Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Z the IVth posted:

Erda wanted to give them all perfect hair but Emps went :goonsay: about how you should spend more time doing fascism rather than preening about in front of a mirror and wow would you look at that.
The Horus Hairesy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it is kinda weird that nearly all the chaos painters are more experienced (cuz actual noobs just get tac marines yadda yadda), and the omnipresent baldness is to make it easier to paint, so all the experienced painters are getting the easier to paint ones and the less experienced painters are getting the harder to paint ones

should be imperials are baldies and chaos should be the ones w hair, realistically
Hair is way easier to paint than skintones.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Horus Hairesy
Turns out one of the forgotten primarchs hailed from the planet Barberus.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Arquinsiel posted:

Hair is way easier to paint than skintones.

more like peeps expect less out of painted hair than painted skintones

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm not sure what your avatar's expectations have to do with it, but it really is just a lot easier to do hair that looks okay than it is to do skintones that look okay.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Benagain posted:

Buddy if it's like gotrek in AoS it'll be great just a drunken insane killing machine making GBS threads on everything he sees

40k already has an abundance of axe wielding maniacs that fit this role though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm not sure what your avatar's expectations have to do with it, but it really is just a lot easier to do hair that looks okay than it is to do skintones that look okay.

That used to be the case but now anyone can just smear Contrast on it and call it a day.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fearless posted:

40k already has an abundance of axe wielding maniacs that fit this role though.

If there is one thing life has taught me it's that you can never have enough axe wielding maniacs.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

notaspy posted:

Give me a couple of ideas:

1. The foreman that is willfully bad at their job and causes untold deaths gets raised into minor demonhood

2. The person who builds a factory line of death in a building with a Korne sign over the door

This is just reminding me that the Corpse-Grinder Cults from Necromunda are still the coolest take there ever has been on Khorne worship and also just such a neat bit of worldbuilding.

Mikojan posted:

Has any new blood popped up thats put anything out that is worth reading?
Hardly new blood-he left BL after some disagreements-but Josh Reynolds is an absolute champ.

Kaal posted:

In my internal canon: One of the lost legions was explicitly too evil for the emperor to tolerate and had to be put down, while the other legion was too good and refused to participate in the Great Crusade so they met a similar fate.
See, I just genuinely can't believe that there's a way to outdo the Night Lords when it comes to that. And I say this as someone who LIKES the Night Lords and finds Konrad Curze a deeply tragic character.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah I mean look at this guy

He's just as likely to be a loyalist. These dudes just loved being awful and doing space crimes.

Of course that's why I love them. It doesn't matter who they're skinning babies for, only that babies get skinned. Plus they look sick!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Any opinions on the new Sigismund and Huron books?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

40K fiction needs more ambiguity, not less.

It needs more hard facts that are contradicted nearly immediately afterwards.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

t3isukone posted:

See, I just genuinely can't believe that there's a way to outdo the Night Lords when it comes to that. And I say this as someone who LIKES the Night Lords and finds Konrad Curze a deeply tragic character.

Here's my theory-crafting take on that: To my mind, at least, I'd say that pre-Heresy Night Lords were an expression of the emperor's aspect of dominance. They sought to rule their territories using fear and brutality to deter humans from disobedience or misbehavior. Curze grappled with the concept of the ends justifying the means, and he ended up spiraling and being consumed by it. But they fundamentally saw themselves as part of human imperial society, and acted in their nominal interests (up until the betrayal, when their ends shifted).

Whereas I would envision an evil Lost Legion II as being obsessed with their own transhumanism - wanting to replace humanity rather than rule over it. They would be an expression of the emperor's superiority. Perhaps this would be shown by the Lost Primach becoming increasingly frustrated with human limitation, and attempting the mass conversion of their human populations into Space Marines, regardless of the casualty rates. A gangster like Curze, a zealot like Lorgar, or even a butcher like Angron can be tolerated in ways that a supremacist cannot.

Conversely, I'd see a moral Lost Legion XI as being overly focused on peace and stability. They'd be an expression of the emperor's role as a statesman, and see themselves more as diplomats than warriors. Their Lost Primarch would be doubtful about the merits of empire building via the point of a sword, and his willingness to seek peaceful conflict resolution and even power sharing would jeopardize imperial ambitions. A pacifist who refuses to fight, and indeed calls into question the value of war, represents just as much a threat to the emperor's plans as a sociopath like Perturabo or schemers like Alpharius and Omegon.

What I think is similar about these two legion concepts - and why they would be intentionally covered up via damnatio memoriae - is that they call into question critical aspects of imperial society. Even if it managed to strengthen the species without killing everyone, evolutionary transcendence would fundamentally upset the balance of weak humans ruled by elite transhumans that the emperor's rule is founded upon. And on a similar note, a successful peaceful confederation of equals would disrupt the sovereignty of imperial autocracy. Even Mortarion's cowardice, Fulgrim's vanity, and Horus' insecurity were presented as wanting to replace the emperor rather than remake society entirely.

Whether it is replacing humans with transhumans, or creating a peaceful galactic union, both concepts challenge the hierarchies that the empire (and later the chaos worlds) is built upon. And even the destruction of such legions would immediately raise difficult questions about the ultimate role of transhumans in a society that they can never become part of nor be at peace with. Hence why they would be erased from imperial history, and yet also presage the Heresy.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Pyrolocutus posted:

Any opinions on the new Sigismund and Huron books?

Both fine. Sigismund was the better of the two. I get my 40k fix through audible so my criteria for what is fine might be a bit mixed.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I finished Throne of Light and it's... Kind of trash? Nothing of note happens, they introduce a concept at the start of the book and at the end of the book they're like "Is it that? Maybe! Who knows!".

It's a filler book from start to finish. Like a bottle episode in a TV show.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's what the rulebooks are for!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Demiurge4 posted:

I finished Throne of Light and it's... Kind of trash? Nothing of note happens, they introduce a concept at the start of the book and at the end of the book they're like "Is it that? Maybe! Who knows!".

Looks like Dawn of Fire is doing its job as a HH followup then

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theyre prolly gonna go and try to figure out gotrek in space, won't they?

I want official Slayer Votann kin. I've already kitbashed a few but give me a few more anyway dammit!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It needs more explicitly unreliable narrators.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Bucnasti posted:

It needs more explicitly unreliable narrators.

the whole imperium and chaos can't both be all alpha legionnaires!

Or can they?

Ardent Communist fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 8, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kaal posted:

In my internal canon: One of the lost legions was explicitly too evil for the emperor to tolerate and had to be put down, while the other legion was too good and refused to participate in the Great Crusade so they met a similar fate.

maybe but kurze and angron are around doing god knows what horrors, hell the night lords are basically just a death squad from the sadist part of hell. my guess would be that it was either super xeno lovers OR it was psycho like kurz but like not mentally ill. Big E knows he is gonna have to blow kurze and angrons brains out and at some point because were both dead weight outside terror tactics filled with maddness/etc. my guess is psycho could have actually possed a threat instead of nuisance

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It could very well be something really minor that got them excommunicated. Early on the Emperor was probably like “these guys are messed up, not what I intended, good thing I have 18 more.” Later on he realized they were all hosed up and he couldn’t afford to lose any more.

Or they just fell to chaos. When it’s one legion at a time it’s easy to cover that poo poo up and expunge all memory of them. When half of them go bad at once you can’t memory hole them the same way.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah but I think that mystery is going to be the central plot device going forward in DoF and/or will tie into Abnett's Bequin stuff.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

One of the banished Primarxhs was Boat Primarch and was excomed because Emps gets seasick

The other was raised by Orks

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyepqEI_tnM

The trailer for Interrogator Season Act II has been released.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/08/dan-abnett-interview-how-to-start-and-finish-the-most-epic-series-in-sci-fi

Also the final HH book (supposedly) is called The End and the Death.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Can't wait for the six book Scouring coda.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So how is Abaddon pronounced? Like, is it Abba-don (emphasized like Megatron) or A-BAD-don (emphasized like “abandon” or “a bad one”)?

Like for some reason “Abba-don the Despoiler” sounds correct in my head, but at the same time “A-bad-on Black” (the Citadel paint) also sounds correct. But they both sound wrong if I switch them.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Per the silly Bible podcast “Apocrypals,” it’s the latter.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

So how is Abaddon pronounced? Like, is it Abba-don (emphasized like Megatron) or A-BAD-don (emphasized like “abandon” or “a bad one”)?

Like for some reason “Abba-don the Despoiler” sounds correct in my head, but at the same time “A-bad-on Black” (the Citadel paint) also sounds correct. But they both sound wrong if I switch them.

Honestly, even the people who work at GW agree with you - they say "a-BAD-dun black" and "ABBA-don" as a character.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

ABBA-DAWN, per the Saturnine audiobook at least.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94rLbC4s-2w

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

quote:

Dan: The final book is called The End and the Death. Astute readers will know exactly where that phrase comes from (clue: he’s the one who walks beside you…)
Dang, can't wait for the fight between Sanguinius and Dio Brando.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Count Thrashula posted:

Honestly, even the people who work at GW agree with you - they say "a-BAD-dun black" and "ABBA-don" as a character.

This is legit funny

Unhelpful, but funny

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Mocking Abbadon is always a helpful and productive activity.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Klaus88 posted:

Mocking Abbadon is always a helpful and productive activity.

Its really played out tbh

Especially because ADB has made him a lot more interesting in the Black Legion books

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AnEdgelord posted:

Its really played out tbh

Especially because ADB has made him a lot more interesting in the Black Legion books

*slow pan to a bunch of Night Lords making jerking-off motions*

I agree, it's just funny that they don't

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Abbadon was also a demon horse in a manowar song as described by Orson welles narration who used the a-BAD-on way so that will always sound right to me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The actual answer is "English is funny and the syllable that immediately follows the last syllable of a word changes the stresses" but gently caress all people learn scansion anymore so it's just weirdos like me who know that both are correct and you're only noticing it being done with his name because it's a silly nerd character when you never notice it being done with your own.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
'abaddon' was a borrowing from the hebrew 5 centuries before the lads at nottingham were born

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

This is legit funny

Unhelpful, but funny

They are just inconsistent, they use both