Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
That's gorgeous. We've got a handful of evening suns planted out in the garden right now, but it's not really their time to shine yet.

I haven't tried beans with sunflowers, but we've done okra and beans in the past, with pumpkins at the base. Worked well although managing it so the whole thing didn't take over the garden was kind of a headache. Fun, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was the magic key I was looking for, thank you. This thing is going to have to be visible in the garden, because there is no exterior storage space at all, and the old one at least blended in a bit.

There’s a lot of plastic deck boxes in that range that seem to be what you’re after

I know Home Depot/etc sells a vertical one that you’re supposed to put up against a house or shed wall for putting rakes/shovels/etc inside.

My parents have a low rectangular one on their patio for storing chair/chaise cushions

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
And if you’re worried about salt in the air, I use food safe mineral oil on my more expensive tools to combat rust from all the salt and humidity I have. 3in1 on tools that aren’t touching edible plants. I still end up with surface rust on things that are in totes in the winter. It’s just easier to manage with the oil on the tools.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
For 3 sisters with okra or sunflowers, how long after you plant the tall crop do you plant the beans? I read that for corn you should wait until it’s at least 6” tall but my okra are mostly slow growers so they would be overtaken.

None of my sunflowers germinated at all (birds :argh:) but I might try again with a net over the top and then decide about adding cowpeas. My neighbors gave me 7 gallons of green beans so I am pretty good on those.

Volunteer sorghum is growing well! Thanks chickens!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Joburg posted:

For 3 sisters with okra or sunflowers, how long after you plant the tall crop do you plant the beans? I read that for corn you should wait until it’s at least 6” tall but my okra are mostly slow growers so they would be overtaken.

None of my sunflowers germinated at all (birds :argh:) but I might try again with a net over the top and then decide about adding cowpeas. My neighbors gave me 7 gallons of green beans so I am pretty good on those.

Volunteer sorghum is growing well! Thanks chickens!

I let the sunflowers get to about a foot first. Beans took a little while to germinate. I probably could have started them earlier.

The sunflowers I had to start inside though because chipmunks/birds kept stealing the seeds and smaller seedlings.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 9, 2022

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Sorghum is one of the best volunteers. Our song birds get me every now and then and we try to see how tall we can grow it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jhet posted:

And if you’re worried about salt in the air, I use food safe mineral oil on my more expensive tools to combat rust from all the salt and humidity I have. 3in1 on tools that aren’t touching edible plants. I still end up with surface rust on things that are in totes in the winter. It’s just easier to manage with the oil on the tools.
That's a great tip; thank you very much. My Felcos shall live!

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

FogHelmut posted:

I've got a net, I've got shiny things, and the owl that doesn't work. I've lost 2 tomatoes, 4 broccolis, and something ate all of the leaves off my peppers. I hope a crow gets stuck in the net and chokes.

My neighbor has one that seems to work. They have it up high like an owl hunts, about chimney level, but obvious to any squirrels.
Meanwhile, after having replanted my sunflowers 3 times, because of the squirrel influx, i think my 3 sisters is just going to be sister pumpkin this year :(

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's a great tip; thank you very much. My Felcos shall live!

You can find 16oz bottles at the pharmacy in the digestive support sections. They’re like 3-4$.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Something gnawed the bejeezus out of my impulse-bought mulberry vine overnight. Initially I thought it might've been moths. Do moths leaves white strands behind (I've only been a Denver native for a year and am not familiar with this city's varmints)?

If moths don't, I'm almost certain it's gotta be cat fur, and I happen to know a chatty neighbor who lets her cat out like the irresponsible owner she is.

I'm dying to show you guys a picture but my phone's a special kind of busted at the moment.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm 98% certain it was a loving cat.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
sounds like it’s cum tbh

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Maybe it's a rabbit. I have two terrors in my yard that ate 1/4 of my three sisters corn, only four of a whole packet of mammoth sunflower survived so far, and stripped this year's plum tree transplant of it's branches and leaf.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PokeJoe posted:

I'm gonna get one and presumably kill it

update: i got the sichuan peppercorn plant last weekend and put it in a pot today

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

New gardener in over his head here. I just bought a coppertone loquat tree - it’s currently the size of a small plant and in a pot. I’ve never cared for a fruiting plant before and I desperately want it to survive. I’m in Austin with a yard that gets maybe 4-5 hours direct sunlight.

Do I have to plant it immediately or can I keep it in its pot (and how long could I keep it in the pot?)? How much do I have to water it? Do I need fertilizer?

I’m hoping it keep it to “big shrub” size, maybe not a tree. Is that where pruning comes in?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can keep it in the pot for a long time if you want to. The growth will just stall and health with eventually decline, unless you remove the pot and prune the roots like is done with bonsai, and/or move it to a larger pot. This takes months or years, though. No rush.

Same with fertilizer. In moderation, it helps plants thrive, but there’s no rush.

With the weather Austin is getting right now, water it maybe every other day. It depends on what kind of dirt is in the pot and how much foliage that water has to support. If the dirt looks and feels dry just under the surface, water it. Eventually you’ll get a feel for how heavy the pot should be and just starting to lift it is a fast and reliable way to tell when it needs water.

Beware that ‘Coppertone’ is a half loquat, a hybrid with Rhaphiolepis indica. It’s a popular ornamental, but I don’t know that it produces fruit at all.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Beware that ‘Coppertone’ is a half loquat, a hybrid with Rhaphiolepis indica. It’s a popular ornamental, but I don’t know that it produces fruit at all.

Oh nooooo! I was assured by the nursery staff that it would fruit! The internet confirms your statement. I’ll call to see if I can return and exchange for the full loquat.

I went with the coppertone because they said it would fruit and would just be smaller than the full tree. If I had to go with the full loquat - do y’all know if it can be pruned to a shrub size while still yielding fruit?

And thanks for the watering tips, that was super helpful.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

super sweet cherry tomatoes getting excited

i have a couple of regular tomatoes adjacent but they aren't going quite as nuts yet

volunteer lambsquarter in a bucket from last year, enjoying some weed style LST as a joke, but maybe not? seems like you could totally scrog this poo poo out

Strawberry Nuggets, a fancy autoflower from Mephisto, day 53

Also the pink oysters are still going outside

The mushroom buckets have been awesome. I'll just go straight outside with them in the fall.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

giogadi posted:

I went with the coppertone because they said it would fruit and would just be smaller than the full tree. If I had to go with the full loquat - do y’all know if it can be pruned to a shrub size while still yielding fruit?

They don’t give as much fruit at small size as citrus do.

This guy’s yield/size is about as good as it gets, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAvcBYHqa4&t=13s

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
So the pachysandra that we inherited when we bought our house has brown spot 😫 I’m treating it, but I’m afraid it’s going to spread. I hate pachysandra.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Something killed my eggplants. It looks like something chewed through the stems but the leaves were still intact. What eats stems but not leaves?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

poverty goat posted:

Also the pink oysters are still going outside

The mushroom buckets have been awesome. I'll just go straight outside with them in the fall.

That particular pink hue sets off “do not eat” alarm bells in my head. I think it’s the same color as the mold that grows in beef tallow if I didn’t get all the meat particles out.

The person who first ate those mushrooms was braver than I am!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

captkirk posted:

Something killed my eggplants. It looks like something chewed through the stems but the leaves were still intact. What eats stems but not leaves?

How big are they? Cut worms will chew through small stems on seedlings. Otherwise you're looking at rabbits, voles, and sometimes chipmunks as possible creatures. Just depends on what's common in your area. They'll sometimes cut the stem to make it easier to get at the leaves, but they could have been frightened off before having their snack.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Joburg posted:

That particular pink hue sets off “do not eat” alarm bells in my head. I think it’s the same color as the mold that grows in beef tallow if I didn’t get all the meat particles out.

The person who first ate those mushrooms was braver than I am!

tbh I don't like them as much as the blues. The blues were "holy poo poo, pork" in every bite, and the pinks aren't bad, they just aren't impressive, except visually. and of course they lose their color when you cook them

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Welp, stopped the crows but can't stop the bugs. Tomatoes are gone. All the leaves eaten off. Same thing happened to the peppers. Cut worms? Something else?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

Welp, stopped the crows but can't stop the bugs. Tomatoes are gone. All the leaves eaten off. Same thing happened to the peppers. Cut worms? Something else?

Cut worms are right near ground level and don’t eat the leaves, but something destroyed that thing. I wait until my starts are about pencil thick on their stem before transplanting tomatoes now, and about half that for peppers.

With all the leaves gone ans the stems mostly intact I’d wager a guess at caterpillars of some sort? Or some beetle/larva?

Sorry about your starts, but this is why I’m glad there are still generic starts to pick up at the garden centers. Even if I don’t use them most years they’re there as a serviceable backup.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

We had issues with a bird picking off all our tomato leaves and leaving just the stem. Probably a naughty bird.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

FogHelmut posted:

I had this going on, and tried spraying it with critter juice (hot hotsauce in a mist sprayer with a few drops of dish soap). It seems to have stopped it from happening again.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

poverty goat posted:

super sweet cherry tomatoes getting excited

Did you mean this literally? If so, what's the variety named? If not, ignore dis.

In general I'm looking for ones that won't grow higher than 4'. I'm way open to someone recommending me some incredibly sweet grape/cherry tomatoes to grow that can fit that criteria.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Super sweet is the name of the cultivar

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Determinate cherry tomatoes are pretty common. Super sweet is great as is tiny tim. I've used the latter in hanging baskets to some success. Anything with bush in the name would probably be under 4' too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

we're a sweet 100s household.

In other news, speaking of starters, I've decided that I'm not going to trust the window sill next year. What kind of lights should I be buying if I want thick stocky tomato starters? Is there any keyword I can hunt for getting something that's cheaper by being more commercial and less consumer? I think I'll want enough lights to do maybe 6 standard trays at once.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommonShore posted:

In other news, speaking of starters, I've decided that I'm not going to trust the window sill next year. What kind of lights should I be buying if I want thick stocky tomato starters? Is there any keyword I can hunt for getting something that's cheaper by being more commercial and less consumer? I think I'll want enough lights to do maybe 6 standard trays at once.

As I see it, there are two good ways to go about this, and I’ve done both.

Get horticultural LED units on Aliexpress. “LM301H”, “LM301B”, and “LM561C” are three models of Samsung diode that make good search terms. These all have great efficiency per watt. LM301H is the high end, LM561C is the low end.

Or you can get white LED lamps intended for general illumination of industrial or commercial spaces. These are cheaper for the same output, and more ruggedly constructed, but if you run them for hours per day for years, they eventually cost you through their lower efficiency.

Starting plants only takes place for a few weeks each year, so you probably want cheap lamps. “High bay LED” is a good search term. You can get them for cheap on places like eBay or Amazon Warehouse because they get sold as surplus from one job or another and don’t have a robust secondary market. Companies aren’t interested in the odd few available, and individuals don’t have much use for commercial lighting at all. So they have to be priced low to sell.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Platystemon posted:

As I see it, there are two good ways to go about this, and I’ve done both.

Get horticultural LED units on Aliexpress. “LM301H”, “LM301B”, and “LM561C” are three models of Samsung diode that make good search terms. These all have great efficiency per watt. LM301H is the high end, LM561C is the low end.

Or you can get white LED lamps intended for general illumination of industrial or commercial spaces. These are cheaper for the same output, and more ruggedly constructed, but if you run them for hours per day for years, they eventually cost you through their lower efficiency.

Starting plants only takes place for a few weeks each year, so you probably want cheap lamps. “High bay LED” is a good search term. You can get them for cheap on places like eBay or Amazon Warehouse because they get sold as surplus from one job or another and don’t have a robust secondary market. Companies aren’t interested in the odd few available, and individuals don’t have much use for commercial lighting at all. So they have to be priced low to sell.

You're right: I'm looking for lower up-front cost. I don't feel any particular desire to spend $400 per panel on this kind of thing (the price I saw on my first glance yesterday) because I'm not planning to grow weed.

So if I get general light fixtures can I just put white LED tubes in them and build a frame that will hover a few inches over the tops of the plants? Or should I buy specialized grow bulbs? Will any white LED source work?

Am I looking to get something like this, and then pack as many of them as I can fit over the plants?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/commercial-electric-3-ft-4500-lumens-2-light-white-integrated-led-shop-light-with-power-cord/1001352401

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
tbh you could probably do 1-2 trays per two Barrina lights, and buy 1-2 6-8-packs of lights for $50-70 each pack (I haven’t looked at prices recently).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yes. Horticultural lighting these days has converged on the same white LEDs used for general illumination.

You just want a whole lot of white light. The light you linked is good for a strip maybe twenty centimetres wide.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Platystemon posted:

Yes. Horticultural lighting these days has converged on the same white LEDs used for general illumination.

You just want a whole lot of white light. The light you linked is good for a strip maybe twenty centimetres wide.

Ok Comboomer posted:

tbh you could probably do 1-2 trays per two Barrina lights, and buy 1-2 6-8-packs of lights for $50-70 each pack (I haven’t looked at prices recently).

Ok that's great to know, and it simplifies a lot for me. I have plenty of time until next year's seedlings start craving photons so I'll keep an eye out for sales and deals - there's an extremely good building materials salvage store I frequent and there's a good chance that if I'm patient I can get working fixtures for $2 each there and buy separate bulbs. I think I'm going to plan on finding 4-6 4-foot two-tube fixtures for building two seedling modules.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Nowadays it's good to get white+red. they're starting to add far red and UV to the white diodes as well, all to round out the spectrum, since it turns out plants make good use of those wavelengths as well (the white diodes are very efficient at making only light that's useful to our eyes). e: you're still getting the same color temp, but the whites, which themselves are a mix of 5000k and 3000k or so, will contain more blue to reach the desired color temp

I have 1 each of these, and can vouch that they are very legit
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det....3cf65722Pyhg9y
https://meijiuled.en.alibaba.com/pr...Grow_Light.html

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 13, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I just hung three of these on a standard wire shelving unit.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-93101226-Balanced-Spectrum/dp/B07NNR9DLX

That only gets you about three trays though. Six is a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Here and there you can find really good deals on amazon like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09G66W73D/

Buuuut ymmv with a super generic set. Maybe you get real diodes, maybe you get a power supply that fries the diodes in a year, maybe it'll work perfectly, maybe it'll fail in 6 months and there will be no support.