Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

seaborgium posted:

Looks like that old Nick Fury comic splash page, where's he's flying into the scene on a sideways motorcycle and firing randomly. Which isn't a bad thing, just a particular kind of art.

gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hazo posted:

gently caress yeah

I feel like the Venture Bros basically came from this panel. At least Brock Sampson did.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

this bullshit is all CinemaSins' fault

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like the Venture Bros basically came from this panel. At least Brock Sampson did.

I can hear Doc Venture yelling "Brock, what did I ask you about the rocket cycle in my lab!" while he's once again watching a movie that he assumes has nudity from misinterpreting the title.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Have to say the scenes with Vader on the planet were the first time I've really enjoyed this show

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Phenotype posted:

lol he totally did, he's the big dude up front and center in all the battle scenes after that. He was even the one who showed up as a messenger to tell Kenobi the Stormtroopers were gonna break through. He gave that little girl a quick rundown and immediately took off.

I totally can't blame him though, he said it'd take 2 or 3 hours to get that door open, and the presence or absence of Stormtroopers doesn't make a technical job like that go any faster. He was like "welp, gently caress this, let the little girl take the blame when the door won't open, I was never gonna get it done in time anyway."

Oops, must've missed him. Oh well, it still fits well enough.

Vinylshadow posted:

Kyle and the Moldy Crow only exist as trading cards, unfortunately

He seems to be having fun

I miss Kyle. I hope they dust him off as some point. :(

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
it's not real Kyle Katarn Content unless he beats a kell dragon to death barehanded

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
The auralnauts have a nice spoof going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU3HsNt8E1c

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 17, 2022

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

:getin:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
... unless their demands are met

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Great, gonna have to wake up even earlier :v:

I’m okay with this.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just calling Ewan back into the light closet repeatedly to film XYZ setting up season 2

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Long if true.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Set up a Vader show that's a weekly comedy where he leaves the armour at home, puts on a Vader tux, slaps on a wig and some make up, and tries to woo an unimpressed Keira Knightley on a series of hot dates in exotic locales each week while an increasingly furious Palps texts him demanding he stop skiving off work.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sentinel Red posted:

Set up a Vader show that's a weekly comedy where he leaves the armour at home, puts on a Vader tux, slaps on a wig and some make up, and tries to woo an unimpressed Keira Knightley on a series of hot dates in exotic locales each week while an increasingly furious Palps texts him demanding he stop skiving off work.

I... would watch the hell out of that. Vader trying to score with his wife's double would be a hoot.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

Wasn't she literally just told to look for and plug a red plug in? That's like the least illogical part of the episode in a show with a million stupid moments.
People are annoyed about this because they saw the wires get shredded with a buzz saw earlier in the same episode

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If only there was a small alien good at repairing mechanical things. That's right, young babu should have been there

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The episode would have been better if Babu Frik fixed the wires and popped his head put of the vent to say HEY HEY!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Mods No Masters posted:

If only there was a small alien good at repairing mechanical things. That's right, young babu should have been there

How old is he anyhow? He could be Old Babu and Even Older Babu.

He could be 10,000 for all we know!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The last episode can possibly redeem the show so long as it has Liam Neeson cameo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One place where I feel this show has absolutely fallen short is in the music department. The main theme is the only one that has anything memorable about it and that's just John Williams magic. Everything else sounds so dull or they blast out some indistinct brass sections.

Fett had some great tunes and Mando had Ludwig going all out with some absolute banger music. Why can't Obi Wan have good music too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Arc Hammer posted:

One place where I feel this show has absolutely fallen short is in the music department. The main theme is the only one that has anything memorable about it and that's just John Williams magic. Everything else sounds so dull or they blast out some indistinct brass sections.

What bothers me a lot is that you have a show about Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader, two characters with incredibly iconic leitmotifs, and they seem to be going out of their way not to use those leitmotifs. Why?!?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
yeah the music is by far the most disappointing part. they should be dropping variations on the imperial march and qui gon's funeral and poo poo left and right.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Like, even Fallen Order knew when to drop an Anakin theme

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lmao at our hero obi wan manipulating a deeply traumatized woman into killing herself to buy him time. revas whole character and arc are just complete and utter nonsense. what a horrible show

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That DICK! posted:

yeah the music is by far the most disappointing part. they should be dropping variations on the imperial march and qui gon's funeral and poo poo left and right.

The brassy stuff I mentioned does seem to be a variation on the Empire theme from A New Hope but it's not as good.

It makes me wish for Rogue One's music and I really don't like that film's music because it sounds like a dollar store knockoff of Williams, but at least it sounds like something instead of nothing.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

babypolis posted:

lmao at our hero obi wan manipulating a deeply traumatized woman into killing herself to buy him time. revas whole character and arc are just complete and utter nonsense. what a horrible show

They come close to letting her actually have a character sometimes; hopefully they’ll let her be an actual compelling character all of the time in S2 rather than just sometimes

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MechaX posted:

Like, even Fallen Order knew when to drop an Anakin theme

Hell, Rogue One whipped out the old rear end A New Hope Vader theme, the one that never shows up anywhere else in Star Wars. They should be getting some mileage out of that theme too, but they aren't.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
one of the best parts about Star Wars Galaxies was having the Force theme or the Qui-Gon funeral theme song hit at sunset while you were cruisin' the open fields on your speeder :unsmith: it was always like 1 of 5 songs and it never got old

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Has the show had any williams or williams derived music at all? I hate to jump to conclusions but I have to imagine they would only do that in the event of some arcane royalties dispute or something

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

That's not happening.

They're screening the finale in some theater chains and they're listing 93 mins as the run-time, but that time includes a live Q&A with cast and creatives of indeterminate length.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hazo posted:

Man that animation was pretty bad starting out.

I do enjoy how it sounds like Yoda calls Dooku a oval office at 1:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzq1GIzVsHE&t=240s

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

babypolis posted:

On paper, Reza is a vastly more interesting character than either Obiwan or Anakin (as depicted in this show): a trained psychic supersoldier who rejects both Sith and Jedi teachings. She potentially stands for the rage of the galaxy's underclasses but is held back by her personal fixation on dragging others down with her. She actually has plans that she enacts.

Anakin in the show is just a sadist with a grudge, and Obiwan is just doing whatever. "I'm a big loser and gently caress-up but all these really nice people are being really nice to me :)". He doesn't really do anything but react to random situations.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 17, 2022

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I still cant get over how Obi Wans whole plan was to goad Reva and leave her to rot. I mean why couldnt he stay behind and help her? the two of them would have a much better chance. He would actually provide the distraction he claims Reva was going to have. Its just such an insanely hosed up thing for him to do, specially when his whole arc is that you cant erase the mistakes of the past, but you can still do the best you can to help those in need. So instead of helping this woman out, someone who he already failed horribly before, he just throws her into the meatgrinder without a second thought or a shred of remorse? How are the writers of this show so loving incompetent

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Has the show had any williams or williams derived music at all? I hate to jump to conclusions but I have to imagine they would only do that in the event of some arcane royalties dispute or something

Williams composed the main theme for Obi-Wan and that's it. Everything else not done for the movies has been handled by a new generation of composers like Ludwig Göransson and others. Mainly because, like everyone else associated with the original incarnation of Star Wars, John Williams is also old as gently caress and on his way out the door, so his reliability is a big giant ? mark now.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
does john williams not have one of those big hans zimmer style talent farms? you'd think his music would be pretty easy to replicate

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Williams composed the main theme for Obi-Wan and that's it. Everything else not done for the movies has been handled by a new generation of composers like Ludwig Göransson and others. Mainly because, like everyone else associated with the original incarnation of Star Wars, John Williams is also old as gently caress and on his way out the door, so his reliability is a big giant ? mark now.

I don't completely accept that not having the guy himself composing means you can't use his leitmotifs at all, even when they would be entirely appropriate and merited. Especially in as cloying of a nostalgia exercise as this show in particular. But I appreciate the alternative perspective on it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

babypolis posted:

I still cant get over how Obi Wans whole plan was to goad Reva and leave her to rot. I mean why couldnt he stay behind and help her? the two of them would have a much better chance. He would actually provide the distraction he claims Reva was going to have. Its just such an insanely hosed up thing for him to do, specially when his whole arc is that you cant erase the mistakes of the past, but you can still do the best you can to help those in need. So instead of helping this woman out, someone who he already failed horribly before, he just throws her into the meatgrinder without a second thought or a shred of remorse? How are the writers of this show so loving incompetent

I hate to give this show any credit, but obi wan being a dickhead is one of the things it gets right. He's been consistently portrayed as one since star wars 6 if not star wars 5

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 17, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I don't completely accept that not having the guy himself composing means you can't use his leitmotifs at all, even when they would be entirely appropriate and merited. Especially in as cloying of a nostalgia exercise as this show in particular. But I appreciate the alternative perspective on it

I'm just reminded sort of what happened at SqureEnix with Final Fantasy over the recent years. Nobuo Uematsu was Square's John Williams and over the last decade or so starting with Final Fantasy XIII he kind of stepped aside and let a new generation of composers start taking the lead on projects because he too is an old rear end man now of unreliable health. Fans got in a tizzy for a while because the new composers like Masashi Hamauzu weren't "respecting Uematsu's legacy" enough, ie: writing their own music for the franchise their own way without relying on legacy leitmotifs. And it took a while for fans to come around to the new way of doing things.

It's not a complete 1:1 comparison here, but I can see shades of it with folks like Görasson and co trying not to rely too much on Williams' stock and trade and trying to do their own thing with the franchise's soundscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I hate to give this show any credit, but obi wan being a dickhead is one of the things it gets right. He's been consistently portrated as one since star wars 6 if not star wars 5

I dont really agree but sure whatever. But if his whole thing during this episode is "Im good now so I fight good now" what follows with Reva is pure nonsense