Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Two jobs here, about to start third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

There needs to be a way to bottle the “just quit my job” feeling

It really is the greatest.

Floppychop posted:

Why would you want to bottle the pure anxiety feeling of "oh gently caress, oh gently caress, I hope I made the right choice and didn't screw myself over"?

I'm so bummed for you that this is your experience! I hope you get to feel the real joy of quitting at some point. It's so good.

Hughmoris posted:

How'd they take it? Gnashing of teeth and rending of garments?

I'm pretty vocal about my feelings and it was no secret that I was unhappy. We'll see once knews spreads, but whatever.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I'm so proud of you

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

jaegerx posted:

Is there anyone here who started posting in this thread still have the same job/company as when they first started posting?

This is a fun exercise to filter your own posts and see whats changed.

Help desk at a jail in 2014 when I started posting and 3 jobs later I'm running the show at my current role. Wild.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I'm so proud of you

I'm drinking with you too, posting comrade.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

i thought i was being funny but not

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 17, 2022

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I've had six jobs in the time I've posted here. Might have just stumbled upon a brand new State agency building out from the ground up through a facebook friend who likes my cooking posts. She's the CIO. :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have one job you loving weirdos

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have one job you loving weirdos

In this day and age its almost like humble bragging that you were born rich.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

In this day and age its almost like humble bragging that you were born rich.

Lmao I absolutely was not. I get by comfortably on my own now and don't desire more than that. I volunteer at 3 different places so I guess I technically have 4 jobs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao I absolutely was not. I get by comfortably on my own now and don't desire more than that. I volunteer at 3 different places so I guess I technically have 4 jobs.

If I remember right, you work a union job in a country with universal healthcare. If that doesn't fit that category I don't know what does.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

i thought i was being funny but not

lol, I can only imagine how bad this was if the infamous jaegerx thought it was bad enough to edit out.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
just tested positive for COVID and my oncall starts tomorrow at 10am, please press F for me goons

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

just tested positive for COVID and my oncall starts tomorrow at 10am, please press F for me goons

gently caress that. Get someone to cover for you. Sorry and I hope you get through it quickly and painlessly

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

If I am sick, I am doing zero work. Zero, zilch, NADA. This expectation of the sick person to get someone to cover for the work they do in a corporate job is nonsense. That is what your manager is for, they can figure it out.

My wife is an administrator at a public school and their expectation is when at teacher falls ill, they are not only to transfer their lesson plans for that day but also arrange for a sub... themselves. I have looked my wife in the eyes and told her that expectation is beyond insane and she should be embarrassed. Supposedly its common. Capitalism is hosed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xzzy posted:

Oh yeah I totally forgot about that one. I spent 6 months job hunting in 2001. It worked out okay but I was gonna be on the street in 30 days at the time I got my first paycheck.

Just an endless series of interviews with no followups, ever.

That was me in 2014. The job I finally landed actually cut the rate between offer and my start date. I still took it, I knew when I was on the street otherwise. I ate poo poo at that MSP for four years, as you'd expect from someone with demonstrably zero leverage. Then a raise to move to a different group working directly for the client. A year of that and then I'm offered an FTE role making six figgies, plus bennies, bonus, and equity.

Assuming I make it to retirement here, I'll more than make up for four years of poo poo pay and poo poo treatment. I knew it was a gamble, and every day I know I got lucky.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

If I am sick, I am doing zero work. Zero, zilch, NADA. This expectation of the sick person to get someone to cover for the work they do in a corporate job is nonsense. That is what your manager is for, they can figure it out.

My wife is an administrator at a public school and their expectation is when at teacher falls ill, they are not only to transfer their lesson plans for that day but also arrange for a sub... themselves. I have looked my wife in the eyes and told her that expectation is beyond insane and she should be embarrassed. Supposedly its common. Capitalism is hosed.

You're absolutely right. It's the most basic and fundamental role of a manager.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

If I remember right, you work a union job in a country with universal healthcare. If that doesn't fit that category I don't know what does.

Ohhh, I get you now. Yeah, it's pretty sweet lol, but also something that I do recognize my privilege with. It's the norm in a lot of the world so it's not something that occurs to most of us - a majority of workers in my province are unionized. Unions rule! We're in the process of negotiating a new collective agreement right now though which is extremely annoying how long it takes.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ohhh, I get you now. Yeah, it's pretty sweet lol, but also something that I do recognize my privilege with. It's the norm in a lot of the world so it's not something that occurs to most of us - a majority of workers in my province are unionized. Unions rule! We're in the process of negotiating a new collective agreement right now though which is extremely annoying how long it takes.

Unions are an incredible force for good, and its really annoying that there is no great union option for computer touchers in Australia. You generally have to sign up to the union that covers your current company role, which means if you jump jobs, you change unions as well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Amen

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

jaegerx posted:

Is there anyone here who started posting in this thread still have the same job/company as when they first started posting?

Not including the non-IT jobs I had since I started posting trying to get into the field, I'm on number 8 in 8 years thanks to a bunch of short term contracts early on. 9 if you count the promotion I got last year but I'm counting that as one since it's the same company.

I had five jobs in my first three years thanks to those contracts, but at least whenever the question about job hopping got brought up in interviews the interviewers understood as soon as I said "fixed term contract." At this point I make more per hour at my non-profit non-IT side gig than I did until almost three years in. And the nice thing about that one is that I can be open about it with my day job because it's part time after hours work at a non-profit.

I was considering trying to unionize my department a few jobs ago but I had no idea where to start and the IBEW, which my dad is a part of, has dogshit health insurance that refuses to cover mental health care unless it's addiction-related. At least they did five years ago when I was still on the plan.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I've only changed jobs once in the last 8 years. Been in this current one going on 7yrs with no intention of leaving right now.

I get to do infrastructure stuff on industrial process networks (wood products) these days and if I left this role I'd likely have to be involved in email, telephony and the other boring bullshit parts of IT I don't ever want to deal with again. Make robot go brrr with a bunch of people on the plant floor is way more fun and rewarding and I kind of got really lucky to come into this industry right around when I did. Having minimal micromanagey crap to deal with is awesome and I have a good team to work with. When there's an objective or something that needs doing, I basically just put in a request for money with a plan to review and we go get approval to do it. No dumb nickel and diming, though I think that's partly due to the fact that when big industrial capex projects are 50MM easy for a new factory $thing my request for ~1MM or less is nothing to their eyes.

It also keeps me way more busy than any previous IT job I've ever had. Though since the environment is the best I've worked in, I feel way less burnt out than I ever did working in jobs where I was maybe 30% as engaged.

They also pay well and management isn't horrible to deal with. I've gotten like nearly 50% worth of salary increases and a pretty good bonus plan since I started.

EDIT: There is one bad part; I never got to stop flying around and going places when COVID happened which fuckin sucked. I somehow have still never tested positive for the virus yet despite traveling pretty often to some of the worst regions in the US to travel to.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 17, 2022

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

CLAM DOWN posted:

The court is in the process of smacking down some anti-union legislation by our previous government (instead of negotiating a contract, they forced one into existence via law) so I'll get a little raise and a bunch of back pay this year. Unions rule.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have public employment privilege, but I'm also sacrificing earnings potential for 3 weeks of vacation and sick leave, plus a 7.5 hour workday.

I sent a message to the hiring manager yesterday letting him know I applied for that management job and he seemed pretty excited that I did. Hopefully I'll at least get an in-person interview out of this.

Also, I have changed jobs exactly once since I started posting in this thread. If this transfer works out, then that will be twice.

Edit: when I say vacation and sick leave, I mean two separate 3 week pools. I have about 300 hours of sick leave banked lol.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Came in this morning and there's a big planning meeting going on to decide the future direction of core router upgrades. I wasn't even invited. I'm done.

e: edit annnnnnd closed door meeting with everyone but me... something's up

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 17, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Farking Bastage posted:

Unless it's your birthday, i would check if your admin accounts still works

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

So far, yes. Sgt. scumbag is just shutting me out harder.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

i am a moron posted:

Im getting offered for this supposed 350-500k job, looking at Glassdoor I think I might have gotten bamboozled by a recruiter but gently caress me if they weren’t all the happiest people and have all been there ~10 years. I know some folks who have made the transition from presales to sales and ngl I kinda want to do blow at sporting events and run the tab up at the golf course on bourbon trying to land that deal

We had an ERP sales guy gives us all free passes to their big conference. The first night he rented a group of us a party bus and we went to a liquor store then a bunch of strip clubs. Don't think he bought any blow, though. Best part was him having to pay like $1100 to get the Canadians out of the private room when we tried to leave.

We bought the system.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

Came in this morning and there's a big planning meeting going on to decide the future direction of core router upgrades. I wasn't even invited. I'm done.

You either make too much money or you have gone too hard in the paint in recent months.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Farking Bastage posted:

Farking Bastage, thank you for your input. We're going with Ubiquiti. Can you set it all up by next Monday?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I have public employment privilege, but I'm also sacrificing earnings potential for 3 weeks of vacation and sick leave, plus a 7.5 hour workday.

Oh totally. I completely get and accept as a public servant I have limited my earning potential. I've turned down recruiters, various private sector stuff, Amazon, etc, (who absolutely love that I have "DevSecOps" in my linkedin) because I refuse to work places like that anymore. I get amazing benefits, a union, a defined benefit pension, unbeatable work/life balance, no ethical qualms about my work, so I will happily accept a lower cash income potential as a result.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I just turned down an interview at google because its hybrid (3 days in office) plus a rotating on call schedule. If you had told me that 5 years ago I would said NO to that, I would have laughed in your face.

Right now I'm fully remote, M-F 8-5 and no weekends or oncall bullshit.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i started reading this thread in elementary school and i still want an IT job

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

tokin opposition posted:

i started reading this thread in elementary school and i still want an IT job

Thist post made me crumble into dust.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Farking Bastage posted:

So far, yes. Sgt. scumbag is just shutting me out harder.

Might be a silly question but why doesn’t he just fire you? Is he that big of an rear end in a top hat that he’s happy making you miserable?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

jaegerx posted:

I have since escaped MSP hell and moved to much more reasonable things since my first post in here.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Might be a silly question but why doesn’t he just fire you? Is he that big of an rear end in a top hat that he’s happy making you miserable?

Municipal government entity so the barrier to outright fire someone with cause is pretty high. He has tried a number of times. I also found out through people other than my chain of command that everyone was exposed to covid this week by a vendor and no contact tracing has been done. I brought that matter up with the head of health and safety.

I am convinced that I am having a PTSD-like reaction to this man after years of similar abuse. When that meeting room door closed this morning, I had a physical fight or flight response.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 17, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zil posted:

Thist post made me crumble into dust.

Who knows what’s an ironypost or not though these days, right?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
100% sincere

give me a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there's a yospos poster that was born after 9/11