Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Space planes were plenty effective in the shows where main characters use them.

Eh... I mean, Amuro got some kills, but he was still doing much less work than in the Gundam. It was basically a stopgap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Eh... I mean, Amuro got some kills, but he was still doing much less work than in the Gundam. It was basically a stopgap.

On the other hang Sayla got a shocking amount of kills in the G-Fighter.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

didn't one of seed's jets have a big ol sword slapped on it?? that ruled in srw j

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booky posted:

didn't one of seed's jets have a big ol sword slapped on it?? that ruled in srw j

The Skygrasper was basically the proto Impulse Flyer. The intended purpose was to deliver new packs (and thus battery refreshes) to Strike because it was literally the battery shooting support jet from Dendoh with a new paint job. However I think it does that all of once and the rest of the time Mu and occasionally Cagalli just use the weapons on the pack themselves.

A lot of SEED's design decisions are basically born from taking Dendoh's basic concept and slapping it into a military robot series.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

The Impulse being a combiner is actually fairly sensible for the role it is supposed to have. As long as it has carrier support it can functional basically forever without breaking any treaties and as long as your pilot can avoid getting cockpit shot you can just keep coming back from the fight. EU stuff also points towards different leg/body configurations for different environments as well.

I think the issue isn't "the Impulse shouldn't be a combiner", it's "there's no reason for the Impulse to launch as the core fighter and then combine in mid-air(and wastefully drop components off the core fighter) all the time". The vast majority of the time it could just launch as a combined unit and then swap parts mid-mission as necessary.

chiasaur11 posted:

Even then, you'd be better off with Strike style striker packs. You'd be at basic levels of functionality as long as the battery holds out, instead of having to risk losing your legs and arms at any time. Ignoring the possibility of wireless power from the main ship (because SEED's techbase is incoherent) you'd still get the same flexibility and refueling, but with less space used up on the transport, and less money spent on the one prototype. (Bonus: You'd be able to use the packs with the ZAKUs.)

As for the "unless you get cockpit shot", if MS couldn't tag fighters, then fighters would be the dominant force on the battlefield. Generally, getting stuck in a core fighter is a sign to bail or die, not some leap to invincibility.

The wireless power recharge was the main purpose of the Minerva, though. That was meant to be the big technological innovation, with the Impulse just being one of a whole new series of specialized Gundams rather than the centerpiece. The Impulse in particular is basically a crazy endurance robot - it's got theoretically infinite power and it's functionally immune to any crippling damage that doesn't outright kill it or disable the pilot as long as the mothership's supply of silhouettes holds out.

Honestly, I'd say the Impulse would make the most sense if you were building an entire squad of them and deploying them to a ship like the Minerva. If the Minerva is deploying like four Impulses it makes a lot more sense for it to be spending space on silhouettes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I think the issue isn't "the Impulse shouldn't be a combiner", it's "there's no reason for the Impulse to launch as the core fighter and then combine in mid-air(and wastefully drop components off the core fighter) all the time". The vast majority of the time it could just launch as a combined unit and then swap parts mid-mission as necessary.

The wireless power recharge was the main purpose of the Minerva, though. That was meant to be the big technological innovation, with the Impulse just being one of a whole new series of specialized Gundams rather than the centerpiece. The Impulse in particular is basically a crazy endurance robot - it's got theoretically infinite power and it's functionally immune to any crippling damage that doesn't outright kill it or disable the pilot as long as the mothership's supply of silhouettes holds out.

Honestly, I'd say the Impulse would make the most sense if you were building an entire squad of them and deploying them to a ship like the Minerva. If the Minerva is deploying like four Impulses it makes a lot more sense for it to be spending space on silhouettes.

That was probably the actual end goal considering there are variant Impulses for Gaia/Abyss/Chaos and there's even the Destiny Impulse. It's just that they got their poo poo stolen and then were knee deep in a war.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
impulse is a great design if pilot fatigue is no longer a factor. and in gundam, that's often true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

impulse is a great design if pilot fatigue is no longer a factor. and in gundam, that's often true.

Well even beyond the normal Gundam "people don't get tired anywhere as easy" every single person intended to pilot it is a genetic superhuman.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

It's a reduced factor, but most of the shows have it still be relevant sometimes. 00 had the big battle in season 1 eventually exhaust the protagonists to the point they couldn't keep fighting, and both IBO and the UC have scenes in the big fights where the pilots go back to the ship to rearm, drink some juice, maybe eat a little, and recover.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Thanks for linking this, this was what I had in mind, except her Gundam needs to be the one holding the bread in its mouthpiece instead. :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It's a reduced factor, but most of the shows have it still be relevant sometimes. 00 had the big battle in season 1 eventually exhaust the protagonists to the point they couldn't keep fighting, and both IBO and the UC have scenes in the big fights where the pilots go back to the ship to rearm, drink some juice, maybe eat a little, and recover.

0083 has kou doing amphetamines to stay combat ready

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Stairmaster posted:

0083 has kou doing amphetamines to stay combat ready

and UC has Char doing then just for fun

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"What the gently caress, Tieria is telling jokes?"

COME ON. JUST LET SAJI GO HOME. PLEASE.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 19, 2022

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Waffleman_ posted:

COME ON. JUST LET SAJI GO HOME. PLEASE.

That seems like a great idea. I'm sure the super-cops will accept his explanation that he's not involved in treason and is merely the victim of happenstance, just like they did the first time, and will trust him not to tell anyone about their squadrons of merciless killbots.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The boy is having a hard time of it right now! He needs a nap!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Saji wanting to get away from Celestial Being in S2 is possibly one of his stupider character traits. Yes, he has no particular reason to trust them. Yes, he might think they have something to do with his life falling apart. But he starts the series working in a slave prisoner camp despite having done nothing wrong, and A-LAWS proves immediately that they're more than willing to massacre people - including him - for no reason at all.

Where else does he plan to go, exactly? If he wants to commit suicide there's a lot of much faster ways to do it.

It would be a lot more believable for him to want to get the gently caress out of CB's clutches if the "Saji in a prison camp" thing never happened and his options were "trust CB" or "trust A-LAWS" without already knowing the latter are turbo evil.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 19, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean people like that don't tend to act with perfect rationality in such situations

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean people like that don't tend to act with perfect rationality in such situations

Not immediately, but most people reach the point of realizing how they should try to keep their heads down after a prison break within a few days of cooldown.

Saji, meanwhile, is very angry at the people who rescued him, and not particularly bothered over the "enslaved and nearly murdered" thing.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Season 2 Saji is awful

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s been forever since I watched but doesn’t he still think CB murdered his sister at that point? In fact does he ever actually learn Ali did it?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

galagazombie posted:

It’s been forever since I watched but doesn’t he still think CB murdered his sister at that point? In fact does he ever actually learn Ali did it?

Nena, not Ali, and I believe he is eventually told the Thrones "weren't really Celestial Being," yes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

If it was a spur of the moment thing, yeah, absolutely. But Saji is rescued from 100% certain death from A-LAWS by CB, then spends weeks with CB seeing and helping them fight the turbo-fash and sees A-LAWS do more evil poo poo, and he's still a moron.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Nena, not Ali, and I believe he is eventually told the Thrones "weren't really Celestial Being," yes.

Nena didn't kill Saji's sister, she killed Louise's family at the wedding. Ali murdered Saji's sister for being a reporter who was digging too deep about Alejandro Corner/Ribbons.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 19, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
saji was a moron in s1 too it just didn't matter much.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dude just doesn't have it in him to be a combatant but effectively doesn't have a choice given the lack of manpower in CB.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argas posted:

Dude just doesn't have it in him to be a combatant but effectively doesn't have a choice given the lack of manpower in CB.

Truly CB couldn't find anyone else to sit in a backpack and cry.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ImpAtom posted:

Well, Allelujah is already busy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I blame the A-Laws forcing all of humanity to play baseball.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

Well, they were trying with SoMarie. She put up admiral resistance, but even Allelujah "battery" Haptism was more relevant than her despite her best efforts.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh hey Nena got some shoulder pads. Could take an eye out with those.

E: Oh wait, so that girl IS Louise. She got her hand back!

E2: :catstare:

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 20, 2022

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

You are going to like episode 11 and 12.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

By god, that's Regene's music!

Ooh, the dress one is next

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 20, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

6 episodes in and Victory Gundam is still good

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lotta peeps don't like them skipping around in media res at the start, but it never bothered me. And having them moving the suits on flatbeds gave it this cool guerilla feel at the start

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

The first episode is only like a few hours after the start of the story. If it had started in like the middle I would have a problem yeah.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

The first episode is only like a few hours after the start of the story. If it had started in like the middle I would have a problem yeah.

That's part of the problem. Gurren Lagann starting with a (false) timeskip showed off some major stakes for later and hinted at a wider setting even when it was still underground. Victory Gundam, meanwhile, just showed that there'd be a Gundam while ruining the flow of events.

It doesn't increase the tension, or add dramatic irony, or otherwise add anything to those earlier episodes like you get with Breaking Bad's flashforwards. It's just trying to move the toys because that's what the sponsor demanded.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Without the skip it would've been nothing but a rehash of the first episode of 0079. Personally, I would've shut it off out of boredom.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

Without the skip it would've been nothing but a rehash of the first episode of 0079. Personally, I would've shut it off out of boredom.

But then they go back, and you get the first episode of 0079 rehashed as the second episode. I have trouble seeing how that's an improvement.

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The start of victory is weird and clunky and I think it makes it worse overall but it's not the biggest deal ever.

I can't wait for fresh reactions to the stuff that happens in victory, it's going to be amazing.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Watching one of the OP's has reminded me of another thing that bugs me about SEED, the "female crew wear pink uniforms."

I can almost understand how that was a thing in 1979, but how the hell did it pass the smell test in 2002?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Watching one of the OP's has reminded me of another thing that bugs me about SEED, the "female crew wear pink uniforms."

I can almost understand how that was a thing in 1979, but how the hell did it pass the smell test in 2002?