Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Here Come The Pretzels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Can we just go ahead and skip the contractually mandated rematch?

I think I saw all I needed to see here.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Was good to see live but lol at all the goobers who thought George won because he was throwing ineffectual bombs

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Pretty crazy to me that up until 2017 the only 4 belt era undisputed champions were Bernard Hopkins and Jermaine Taylor. Since 2017, even without getting into that bullshit debate about regular/franchise champions, there have been six (Crawford, Usyk, Taylor, Canelo, Charlo, Haney)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

There are 3 divisions where all belts are held by two guys (heavyweight, welterweight and junior featherweight), by the end of this month they will likely be joined by two other divisions (light heavyweight and bantamweight)

What I’m saying is that there’s the potential for more undisputed fights in the near future.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

major fights at 8am on a tuesday are my jam.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

great 13th round for inoue

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

that was a statement from inoue.

https://twitter.com/DailyBruise2/status/1534149862459166722

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The man is a killer

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don’t believe there are any promotional barriers to Inoue fighting Butler for the undisputed championship, and that’s a fight that could happen pretty quickly too.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

https://twitter.com/BronzeBomber/status/1533862379267756033?s=20&t=7BmsIjpRaETlP2eOeZKamg

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Daniel Dubois just knocked out undefeated WBA "regular" champion and Don King creation Trevor Bryan in the 4th round. The fight appeared to be held in a half full high school gym and had less production value than a 1990s USA Tuesday Night Fights show. They never even showed a replay of the KO. Honestly, Bryan looked like garbage so it's still hard to tell exactly how good Daniel Dubois is, but at least he's now permanently removed the debacle of the Manuel Charr/Christopher Lovejoy/Trevor Bryan WBA regular and interim (and "gold"?) title bloodline.

Dubois is now technically a mandatory to the Joshua/Usyk 2 winner, but it didn't sound like he was interested in immediately trying to force a fight with that eventual victor, and is more interested in fighting Dillian Whyte back in the UK. Whyte isn't rated by the WBA (inexplicably), so I'm not sure if that fight is even possible, but there are plenty of interesting opponents for Dubois should he need to fight a top 15 WBA guy (Michael Hunter, Robert Helenius, Hughie Fury, Martin Bakole...).

As far as Dubois' ceiling, he clearly wasn't as good as Joe Joyce, who's a legit top 5-7~ heavyweight right now, and I doubt he's as good as top prospects Jared Anderson or Bakhodir Jalolov, but he strikes me as a solid, top 10-15 level guy, definitely world class, somewhere in the grouping of Dillian Whyte/Joseph Parker/Andy Ruiz/Otto Wallin at his best. His career should get much more interesting starting now.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 12, 2022

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
That was a C-tier venue. Banquet tables and all, like they were expecting to watch a fight from some washed up big name rather than a "title" fight.

Dubois has kept active since the Joyce loss. I'm eager to see him against a step up in competition. He landed some legit bombs on Joyce but as we all know Joyce has a granite chin. Dubois-Wallin or Dubois-Ruiz would be fun.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

So the opposite of LLCoolJD's avatar happened last night.

Berlanga tried to bite Angulo's ear and shoulder. I'm just glad it was a failed attempt :wtf:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

balancedbias posted:

So the opposite of LLCoolJD's avatar happened last night.

Berlanga tried to bite Angulo's ear and shoulder. I'm just glad it was a failed attempt :wtf:

from what I read he was complaining that angulo was throwing elbows and trying to cut him but it was too late for me to watch.

I watched the undercard for the first couple of hours and the refs there were being pretty bad. particularly I remember one bout where the guy got tko'd by the doctor because it was round 2 and the ref was happy to just watch him get pummeled until he was passing out into the ropes. they walked that fighter out to the medical center quickly after that.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X8sK5p9es it was this one Vargas vs Linger

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 12, 2022

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

the paradigm shift posted:

from what I read he was complaining that angulo was throwing elbows and trying to cut him but it was too late for me to watch.

I watched the undercard for the first couple of hours and the refs there were being pretty bad. particularly I remember one bout where the guy got tko'd by the doctor because it was round 2 and the ref was happy to just watch him get pummeled until he was passing out into the ropes. they walked that fighter out to the medical center quickly after that.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X8sK5p9es it was this one Vargas vs Linger

That ref should never ref again. That makes me sick to my stomach

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I watched that fight too and it's incredible how boxing still allows that sort of incompetence.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The South African boxer who got confused and started punching air in a fight (and then collapsed from the brain bleed) died after his medically induced coma.

His opponent was so messed up from that that he's now contemplating suicide:
https://www.tmz.com/2022/06/10/boxer-siphesile-mntungwa-contemplated-suicide-after-simiso-buthelezi-fight/

I guess... let's not forget the consequences of the sport :(

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Rags to Liches posted:

I watched that fight too and it's incredible how boxing still allows that sort of incompetence.

I'm even fine with deaths in dangerous sports it happens but even half in the bag watching that when the ref let him go after how he was bouncing after that drop was obviously too far.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I hope butterbean fights Jake Paul and wins. Dude deserves to get paid.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The fight appeared to be held in a half full high school gym and had less production value than a 1990s USA Tuesday Night Fights show.

It was in fact a Jai Alai court.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/MMAJunkie/status/1536547968832225281?s=20&t=lyLVIRoi8xcAJ_Gs76XsxA

quote:

Mikuru just put out a video talking about this fight. Some points:

• His initial impression after meeting Mayweather was that he looked "weak". Says he's almost 80kg (176 lbs) right now so he's definitely bigger than Mayweather.
  • Doesn't think there's an MMA fighter in the world who could beat Mayweather using "boxing techniques".
  • Thus he plans on punching "mma style" rather than boxing since it would throw Mayweather off.
  • Wants to do better than McGregor and possibly call him out.
  • Since it's only three, 3 minute rounds, he's just gonna take Mayweather's punches, go all out, and try to knock him out. Says he's confident in his power, and also his chin since he's never been knocked out in his entire life.
  • Gonna exclusively train "punches" from now until the fight by sparring Japanese boxers and doing pad work, but doesn't plan on changing his style.
  • The match is at 70kg (154 lbs). Mikuru is currently around 78kg (172 lbs), so on fight night he'll probably be around 75, 76 kg (165, 167 lbs). Feels like this is a clear advantage.
  • Jokes about crowd funding $5 million (the penalty per kick) so he can kick him and "cause an incident" lol

MMA ANGLES BABY

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Honestly, pretty good promo for being the lamb to the slaughter. If Conor's fight had been 3 rounds, he could have survived and been able to talk about beating Floyd.
I'd never heard of Asakura before, and seems like a random guy they pulled out of the Rizin roster.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Mikuru is the Patricky Pitbull to Kai Asakura's Patricio, though Mikuru is probably better than Patricky

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Usyk vs Joshua 2 is finally set for August 20 in Saudi Arabia. If one of you guys reading the thread is secretly the son of a Saudi oil baron please PM me with some free tickets to the fight thanks in advance.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Hopefully Usyk wins again and we get Fury/Usyk for all the belts. Joshua winning would muddy things, and I don’t think Joshua could beat Fury. Fury basically can do everything better than Joshua; he just seems like a better big man. Usyk on the other hand has some distinct advantages, and Fury ironically has struggled with smaller heavyweights in the past (John McDermott, Steve Cunningham).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I don’t think Joshua could beat Fury

Me neither, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Fury put on another legacy building show.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Joyce is fighting Christian Hammer on July 2nd. The fight with Parker fell through. Shame.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Seems a stupid question for this thread but what is the best ali Vs inoki footage?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Win or lose tonight, let us remember Joe Smith, Jr.'s delicious KO of the arrogant Bernard Hopkins. Knocked him clean out of the ring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm3G1doFWi8

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ramirez knocked Nova out just absolutely clean holy poo poo

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Main Event coming up. Announcer doing the intros.

Absolutely picked the gently caress apart from the beginning this was brutal

Jiro fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 19, 2022

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That was just a mauling by Beterbiev

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

God drat Beterbiev is a loving wrecking ball.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I don't know much about boxing politics, how likely is a Bivol vs Beterbiev unification to occur?

Father time might catch up to Beterbiev sooner or later here, despite how good he looks now.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Heaviest hands in boxing.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Brut posted:

I don't know much about boxing politics, how likely is a Bivol vs Beterbiev unification to occur?

Father time might catch up to Beterbiev sooner or later here, despite how good he looks now.

Unfortunately he's already signed to fight UK contendor Anthony Yarde in (I believe) October so the most likely course of event is Beterbiev fighting Yarde and Bivol taking some interim fight in the fall. Then, assuming Canelo beats GGG in September, Bivol-Canelo in May next. If Bivol wins then Beterbiev-Canelo would be many orders bigger than it is now though.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Ideally Bivol fights Gilberto Ramirez next, who's the WBA's #1 contender. Ramirez is kind of the third guy out there at 175.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i just watched inoue v donaire 2 and goddamn the monster does have venomous fists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i find boxing to be difficult to follow cuz of the numerous belts etc and also not knowing which fight is or isn't worth the effort or time and randomly wound up on this channel and gotta say i like their content and makes me more intrigued to watch boxing in the future

https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficeHanchoBoxing/videos