Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

You got any room for your legs under that desk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Armauk posted:

it looks like there’s a little cutout space on the right hand side for them, but it does look snug

I’m more curious to know if the OP triple-screen cranks it from the chair, or if he rotates the screens and cranks it from the bed

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That looks like a sewing table almost. I used one as a desk when I lived in Boston and it was loving awful

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m more curious to know if the OP triple-screen cranks it from the chair, or if he rotates the screens and cranks it from the bed

It doesn't appear to be height adjustable :confused:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

canyoneer posted:

It doesn't appear to be height adjustable :confused:

aren’t they mounted on a post?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Armauk posted:

The perspective is a little wonky, but yeah. I've had this desk since middle school, so maybe I just got used to it.

Ugh, cables. Gotta fix that next.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I unashamedly do that in the office washroom.

Johnny Truant posted:

That looks like a sewing table almost. I used one as a desk when I lived in Boston and it was loving awful
It might be. I think that desk is over 40 years, old, and really the dumbest part is the drawers on the left side. If they were on the right it would have more space to use the mouse, or even just writing. I don't get it—it's indeed awful. But it has a matching dresser that my ex-wife stole!

Ok Comboomer posted:

aren’t they mounted on a post?
Yeah, and they're height adjustable, and can swivel/pan. It's this one, actually. I'm pretty happy with it for the price.

Edit: VVV Those husky adjustable desks seem like all the rage, but that's probably a year away. The next investment is a decent GPU once the market cools off more. VVV

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 12, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Interesting, what desk are you going to buy to complete the setup?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there such a thing as a standing desk that I'm able to store in a closet?

What I really want - is a standing desk but I absolutely hate having it in my living room or bedroom. I cannot stand having my job in my daily life if I'm sleeping or watching television. The alternative is a bigger apartment but that's expensive.

Does such a thing exist?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I unashamedly do that in the office washroom.

Boss makes a dollar. You make a dime. It's always fun to wank on company time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What I really want - is a standing desk but I absolutely hate having it in my living room or bedroom. I cannot stand having my job in my daily life if I'm sleeping or watching television. The alternative is a bigger apartment but that's expensive.

Does such a thing exist?
Googling "av cart" gave me a lot of things on wheels, of an apparent reasonable height, sometimes with a slide out keyboard tray and built in power cable management, that, depending on your closet might fit. Not a lot of surface area though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Does such a thing exist?

The Husky table at home depot has a version with wheels, so maybe it would work if your closet is big enough https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-W-x-24-in-D-Adjustable-Height-Solid-Wood-Top-Workbench-Table-in-Black-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Does such a thing exist?

How much desk space do you need and how big of a closet do you have? I got this little thing which basically only gives me enough space for the computer, monitor(s), keyboard, and mouse.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J55MJQ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mainly got this so I could use it anywhere I wanted. I didn't really consider being able to store it in a closet but mainly because I don't have any closets with sufficient vacant space to store it.

However, I ended up going on an insane upgrade spree and almost immediately I felt included wheels were pretty dinky so they were the first things to go. I got these but anything with a M8x1.25 thread should work although I would highly recommend using washers to not tear the nuts out of the frame.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089SMN7Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course my next problem was that the platform that the monitors and stuff sitting on it adds a ton of weight that makes height adjustment unfeasible. As a result, I have the height locked for a standing position and I have a stool that can work at that height. However, that means it's not usable if I move it somewhere that has seats at a more normal height unless I want to take the stool with me. So in the end, the desk never moved.

Also, running an extra long extension cord whenever I wanted to move it around got really cumbersome so, again, it never moved.

For the latter problem, I just bought a battery pack with a built-in inverter that can last at least a whole workday so I can now move it around without worrying about the power cord. The battery pack can also double as an emergency generator during a power outage. For the former problem, I rigged this poo poo together.

Yes that is a 1.5 ton capacity scissor jack meant to lift cars on some janky brackets that is supporting the weight of the main desk space and can raise and lower it. I only just put it together but it works surprisingly well and manages to stay aligned and level while raising and lowering the jack. I wish it didn't take so many rotations to raise and lower it (I know it's probably like that to give you enough mechanical advantage to lift a car) but at least I can do it now without struggling. That said, I do not recommend this particular upgrade because the jack, parts, and material came out to an obscene amount. At the very least, I could have saved some money selecting more cost effective materials and a cheaper store for the bracket and support. All of it came from Lowes so I definitely overpaid for the material but I wanted to put together something quick as a functional proof of concept.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 13, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Edward IV posted:

How much desk space do you need and how big of a closet do you have? I got this little thing which basically only gives me enough space for the computer, monitor(s), keyboard, and mouse.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J55MJQ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Holy poo poo.

This could work. But... How's the wobble with the wheels?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Holy poo poo.

This could work. But... How's the wobble with the wheels?

On the stock wheels, I don't know. As I said, I ditched those pretty quickly. Not that they were necessarily bad but I wanted to be able to take the cart onto the patio you see on the left and the stock wheels definitely weren't going to cut it.

My replacement 4" wheels do work great, though, but again I would also recommend 5/16" ID, 1.5" OD washers especially if the cart it as heavily loaded as mine. They come in 3" varieties as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089SMW1HR/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Edward IV posted:

I mainly got this so I could use it anywhere I wanted. I didn't really consider being able to store it in a closet but mainly because I don't have any closets with sufficient vacant space to store it.

However, I ended up going on an insane upgrade spree and almost immediately I felt included wheels were pretty dinky so they were the first things to go. I got these but anything with a M8x1.25 thread should work although I would highly recommend using washers to not tear the nuts out of the frame.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089SMN7Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course my next problem was that the platform that the monitors and stuff sitting on it adds a ton of weight that makes height adjustment unfeasible. As a result, I have the height locked for a standing position and I have a stool that can work at that height. However, that means it's not usable if I move it somewhere that has seats at a more normal height unless I want to take the stool with me. So in the end, the desk never moved.

Also, running an extra long extension cord whenever I wanted to move it around got really cumbersome so, again, it never moved.

For the latter problem, I just bought a battery pack with a built-in inverter that can last at least a whole workday so I can now move it around without worrying about the power cord. The battery pack can also double as an emergency generator during a power outage. For the former problem, I rigged this poo poo together.

Yes that is a 1.5 ton capacity scissor jack meant to lift cars on some janky brackets that is supporting the weight of the main desk space and can raise and lower it. I only just put it together but it works surprisingly well and manages to stay aligned and level while raising and lowering the jack. I wish it didn't take so many rotations to raise and lower it (I know it's probably like that to give you enough mechanical advantage to lift a car) but at least I can do it now without struggling. That said, I do not recommend this particular upgrade because the jack, parts, and material came out to an obscene amount. At the very least, I could have saved some money selecting more cost effective materials and a cheaper store for the bracket and support. All of it came from Lowes so I definitely overpaid for the material but I wanted to put together something quick as a functional proof of concept.

lmfao

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011

Edward IV posted:

Now just attach a cordless drill to the jack for rapid raising/lowering and your frankendesk will be complete(?)!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I will never stop being amazed at the lengths people will go to to use whatever they have lying around to solve simple problems in the most convoluted ways possible. Bravo

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Longbike posted:

Now just attach a cordless drill to the jack for rapid raising/lowering and your frankendesk will be complete(?)!

this is what I do for my manual crank sit/stand desk. I took off the hand crank and just bought a socket that fits it.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I'm legit getting depressed where this thread is going

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Edward IV posted:

this is cool as gently caress imo. i would never, but bravo

Withnail posted:

isnt this the same thread that outed a bigtime eve player as an overwatch r34 artist?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Withnail posted:

honestly the goon neckbeard meme has crossed over from meme and into something people here seem to strive for

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You guys are gonna make these boys start furiously jacking their desks up to an appropriate level to defend their honor

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

make these boys start furiously jacking their desks

Hm.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
just lmao at the turn this took

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
You think my setup's janky? This used to be my PC case.

Look at that airflow. Budget builds 4 lyfe.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

You think my setup's janky? This used to be my PC case.

Look at that airflow. Budget builds 4 lyfe.

I know an electrician who couldn't be assed to replace their tower's power button and rigged it up to effectively hotwire the PC to start it every time.

Budgets of $0 breed strange behavior.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

SkyeAuroline posted:

I know an electrician who couldn't be assed to replace their tower's power button and rigged it up to effectively hotwire the PC to start it every time.

Budgets of $0 breed strange behavior.

all you're doing is shorting 2 pins on the mobo with that power button, you can start your computer with a flat head screw driver if you want

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ya I had a summer fling with a briefcase PC back in like 2004 and I never got around to installing a power button, just shorted the pins with a pocket tool.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

This made me google 'briefcase PCs', and 5 minutes later, I still can't believe anyone thought these were good ideas lol.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

anakha posted:

This made me google 'briefcase PCs', and 5 minutes later, I still can't believe anyone thought these were good ideas lol.
Look, we all made poor decisions in our youth. I wanted an easier way to transport my computer to/from college.

I gave up on the briefcase PC after a month or two and went laptop a few months after that.

Didn’t build another desktop until 2012.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Look, we all made poor decisions in our youth. I wanted an easier way to transport my computer to/from college.

I gave up on the briefcase PC after a month or two and went laptop a few months after that.

lmao it’s like multiple layers of dorkness

an intersectionality of dorks

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

No, I get the portability need. I'm referring to people coming up with poo poo like these in the name of portability.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
like not only are you a ‘bring a briefcase to college’ kid, but there’s a loving gaming rig built into it

was there a special cubbyhole for a couple MTG decks too? Maybe a pocketknife holder? Fedora dispenser? A little roll tape printer for spitting out obscure Civil War tactics facts and Ayn Rand quotes? A button labeled ‘anime’?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

like not only are you a ‘bring a briefcase to college’ kid, but there’s a loving gaming rig built into it

was there a special cubbyhole for a couple MTG decks too?

NGL, I would have paid for a bag with compartments for a laptop and an MTG draft set in college LOL.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

anakha posted:

NGL, I would have paid for a bag with compartments for a laptop and an MTG draft set in college LOL.

I’m pretty sure those ugly ThinkGeek Bag of Holding messenger bag things that got popular for a hot minute with the same people who buy Randall Munroe books and insist that Battlestar Galactica was good/holds up had compartments specially sized to hold MTG decks

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m pretty sure those ugly ThinkGeek Bag of Holding messenger bag things that got popular for a hot minute with the same people who buy Randall Munroe books and insist that Battlestar Galactica was good/holds up had compartments specially sized to hold MTG decks

You mean this? gently caress no, even I have more fashion sense than that lol. I was thinking more along the lines of an actual neutral-looking messenger that had those compartments.

I have friends that would have killed for one of these in college.

anakha fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 16, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

anakha posted:

You mean this? gently caress no, even I have more fashion sense than that lol. I was thinking more along the lines of an actual neutral-looking messenger that had those compartments.

oh god, that’s the worst one

No I was thinking of this one, of which at least two iterations appear to have been produced:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

anakha posted:

No, I get the portability need. I'm referring to people coming up with poo poo like these in the name of portability.
I mean, I had a really janky version of the first link. I even attempted to integrate a 19” LCD into the lid.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
15 years ago Dell came out with the XPS M2010 and it was the most annoying thing to work on. And it was ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

anakha posted:

Do you still have MTG cards? Have you seen prices recently?

Because, uh, they could fund anything from a laptop to a car based on what you have.