Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

precision posted:

you know what would own

Predator v Dredd

like have the Pred drop onto Megacity and it starts huntin chooms in a tower, then the Judges show up and they completely clown on the Predator, and now we're rooting for the confused alien who is being systematically hunted down by a squad of Dredds

The 90's were an incredible time.

It's my understanding that any Dredd comic is canon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah that Charl saga Patrick Willems was doing was absolutely cringe

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
99% of "funny" youtube asides are objectively awful, i don't understand why people keep doing them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kliras posted:

99% of "funny" youtube asides are objectively awful, i don't understand why people keep doing them

presumably because the vast majority of humanity has apparently decided they're funny and good and people like us who dislike them are the weirdos

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
AvP arcade beat ‘‘em up video game is the best after Alien, Aliens, Predator 1 and 2.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
predator vs titanic

nobody knows what happened on that boat... it coulda been true...

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Talk about Predator vs Dredd just makes me sad that the Dredd vs Judge Death sequel that Alex Garland wanted to make will never happen.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Talk about Predator vs Dredd just makes me sad that the Dredd vs Judge Death sequel that Alex Garland wanted to make will never happen.

Which is weird? Garland's become a name-above-the-title director and Urban's stock is up with The Boys. Surely Garland could find the money for it if he tried.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Which is weird? Garland's become a name-above-the-title director and Urban's stock is up with The Boys. Surely Garland could find the money for it if he tried.

At the time Garland was talking about it, he didn't yet have a directing credit and Urban's biggest role was a supporting character in Trek. Dredd was also a property that had two financial flops, the most recent of which he had written and (reportedly) ghost directed.

At this point, he and Urban might have enough clout to overcome the uphill battle of pitching a loose sequel to a film that, at best, found a cult following ten years ago... but does he want still want to? Urban still voices interest in the franchise whenever asked, but I last saw Garland discuss his ideas 8 years ago. He may not be interested anymore. Or at least, it's likely that directing his own original projects is a higher priority now that he has the full freedom to do so.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bugblatter posted:

At the time Garland was talking about it, he didn't yet have a directing credit and Urban's biggest role was a supporting character in Trek. Dredd was also a property that had two financial flops, the most recent of which he had written and (reportedly) ghost directed.

At this point, he and Urban might have enough clout to overcome the uphill battle of pitching a loose sequel to a film that, at best, found a cult following ten years ago... but does he want still want to? Urban still voices interest in the franchise whenever asked, but I last saw Garland discuss his ideas 8 years ago. He may not be interested anymore. Or at least, it's likely that directing his own original projects is a higher priority now that he has the full freedom to do so.

The Mega-City One series is in talks, and while it won't be Dredd-centric (if it comes to pass at all) there's been some discussion about Urban reprising the role in it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Jedit posted:

The Mega-City One series is in talks, and while it won't be Dredd-centric (if it comes to pass at all) there's been some discussion about Urban reprising the role in it.

It’s been in talks for nearly half a decade and momentum stalled some time ago. I hope it gets a push, but I won’t hold my breath.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kliras posted:

Because most of these YouTubers want to be actual content creators. Take Patrick in this example. He starting making pretty good videos about movies, but he really wants to be a director, so he’s trying to make the shift. He’s turned this Charl thing into a full blown movie only available on some pay streaming service, and it’s like, dude, that is not why most people are tuning into you. I’m sure you have a small vocal fan base telling you you’re doing a great job, but it’s just terrible stuff.

It’s similar to Lindsey Ellis writing books now. They’re hoping their YouTube fame will be their foot in the door to larger fame. But you have to actually be good at the other thing, which tends to be a stumbling point for many.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSbtDurQ7nE

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

precision posted:

presumably because the vast majority of humanity has apparently decided they're funny and good and people like us who dislike them are the weirdos

I know it can feel this way but it's because Youtube has shuttled you off the "main track".

99% of Youtube Movie Crit people's best video aren't even in the same league as, say, your average moderately popular Video Game Lore video. If we get into Affiable Engineering area they're a blip, can't remotely compete with, say, a guy who makes 3 minute videos of him picking a lock while pleasantly discussing security issues. If we actually go into the True Mainstream Youtube area, the Mr. Beasts of the world, they are quite honestly less than a speck of dust.

The average person is not watching or engaging with this poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's true. I'm not even that into video games but I subscribe to a ton of that content because it's so well done and engaging. I probably subscribe to 3 movie-related channels and barely ever watch them. They're just so loving dumb yet self-assured in their genius.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
people like ellis and breadtube seem fairly decent at doing "bits", because they mainly serve to punctuate some 1+ hour treatise, and they seem to be in on the issue of the material being kind of dry and silly

self-deprecation is excellent as long as people aren't just unironically doing some jazzy finger-snapping "deconstruction" as their screenplays and other forays in their preferred industry continue to get ritually rejected. kind of like the GAME CRITICS who keep acting like "how hard could game development possibly be?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I know it can feel this way but it's because Youtube has shuttled you off the "main track".

99% of Youtube Movie Crit people's best video aren't even in the same league as, say, your average moderately popular Video Game Lore video. If we get into Affiable Engineering area they're a blip, can't remotely compete with, say, a guy who makes 3 minute videos of him picking a lock while pleasantly discussing security issues. If we actually go into the True Mainstream Youtube area, the Mr. Beasts of the world, they are quite honestly less than a speck of dust.

true, but i still wonder why someone like Folding Ideas or Jenny Nicholson has the same following as someone like Sarah Zed or Big Joel (i'm not insulting those two people, i'm just using them as examples of people who are the opposite end of the quality spectrum while still having ostensibly similar goals)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I legit Jenny Nicholson was making fun of insane Star Wars fans / fandom in general with hour long things on nothing.

Then I learned it was all genuine and sincere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vintersorg posted:

I legit Jenny Nicholson was making fun of insane Star Wars fans / fandom in general with hour long things on nothing.

Then I learned it was all genuine and sincere.

:confused:

it's not a binary. she's deffo very self aware

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Honestly, you can flip this around to come to a much less cynical conclusion: however completely loving obscure your pet hobbyhorse is, there's an audience for it.

Sturgeon's law still applies, tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

kliras posted:

i recall this video making me respect predator even more beyond "basic" cool action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InyKZ0F-fVU

(don't worry, it's a very laid-back channel)

This was fun to watch and had some good points but I've never worked harder at watching a video, there's so much fat and stupid bits in this thing its amazing.

e; fb. Interested in seeing that John Mctiernan video tho

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

This was fun to watch and had some good points but I've never worked harder at watching a video, there's so much fat and stupid bits in this thing its amazing.

e; fb. Interested in seeing that John Mctiernan video tho

You're definitely not wrong. The bits and all the stupid poo poo on the outside of the topic itself just drive me crazy.

One of the other places that hasn't been brought up where I think a lot of YouTubers (this applies to some video game YouTubers like Scott the Woz, too) go wrong is putting their friends in their videos. Even if you're good on camera, because you've been making videos for several years now, your friends suck. Do not, do not, DO NOT put them on camera.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Things Youtube has been absolutely fantastic for:

Helping me do physical projects and diy repair (painting tips, fixing an electrical issue, understanding why an engine won't start)
Deep dives into scientific and engineering topics
Comparing the size of a thing to another thing
"Hey remember this thing from when you were a kid? You weren't crazy, here's footage that it actually existed"

Things Youtube is not absolutely fantastic for:

Literally everything else

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Things Youtube has been absolutely fantastic for:

Helping me do physical projects and diy repair (painting tips, fixing an electrical issue, understanding why an engine won't start)

It's true, my grandfather (who is 95 now, but this was when he was around 85) called me around 10 years ago and said, "So the bathroom faucet was leaking, and I put into the google how to fix it. A video came up on something called YouTube, I think? Anyway, it showed me exactly how to fix it! And now it's fixed! I wish I had this internet when I was younger, I could have done anything! It's amazing!"

This was around the same time he also called me to tell me, "So I downloaded something called Chrome because that 'IE' thing is a piece of poo poo."

As a web developer, I remember thinking that if my grandfather gets it, why can't everyone else get it?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
youtube also really benefitted from how all companies decided they weren't going to make useful manuals anymore. at best, they'd throw up a terrible video, but usually you have to spend a day watching a bunch of awful videos that will only explain part of how you're supposed to do things

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh man i love science youtube

i particularly like PBS Space Time, which is an independant show that PBS gives money to i guess? anyway, it's written and hosted by this dude who, i am convinced, is an actual alien

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

precision posted:

oh man i love science youtube

i particularly like PBS Space Time, which is an independant show that PBS gives money to i guess? anyway, it's written and hosted by this dude who, i am convinced, is an actual alien

I know the dude and yeah the "I'm explaining stuff my planet learns in kindergarten to the dumbo earthlings" vibe is very strong.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Elden Ring youtube is good times TBH. TONS to dissect. Zullie the Witch, IronPineapple, Illusory Wall and Vaati.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Everyone should watch The Best Ever Food Review Show on YouTube instead of lovely video essays by faux-intellectuals with garbage opinions.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I know the dude and yeah the "I'm explaining stuff my planet learns in kindergarten to the dumbo earthlings" vibe is very strong.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I like watching music gear videos and sometimes music analysis poo poo, if they're not jerks.

Why Does This Song Suck is funny.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The only thing I watch daily on YouTube is Cartoonist Kayfabe because its two comic book artists whose work I already enjoyed, and the focus isn’t their faces or them trying to workshop their standup routine, they just flip through old out of print comics and expensive art books that I would probably never get to see in person.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i like Trash Theory, a guy who does good surface-level videos about pop music. he rarely tells me anything i don't know, per se, but since he's british there's definitely an unique view on pop music to the one i had growing up in USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFE678447X4

edit: meant to link his PJ Harvey video lmao, but that one works too

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

It doesn’t help this guy’s case that he literally had 2 minutes of illuminating content in his 25min sketch show.

1. predator merges slasher and action
2. it effects a response because the victims of slashing are buff dudes not manlets and schoolgirls
3. the director wanted to satirize extreme violence a lil bit.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Vintersorg posted:

Elden Ring youtube is good times TBH. TONS to dissect. Zullie the Witch, IronPineapple, Illusory Wall and Vaati.

Not to mention saint_riot, who is hands down the most entertaining souls pvp streamer

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

new NOPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUgmq_8PlRY

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh lol that's a wild direction to go with the story. I love it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Is that Michael Wincott? Oh hell yes, I haven’t seen that guy in years.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oh that looks fun as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Get to look forward to this now too. Could be fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAI1_0xnmL0