Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

FishBulbia posted:

This is nothing about rehabilitating what they're doing, it's about the morality celebrating people suffering when you're watching the war like a sports match. That's what people are arguing about.

I also don't think it's that much of a hot take to suggest that the people doing most of the dying in war are not policy makers.

Telling people they shouldn't celebrate (or in this case mildly joke about) the death of soldiers taking part in an invasion/genocide (because those soldiers might just be regular clean soldiers, not the dirty warcriming soldiers) is indeed a necessary part of rehabilitation. In what way would it not be?

Nobody here is attempting to claim regular soldiers are policy makers, but I'm pretty sure EVERYONE is entitled to make fun of soldiers taking part in an invasion and genocide even if they themselves are not currently shooting or being shot at by the fascists. Even without explicit evidence that this particular elite tank ace did any special war crimes.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Warbadger posted:

Telling people they shouldn't celebrate (or in this case joke about) the death of soldiers taking part in an invasion/genocide (because those soldiers might just be regular clean soldiers, not the dirty warcriming soldiers) is indeed a necessary part of rehabilitation.

Note that all of this is in reference to a pretty not-explicit joke about an elite tank ace dying in combat, not generic "people suffering".

I'm not telling people to do that. and the issue at hand doesn't have any baring on if they are a warcrime soldier or not. I'm just saying people not partaking in a celebration of the death of an adversary aren't the same as people trying to rehabilitate nazi soldiers.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 14, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Again, russia does not execute soldiers for refusing to deploy. People literally can just walk away from their units and they may or may not even be picked up later for it. Similar to draft dodging, yeah it might well upend your life, but at least then you aren't literally a participant in a genocidal war of conquest, which actually seems like a bargain, all things considered.

The only people without really any ability to just not fight are the portion of separatist republic troops that were literally press-ganged into fighting.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Again, russia does not execute soldiers for refusing to deploy. People literally can just walk away from their units and they may or may not even be picked up later for it. Similar to draft dodging, yeah it might well upend your life, but at least then you aren't literally a participant in a genocidal war of conquest, which actually seems like a bargain, all things considered.

The only people without really any ability to just not fight are the portion of separatist republic troops that were literally press-ganged into fighting.

Almost like morality contigent on agency is a leftover from pre-scientific beliefs.

the rightness or wrongness of an act has nothing to do with how many alternative paths theoretically existed. Russian soldiers would still be doing a wrong even if they faced execution.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 14, 2022

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Could you guys please get a room or just PM or something. I do not want to go back a comment chain 3 pages long to make sense of these short heavy hitters.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

FishBulbia posted:

I'm not telling people to do that. and the issue at hand doesn't have any baring on if they are a warcrime soldier or not. I'm just saying people not partaking in a celebration of the death of an adversary aren't the same as people trying to rehabilitate nazi soldiers.

There's not partaking in the joking and celebration, and then there's actively criticizing those who do with justifications that mirror those used to build and perpetuate the Clean Wehrmacht Myth.

To be clear - this was not about a graphic exultation and wild celebration of some random person's death. This is about a mild joke at the expense of an elite Tank Ace killed in combat inside the foreign country his army is currently invading and genociding.

Edit: Yeah, I agree, the points have been made and this is going on too long. I'll leave it there.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Warbadger posted:

To be clear - this was not about a graphic exultation and wild celebration of some random person's death. This is about a mild joke at the expense of an elite Tank Ace killed in combat inside the foreign country his army is currently invading and genociding.

This was pretty clearly an extension of the convo that resulted from a goon talking about how much it sucked that their random 20 y/o relative got killed. You can view it as a net positive for happening given the alternative and still not enjoy human suffering.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Herstory Begins Now posted:

This is a valid viewpoint. I think it should be fine to argue for a more resolute type of individual responsibility of pacifism here if you want to, even if it’s questionable to have. There is some pedigree to the notion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Soldier_(song) posted:

He's five feet two and he's six feet four
He fights with missiles and with spears
He's all of 31 and he's only 17
He's been a soldier for a thousand years

He's a Catholic, a Hindu, an atheist, a Jain,
A Buddhist and a Baptist and a Jew
And he knows he shouldn't kill
And he knows he always will
Kill you for me my friend and me for you

And he's fighting for Canada,
He's fighting for France,
He's fighting for the USA,
And he's fighting for the Russians
And he's fighting for Japan,
And he thinks we'll put an end to war this way

And he's fighting for Democracy
And fighting for the Reds
He says it's for the peace of all
He's the one who must decide
Who's to live and who's to die
And he never sees the writing on the walls

But without him how would Hitler have
Condemned him at Liebau
Without him Caesar would have stood alone
He's the one who gives his body
As a weapon to a war
And without him all this killing can't go on

He's the universal soldier and he
Really is to blame
His orders come from far away no more
They come from him, and you, and me
And brothers can't you see
This is not the way we put an end to war.

It’s trivially true, I mean, how would Putin condemn him at Sieverodonetsk? And ultimately it’s like Kevin Barnes said: “This life is not a prison: we are always free to go, anytime.” Of course, you should think hard whether these opinions are worth having; YMMV!

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/Kira_Yarmysh/status/1536668006671073282?s=20&t=mIVQ-UHrOsSRUScDj3uE6g

They disappeared Navalny

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Not Ukraine but very much related:

https://twitter.com/WillManidis/status/1536347712911577089?s=20&t=r3M668-4TGb1PBNPAzyq_Q

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lilljonas posted:

We "know" there were about 20k to 40K soldiers before the invasion and before the introduction of mandatory conscription. A couple of tens of thousands on the Luhansk-Donetsk front right now, after Russia has lost a ton of BTGs and also have many of their troops stationed on other fronts, means that the DPR and LPR forces are a significant part of the current active fighting, even though maybe not the majority. But not an insignificant portion at least, and not two small paramilitary groups.

Before the invasion the Ukrainian estimates were 35-40k combined for Russian regulars and locals, total for both regions. I think it’s reasonable to think the number is in the same vicinity right now, since they’re being used as a cannot fodder and self-report 50% casualty rate, at total headcount that would mean 100% headcount increase from 2021.

On the small/significant, please allow me rephrase myself clearer. I think they are a small group, relative to the main Russian force (at best 25% before forced mobilisation, after which we’re operating on layers of assumptions with open-ended interpretation). Especially “LNR” “militia”, which was <10k before February. At the same time, they were useful to the Russian war machine, and their contribution to the Russian effort has been significant - here I would merely further contextualise what I said earlier by stating that I think they are less significant now, with their depleted infantry standing in an hyperlocalised artillery battle, than they were back when Russia was attacking in all directions, and needed dudes with rifles to cover the ground.

FishBulbia posted:

Isn't something like 50% of the population of the DNR basically pensioners? I'm skeptical of their ability to leave.

Pensioners are not getting mobilised. And yes, most young people have left - either for Ukraine or for Russia - unlike those who were forced to fight in the recent months.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lilljonas posted:

Edited

All I'm trying to say is that it is very easy to dehumanise participants in a war when you are not, yourself, in a situation where you have to make hard choices. Like mentioned above that "it's your fault if you keep living in an occupied country and then get conscripted". In a idealized fantasy it's easy to declare that everyone who are about to be roped into an oppressive war of conquest should make some kind of noble sacrifice, but very few in this thread have ever done anything close to what it would mean to flee your country back in 2014-2018 because of the insurgency, or even worse to actively resist a mandatory conscription.

A little bit of humility among the armchair moralists would be nice. By that I don't mean to apologize for the Russian atrocities or anything like that, but rather appeal to a more nuanced understanding of the psychology of war and systemic oppression.

You might want to take a chill pill if you’re trying to accuse me here of blaming people in LDNR for being forced to fight.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

This tweet seems like fearmongering; it was an explosion at Freeport, not the entire place exploding or "Freeport's explosion" (interesting use of the possessive there). There's been plenty of coverage, and it's expected to be a ~three week outage.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 14, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

This seems like fearmongering; it was an explosion at Freeport, not the entire place exploding or "Freeport's explosion" (interesting use of the possessive there). There's been plenty of coverage, and it's expected to be a ~three week outage.

A three week outage is significant impact given the shift to alternative sources of natural gas, and in the middle of a fuel crisis.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

CommieGIR posted:

A three week outage is significant impact given the shift to alternative sources of natural gas, and in the middle of a fuel crisis.

Not relative to "Freeport exploded" or "this story is almost no where in the mainsteam news", or the twitter user implying it was Russian sabotage, which really ain't in evidence.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

Not relative to "Freeport exploded" or "this story is almost no where in the mainsteam news", or the twitter user implying it was Russian sabotage, which really ain't in evidence.

You are getting pedantic: The Plant itself is known as the Freeport project, and while the entire plant did not explode (and I don't think they are claiming it did) there was an explosion directly connected to the plant.

You are really squabbling over this for no good reason.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've definitely seen this covered in the news before. Three weeks is pretty significant because Europe needs every drop of it, and since it's pretty strategic infrastructure in the conflict, does smell a bit like

On the other hand, it's in Texas, so chemical facilities blowing up is about as normal as in russia.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

On the other hand, it's in Texas, so chemical facilities blowing up is about as normal as in russia.

Yup, explosions at plants in Texas are, sadly, pretty common and normal, but it couldn't come at a worse time.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Morning mix.
https://twitter.com/spook_info/status/1536703300921434116?s=20&t=D4eQD2pTGgwJ-_AT_cIZvQ
:getin: edit: Moscow times link from the second tweet: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/06/14/days-of-shelling-reported-in-russian-town-near-ukraine-border-a77989

It begins
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1536659882543284226?s=20&t=D4eQD2pTGgwJ-_AT_cIZvQ
Hmmm
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1536664882803875852?s=20&t=D4eQD2pTGgwJ-_AT_cIZvQ

More on this:
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1536682851084779523?s=20&t=D4eQD2pTGgwJ-_AT_cIZvQ
https://twitter.com/pevchikh/status/1536669904795058178?s=20&t=D4eQD2pTGgwJ-_AT_cIZvQ

couple days old but good thread on the situation in Ukraine
https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1536049706681368576?s=20&t=D4eQD2pTGgwJ-_AT_cIZvQ
the bits about Kherson kind of match what I've been seeing - getting Kherson back is much more important to Ukraine than holding every town in the east. that's my armchair take anyway
https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1536049714524823555?s=20&t=D4eQD2pTGgwJ-_AT_cIZvQ
https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1536049717406310402?s=20&t=D4eQD2pTGgwJ-_AT_cIZvQ

Edit: Moved artillery stuff to a separate post

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 14, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SirTagz posted:

Could you guys please get a room or just PM or something. I do not want to go back a comment chain 3 pages long to make sense of these short heavy hitters.

Please don’t backseat mod, especially when me, Commie, or Fritz are posting.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, explosions at plants in Texas are, sadly, pretty common and normal, but it couldn't come at a worse time.

it's really cool and good that the dudes who shot up them power stations here never got caught

luckily no one can ever do that again

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Alan Smithee posted:

it's really cool and good that the dudes who shot up them power stations here never got caught

The fact that the Russian's aren't pulling off that stuff in the US is a testament to their incompetence and how much that "Russian web of influence" was overblown

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

I was reading about that last week. A lot of people seem to think it was done intentionally by a group to draw attention to the weak security. The team of people were obviously very professional in how fast and quiet they were able shoot up that station without drawing attention. No radio comms were apparent but flashlight signals to keep it low-tech.

Then they did it again like a year later.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FishBulbia posted:

The fact that the Russian's aren't pulling off that stuff in the US is a testament to their incompetence and how much that "Russian web of influence" was overblown

They are probably scared of doing something that would finally get the US to gently caress them up

cochise posted:

I was reading about that last week. A lot of people seem to think it was done intentionally by a group to draw attention to the weak security. The team of people were obviously very professional in how fast and quiet they were able shoot up that station without drawing attention. No radio comms were apparent but flashlight signals to keep it low-tech.

Then they did it again like a year later.
Do you still have a link in history? I tried to google but there seemed to be a few stories from like 2014

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

The US government publicly stated that any such attack on US soil could trigger NATO article 5.

You do the math :v:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

American police don't exist to catch criminals, they exist to terrorize people of color.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Thread about how the new western artillery trickling in is starting to have an effect.
https://twitter.com/Danspiun/status/1536443679598170113?s=20&t=D4eQD2pTGgwJ-_AT_cIZvQ
https://twitter.com/Danspiun/status/1536669018416992257?s=20&t=D4eQD2pTGgwJ-_AT_cIZvQ

Note: :nws: there are videos of artillery exploding in the links. Nothing graphic beyond the knowledge that soldiers operate them and likely died in the explosion

Note on equipment attrition
https://twitter.com/Rebel44CZ/status/1536610542500122624?s=20&t=D4eQD2pTGgwJ-_AT_cIZvQ

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Wibla posted:

The US government publicly stated that any such attack on US soil could trigger NATO article 5.

You do the math :v:

Who'd they nuke? Arkansas?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FishBulbia posted:

Russia not committing acts of terrorism in the United States is a testament to Russian incompetence?

...what?

Russia should be destroying US infrastructure and bombing US factories at random as a sign of competence in your eyes? How many people need to be reminded that neither the US, nor Germany nor Switzerland is at war with Russia?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The reason why media rarely cares to mention the distinction is because these are not some kind of separatist armies - they’re two relatively small paramilitary groups lead by Russian soldiers (~20% of total headcount before February). Their total headcount is a few tens of thousands, when the force that invaded from Russia is 120-180 thousand, depending on whose numbers you like.

While I’m not personally interested in that, one could also make a philosophical argument about their agency in willingly living under a military occupation.

Two to three million Ukrainians spent eight years being shelled by Ukrainian artillery and seeing fanatics do horrifying things to their community (https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-tornado-battalion-rogue-paramilitaries-kyiv-trial-crimes/28205795.html), their civilian centers are being bombed as we speak even though Ukraine claims to have no spare artillery shells.

They don't need much coercion to be opposite to the current Ukrainian regime. They're probably the most motivated to fully retake their regions. Have you ever bothered to study their perspective in this war? They're not a Borg collective indoctrinated by Russia. They are real people with real motivations in a real struggle.

KitConstantine posted:

Thread about how the new western artillery trickling in is starting to have an effect.

It sure has!
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/three-killed-artillery-attack-donetsk-market-separatist-news-agency-2022-06-13/

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Therefore the glorious conquest of little Russia by the great new Tsar Putin in the name of greater Russia is entirely justified, and the evil Western Europeans and Americans are aiding and abetting the confused Ukrainian nationalists—confused because Ukraine is an invention of Lenin—terrorists.

Terrorists who are staging war crimes and blaming the mighty beneficent and loving Russian army in the process.

Yeah, yeah… I think I have heard all of this from the Russian Foreign Ministry before. Dress it up how you like, it’s still completely divorced from reality.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Mans posted:

Russia not committing acts of terrorism in the United States is a testament to Russian incompetence?

...what?

Russia should be destroying US infrastructure and bombing US factories at random as a sign of competence in your eyes? How many people need to be reminded that neither the US, nor Germany nor Switzerland is at war with Russia?

Two to three million Ukrainians spent eight years being shelled by Ukrainian artillery and seeing fanatics do horrifying things to their community (https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-tornado-battalion-rogue-paramilitaries-kyiv-trial-crimes/28205795.html), their civilian centers are being bombed as we speak even though Ukraine claims to have no spare artillery shells.

They don't need much coercion to be opposite to the current Ukrainian regime. They're probably the most motivated to fully retake their regions. Have you ever bothered to study their perspective in this war? They're not a Borg collective indoctrinated by Russia. They are real people with real motivations in a real struggle.

It sure has!
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/three-killed-artillery-attack-donetsk-market-separatist-news-agency-2022-06-13/

Ah yes, the classic DNR and LNR never shelled anybody during those 8 years.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mans posted:

Someone should remind Russia then, because the official line is they are at war with all of the West, hence the lack of a quick decisive victory over the non-country of Ukraine. Even though there is technically no war at all.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Has it?

quote:

There was no independent confirmation of any of the attacks and Reuters could not ascertain whether they had taken place.

Mans posted:

I have, you may be surprised to learn, and my conclusion is that their cause is almost entirely manufactured, and would not exist without a military occupation government staffed by Russia’s security apparatus. The farcical nature of its “real” popular support can be assessed the easiest by recalling that pre-2014 population of the region occupied by Russian proxy forces as of February 23 was roughly 7 million, compared to the roughly 3 million as of the date.

As a side note, evidence of Kyiv prosecuting frivolous behaviour amongst its forces early into the conflict is not the proof of horrifying things their victims were subjected to that you think it is.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Mans posted:

All I can say is lol what

quote:

But even with the courtroom closed to observers, the latest Tornado trial has become a public spectacle. Authorities released video footage from a court session they said shows the defendants interrupting proceedings by shouting and hurling their own feces and urine at judges and prosecutors. One defendant is heard in the video recording threatening a judge, "I'll come after you, bitch, and I'll rape your corpse with a rubber cock."

quote:

One man came to Topolskov, he said, to tell him about Tornado fighters who forced him and another male detainee at gunpoint to rape a third man who was tied to a pommel horse.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mans posted:

Note that the men mentioned in this article were arrested in Ukraine by Ukrainians and were sentenced in a Ukrainian court to at least a decade a piece in prison time for their crimes. Whereas Russian soldiers who commited war crimes during this war have been given medals. Not sure this proves what you think it proves

Link for the curious https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/court-kyiv-sentences-eight-tornado-police-squad-members-long-imprisonment.html
Trial details: https://uacrisis.org/en/55087-need-know-case-former-tornado-battalion-servicemen

Please note if you read the article the source is TASS, which is Russian state media. It is also unverified by any other reporting. Its a nightmare when any civilian is killed during war. What are the Russians doing along the rest of the frontline in the east though? I'm sure it's not indiscriminate destruction or anything, best not to think about it.

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 14, 2022

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mans posted:

How did the full retaking of Mariupol go?
Surely resulted in less deaths than dozen on the Donbass frontline for the whole of 2021?

This poo poo after everyone saw how Russian army treats the supposedly pro-Russian areas and Russian speakers is just ghoulish concern trolling.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Also, a reminder that in the last 3 years, the casualties among civilians, according to LNR and DNR officials were in the single digits, most of them due to mines (without specifying whose mines), not shelling. The actual hot phase of the conflict ended in 2015 with Minsk 2. Even though according to OSCE, who monitored ceasefire, both sides violated it, LNR and DNR troops did it much more often, and people also died on Ukraine-controlled territories. Now there's been at least 4,395 dead civilians in the past 110 days, not counting Mariupol and other places where UN currently don't have access to. None of that would have happened if Russia didn't attack, absolutely unprovoked.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

You should be concerned for the russian speakers of Mariupol and Odesa. For the last 100 days Russian forces have been threatening their very existence.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Do you still have a link in history? I tried to google but there seemed to be a few stories from like 2014

Had to dig around for it. Thought I saved/liked this thread when I read it last week but I didn't. :v:

Here you go: https://twitter.com/WillManidis/status/1533814922366308360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cochise posted:

Had to dig around for it. Thought I saved/liked this thread when I read it last week but I didn't. :v:

Here you go: https://twitter.com/WillManidis/status/1533814922366308360

Thanks! So it probably was one of the stories I googled :) But I was also certain that I've heard of a much more recent case so I thought I was missing something.