Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Words were said; mistakes were made:

congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

:mummyface: best face.

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes
Congratulations man! Well done!

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Thanks all! And I'm quite fond of my Inverted Gear stuff... just wish they would quit shrinking on me (yes cold water wash and hang dry).

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Congrats, welcome to the club!

Yeah, IG gis shrink like crazy. I had a lightweight one from them that shrunk so much that I gave it to to a training buddy who's nearly a head shorter and at least 40lbs lighter than me, even with exclusively cold water and air drying.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Congrats!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Crongats!

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I got a stripe on my white belt lol

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

stramit posted:

Nice! Keep up the good work.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Sup, goon! We also had a surprise belt ceremony.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Congrats to the purple belts :)

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Pyle posted:

:mummyface: :mummyface: :mummyface: :mummyface:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hell yeah, congrats guys :mummyface:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thread is ranking up, drat.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I got my blue belt a month ago but forgot to take photos.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pron on VHS posted:

There's still time

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

You've still got a belt and a a face and a camera duder.

Belt mummy it up!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

stramit posted:

In all seriousness this is the promotion that goes to the smallest %age of eligible participants. A greater percentage of 1-stripe white belts will become black belts than complete novices will become 1-stripe, so congratulations! The rest just requires that you be too stupid to quit.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

In all seriousness this is the promotion that goes to the smallest %age of eligible participants. A greater percentage of 1-stripe white belts will become black belts than complete novices will become 1-stripe, so congratulations! The rest just requires that you be too stupid to quit.

yea, every promotion is good and impressive. I'm gonna celebrate the hell outta the third stripe on my purple belt, because the time it took between getting my second and third is currently at about 2 years, and a lot of people who are in the same boat don't look like they're coming back.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I am very stupid.

It's kind of silly but it feels really good and I know so much more than I did 6 months ago (even though I know I don't know anything). We have a new 101 class coming into the fundamentals classes in a week or two. I'm very excited for this.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
i dont have a belt yet, but a guy was rolling with said “good job today”

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

stramit posted:

Congrats!

When I got my first stripe they told me I had to stay for 10 more years so you better be ready to so the same!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Head Bee Guy posted:

Hespecht e parabéns

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I’m wearing that same shirt literally right now. Also, good job!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Wow thread, great work at the moment.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Injured my rib FTW

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Tried to post on my head but it didn’t work and I head butted the floor and bent my neck weird. No injury or pain but ehhhh didn’t feel good man.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Also there was a bigger guy in the class today about my size (6”4’ 220+) and it was nice to roll with someone my size. The smaller guys are too fast for me but having a slower bigger guy was nice.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Congrats on the purple belt. Purple is a really fun place to be!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Got my first belt

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Head Bee Guy posted:

Got my first belt

Straight to black? Noice.

sorry about the injury

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Pyle posted:

Congrats goons!

Head Bee Guy posted:

I am probably a million years away from getting a belt but when someone tells me that I'm getting better it makes me feel great all week

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

The folks saying they don't have a belt: is that just no gi? Our gym starts out white belt in gi but they don't give people who do no gi only belts. It's mostly an mma gym though.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

knuthgrush posted:

The folks saying they don't have a belt: is that just no gi? Our gym starts out white belt in gi but they don't give people who do no gi only belts. It's mostly an mma gym though.

Oh, I just mean I'm a white belt. Our gym doesn't do stripes either

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

stramit posted:

Tried to post on my head but it didn’t work and I head butted the floor and bent my neck weird. No injury or pain but ehhhh didn’t feel good man.

I did that once in my first year and my neck "cracked" like knuckles and so I've only just now started tentatively posting with my head again, and never from height - I'll just touch my head to the ground on my own decision, in say mount.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What position were you posting from? I’ve done that when I was trying to do rolling armbars from the turtle position, or trying to enter a similar kind of position while rolling through kimuras.

I’ve found that if you aim your head towards their butt, it’s safe to post on the floor, and hold yourself up, even with a little bit of force. If your head is facing away from them, or even straight down, I won’t risk it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't remember if it was side control or mount, but we were both dumb white belts and he was bridging me up and over to roll me ; it probably also matters that he was significantly bigger and more athletic than me. I posted on my head, he kept trying the roll, and my neck cracked. I was fine, thankfully.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What position were you posting from? I’ve done that when I was trying to do rolling armbars from the turtle position,

It was basically this. Ehhh

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Thinking about promotions...

Got my BJJ brown belt in 2016 and in the meantime moved, part time grad school, 2 kids and the COVID break. I kept training at least casually but obviously way slower and no comps.

The senior BB at my new school moved, the guys teaching are great but they're new to the rank. So lol, I'm basically never going to be a BB.

I've got like 3 buddies back home that started with me who were promoted so probably I'll just ask one of them to do it over beers in a couple years.

I'm kind of over that stuff really mattering but ngl sometimes makes me a little sad. Especially when I'm seeing more dudes of my cohort or younger making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

I'm kind of over that stuff really mattering but ngl sometimes makes me a little sad. Especially when I'm seeing more dudes of my cohort or younger making it.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be acknowledged dude. You made it to brown it's basically only a matter of time before you can dunk enough on newer black belts that someone is gonna be embarrassed enough about it to promote ya.