Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

Wait, Netherlands and Denmark being huge racists and willing to let people die before getting them in their country I get, but why Sweden? Are they aware that military win is not enough but also reconstruction afterwards? If Ukraine get candidate status, Sweden could get into the rebuild gravy train along other euro countries.

Part of the reason why I find this to be thinly sourced, right there. Sweden was a major proponent of inviting Turkey into the club, and they’re order of magnitude more supportive of Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Other than being huge racists or whatever, Denmarks government is mainly concerned with Ukraine not living up to the usual requirements for candidacy.
Machine translated because I'm tired. Jeppe Kofoed is Denmarks foreign minister.
https://avisendanmark.dk/artikel/eu-kommissionen-overvejer-ukraines-%C3%B8nske-om-medlemskab

quote:

At the same time, Jeppe Kofod proposes that Ukraine must implement reforms in order to obtain candidate status.

- We are currently awaiting the Commission's opinion on the extent to which Ukraine meets the criteria needed to proceed with the process.

- From the Danish side, we are fully focused on helping Ukraine with the reforms needed to achieve candidate status and move closer to the EU. Ukraine belongs to the European family, says Jeppe Kofod.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Wait, Netherlands and Denmark being huge racists and willing to let people die before getting them in their country I get, but why Sweden? Are they aware that military win is not enough but also reconstruction afterwards? If Ukraine get candidate status, Sweden could get into the rebuild gravy train along other euro countries.

We (Denmark) pretty much opened our doors fully for Ukrainian refugees and support for Ukraine is extremely popular, so this is a puzzling piece of news. There hasn't been much public debate on this and I highly doubt the government would pick this fight even they were skeptical of granting candidate status for Ukraine. It's very strange, and I'm not sure it is true. If it is true - the government will likely have to backpedal as it could cost them at the election which is could come any day as they've been threatened with a vote of no confidence over being quite close to establishing refugee camps in Rwanda (where non-European refugees would be sent).

I'm really quite baffled by this news. The head civil servant is extremely pro-Ukraine, to the extent that the ambassador thanked her personally, which is awkward as civil servants are supposed to be apolitical - the population is polling some of the most pro-Ukraine, anti-Russia, pro-NATO numbers in Europe (higher than even Poland on some questions). Denmark is also historically known for championing EU expansion and one of our former Foreign Ministers made the inclusion of former Warsaw Pact members in the EU and NATO his personal quest. The only exception is in regards to Turkey.

I would expect resistance from Hungary, Netherlands, Austria - but not Denmark. Very strange.

Edit: Ah, the stickler for rules position. I think that should not be interpreted as resistance or a veto. It's just the default. Denmark won't block this over fine print. But we'll likely make some kind of requirement that fast-tracked candidacy should be predicated on reforms being implemented later.

PederP fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 13, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SlowBloke posted:

It's a nice thought, but Ukraine is unfit to join EU at the moment. For one because there is an invading army in the country which makes open borders, trade etc. complicated. Not everything is about racism, you know.

Also we made the mistake of letting Hungary, Poland, Denmark, Britain etc. in, we have to be more careful in the selection process.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

We're reading Twitter tea leaves basically, but that list is somewhat surprising to me too. The other 'realpolitik' reason for current EU members rejecting Ukraine that I've seen referenced from the technocrats is that it would swing the power balance within the EU. Ukraine is a populous country and due to certain EU mechanisms this would diminish the power of Germany, France and the other usual suspects. Not sure how important those considerations are in this situation / in the short term, since the most obvious goal is to signal to Russia that Europe's security structure is changing beyond Russia's control :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

It's a nice thought, but Ukraine is unfit to join EU at the moment. For one because there is an invading army in the country which makes open borders, trade etc. complicated. Not everything is about racism, you know.

Also we made the mistake of letting Hungary, Poland, Denmark, Britain etc. in, we have to be more careful in the selection process.

Candidate status doesn't mean poo poo though.Turkey's been a candidate since like '99. It would be a very symbolic thing at this point and blocking it seems dumb.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m looking into that thread, and it does appear to be somewhat thin on sources. A few brief, vacuous “country says” statements.

Mette Fredericksen is horrible but I find it difficult to believe she's against UA getting candidate status.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Candidate status doesn't mean poo poo though.Turkey's been a candidate since like '99. It would be a very symbolic thing at this point and blocking it seems dumb.

That is precisely why it shouldn't be done. gently caress dumb symbolic candidacy for countries that are not fit for membership. What Ukraine needs is monetary and material support, not some PDF diploma that they can print and hang on their wall.

EU just removed import tariffs for Ukrainian companies, that alone is more meaningful than any candidate membership.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

That is precisely why it shouldn't be done. gently caress dumb symbolic candidacy for countries that are not fit for membership. What Ukraine needs is monetary and material support, not some PDF diploma that they can print and hang on their wall.

EU just removed import tariffs for Ukrainian companies, that alone is more meaningful than any candidate membership.

Legally speaking, candidacy is a privileged status with direct access to EU funding, specifically for implementing various reforms towards accession. That’s the entirety reasoning behind that status requiring a lengthy process, with Turkey being basically the sole mistake of it, and just arguably so, with several conflicting factors behind it.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 13, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

Well obviously tanks and artillery should be the priority but that's going to happen (not happen) regardless of this.

This shows some sort of solidarity and acceptance as part of the european community and on a more direct path to membership. If the weapon shipments never materialize and we're forced into Munich-ing the south-east, that's at least some sort of consolation prize.

Plus as cinci says, this will opens up some funding possibilities. The country doesn't get any voting rights or become a member until all criteria are fulfilled anyway so "it's not quite ready" doesn't have to be a showstopper, under the circumstances.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Over the last few days it would seem Russia is ever so slightly shifting their focus off of seven donuts. There's been a few counter offensives in the North and South which Ukraine has had minor successes in. Now I'm not sure of Ukraine which of the next two things it is are they shifting focus because they're losing or shifting focus because they're winning and that's hard to tell. they had taken the city and then now have been locked in a week-long siege. That's not usually a good thing for the offensive. I mean the false route must have caused major issues in Russia's forces at the siege whether that's with morale or actual battlefield wounds.

If the Russian army is unable to break the defense I ponder their next to move. I mean it'll probably start with lots and lots of artillery being dumped everywhere and Air raid sirens all over the loving place but after that what's the next move? They have a lot of river to cross over the next month or so and that's proven to be deadly for the Russian army of the past and the present. It's dangerous for any army. Doing so with a very motivated defender is an extremely casualty rich environment with a majority of people taking some wounds in the process whether that's broken finger broken arm broken leg shot whatever or you know just taking a nasty blow to The Head or something.

Russia also has their most expert units like the Wagner groups "Adolf Hitler Brigade" (the last part is a joke) among others and those units we're definitely affected by the artillery barrage that Ukraine did when the Russians entered the town. So you just units are going to be replaced by more conscripts with less combat experience and in this we may see a real decisive victory. The decisive victory we've been dreaming on since February 25th. Now who knows what the ammo shortages will do and how quickly they will be remedied. If we see a fast emergency Berlin airlift style drop of ammunition and NATO weaponry the fight will continue on.

And while this is going on Ukraine is fortifying its defensive capabilities in and around the area currently in combat. Now as it's been posted a bit, you crane is starting to feel the effects of long War which is ammo shortages artillery deficits and the likes. The longer that goes on without clear cut supply chain increases the worst things will get.

Now in some cases the Russian military may make the right calls. what they may be doing is cycling units in and out of the combat zone to keep morale up and also create a more seasoned army which would help the at-large offensive. Now are they actually doing this that is to be determined.

https://t.me/lumsrc/1786

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/13-june-russian-forces-conducted-assault-actions-in-sieverodonetsk

Russian forces bringing more reinforcements at Kryvyi Rih direction, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the evening report
https://t.me/lumsrc/1789

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Over the last few days it would seem Russia is ever so slightly shifting their focus off of seven donuts.
Southern Donetsk? I don't normally hurrr typos but I couldn't figure out what you meant and I just got lost.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Excellent analysis, WAR CRIME GIGOLO. Time is ticking for the Russian war machine - I give them another month maximum before the influx of new material and recruits from the Ukrainian side puts further advancement to a permanent halt. Any last push will have to start ASAP. Or will Putin trench in at the current battle lines and sue for peace?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
SECDEF comments from today (most of the comments were about stance in the Pacific/Asia, given that he was visiting Thailand)

quote:

Q: Thanks, sir.

Ukraine appears to be increasingly outgunned and outmanned in the Donbas. With the U.S., is the objective still to help Ukraine win militarily and to weaken Russia militarily?

And then head of the contact group, Ukraine's asked for a thousand more howitzers, 300 MLRS. What's the U.S. willing to provide at this point militarily?

SEC. AUSTIN: Well, first of all, the U.S. is willing to provide everything and -- and to help Ukraine be successful, mindful of the fact that we have our own readiness to -- to keep in mind, and -- and -- but not only that; we have partners from around the globe that are willing to help Ukraine in meaningful ways. We've seen -- you know, we -- we've contributed a substantial number of howitzers and a significant amount of 155 ammunition already, along with so many other things. But other nations have contributed 155 howitzers, as well.

And so we'll continue to work to get as much as we can there as fast as we can in order to -- to help them be successful. And our focus is on making sure that we -- we help them -- or we -- we give them what's needed to protect their sovereign territory, which is where we started and where we still are, so next question.

STAFF: We've got time for another one. Moshe from NBC?

Q: Okay, thank you so much for joining us.

Recently, French President Macron made remarks saying not to humiliate Putin for the sake of diplomacy. I was just wondering what your response to that was. Do you agree with that? And to what extent is that part of the U.S. objective? And then lastly, are you concerned at all with divisions with allies and partners in the West with how to continue supporting Ukraine going forward?

SEC. AUSTIN: Well, I -- I certainly don't want to comment on President Macron's statement, so I'll leave that to President Macron to either clarify or amplify whatever statements he's made in the past.

What we're focused on, as you know, is -- is what we've said all along, and that is helping Ukraine defend its sovereign territory, and it -- as you watch this fight evolve, you know, I think the world has been inspired by the -- by the tenacity, you know, the -- the will of the Ukrainian people to -- to resist and to a much greater power, a much more capable power, and -- and to be effective in what they were doing. They've been effective because, number one, they had the training that we and the U.K. and Canada has been providing them since 2014, plus the security assistance that we poured into -- into Ukraine early on.

And so we'll stay focused on -- on doing, you know, what -- what we believe we need to do to help Ukraine get what it needs to defend its -- its sovereignty. And again, you know, in terms of what things look like in the future and the -- and -- and how things evolve and how things are settled, I think the -- the -- the lead voice in that -- in that effort will be President Zelensky and the Ukrainian people, not the United States of America, so -- Okay.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...ngkok-thailand/

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Rust Martialis posted:

Mette Fredericksen is horrible but I find it difficult to believe she's against UA getting candidate status.

She's been critical of the size of the EU bureaucracy and its legal areas of control so while she's pro-EU she wants a smaller version of it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Southern Donetsk? I don't normally hurrr typos but I couldn't figure out what you meant and I just got lost.

Sieverodonetsk.

Google voice to text absolutely hates ukrianian/Russian city names. I fixed all the "you cranes" but missed that one.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Calibanibal posted:

Or will Putin trench in at the current battle lines and sue for peace?

This keeps coming up as a viable path to victory (or something to be called a victory at least) for Russia but it feels off to me. Is anyone in Putin's inner circle willing and emotionally capable of saying "Welp we tried, this is the best we can do for now"?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

DarklyDreaming posted:

This keeps coming up as a viable path to victory (or something to be called a victory at least) for Russia but it feels off to me. Is anyone in Putin's inner circle willing and emotionally capable of saying "Welp we tried, this is the best we can do for now"?

I think Russia failing to take Odessa as of yet makes this path unviable. While the port can be heavily invested into by the Russian Navy it still is a port. Also the Ukrainian military being within arty range of Kherson makes this untenable. I mean digging in is great and all but without a Minsk 3 it's not going to make sense.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ukraine's not going to stop fighting, regardless.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

DarklyDreaming posted:

I was expecting this to happen once the Russians had full control over Sievierodonetsk (Seven Donuts, lol). Full control of that city would allow the Russian brass to say ‘mission accomplished, we eliminated the nazis, helped the ethnic Russians who needed it, and liberated our occupied providences in the Donbas! Good job everyone.’ Sievierodonetsk is also a geographically good place to partition the country.

Taking Sievierodonetsk thus far has been incredibly bloody and will likely to be incredibly bloody for a while more. It will probably be one of the most brutal battles in the entire war. Not much information is trickling out of there as of today, but once it is in the rear view mirror, we’ll probably be able to see in detail how insane the whole thing was.

I also suspect that part of the reason the Russians aren’t letting go of the territory just north of Kharkiv is so they can use it for a bargaining chip if the peace talks come.

I am just some guy whose credentials are playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms as a child, so I probably don’t know what I am talking about.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

jaete posted:

A few days ago someone else was saying Ukraine has about 150 of those NATO howitzers now, which helps a little bit I guess, though it's still far from the 1000 they are saying they need.

USA has promised massive amounts of aid on paper ($40 billion and lend-lease and whatnot) but I guess not much of that has happened as of yet. I don't think they've definitively said anything like "yeah we'll give you 1000 M777's" or anything; so, could be a whole bunch of stuff coming soon, but on the other hand, who knows

They've just approved the MLRS systems though so those will be coming but it will take time before that happens in numbers greater than the initial 4

It appears the transfers are happening about as quickly as they can train up the crews for them

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Look, I'm not a Russian apologist but this guy was a person with hopes and dreams. Apparently he tried hard to excel at tank. I wish we weren't joking about his death. :(

Lots of young guys dying because of old guys decisions.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

celewign posted:

Look, I'm not a Russian apologist but this guy was a person with hopes and dreams. Apparently he tried hard to excel at tank. I wish we weren't joking about his death. :(

Everybody has hopes and dreams. I'm not sure "tank ace fighting to annex neighboring country because ethno-nationalism and empire" really leaves one in a particularly pitiable place when you eventually get Whittmann'd.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

celewign posted:

Lol

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Chill Monster posted:

I was expecting this to happen once the Russians had full control over Sievierodonetsk (Seven Donuts, lol).

They ordered a dozen but couldn't finish them off

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

celewign posted:

My general attitude is gently caress Russia and gently caress Putin and I hope they get the poo poo kicked out of them, but I also think the thread is pretty bloodthirsty at times.

This guy probably had it coming. Even if not, he was a part of an invading army, and that army should be stopped, which means killing its soldiers, tragic though that sometimes must be. Celebrating Russian defeats is good because the defeat of Russia in the war is for the good. But I also wish we weren’t joking about his death.

Edit: not expecting many posters on somethingawful.com to agree with me, and, whatever, that’s fine. I just want to express solidarity with that one person who’s sad about the situation.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 14, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Heithinn Grasida posted:

My general attitude is gently caress Russia and gently caress Putin and I hope they get the poo poo kicked out of them, but I also think the thread is pretty bloodthirsty at times.

This guy probably had it coming. Even if not, he was a part of an invading army, and that army should be stopped, which means killing its soldiers, tragic though that sometimes must be. Celebrating Russian defeats is good because the defeat of Russia in the war is for the good. But I also wish we weren’t joking about his death.

I don't really mind joking about the deaths of Russian soldiers when those same soldiers are probably joking about all the Ukrainian civilians they have raped and murdered.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Edit: not expecting many posters on somethingawful.com to agree with me, and, whatever, that’s fine. I just want to express solidarity with that one person who’s sad about the situation.

50,000 dead citizens in Mariupol alone cry out for vengeance at this point. And this while we have vatniks still killing, raping, and murdering ukrainian civilians. Everyone has a choice, even if they think they don't have one. And since their choice is to be rapists and murderers, they can all go die or be maimed. They invaded a peaceful neighbor because that monkey in the kremlin wanted to pull a land grab. This is merely the consequences of these actions.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

zone posted:

50,000 dead citizens in Mariupol alone cry out for vengeance at this point. And this while we have vatniks still killing, raping, and murdering ukrainian civilians. Everyone has a choice, even if they think they don't have one. And since their choice is to be rapists and murderers, they can all go die or be maimed. They invaded a peaceful neighbor because that monkey in the kremlin wanted to pull a land grab. This is merely the consequences of these actions.

This is really a gross attitude to have, especially without self reflection.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

A big flaming stink posted:

With all due respect, what's more gross, going door to door to shoot people because you think they might be associated with the Ukrainian military, kidnapping a couple million people and sending them to loving Siberia, and razing towns to the ground because they dared to be in your way during your attempt at a land grab? or saying that the ones involved in this bullshit should get what's coming to them eh?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

zone posted:

The only way to survive is…

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This is me pressing the button that blows up russian invaders in various ironic ways :f5:

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Won't someone think of the poor Russian fascists, they're only there to commit some light genocide and other war crimes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I've reflected in it and it's absolutely true

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

zone posted:

With all due respect, what's more gross, going door to door to shoot people because you think they might be associated with the Ukrainian military, kidnapping a couple million people and sending them to loving Siberia, and razing towns to the ground because they dared to be in your way during your attempt at a land grab? or saying that the ones involved in this bullshit should get what's coming to them eh?

yes individuals engaging in war crimes are worse than those fantasizing about others suffering, that is trivially obvious. it still does not change that immersing yourself into fantasies of brutal violence is hosed

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/CITeam_en/status/1529780946509209603
huh, another commander? I wonder why Dvornikov got sacked, then? probably because they haven't captured Luhansk fully yet, maybe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yes individuals engaging in war crimes are worse than those fantasizing about others suffering, that is trivially obvious. it still does not change that immersing yourself into fantasies of brutal violence is hosed

In case you haven't noticed, brutal violence is ongoing, and brutal violence is the only way it will stop.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

My brother in christ, people who go fight wars should be prepared to be killed. That's kind of what happens as a result of putting your life at risk. If they didn't want to die, they could have done n number of things to get themselves away from the war or invalided out. If you choose to commit war crimes, then someone else is perfectly justified to put a bullet in you in exchange, or hang you after a trial if necessary. That said, Ukraine doesn't have the death penalty for a couple decades now, so any one of them that gets caught can either be prisoner swapped or help rebuild the country after the rest of them get thrown out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

some :decorum: for the invading scum please