Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Barudak posted:

My company had some initiative where meetings would start at :05 instead instead of :00 and anyone who sets up meetings that way I mentally bin as a bootlicker

We actually did this for a while for a good reason: We're a UCaaS (no, not that one. Not that one either.) provider and a lot of our customers started meetings at :00 and it was creating a few weird edge cases or someshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm thinking we should maybe burn society to the ground and start from scratch.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Outrail posted:

Mother Nature's time tested method

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

goatface posted:

Lots of new hires on trimmed wages who don't know any better. Win win.

Obviously that's the plan.

When we're at record low unemployment and the workforce as a whole is getting increasingly restless and fed up, it's a glorious plan! We just need to stay the course a bit longer and those workers will come crawling back any day now!

Any day now! Yup! Any moment really!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Outrail posted:

:hmmyes:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
But like, not with humans. Monkeys were a terrible choice. Capybaras or sloths maybe.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
primates + no fur + a brain capable of coming up with bullshit unrelated to loving and eating

wtf

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

goatface posted:

It doesn't, just most of it is never properly attacked. Automated probing is everywhere.
I was at a conference Wednesday for government IT people and the CIO for the state said they get 1 billion of those hits every day. The population of the entire state is like 3 million :dogstare:

I actually just got a raise, since we're merging with another department and people who do the equivalent of my job over there get paid more. Then also in the email from the director she asked that some people didn't need a raise to be at the minimum level (and of course those people won't be getting a bump because lol government budgets) so to please be sensitive to the feelings of others and try not to discuss it. Since I'm a government employee my wages are posted publicly online. :cripes:

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Pyrtanis posted:

Before I got fully credentialed in Epic Cadence I would go hang out with the schedulers in the outpatient clinics to get a feel for what their workflow was... what I discovered when I got credentialed and could do builds was the clinic managers wanted things that actively made their scheduler's jobs needlessly more difficult and were actively resistant to compromise :sigh:

:negative:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Outrail posted:

But like, not with humans. Monkeys were a terrible choice. Capybaras or sloths maybe.

Capybaras emit good vibes, so that would be a good choice. Unbothered kings.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

goatface posted:

Lots of new hires on trimmed wages who don't know any better. Win win.

My team hired a fresh-out-of-college guy who I'm helping to train. He's energetic and extremely on the ball and wants to get involved in anything he can. This is great for me because I can schedule a meeting and bounce thoughts off him and he'll come back with solid suggestions or supplements to things I say. It's a good dynamic because the difference between a mid career corporate surfer and a new hire working his first job is enough that his optimism and belief he can change things breaks through my 15 years of seeing poo poo never change for the better now and again and I feel like maybe I'll fix the problem this time.

One thing I've learned is that he thinks our insurance is good and he's being compensated "pretty well." I told him how I used to pay $70 a month for my wife and myself to have no copays, no co-insurance and a $1000 deductible and it blew his mind. I know he came in near the bottom of the payscale for the job, which means he's making nearly nothing for a fairly demanding job (in a fully remote office job, so "nearly nothing" is still way above the median income in the US). The next generation of workers is coming into a reality I watched transform, so I feel like it's a requirement that I tell this guy things used to be better and corporate greed ruined it so he'll learn not to have company loyalty either.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every employer renegotiating their group rate since 2005 or thereabouts has been going to high deductible as the default and any company making it this far has largely avoided that renegotiation. This is the first real labor shortage since then to try and force anything back and its going to be real interesting as to what gives between the demand for care for fat and old/oncology as default treatment, medical student loan debt, and willingness to work for wages less than what it takes to get medical treatment.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You say interesting but I feel frustrating and very stupid is likely.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
*daydreams of 2005-2008 when his employer paid 100% of the premiums* We just did open enrollment last week. They were shopping around as Anthem was raising the rates by 20%. They ended up getting it down to a 4% increase in exchange for bumping up the deductibles on the plans by $1k each (now $2k/$3k), with rates for myself plus spouse going up $30/month.

The biggest hurdle for us though is when they change providers. My wife's been on Humira for over 15 years, but every time we change providers she gets denied and has to go through the prior authorization process before they'll fill the prescriptions. The name of that process is so dumb as well because we've switched providers so many times over the years that every insurance company we've been with has already authorized it at least once or twice.

My wife works in county government and they have only provided high deductible plans for years now. And the only pharmacies you can use are the mail order or Kroger. The premiums for union members are so much cheaper than non-union that people pass up advancement opportunities because the pay increase to move to management is offset by the insurance premiums.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zedprime posted:

Every employer renegotiating their group rate since 2005 or thereabouts has been going to high deductible as the default and any company making it this far has largely avoided that renegotiation. This is the first real labor shortage since then to try and force anything back and its going to be real interesting as to what gives between the demand for care for fat and old/oncology as default treatment, medical student loan debt, and willingness to work for wages less than what it takes to get medical treatment.

Speaking of going for "high deductibles", an interesting note from our new insurance - the new "high deductible" plan actually has a lower deductible than the regular one. It's baffling.

Oh, and that "we'll no longer pay 100% of short term disability, just 50%"? That 50% came out to something like 6 dollars a month. They're that goddamn cheap.

naem
May 29, 2011

the future is not looking bright

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

Spent four hours editing a video for training purposes that I was told to make Wednesday afternoon.

Asked my higher-ups and coworkers to review the video (ten minutes long) to determine if I miss anything. Remind them constantly from Thursday to Friday.

Friday afternoon comes around, they determine as a group that the video is not anything that they wanted, thanks anyway, but can you recreate it to our standards so that we can send it out this afternoon?

gently caress this place sometimes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

"Per my literal chain of reminder emails, no, I can't do that. Have a nice weekend!"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lazyfire posted:

One thing I've learned is that he thinks our insurance is good and he's being compensated "pretty well." I told him how I used to pay $70 a month for my wife and myself to have no copays, no co-insurance and a $1000 deductible and it blew his mind. I know he came in near the bottom of the payscale for the job, which means he's making nearly nothing for a fairly demanding job (in a fully remote office job, so "nearly nothing" is still way above the median income in the US). The next generation of workers is coming into a reality I watched transform, so I feel like it's a requirement that I tell this guy things used to be better and corporate greed ruined it so he'll learn not to have company loyalty either.

This isn't even all that new. I'm an old millennial and I've never, ever had anything other than high deductible plans.

My general plan is not to get sick, and when I do have problems I kick the can on getting them treated until I've got enough bundled together to exceed the deductible. Not the best plan but whelp.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

A MINIATURE LLAMA posted:

Spent four hours editing a video for training purposes that I was told to make Wednesday afternoon.

Asked my higher-ups and coworkers to review the video (ten minutes long) to determine if I miss anything. Remind them constantly from Thursday to Friday.

Friday afternoon comes around, they determine as a group that the video is not anything that they wanted, thanks anyway, but can you recreate it to our standards so that we can send it out this afternoon?

gently caress this place sometimes.

"failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

What's a deductible :canada:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cyrano4747 posted:

This isn't even all that new. I'm an old millennial and I've never, ever had anything other than high deductible plans.

My general plan is not to get sick, and when I do have problems I kick the can on getting them treated until I've got enough bundled together to exceed the deductible. Not the best plan but whelp.
I'm 36, so most of my jobs either 1) didn't offer insurance (pre Obamacare) or 2) expected me to pay for all my insurance and care. I just had three years in a union job that offered insane benefits that they gave up in the first contract put together after I started. I was so disgusted by the union backing down at a time we had all the leverage that I started looking for a new job and went to a company that has the same lovely insurance plan but wanted to pay me $40k more a year.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

evilpicard posted:

What's a deductible :canada:

Laughs in Australian

American healthcare is a nightmare

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Right now we have scary good insurance. And my god, is it a golden handcuff. I've had to put a number on how much more money I'd need to give it up and it's a lot. And it has certainly soured me on the idea of ever working for an American based company ever again.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

NPR Journalizard posted:

Laughs in Australian

American healthcare is a nightmare

There are so many things wrong with Britain, but the NHS is one of the very few things that makes me occasionally proud of where I’m from :britain:

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
Except Brits keep voting Tory and Australia's economy is collapsing, so by 2030 both countries will be some Mad Max hellscape where healthcare means killing someone and eating their liver.

And it will somehow still be better than the public option in America.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dongsturm posted:

Australia's economy is collapsing

And it will somehow still be better than the public option in America.

It's very possible that we can have a soft landing, but that would mean that we need to deflate the real estate bubble smoothly, and that just doesn't look like it's going to happen.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
The insurance here is good enough that I know a few couples where one spouse works here part-time for the insurance and the other spouse works a high paying job with poo poo benefits.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

no go on Quiznos posted:

The insurance here is good enough that I know a few couples where one spouse works here part-time for the insurance and the other spouse works a high paying job with poo poo benefits.

What backwater badly managed corporate-owned shithole country would let something like this happen?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Listen, if you don't have to competitively outbid other poorer people for the pleasure of not dying from simple health issues that have been solved for 100 years then Lenin has won.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Outrail posted:

What backwater badly managed corporate-owned shithole country would let something like this happen?

I agree, it's outrageous that someone can get health insurance for their whole family from one part time job! Won't someone PLEASE think of the shareholders!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

gently caress. I'm never returning to the US. It seems like even if you find a place with decent health insurance they can just downgrade it and even the better plans seem worse than the public option here.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

My former employer changed our dental plan without telling employees at the beginning of the year and cost me like $1000 on a couple crowns. Enrollment looked the same, same deductible and all that, but it was a new provider and my dentist was not in network and they covered waaaaaay less of the costs. Didn't even get my new insurance card until like mid March when my dentist was asking me why my bill was being rejected by my old insurance provider. Took me multiple days to get in contact with the corporate office and ask wtf happened to my plan. I quit last October and was on COBRA at the time so of course the union didn't care to help me with any of it despite being a dues paying member for over 5 years with no issues. Turns out they didn't even tell the current employees or the union about the switch either. And now it has been months since the new union contract was signed and everyone got raises but the raises haven't been reflected on anyone's paychecks. Idk what is going on with that drat union. The first contract renegotiation when I was there just seemed to be all give and no take on our part as health insurance costs went way up and they screwed over new hires by doubling the time until they receive full pay. In return, the union got...nothing as far as I could tell. We absolutely should have gone on strike.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I broke my foot in late April and ended up at the ER.

The bill might be $1600. It might be $5000. I have no idea. I think the ER closest to us is out of network, but the insurance is treating us like it's in? I guess I'll know when I get the bill.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Escape From Noise posted:

gently caress. I'm never returning to the US. It seems like even if you find a place with decent health insurance they can just downgrade it and even the better plans seem worse than the public option here.

Yeah. I do contract work in a very mobile situation, and the health benefits are very clearly explained. If a company pulls this sort of thing, they could expect significant turnover, with all the associated costs one might expect.

I'd be very shy about returning to an environment that had a largely static workforce, even if I personally were still on contract, because companies would presumably tune their abuse level to the assumption that most people won't/can't leave.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm just saying I've visited a dermatologist, a GP, and an ENT for different things in the last month and those visits and meds cost me less than a hundred bucks. The ghouls in the LDP keep trying to dismantle it but even though the old people keep voting for them, they also get mad if anyone fucks with their health insurance.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm just saying I've visited a dermatologist, a GP, and an ENT

https://i.imgur.com/MfoO8zL.gifv

I'll bet that was a long appointment.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

My body is falling apart. Make it stop!

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Agents are GO! posted:

So? Do you have a diagnosis?

Diagnosis? No. We have only just finished collecting... insurance information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

My body is falling apart. Make it stop!

Don't be hasty.

Karia posted:

So? Do you have a diagnosis?

Diagnosis? No. We have only just finished collecting... insurance information.

Now we need to discuss... *harumph* ... your family medical history.