Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Why is everyone in Europe so drat terrified of Russia when an underequipped Ukraine that has like 1/4th Russia's population is able to tie up 85% of Russia's current active duty forces?
Like what do they think Russia is going to do if Germany or others start sending the weapons that can really turn the tide of this war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Kraftwerk posted:

Why is everyone in Europe so drat terrified of Russia when an underequipped Ukraine that has like 1/4th Russia's population is able to tie up 85% of Russia's current active duty forces?
Like what do they think Russia is going to do if Germany or others start sending the weapons that can really turn the tide of this war?

If your Germany? Close the pipes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Molotov Ribbentrop is Alive and well.

Don't forget that.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As a proud member state of Eurovision, Australia is merely doing its part.

Is Germany being hesitant because they didn't get any points at eurovision?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

It was always a fake fig leaf.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CommieGIR posted:

To be fair: Russia is chewing through artillery without achieving massive results worth it, so while its bad I don't think its gonna work for them in the long run.

The Russians are already almost out of 122mm artillery shells. After they decided to streamline their tube artillery logistics around 152mm, the Russians dumped all the 122mm stuff on the LNR/DNR, to the point where almost all the LNR/DNR artillery units are using 122mm guns. There are reports that they are being forced to retrain and reequip LNR/DNR artillery units in 152mm because they have no more 122mm ammo.

On a different note, here's a reminder of how much casual brutality is a part of the normal SOP of the Russian military, even towards themselves.

https://www.proekt.media/en/investigation-en/names-of-the-russian-military-officers/

quote:

“Mlechnik” is considered a hellish place among conscripts. Parents of soldiers who served in the 64th Brigade in 2017-2019 say that the food in the unit is poor , it is cold in the barracks, and the uniforms issued are old and out of size. “Before some inspections, some of the soldiers are hidden in the baths, forests and other places for some reason. Maybe they don’t want to frighten the inspectors with the soldiers’ appearance since their uniforms, boots and physical condition leave much to be desired, » says the mother of one of the conscripts.

Field exercises are held twice a year at the training ground, where there are no basic living conditions. In winter and summer, the soldiers live in tents and wash themselves in an earthen pit, where they also wash their clothes. Because of all this, the recruits often fall ill, but there is no medical unit in the brigade. A nurse instructor treats the soldiers with the most primitive medicines, like paracetamol.

But the worst thing in “Mlechnik” is beatings and extortion. Both conscripts and officers engage in it. Soldiers from the national republics get into gangs and harass fellow conscripts: they take away their cash, bank cards and cell phones. In 2019, for example, a conscript from “Mlechnik” was sentenced to 1.5 years in prison for bullying and extorting a fellow soldier.

Not only do senior enlisted personnel not stop their subordinates, they themselves participate in the bullying. In February 2022, a senior warrant officer and a sergeant beat six privates. The drunken warrant officer checked the numbers on the soldiers’ bedside tables and slippers and beat those whose numbers did not match with a stick. One of the conscripts asked the sergeant to stop the warrant officer, but he joined in the torture.

Due to the fact that conscripts have no one to complain to, they try to run away from the unit or get a medical discharge — “they eat chlorine and swallow needles” . Sometimes soldiers go to extreme measures. For example, in 2014 conscript Alexei Snakin committed suicide. Major Nikolai Chabanov beat him with a broom handle, forced him to wear a bulletproof vest and gas mask all day long, and shortly before his death, he put Alexei “on a clock”, telling him to buy him a new computer. The court first sentenced Chabanov to a suspended sentence, and only after the intervention of human rights activists was the major sentenced to 3.5 years in a colony with deprivation of the right to hold senior positions for two years.

The “Mlechnik” servicemen show cruelty not only to fellow soldiers. In 2015, in the garrison in Knyaz-Volkonsky, a group of servicemen beat a passerby to death. The witness was the unit’s cook, who was passing by and stood up for the victim. He tried to call for help, but the crowd turned on him. “I went to the officer on duty. The chief warrant officer came out, the military police were here, and they were beating me in front of them, » he later told reporters. The cook eventually shot one of the attackers with a traumatic weapon and dragged the battered man to his car, where he died before medics arrived.

Khabarovsk Krai ranks third in Russia in terms of the number of sentences handed down in cases of non-statutory relations in the army . In second place is Primorsky Krai, which has its own “hell’s kitchen” — the village of Sergeevka. The 127th Motorized Rifle Division of the 5th Combined Arms Army, which also fought on the Kyiv front, is stationed there.

In 2018, 20-year-old contract serviceman Roman Sapegin escaped from the unit in Sergeyevka. He reported bullying, beatings and extortion by fellow servicemen from the Caucasus: “They take away phones and bank cards.” The last straw for him was the episode when a sergeant forced a private to wash the toilet bowl with his bare hands and severely beat him for refusing.

“Last year, a sentry in our unit shot himself at night, two more conscripts were run over to death by an Ural truck right on the firing range, and another soldier hanged himself, » he said.

In 2017, soldiers from Yakutia and Dagestan had a fight in the unit. After the video of the fight hit the web, an inspection was to come to the garrison from Moscow. The instigators of the brawl were sent home two days before the end of service, and the remaining servicemen were warned: “No one saw anything, maybe just a couple of people got into a fight, and that was it” .

Strange things sometimes happen in the settlement. In September 2018, a headless uniformed corpse was found near the Sergeevka unit. A year earlier, another decapitated body was found in neighboring Ussuriysk, where units of the 127th Division are also stationed, and it turned out to be Artillery Major Andrei Golovlev, who had disappeared in the summer of that year.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

golden bubble posted:

The Russians are already almost out of 122mm artillery shells. After they decided to streamline their tube artillery logistics around 152mm, the Russians dumped all the 122mm stuff on the LNR/DNR, to the point where almost all the LNR/DNR artillery units are using 122mm guns. There are reports that they are being forced to retrain and reequip LNR/DNR artillery units in 152mm because they have no more 122mm ammo.

On a different note, here's a reminder of how much casual brutality is a part of the normal SOP of the Russian military, even towards themselves.

https://www.proekt.media/en/investigation-en/names-of-the-russian-military-officers/

Conditions like this are enough to make soldiers turn their guns against their own people. How come not much of this is happening right now?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Conditions like this are enough to make soldiers turn their guns against their own people. How come not much of this is happening right now?

We don’t have information to reliable prove or disprove such things happening.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The most ironic thing about it is that there's a battalion in DNR who based their logo on one of the Metro factions.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 10, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1535291865129418752?s=20&t=VP2I9OBqMsHOh67eDDZ1bQ

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
:what:

Ukraine still has a navy??

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

OAquinas posted:

This is one of the reasons this war has to have a decisive end and can't just go on an indefinite "pause" like after 2014. Ukraine will have an extremely difficult time having any future economy if their only port left is Odessa, which can easily be blockaded by Russia if hostilities pop off again. They have to get back more of their coastal cities, their flag might be of the wheat fields but their coat of arms is an anchor for very good reason.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OAquinas posted:

The Ukrainians just keep impressing with their ballsy refusal to lay down and die when they're supposed to. Given my experiences with Polish sailors, I imagine these guys are probably stupid skilled and live for this Pirates of the Caribbean poo poo. (And also drink an insane amount).

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oracle posted:

The Ukrainians just keep impressing with their ballsy refusal to lay down and die when they're supposed to. Given my experiences with Polish sailors, I imagine these guys are probably stupid skilled and live for this Pirates of the Caribbean poo poo. (And also drink an insane amount).

They're topping off a bottle as the arty shells are landing within feet of the ship

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1535271617928081409?s=20&t=VP2I9OBqMsHOh67eDDZ1bQ

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Not as good as a kill, but it'll probably take the airframe offline for a while. Decent chance that plane gets scrapped for parts.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

GABA ghoul posted:

B) Doubt that we can affect the situation in a positive way. Thinking that 200 NATO artillery pieces that Ukraine can't even keep operational mid-term won't help against the 6k Russia can field and we are just prolonging the conflict and the inevitable outcome

A self-fulfilling prophecy in a way. Ukraine will eventually fall, or large portions of it, so to send aid to prevent that outcome is irrational and reactionary.

A second component might be that the amount of aid needed, both money and materiel, combined with the aid that will be needed to rebuild, is not worth the possible German/EU economic harm: "We have experience rebuilding our own East, and it's a sinkhole of cost." I really hope there isn't a "and they are Slavs" component and expect to be pilloried by Germans for even wondering.

Of course, the self-fulling prophecy danger is very true. If the "West" does not continue to aid Ukraine, and in greater amounts, they will fall.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Orthanc6 posted:

This is one of the reasons this war has to have a decisive end and can't just go on an indefinite "pause" like after 2014. Ukraine will have an extremely difficult time having any future economy if their only port left is Odessa, which can easily be blockaded by Russia if hostilities pop off again. They have to get back more of their coastal cities, their flag might be of the wheat fields but their coat of arms is an anchor for very good reason.

Trident, actually. I read that it originally was a symbol of Holy Trinity, and also a stylized falcon. I on the other hand see a swan :shrug:

(or an X-Wing)

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Trident, actually. I read that it originally was a symbol of Holy Trinity, and also a stylized falcon. I on the other hand see a swan :shrug:

(or an X-Wing)

My mistake, but not helped by the Trident also being a common nautical symbol. Regardless, they need their ports back and they'll need a navy to protect their shipping after this.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Oracle posted:

Given my experiences with Polish sailors, I imagine these guys are probably stupid skilled and live for this Pirates of the Caribbean poo poo. (And also drink an insane amount).
I was working pax control at an Alaskan airport when a bunch of Poles arrived for the commercial fishing. Before they hit passport/immigration, I had to explain they couldn't bring in a bottle of vodka they had brought. No problem. They just stood there and passed the unopened bottle around to each other until it was finished. "Is good?" Yeah, it's good, this way to customs you loving legends.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

the popes toes posted:

A second component might be that the amount of aid needed, both money and materiel, combined with the aid that will be needed to rebuild, is not worth the possible German/EU economic harm: "We have experience rebuilding our own East, and it's a sinkhole of cost." I really hope there isn't a "and they are Slavs" component and expect to be pilloried by Germans for even wondering.
Someone named "Marshall" is on the phone for Herr Scholz?

Ultimately the cost of standing up to tyranny is lower than the cost of appeasing it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

One thing we’re forgetting here is that Ukraine is fighting solo a diminished version of a former superpower that for a time the entirety of NATO plus the full might of the US military had serious doubts about defeating without the use of nuclear weapons.

The kind of material requirements now required by the Ukrainian army are probably equivalent to at least 50% or more of the current active duty US armed forces equipment and logistics. This is not a cheap war. It requires some massive financial investment on the part of the US.

I hate to say it but if we had an America at the level it was at during the Clinton or Bush administrations we might have way more money, energy and political will to really arm the Ukrainians. As things stand now it seems like this war is costly and politically controversial stateside. Especially with inflation and high gas prices keeping people from really becoming invested in backing Ukraine.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I mean people wonder why Russia is doing this now but it’s no coincidence they decided to do this during Biden’s admin. They did Crimea under Obama and probably figured on a similar response.

Even if that wasn’t the case they know it’s not exactly a govt with a strong mandate and in the 21st century isolationist republicans would be preferable

Like Biden sucks but I think he’s been ok on Ukraine and I appreciate him being honest about Putin

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Kraftwerk posted:

One thing we’re forgetting here is that Ukraine is fighting solo a diminished version of a former superpower that for a time the entirety of NATO plus the full might of the US military had serious doubts about defeating without the use of nuclear weapons.

The kind of material requirements now required by the Ukrainian army are probably equivalent to at least 50% or more of the current active duty US armed forces equipment and logistics. This is not a cheap war. It requires some massive financial investment on the part of the US.

I hate to say it but if we had an America at the level it was at during the Clinton or Bush administrations we might have way more money, energy and political will to really arm the Ukrainians. As things stand now it seems like this war is costly and politically controversial stateside. Especially with inflation and high gas prices keeping people from really becoming invested in backing Ukraine.

Unless the price of oil starts going down soon, the inflation fears in the West are going to start affecting how much those nations are willing to support Ukraine. Putin's big advantage is that he doesn't have to worry about votes to stay in power. A recession looks imminent due to the inability of the global market to fix supply chain and delivery issues and once that actually happens and people all over the world start losing their jobs, supporting Ukraine becomes much more politically risky.

Hopefully things on the ground can go in Ukraine's favor until then.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kraftwerk posted:

As things stand now it seems like this war is costly and politically controversial stateside. Especially with inflation and high gas prices keeping people from really becoming invested in backing Ukraine.

The war is not even a little bit controversial in the US. There is strong support even from most Republicans.

Despite Biden's desire to blame Putin for inflation, US voters are not linking the two at all. They see Ukraine as a separate thing they support, unrelated to inflation which they don't like. The GOP is certainly not going to try to link the two, since they are pointing at stimulus and domestic spending as the culprit.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Paladinus posted:

The most ironic thing about it is that there's a battalion in DNR who based their logo on one of the Metro factions.

Yeah it loving sucks. Fascists appropriating poo poo. Missed a big point of the book too, "oh this is about how war is good and a good use of human energy!" Literally all about how humans don't understand their world and waste all their resources with killing even as they're going extinct.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Yeah, the biggest threat to Ukraine might be a second Trump term in which he tries to extort Ukraine for further support. This is why I was hopeful that Germany would actually be a leader in Europe. Alas.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kraftwerk posted:

The 40B and lend-lease seems like should be a good start but the question is when all the good stuff coming? Ukraine needs hundreds of SAM, artillery and MLRS pieces ASAP and not when russia captures everything east of Dnipro, ideally.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kraftwerk posted:

lol what evidence do you have of this war being politically controversial stateside

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The thing I see in the US is that the public is already getting bored of war coverage and are moving onto other hot issues like gun control and abortion. The less central this is to public consciousness the easier it is for politicians to slowly ease off the tap when it arguably needs to be turned on even higher. I've seen commentators argue that you would expect that the total funding for this war to be at least equal to the war in Afghanistan before a hope for victory and we're kinda still really far off at this point.

Afghanistan/Iraq are roughly in the order of $2 trillion each
Using figures here
Total Aid to Ukraine: ~$70 billion

I don't believe its really an apples to apples comparison but this is orders of magnitude away at this point in scope.

I believe we'll see some more short term Russian success until the Ukrainians can rearm to NATO standard and get resupplied en mass, but that's probably some early next year stuff. But I can easily see political figures balking at the upfront cost if the economy falters.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

WarpedLichen posted:

The thing I see in the US is that the public is already getting bored of war coverage and are moving onto other hot issues like gun control and abortion. The less central this is to public consciousness the easier it is for politicians to slowly ease off the tap when it arguably needs to be turned on even higher. I've seen commentators argue that you would expect that the total funding for this war to be at least equal to the war in Afghanistan before a hope for victory and we're kinda still really far off at this point.

Using figures here

I don't believe its really an apples to apples comparison but this is orders of magnitude away at this point in scope.

I believe we'll see some more short term Russian success until the Ukrainians can rearm to NATO standard and get resupplied en mass, but that's probably some early next year stuff. But I can easily see political figures balking at the upfront cost if the economy falters.

Historically the US gives more weapons the less scrutiny there is on weapons transfers. Also worth noting that the public was bored of afghanistan within like 3 years. It went on for another 18 years

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

This is why I was hopeful that Germany would actually be a leader in Europe. Alas.
The last twenty or so years have been the rest of the EU and Europe/the West futilely hoping that Germany would actually step up and take up the role of being an active leader.

For the length of roughly one speech it seemed like it might finally happen.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nenonen posted:

(or an X-Wing)

I was always told it was a stylized version of the word воля

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, he was never going to have nukes. The Nazi nuclear program was basically derailed from the start because, ironically, they couldn't get their reactor to work well. They didn't achieve criticality till the very end of the war, which was four years after the Chicago Pile had gone Critical and two years after X-10 was regularly going critical daily. It was a loose knit project with little to no funding and little to no resources compared to the Manhattan project which was not only well funded, but also benefitted from a huge amount of talent that the Nazis specifically chased off for being Jews or practicing "Jewish Science". Another reason was a lot of up and coming Physics students were sent to the East or West front and killed/captured. The Allies did believe the Nazis could build one, but Operation Alsos proved that the Nazi were far behind the US program wise.

Reminder that the Nazi Physics groups basically rejected Einstein's pivotal work as "Jewish Science".

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-2-pro-nazi-nobelists-attacked-einstein-s-jewish-science-excerpt1/

This is totally off topic but "Nazis gonna get nukes" was always laughably false.

What's funny is Japan was quite a bit closer than Germany - although still quite a ways away - but that never comes up in fiction.

They took the idea a lot more seriously than Germany but were still not taking it Manhattan Project seriously and were slowed down by some false starts regarding enrichment processes. The also were hampered by all the usual things that screwed up most things Japan tried to do: lack of respect for civilian science and fierce inter-service rivalry meaning there were two different weapons programs that were ignoring useful civilian research and not sharing findings, and later in the war, strategic bombing and lack of access to natural resources.

I don't think they would have had a weapon before the war was over even if the US suffered more setbacks and the war dragged on longer, but if they somehow had unlimited time they definitely would have had one way before the Nazis.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

WarpedLichen posted:

Using figures here

There is no power or lobbying group in the USA, not corporations, not the NRA, nothing you can think of that is more powerful than the MIC. Ukraine is by far the greatest thing that has ever happened for them since.... God I don't know, I'd argue perhaps in generations given the increased demand across the world. This is even better for them than our desert folly.

Mere voter apathy (which we don't have, but perhaps maybe later this year) is not going to derail the Ukraine money train. You would need intense disapproval and strong anti-Ukraine sentiment from the voters for the politicians to notice.

The only thing that could conceivably stop this is probably Trump, and this thing should be wrapped up one way or the other by the end of 2024.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

What's funny is Japan was quite a bit closer than Germany - although still quite a ways away - but that never comes up in fiction.

They took the idea a lot more seriously than Germany but were still not taking it Manhattan Project seriously and were slowed down by some false starts regarding enrichment processes. The also were hampered by all the usual things that screwed up most things Japan tried to do: lack of respect for civilian science and fierce inter-service rivalry meaning there were two different weapons programs that were ignoring useful civilian research and not sharing findings, and later in the war, strategic bombing and lack of access to natural resources.

I don't think they would have had a weapon before the war was over even if the US suffered more setbacks and the war dragged on longer, but if they somehow had unlimited time they definitely would have had one way before the Nazis.

It seriously cannot be understated how many up and coming young physicists got slaughtered on the Eastern Front as infantry.

And yeah Japan had a more interesting take on Nuclear and may have gotten closer given their ability to overlook things the Germans were blinded by with anti-Semitism. The Japanese openly embraced the scientific advances that Germany threw out. For the most part the Japanese never got enough Uranium to even consider a reactor, though and were event behind the Germans in that regard. The Germans actually sent the Japanese a significant amount of Uranium at the end of the war, but the U-boat carrying it surrendered to the Americans.

Most of the major work the Japanese did was done with Cyclotrons. The Japanese also massively underestimated the United State's ability to harness nuclear science. Like many of the things they underestimated. The Japanese actually fully accepted that both nuclear energy and nuclear weapons were possible, but came to the conclusion that there was no way the US could harness it before the wars expected end. To that end the Navy focused on radar instead.

Oops.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 10, 2022

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Rigel posted:

There is no power or lobbying group in the USA, not corporations, not the NRA, nothing you can think of that is more powerful than the MIC. Ukraine is by far the greatest thing that has ever happened for them since.... God I don't know, I'd argue perhaps in generations given the increased demand across the world. This is even better for them than our desert folly.

Mere voter apathy (which we don't have, but perhaps maybe later this year) is not going to derail the Ukraine money train. You would need intense disapproval and strong anti-Ukraine sentiment from the voters for the politicians to notice.

The only thing that could conceivably stop this is probably Trump, and this thing should be wrapped up one way or the other by the end of 2024.

I don't think the MIC much cares about who wins the war, just that tensions are increased and conflict is ongoing.

Cynically, a Ukrainian rump state that receives aid with a highly militarized border is probably preferable than a victorious Ukraine.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

"This is an artillery war now...and in terms of artillery we are losing," Ukraine's deputy head of military intel Vadym Skibitsky ahead of June 15 meeting with NATO allies.
https://twitter.com/mattia_n/status/1535199991601451011?cxt=HHwWhsCy6cWQkM4qAAAA

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

the popes toes posted:

"This is an artillery war now...and in terms of artillery we are losing," Ukraine's deputy head of military intel Vadym Skibitsky ahead of June 15 meeting with NATO allies.
https://twitter.com/mattia_n/status/1535199991601451011?cxt=HHwWhsCy6cWQkM4qAAAA

While the West should do more to support Ukraine, this is not really a shocking analysis. Russia - and before it the Soviet Union - has a doctrine build around artillery and prepared itself for a conflict with either NATO or, to a lesser degree, China. Their artillery reserves are - just going by the numbers - the largest in the world and it was this numerical superiority in terms of kit that made a lot of analysts predict a quick Russian victory and it was their lack of manpower and staggeringly stupid planning/execution that allowed Ukraine to take them on.

In the current stage of the conflict the Russian battleplan is far easier and the geography plays into their hands as it's hard for Ukraine to place AA or artillery inside the salient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fatherboxx posted:

Do you seriously consider "a three month war" (that already caused thousands of civilian deaths) a minor event that shouldn't make the invader a pariah state?

Have all nations that started a war equivalent to or longer than three months which have caused the death equal or over four thousand civilians turned into "worldwide" pariahs?

DTurtle posted:

The last twenty or so years have been the rest of the EU and Europe/the West futilely hoping that Germany would actually step up and take up the role of being an active leader.

For the length of roughly one speech it seemed like it might finally happen.

The only people who have been hoping that Germany steps up and becomes the leader of Europe are the people who don't live in the periphery of the EU (which the Germans and Dutch lovingly called GIPSI), who haven't seen the material reality of what the Germans, Dutch and French did to us during the austerity days.

People being horrified at Germany thinking about the well being of Germans and their economy before anything else while at the same time wanting them to become proactive leaders haven't really paid attention to the last twenty years.