Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Evolved Lancet and Evolved Laurel is the legit way to kill death. You know, the holiest artifacts out there that require you to have grasped an unknowable truth that allows you to see beyond the veil of reality.

Anything else is tricky. I've always WANTED to see if you could just eventually wear them down if you're theoretically infinitely sustainable, but I don't think you actually do that much single target damage in this game. I don't even know what the best things for that are. Critting daggers, I guess? Although you can't aim at death unless they're frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Annointed posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out how best to use the pick up everything Arcana with the healing gold frenzy arcana. I think they can make a great combo for farming but I have no idea exactly what else to pick.

Sarabande of Healing, turn the healing you get from gold into pain you inflict on enemies, assuming any can get close enough to be within the damage radius.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Grondoth posted:

Evolved Lancet and Evolved Laurel is the legit way to kill death. You know, the holiest artifacts out there that require you to have grasped an unknowable truth that allows you to see beyond the veil of reality.

Anything else is tricky. I've always WANTED to see if you could just eventually wear them down if you're theoretically infinitely sustainable, but I don't think you actually do that much single target damage in this game. I don't even know what the best things for that are. Critting daggers, I guess? Although you can't aim at death unless they're frozen.

The old strategies for killing death involved like wedging yourself into a corner where enemies couldn't get to you and only gaining like one or two levels, then trying to grab some XP crystals in the moments between the clock hitting 30:00 and death making contact and killing you. You gain like dozens of levels and aim to get laurel and clock lancet, then just kill him with normal weapons and keep him stunlocked with the lancet.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Steelion posted:

The Shroud makes Death *mostly* survivable, but surviving indefinitely requires some mix of armor and regen, either innate or via weapon hits.
Confirmed this on my last run. I'd also evolved the guns so I had a ton of revives. I would have to look but the revives must make you tougher somehow. I died fairly quickly the first time but by my last one I was almost keeping my health stable. Made it 33+ minutes which was great as I needed that 31+ achievement and I'm not trying to kill death when I was over level 140.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Jelly posted:

Confirmed this on my last run. I'd also evolved the guns so I had a ton of revives. I would have to look but the revives must make you tougher somehow. I died fairly quickly the first time but by my last one I was almost keeping my health stable. Made it 33+ minutes which was great as I needed that 31+ achievement and I'm not trying to kill death when I was over level 140.

If you took the relevant arcana, each revival buffs your stats pretty significantly.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

thecluckmeme posted:

I've tried both the Laurel and Lancet characters, as well as Pugnala, to try and kill red death on stage 5. I am getting shoved into lockers by minute 13. I usually go for Garlic or Bible immediately, for health regen or spacing, and attractorb + water so I can get that nice moat around me that heavy hitters have to go through while chiming in all the gems. At that point, I either speedrun the upgrades for the primary weapon of my character after killing Blue Death at 5 minutes, or I try to speedrun other passives for my other weapons so I can grab Duplicator, Tiragisu, and Crown at freebies. I generally die at the 15 minute part.

Granted, I've already beat this mode with Pugnala and didn't give a gently caress about killing red death. Now I want to. What's the best route between rings, red things, and other pickups while still counteracting the minibosses guarding the items and the random death spawns? I can't handle that many mini deaths and green warriors while trying to finesse Green and Pink death to be on screen while I take 3/4 of my healthbar in damage to grab a crucifix

Garlic's a nice convenience tool for speeding up the early-game a bit, but I don't usually use it when I'm going for Shroud/Corridor, because grabbing both the Lancet and the Laurel uses up two weapon slots - leaving you with only four slots for stuff that actually kills things. Using one of those slots on Garlic speeds up your early-game leveling a bit but means you can only have three weapons that do significant damage to enemies, which makes beefier waves a bit rough.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Vizuyos posted:

Garlic's a nice convenience tool for speeding up the early-game a bit, but I don't usually use it when I'm going for Shroud/Corridor, because grabbing both the Lancet and the Laurel uses up two weapon slots - leaving you with only four slots for stuff that actually kills things. Using one of those slots on Garlic speeds up your early-game leveling a bit but means you can only have three weapons that do significant damage to enemies, which makes beefier waves a bit rough.

Unless you go for a merger weapon first and fill the resulting open slot with one of the lancet/laurel later (since you probably want to grab the rings and arrows as passive items 7+ if possible)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Grondoth posted:

I did it with an invincible missingn roll. No idea how long it took but not more than 30 minutes.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

What were some of these places that people wedged themselves into? the best I've ever done on death was accidentally on the courtyard stage where I stood near some trees just before 30:00 and death got stuck on them. I was pounding away at the guy for like a solid half minute before another spawned in and also got stuck. I only made it to about 4 deaths on screen before they overwhelmed me.

I understand lancet/Laurel are preferred for their consistency and ease of use, but I'm curious about the other, non-lancet/laurel methods people have seen or tried

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

For people having problems getting to level 99 -- the most important thing to pickup is the passive attractorb item. With meta upgrades and at level 5 it will pick up nearly every gem on the screen when you kill stuff, and you will just absolutely bloom up in levels very quickly from it assuming you are killing stuff fast enough.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 12, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've just gotten in the habit of picking evolved Pentagram for all those level 99 challenges. It's more reliable than my old tactic of saving an attractorb pick-up until 29:30/45 as a back-up.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Attractorb is the most powerful item in the game and I only ever don't pick it now that the arcana that vacuums everything into every 2 minutes exists and even then you still want it.

Clock and Laurel upgrades with upgraded knifes gets you a kill at about 31:30 reliably. Without those you can survive basically forever with Christine with regular clock and laurel and max cooldown book and duration. Had no chance of killing death but quit out of a run at 90 minutes and hadn't died a single time.

CARRIERHASARRIVED posted:

What were some of these places that people wedged themselves into? the best I've ever done on death was accidentally on the courtyard stage where I stood near some trees just before 30:00 and death got stuck on them. I was pounding away at the guy for like a solid half minute before another spawned in and also got stuck. I only made it to about 4 deaths on screen before they overwhelmed me.

I understand lancet/Laurel are preferred for their consistency and ease of use, but I'm curious about the other, non-lancet/laurel methods people have seen or tried

Behind the table and chairs at the top of the library, its on the wiki and it was pretty reliable, but I think the previous patch fixed the projectile being inside Death thing that made it tick. The strat was turn off magnet ugprades, get level 2 on Clerici using the free level up at the start, if you don't get runetracer then reset. Wedge yourself in the tables where the runetracer bullets will get stuck and be bigger than you so you can't get hurt. You turned magnet off so you don't level up because you want to be level 2 when Death spawns at 30 minutes so he has minimum health. You run out and grab a red gem that's been sitting there since 3 minutes in, level up to 115+ and pick a certain set of items and wedge yourself back in and Death either can't reach you because he's stuck on the bookshelf on the side or he takes a bazillion runetracer bullets a second when he gets near you because they're ginormous and stuck. Death is basically impossible to kill (or at least, in a reasonable time of less than 10 hours) outside of upgraded lancet above level 2 without a weird trick like invincible missingno. Regular laurel with good cooldown is fine, but the health halving is the important bit.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Feldegast42 posted:

For people having problems getting to level 99 -- the most important thing to pickup is the passive attractorb item. With meta upgrades and at level 5 it will pick up nearly every gem on the screen when you kill stuff, and you will just absolutely bloom up in levels very quickly from it assuming you are killing stuff fast enough.

My personal record is level 227, which I got by fast-tracking early offense and putting Pentagram/Gorgeous Moon in my final slot at the 15 minute mark. With that you don't need the attractorb. I got the last 27 or 28 levels within the last minute of the run.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I just got Crimson Shroud for the first time but I didn't get Infinite Corridor, so I'm immortal but don't have the ability to kill Death. There are like twenty Deaths spawned and they still can't kill me. Have I softlocked? It would be a shame to quit because I got at least three unlockables during this run.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

pospysyl posted:

I just got Crimson Shroud for the first time but I didn't get Infinite Corridor, so I'm immortal but don't have the ability to kill Death. There are like twenty Deaths spawned and they still can't kill me. Have I softlocked? It would be a shame to quit because I got at least three unlockables during this run.

You still get achievements and unlocks if you quit out after 30 minutes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

pospysyl posted:

It has been me experience that choosing Quit still gives you the unlocks. But I'd hate to be responsible for you losing those because you listened to me, so take it with a grain of salt.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Well, I quit and still got my unlocks. Thanks everyone! At 54 survival minutes my stats are going to be a little skewed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

pospysyl posted:

DO NOT exit by xing out of the screen. Esc and quit will get you your unlocks though.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Don't you want to kill death for those sweet sweet eggs?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Don't you want to kill death for those sweet sweet eggs?

sure, but if your options are "wait for hours and potentially crash the game trying kill Death" and "quit out early, keep your unlocks, and miss out on 5 eggs," it's good to know that option is there

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Five eggs is like five percent of an extra projectile. Big whoop.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just got my first White Death on Stage 5. Thousands Edge seems mandatory before you get the 15 minute mark, then snapping up all the items. I was fully upgraded at 27:00 because I left a chest around the middle of the map EXPLICITLY so I know I had a chest to evolve the lancet.

It took all 3 revives just to survive the onslaught of smaller red deaths

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
No thoughts, only eggs, only big number

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

thecluckmeme posted:

Just got my first White Death on Stage 5. Thousands Edge seems mandatory before you get the 15 minute mark, then snapping up all the items. I was fully upgraded at 27:00 because I left a chest around the middle of the map EXPLICITLY so I know I had a chest to evolve the lancet.

It took all 3 revives just to survive the onslaught of smaller red deaths

I made it to White Death using Smith. I was using all three union weapons, as well as the Laurel, Lancet, and I forget what the sixth was (maybe the wand?). The damage reduction effect of the laurel and health recovery from the whip kept me going.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Smith is hilarious, i got to -95% cooldown with him once

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Wait, is white death at stage 5 important for something?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Steelion posted:

Smith is hilarious, i got to -95% cooldown with him once

Cooldown reduction is, sadly, hard capped at 90%. Which is too bad, because Missingno can start with cooldowns of -135% and the like. Though the real comedy with Missingo is when you have Area of 200+%.

Grondoth posted:

Wait, is white death at stage 5 important for something?

A ton of smaller enemies swarm you at the end of Stage 5, making survival much harder, similar to Gallo's Tower.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

EclecticTastes posted:

Cooldown reduction is, sadly, hard capped at 90%. Which is too bad, because Missingno can start with cooldowns of -135% and the like. Though the real comedy with Missingo is when you have Area of 200+%.

I had Cooldown -80something and Area -98% on him, which meant he was constantly making GBS threads out near-invisible projectiles. Everything looked like it was dying for no reason just from being vaguely in his general vicinity.

Anyway, I'm having trouble getting an infinite extra time gold rush farm going on in Map 5. I took Crimson Shroud, plus Thunder Loop, Phieraggi, La Borra, NO FUTURE and Death Sickle, with Torrona's Box/Empty Tome/Stone Mask/Armour/Attractorb/Candelabador as passives, picking up all stage items. Arcanas were Disco of Gold, Awake and Iron Blue Will. But I kept dropping my Gold Rush. I didn't use up any of my Awake revives, they were just for putting extra beams on Phieraggi.

Should I drop NO FUTURE/Armour for something else (but it does so much DPS!)? Sub out IBW for Sarabande? Drop La Borra? Something else? Where am I going wrong?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Couple questions - Who is Smith I've seen mentioned recently?

The last few times I've got to red death I reach a stalemate (by freezing him and running away?) and then white death just came for me. What triggers that, because it sounds like some people don't get to white death and get stuck in a loop with red death?

Is it possible to get missingno anymore?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Couple questions - Who is Smith I've seen mentioned recently?

Is it possible to get missingno anymore?

You get missingno by editing your save file (there are a million guides to it online). Smith is the new secret, named for Smith the horse from Ultima, and unlocked by typing spam on the main menu, character select screen, level select screen, and then typing humbug during the level, all within thirty seconds (which is a reference to how you access the cheat menu in Ultima VI).

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Question and a comment:

Question:
What's up with the curse upgrade (purchased)?
Why am I wanting to make my game more difficult? It seems to be highly recommended to upgrade but I don't see any option to toggle it so you are forced to use it?

Comment:
Because said prior upgrade hosed up my game difficulty, I refunded my upgrades.
There is some kind of bug because I had like 7000 and after doing that I had over 100K after buying everything back, so unless one level of curse costs 107K or whatever (it doesn't), I made an assload of money from refunding my skills. There is absolutely no way I could have misinterpreted this.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

1. The order you buy the upgrades in matters, as each upgrade makes each other upgrade more expensive

2. They recently changed the prices of a bunch of them so refunding and rebuying in the same order would still net you a gold gain.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jelly posted:

Question and a comment:

Question:
What's up with the curse upgrade (purchased)?
Why am I wanting to make my game more difficult? It seems to be highly recommended to upgrade but I don't see any option to toggle it so you are forced to use it?

curse bumps up the enemy counts, but as long as you're killing them fast enough all this means you get more XP for faster levelling. also for people who have maxed out upgrades and such and are wanting to bump up the difficulty/shoot for higher scores.

for starting out you can safely ignore it.

however you're right that it SHOULD be a toggle

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Upgrade order doesn't matter anymore since the recent patch. That's why you got a bunch of gold back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBX posted:

Upgrade order doesn't matter anymore since the recent patch. That's why you got a bunch of gold back.

Oh, is that what they did? That's pretty reasonable, it wasn't really a mechanic so much as a "click things in this very specific order" test

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The upgrade prices still scale, but the difference is much less. Presumably because there's a new money sink in the form of the Merchant.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

RBX posted:

This indeed appears to be the case! While the prices do scale up it is no longer a percentage of the base cost but rather a flat additive amount that increases with total number of upgrades purchased*. It now takes 213,220 gold for everything and you can do it any order.

*the amount added per upgrade is a very strange sequence: 22, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 4, 6, 5, 7, 6, 8, 8, 10, 11

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

CzarChasm posted:

The last few times I've got to red death I reach a stalemate (by freezing him and running away?) and then white death just came for me. What triggers that, because it sounds like some people don't get to white death and get stuck in a loop with red death?

If White Death is showing up, that means you successfully killed Red Death with the Infinite Corridor. Not picking up the Infinite Corridor prevents White Death from spawning even if you manage to kill Red Death, which is how people get stuck in 'infinite' runs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

EclecticTastes posted:

I screenshot my invincible -100%% movement missingno earlier. In the plant garden :negative:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I tried the build of healing, gold rush and auto collect and it was a blast on dairy plant.

I have no idea how to make it work in The Bone Zone, but it could possibly make it rain gold forever. And break my mind in terms of having nonstop pretty colors.