Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

They should sell these to American chuds

American chuds: Known for their love of small, gas efficient coupes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Minister of Defence Reznikov. A good read.

"...we have already received, bought on the market, manufactured and handed over to the Armed Forces of Ukraine a significant number of weapons. These numbers would have been enough for a victorious defence operation against any army in Europe. But not against russia."

https://uatv.ua/en/ukraine-has-enou...fense-minister/

Why is current stock insufficient defensively against Russia?

"Ukrainian troops are suffering massive losses as they are outgunned 20 to one in artillery and 40 to one in ammunition by Russian forces"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-war-intelligence-russia-kyiv-military-b2096715.html

Heavy artillery and armor cannot arrive soon enough. Step it the gently caress up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

South Africa was a somewhat unique case due to its "fair but not free" (or whatever the terminology is) elections. There's no real mechanism for any substantial subset of the Russian people, maybe not even the "oligarchs," to kick Putin out, no matter how much they want the sanctions gone. Israel is basically the only country anyone talks about sanctioning that's comparable to South Africa in this regard, I think.

Oligarchs alone are very unlikely to be able to kick him out. Veering a little bit into semantics, an “oligarch” in Russia was a term for an entrepreneur with a sway over the federal politics, who actively exercised it. Those were beasts of Yeltsin era, who have all been forced to pledge their influence to Putin, exiled, or outright killed. The current class of so-called oligarchs does fail to meet the traditional domestic definition of it, and is broadly subservient to Putin. An important function they ought fulfil is safekeeping of his assets - virtually everything they own has been redistributed by and through Putin, with them acting as useful idiots for absorbing sanctions, shielding rest of Putin’s wealth from them.

Unless someone was uncouth enough to sanction all of them.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

So they are either
1) Raising the price for exchange
2) Speedtracking murdering them so Ukrainians start killing prisoners in response so Russia can use material for troop morale and internal propaganda

One weird trick to keep your forced conscripts from surrendering. POWs hate it!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oligarchs alone are very unlikely to be able to kick him out. Veering a little bit into semantics, an “oligarch” in Russia was a term for an entrepreneur with a sway over the federal politics, who actively exercised it. Those were beasts of Yeltsin era, who have all been forced to pledge their influence to Putin, exiled, or outright killed. The current class of so-called oligarchs does fail to meet the traditional domestic definition of it, and is broadly subservient to Putin. An important function they ought fulfil is safekeeping of his assets - virtually everything they own has been redistributed by and through Putin, with them acting as useful idiots for absorbing sanctions, shielding rest of Putin’s wealth from them.

Definitions be what they may, Putin is just a guy. Caesar was just a guy. Wielding absolute power is absolutely dangerous. People aren't subservient to Putin because he wields The One Ring, but merely because it's in their interest - be it fear, power, money, nationalism, what have you. Push, push and push, before you know it he's dead.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not to mention that olygarchs most hurt by the sanctions, those who had ties and holding in the west were likely against the war in the first place. While weapon manufacturers Rothenbergs are hurt the least

Burns
May 10, 2008

Germany's leadership often comes out as dogshit in coverage. What is the general German public opinion on whats been going on?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Burns posted:

Germany's leadership often comes out as dogshit in coverage. What is the general German public opinion on whats been going on?

Depending on poll, roughly 50/50 split on whether to ship heavy arms to Ukraine, give or take 5 points. When it comes to taking tougher stances vs Russia, pretty unpopular as of May.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Burns posted:

A post few weeks earlier was about German stockholders complaining about their losses and how unfair that they lose money over something that isnt Germany's problem

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Burns posted:

Honestly it's funny that anyone expects Germany to be a leader in a military situation. They're uh pretty or of practice, and it shows. I'm not exactly pumped to have Germany return to it's role a great military power. Japan, too.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Some russian banks started applying negative rates to foreign currency accounts, up to -12% a year in one case. That's how you know everything is going great.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Honestly it's funny that anyone expects Germany to be a leader in a military situation. They're uh pretty or of practice, and it shows. I'm not exactly pumped to have Germany return to it's role a great military power. Japan, too.

Ill never understand this fear that two countries who were horrible authoritarian empires 80 years ago will become horrible authoritarian empires again if they decide to stop neutering themselves militarily.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Depending on poll, roughly 50/50 split on whether to ship heavy arms to Ukraine, give or take 5 points. When it comes to taking tougher stances vs Russia, pretty unpopular as of May.

I am German and this is correct. We have like another month or two of even vaguely pretending that we wouldn't be fine with Russia winning in us, that's it

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Count Roland posted:

Nobody is asking Germany to lead. Just to send, you know, some Marders from the 1970s that are in storage.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Ill never understand this fear that two countries who were horrible authoritarian empires 80 years ago will become horrible authoritarian empires again if they decide to stop neutering themselves militarily.

Especially when these two countries bear almost zero resemblance today to the way they were 80 years ago.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

https://charter97.org/ru/news/2022/6/9/501892/

Heh after Lavrov's failure to arrive in Serbia he went to Yerevan. I love the protesters placard blunt and stupid just how russia understands. Lavrov - suka is a new one but I hope it catches on. He doesnt have a nickname yet.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is the situation similar in France and Italy? It does seem like the Europeans want a negotiated ceasefire but I'm not sure what their long term idea of the situation is.

Just sacrifice Ukraine as a buffer state to keep the gas flowing? How will they get the US and Poland to stop giving support to the Ukrainians if the Ukrainians don't give up?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

Is the situation similar in France and Italy? It does seem like the Europeans want a negotiated ceasefire but I'm not sure what their long term idea of the situation is.

Just sacrifice Ukraine as a buffer state to keep the gas flowing? How will they get the US and Poland to stop giving support to the Ukrainians if the Ukrainians don't give up?

Italy is a bit odd. If Germany has milquetoast leadership and public that is getting bathed in bothsideism by it, than Italy is much more laissez faire about platforming Kremlin’s jesters, but the leadership, basically just Draghi specifically, supports Ukraine hard enough to even support their EU membership.

French public opinion I have no pulse of, but the government seems to be in this weird spot where Jupiter wants to become a hero of a Greek drama, while the rest of the governor is kind of just “okay bro” while sending supplies to Ukraine.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

Northern Europe and the EU politicians do not want any such. Russia has to withdraw. End of story.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/TayfunOzberk/status/1534953719909040129?cxt=HHwWgoC-3dKRoM0qAAAA

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1534973237133725700
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1534973251834761218

Any guesses who the rear end in a top hat 3 are?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

France, Germany, and Hungary (all guesses).

Edit: Guessing more seriously - Germany, the Netherlands, and someone else.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 9, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Usual suspects, I assume: Hungary, Slovakia, maybe Italy? Czechia?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

American chuds: Known for their love of small, gas efficient coupes

They also think seatbelts and ABS turn people gay so I think a marketer could make it work

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tiny Timbs posted:

They also think seatbelts and ABS turn people gay so I think a marketer could make it work

Driving at 200KM/He with no ABS and no seatbelts will turn them into men. Ready to fight for Russia's imperialist dreams

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sekenr posted:

https://charter97.org/ru/news/2022/6/9/501892/

Heh after Lavrov's failure to arrive in Serbia he went to Yerevan. I love the protesters placard blunt and stupid just how russia understands. Lavrov - suka is a new one but I hope it catches on. He doesnt have a nickname yet.

Sure he does. Sad horse.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Oracle posted:

Two of them are Denmark and the Netherlands. The Netherlands was also against the visa-free regime for Ukraine back in the day.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ola posted:

Definitions be what they may, Putin is just a guy. Caesar was just a guy. Wielding absolute power is absolutely dangerous. People aren't subservient to Putin because he wields The One Ring, but merely because it's in their interest - be it fear, power, money, nationalism, what have you. Push, push and push, before you know it he's dead.

Yeah, for all endless rumours of total loyalty and fear of security apparatus and 20 years of negative selection I feel like ousting of Putin would be sudden and come from people that public and experts alike dont suspect. Not in the form of snuffbox to the head but Gorbachyov-style forced vacation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oracle posted:

Hungary, sure, doubt it's Czechoslovakia. They've been very supportive short of some oil sanctions I think.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Driving at 200KM/He with no ABS and no seatbelts will turn them into men. Ready to fight for Russia's imperialist dreams

Sadly I don't think you could hit 200km/h in a Lada

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I hope they sink the entire black sea fleet.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I think it is seatbelt pre-tensioners specifically. I only pick up on this because I don't have any features from that list until very recently but I have always had seatbelts.

Actually, do 76 series landcruisers have ABS? I guess they have a drivers side airbag but that would be about it. We are buy them new for work and they certainly don't have GPS or ESP hahaha.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah, for all endless rumours of total loyalty and fear of security apparatus and 20 years of negative selection I feel like ousting of Putin would be sudden and come from people that public and experts alike dont suspect. Not in the form of snuffbox to the head but Gorbachyov-style forced vacation.

I'm thinking inside coup, surprise assasination and then subsequent very painful civil war, but I think that's better than the current situation .

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kraftwerk posted:

I hope they sink the entire black sea fleet.

I do too but probably not with these harpoons. Need something aircraft-based to hit stuff farther out.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I think it is seatbelt pre-tensioners specifically. I only pick up on this because I don't have any features from that list until very recently but I have always had seatbelts.

Actually, do 76 series landcruisers have ABS? I guess they have a drivers side airbag but that would be about it. We are buy them new for work and they certainly don't have GPS or ESP hahaha.
Yes they say it's pre-tensioners but it doesn't really matter, russians don't use seatbelts anyway so they could probably save some more by leaving them out entirely.

No idea about the LC, I'd expect them to at least have ABS but :shrug:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 9, 2022

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I do too but probably not with these harpoons. Need something aircraft-based to hit stuff farther out.

Harpoons are designed from the get-go for over-the-horizon targeting. I don't know how it works, I assume drone stuff hasn't been integrated already, but I suspect "punch in GPS numbers, let active seeker find and decide" is possible.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

How long will their dashcams continue to work under sanctions? :ohdear:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hannibal Rex posted:

How long will their dashcams continue to work under sanctions? :ohdear:

Dash cams are foreign influence

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

doubt it's Czechoslovakia.

Same since the country ceased to exist in 1993.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1535001763614445568

Does anyone know what about Ukraine will be decided by NATO?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Can’t possibly be more than thoughts and prayers (the door is still open, etcetera). Maybe a fresh pledge from whatever the current 30-40 military benefactors of Ukraine term themselves collectively, with the word itself eluding me at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

It's pretty wild that we're 3 months into this and Zelenskyy can still travel around Ukraine fairly freely and can even consider a vacation to Madrid.