just a nice little bonus in the combo back I got initially, and I didn't really need it but now I'm bummed that it's gone. And talking myself into actually buying it when I think about, for example, how often things get brad nailed and glued in woodworking.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

Just discovered (well, confirmed) that my Ryobi brad nailer (and my lawn mower, and a cheap $20 angle grinder) got stolen out of my garage last week while it was open while I was building a fence. A brad nailer is too expensive for the Ryobi days sale, and none of the combos for brad nailers on homedepot.com look to be any good. Should I pull the trigger on a factory reconditioned one from direct tools for $80, or is there some better hope of me finding a better deal on it?

The brad nailer bums me out the most to get stolen, because it was just a nice little bonus in the combo back I got initially, and I didn't really need it but now I'm bummed that it's gone. And talking myself into actually buying it when I think about, for example, how often things get brad nailed and glued in woodworking.

That really sucks .. Brad nailer is an odd choice to steal, but I guess they weren’t too picky. One time I left some gardening stuff out and the only thing they stole was a garden knife, so I like to imagine some robber running around, sticking people up w a bright orange Fiskars knife :D

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Verman posted:

That's a cool design. I kind of want to pair it up with this: https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/comments/uvkbxj/loving_my_flip_top_workbench/

Though you'd probably have to add weight to the bottom shelf to prevent them from tipping over or something

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
After doing some googling last night, I also found this plan which is similar, but he uses some piano hinges on the tops and some gas struts to make them easier to open, creating some storage space. Those flip tops are nice too, all sorts of great options. A number of options I found use magnets instead of bolts, but those magnets don't seem to work very well, and ultimately the the bolts through holes seems much more stable, since stability is probably preferable to flexibility on a whim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcrTKmO6ttA

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FISHMANPET posted:

Father's day is coming up so there might be all kinds of sales, it's hard to be sure. I got a factory blemished 3/8" ryobi ratchet from them that had the extra sale going on from a few weeks ago (I forget the details of the sale but the tool was a little over 50 bucks) recently and while it took them a couple of weeks to ship it, it showed up and looks brand new as far as I can tell. It was also in a factory box.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 7, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Y'all can just shut up about hammers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

stealie72 posted:

And a rubber or leather mallet for whacking things that aren't nails.
We own two rubber mallets, which are 99% of the time used in the kitchen. One day when we were having wall-to-wall installed, our young son inquired, "Daddy, why are they using the meat hammer on the carpet?"

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

FISHMANPET posted:

After doing some googling last night, I also found this plan which is similar, but he uses some piano hinges on the tops and some gas struts to make them easier to open, creating some storage space. Those flip tops are nice too, all sorts of great options. A number of options I found use magnets instead of bolts, but those magnets don't seem to work very well, and ultimately the the bolts through holes seems much more stable, since stability is probably preferable to flexibility on a whim.

If I were to build the modular system I'd probably go with C clamps or something rather than bolts to hold it together. Seems like it would be a lot easier for reconfiguring that way. Though more expensive and I suppose wasteful of clamps

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

Y'all can just shut up about hammers.

Someone needs to photoshop your avatar to have that instead of death's normal walking stick

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Squibbles posted:

If I were to build the modular system I'd probably go with C clamps or something rather than bolts to hold it together. Seems like it would be a lot easier for reconfiguring that way. Though more expensive and I suppose wasteful of clamps

A few toggle clamps should work. Just don't use magnets like that guy in the video.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone used the Kobalt XTR circular saw? I need to get one so I can stop borrowing my friend's Ryobi, and I've already got the batteries from my right angle impact. If it's crap I might hold off until I end up getting a DeWalt 20v mid-torque impact with the batteries to match.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

A few toggle clamps should work. Just don't use magnets like that guy in the video.

Specifically locking toggle clamps, not a horizontal or vertical, for anyone else wondering how that would work. Or at least that's what I can figure out. I can't picture how a vertical or horizontal toggle clamp would hold two pieces together simply.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

Specifically locking toggle clamps, not a horizontal or vertical, for anyone else wondering how that would work. Or at least that's what I can figure out. I can't picture how a vertical or horizontal toggle clamp would hold two pieces together simply.

I should have been more specific. I'm talking about this style of clamp:

https://www.mcmaster.com/toggle-clamps/latch-style-toggle-clamps-7/

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Johnny Truant posted:

Someone needs to photoshop your avatar to have that instead of death's normal walking stick

That might be as much work as it took me to craft it. Eh, maybe not. A pitbull attack prompted the deathammer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

A pitbull attack prompted the deathammer.

:wth:

Sorry to hear that!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Johnny Truant posted:

:wth:

Sorry to hear that!

Nah, it was about as good an outcome as could be expected. My dog is 12, the most loving 30 lb. creature imaginable and had never been in a fight. No blood, just limped for a day. Got home & received many pets and treats. They don't leave the pit out in the yard any more.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I got this for $25 at a garage sale because why not and then bought a new bar and blade after verifying that it fires right up. This was a cheap saw to begin with and it does not replace my desire to eventually own a Husq 562xp or similar, but this morning there happened to be a fallen pine obstructing my road and I made pretty short work of it.

Never don't buy $25 chainsaws, IMO, given that they pull and appear to be in reasonable condition. There was a 57cc one next to this one which looked like it was in rougher shape but now I wish I'd bought both.

edit: I was out cutting the tree up with blinkers on my car, wearing orange PPE etc. Anyone driving by probably thought I was the highway dept but I definitely did not get $100/hr to do this. I did get ~a face cord of sugaring wood out of it, though, if I chop it up.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have these gutter drains and during rainstorms they clog up and overflow. I'm not 100% sure where they go, I'm on a hill so maybe they take it out under the hardscaping, or a drywell? If the latter I would obviously not want to rip up the drywell of course, but right now with them being full it does tend to dump a lot of water near the foundation during rainstorms and I'm not sure that's the best.

Any recommendations for a drain snake? I just need one in general. Should I get a "power snake" with its own motor, or one that uses my power tools/batteries (ryobi 18v), or one that fits in the bit of a drill, or just a basic hand cranked one? How big and how long should I look for, and any other accessories I will want?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
You can always rent one so you're sure of the size you need before buying something.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
id start small and work your way up, pvc pipe is fairly robust but the abs outflow spout is fragile. never used a handcranked one but i feel like the physical feedback could help you from damaging the pipes inadevrtently

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

I swear I'd stopped looking, and had already written down a cut list for what I was going to do, then I somehow stumbled on this video, and I ended up going with this plan instead. I shortened it by about 4 inches, to get the overall height to around 36 inches, which means I can use them as outfeed tables for my table saw. I also think he went a little overboard with the aesthetics, planing his 2x4s and using hidden pocket screws everywhere. But at the very least, the plans are free (though you don't really need "plans" for any of these, as long as the video gives the cut lengths), and he linked to some good wheels, and his plan was built for latch clamps from the start. I didn't go with the ones he bought, since in the video he said they ended up being way more powerful than he thought they'd be, but his link did lead me to a 16 pack for $22. I'm thinking that with so many, I might try and install them in such a way that you still get all the flexibility of holes with bolts, rather than just being limited to 1 or 2 positions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SQlaoUbQDo

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Any recommendations for a drain snake? I just need one in general. Should I get a "power snake" with its own motor, or one that uses my power tools/batteries (ryobi 18v), or one that fits in the bit of a drill, or just a basic hand cranked one? How big and how long should I look for, and any other accessories I will want?

Most hardware stores will have one you can hook your power drill to, but to be honest they are good for things like hair and light bathroom and kitchen clogs and not much else. If you have roots or mud or anything substantial in there, they aren't going to do a thing to it. A plumber will use a great big machine with interchangeable heads to cut roots and clear debris, and even then it might be something else entirely. We had our main drain fail, pulled a ton of mud and roots out of it until it was running clear, it failed again 3 or 4 days later, and it turned out that the (ancient clay sectional) pipe had collapsed somewhere in the yard and was cramming everything under the sod. Might not be what happened to you but those pictures don't exactly inspire confidence about what is happening underground. The big augers are fun to play with if you want to rent one though! Don't turn it on until the heads in the pipe!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Paying for professional roto-rooting is 100% worth it. It's very much an experience job and the guys who do it will have special tarps to leave no mess behind.

The guys who I've paid to do it did, anyway.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Captain Organ posted:

Might not be what happened to you but those pictures don't exactly inspire confidence about what is happening underground.

I'll definitely look into just having it done then. What about those pics doesn't inspire confidence about what's happening underground?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I must admit that I didn't realize that we were talking about a rain gutter when I posted "pay pros" for it - i thought we were talking about the main sewage line from a house, and I just scrolled up now when I saw reference to "pics."

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So after pumping up my motorcycle tyre by hand I am in the market for a power tool. What is the consensus? Get a proper compressor? Battery powered model by one of the tool manufacturers? Or just a cheapo lithium one like the Xiaomi?
I probably would use it at most three times a year. But obviously an air compressor could be useful for other things.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SEKCobra posted:

So after pumping up my motorcycle tyre by hand I am in the market for a power tool. What is the consensus? Get a proper compressor? Battery powered model by one of the tool manufacturers? Or just a cheapo lithium one like the Xiaomi?
I probably would use it at most three times a year. But obviously an air compressor could be useful for other things.

https://youtu.be/44Bzvtr2SmU

k is for kompressor

and kompressor is for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

k is for kompressor
and kompressor is for you

You do not use Ryobi One,
Instead you buy Makita
Kompressor break your glue gun
Kompressor scoff at windcheater

SEKCobra posted:

Do you currently have, or have any other use for, a 18V battery tool system?
If so I would get a pump and a drill/driver.

If not then I would get a cheap air compressor.