Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

i started reading this thread in elementary school and i still want an IT job

at least you'll be going into it with your eyes open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

there's a yospos poster that was born after 9/11

ugh

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My boss has put in his resignation. That now makes the entire C Suite gone since this private equity group came in a year and a half ago. This place was already in a slow death spiral and I’ve been looking for an out but man this makes me need to leave all the sooner. Sucks.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it's fine

communities stagnate and fail without new members coming in

we need to adapt to new people and do our best to make sure they don't make the same mistakes we did

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

it's fine

communities stagnate and fail without new members coming in

we need to adapt to new people and do our best to make sure they don't make the same mistakes we did

they're posting in yospos so we clearly have failed lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I post in yospos :colbert:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

George H.W. oval office posted:

My boss has put in his resignation. That now makes the entire C Suite gone since this private equity group came in a year and a half ago. This place was already in a slow death spiral and I’ve been looking for an out but man this makes me need to leave all the sooner. Sucks.

They got their retention bonus, their equity cash out, and the last drip of whatever in their pocket before they left. That is an executives goal after all.

The private equity group that bought your company also has some goals and those goals should have made you want to leave a long time ago.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
There's a phrase I've been known to use when in malicious compliance/I've had enough of your poo poo mode. "When I gently caress ya, You'll know it." I had a lovely meeting with a very nice lady from Health and Safety today, and I think everything is going to be ok for me.

edit: it is amazingly difficult to express workplace frustration without it sounding like the next manifesto on the news.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sickening posted:

They got their retention bonus, their equity cash out, and the last drip of whatever in their pocket before they left. That is an executives goal after all.

The private equity group that bought your company also has some goals and those goals should have made you want to leave a long time ago.

I made the mistake of coming in post purchase because the title and pay was too good to pass up. It had been fine but this past holiday season was a real poo poo show and they showed their whole rear end; Barely scraping by, prioritizing what vendors to pay and letting other bills lapse for months before we throw scraps to hold off the default and service cancelation. Real poor people poo poo. It’s slowly getting better but woof what a rough few months it was.

I had to lay off one and they cut his pay a few months ago. I feel like there isn’t some great package waiting for him on his way out. He’s close to retirement so maybe just retires early and says gently caress the stress.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Farking Bastage posted:

There's a phrase I've been known to use when in malicious compliance/I've had enough of your poo poo mode. "When I gently caress ya, You'll know it." I had a lovely meeting with a very nice lady from Health and Safety today, and I think everything is going to be ok for me.

edit: it is amazingly difficult to express workplace frustration without it sounding like the next manifesto on the news.

Glad to hear they can’t outright fire you. A bad manager can make your life (even outside of work) miserable even without actively trying. If they are set to gently caress you over, it can be hell on earth.

I hope everything works out well for you.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

My new favorite ticket came in today:

“I wasn’t paying attention when saving a [PERMANENT ELECTRONIC RECORD THAT IS LEGALLY BINDING AFTER YOU SIGN IT] and added my password to the end of the file name, then signed it. Is there any way to remove it?”

Sorry bud, your password belongs to the audit trail now.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

there's a yospos poster that was born after 9/11

People born after 9/11 will be old enough to drink in the US in a few months.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Sickening posted:

First part, yes. Second part really depends on who, not all PE firms have the same goals. Best company I’ve ever worked for is owned by private equity, there’s a ton of money being pumped in for an eventual sale to some megacorp

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

n0tqu1tesane posted:

People born after 9/11 will be old enough to drink in the US in a few months.

How many years did people born on 9/11 not get birthday parties for? Like in 2004 would someone putting balloons up and having people over on September 11 be enough to piss off particularly lovely neighbours?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I mean, were I a parent in that situation I would just celebrate the birthday on different day?

It already happens all the time for kids with birthdays M-F

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The Fool posted:

I post in yospos :colbert:

Name and comment

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I wonder what people born 1 Jan 1970 think of unix time

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

i am a moron posted:

First part, yes. Second part really depends on who, not all PE firms have the same goals. Best company I’ve ever worked for is owned by private equity, there’s a ton of money being pumped in for an eventual sale to some megacorp

its literally the same goals

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Don't be mad, the Dangan Ronpa lp thread introduced a lot of young people to the forums. It's the young people who should be livid.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
All my peers got on instagram and reddit and tiktok, and I'm sitting here trying to explain somethingawful, "They invented Slenderman, no slenderman isn't real, they're the marble hornets guys, no they inve- listen, no gently caress Do you know getfiscal? Please stop laughing at me."

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'm too young for SA but I've been on the internet to a goonish degree since I was three so it kinda just worked out.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

as the parent of a 6 year old, the idea of a 3 year old on the internet is hilarious

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It would explain the internet's general posting quality.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Couch Chat 2002: Why can't we be F·R·I·E·N·D·S

BarneyBlows posted:

All I'm saying is that Seasame has taken a serious down turn since they added the Mr. Noodle Segments, I've been watching for 3 years, and I adored it when the flashing colors and lights used to be enough, but now I have to watch a discount Charlie Chaplin with a Ron Jeremy Mustache do his best Mr. Bean impression? Please, couldn't we have had the excellent Elmo World's segment without this? Anyways, Big bird is still amazing, and while I enjoy him, his segments with snuffleupagus haunt my dreams.

0 binkies / 10

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I probably said this yesterday, but I got notified that I made it past the initial screen and my application was forwarded to the hiring manager for review. So that's some good news.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its literally the same goals

It’s literally not unless you’re going to throw it under such a huge umbrella that publicly traded companies are in there as well since they want to sell shares too

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Vargatron posted:

I probably said this yesterday, but I got notified that I made it past the initial screen and my application was forwarded to the hiring manager for review. So that's some good news.

Congrats! :yotj:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

tokin opposition posted:

i started reading this thread in elementary school and i still want an IT job

It's not the fact that you want an IT job, it's the fact that now I feel ancient. Like when someone says World War I is as far away from 1970 as we are now...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kensei posted:

It's not the fact that you want an IT job, it's the fact that now I feel ancient. Like when someone says World War I is as far away from 1970 as we are now...

I have no internal concept of how long ago either of those things are so they are both mentally filed as "old stuff that probably happened in black and white" except the 70s is also filed in the "sex and drugs" bucket while WWI is also filed in the "old school poo poo I don't care about" bucket.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

i am a moron posted:

It’s literally not unless you’re going to throw it under such a huge umbrella that publicly traded companies are in there as well since they want to sell shares too

the dream of every bunch of private equity people is to get bought out by someone larger, get a gigantic payday, and start it all over again

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the dream of every bunch of private equity people is to get bought out by someone larger, get a gigantic payday, and start it all over again

It’s not, there are much worse PE firms to be owned by then folks juicing for a sale.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

i am a moron posted:

Yo I'd be happy to help but I also feel like I've already gone a bit too far with making it easy to identify me with stuff I've posted.

I have this alias email account set up which should be private enough:

mythic-entente-0w@icloud.com

Either shoot me a sanitized resume or a non sanitized one or contact info so I can look you up on LinkedIn or something. More than happy to help.

Sorry the delay. I just sent you a mail along with some messages to Internet Explorer and Happiness Commando. Anything helps. Thanks!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I had a simple task to walk down to the campus athletic center to collect some unneeded Wireless Access Points. The van for use on campus wasnt running so it was just a matter of rolling a cart down behind me. A student worker asked to come with; hes a weird dude, but Im always happy to have an extra set of hands.

Its 89F out with a nice breeze. Its about a quarter mile walk down to the athletic center, and the student worker is a heavy-set guy. Before we leave, I recommend to him to fill his water bottle and bring it but he says its fine.

Halfway to the other building, he stops and loudly asks "CAN WE GO BACK?", obviously tired. I tell him he can, I dont mind finishing up. He says he will come still.

I am at the doors of the athletic center and hes nowhere to be seen. I assume he turned back but thats ok.

So I find my contact down there and have both wireless points in the cart with their mounting poles. I am heading out the door and student worker comes in and says "Sorry about that, I passed out from the heat."

So I immediately ask him if he was hurt or hit his head, and stress that thats a serious incident. He says no and offers to pull the cart back, I tell him absolutely not and to hydrate over at the vending machine and I will contact the director ASAP.

I hustle down to IT to let the boss know and he calls up to the athletic department to have someone check on him, etc. Ten minutes later, Im back doing stuff and department director comes by and thanks me for watching out for the guy. He tells me he reviewed security footage and that he saw me enter the athletic center etc, and then went to the camera watching the path up, and he saw the other guy. After about the "CAN WE GO BACK?" point, he stopped for a few seconds, then after Id proceeded he walked over to a tree in the shade, sat down, and just messed around on his phone He never passed out, nor was he at risk as claimed. It was amazing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So talking to my boss and it seems that he's just fed up with the lovely leadership of the PE group and is simply leaving because his mental health and the value he feels he brings is more important. Even in the C Suite they quit managers and not jobs. Weird. I wholeheartedly agree with his take and I hope to follow him in the future because he was pretty fuckin good to work for. He had similar praise for me and mentioned "I hope our paths cross very soon." For now he's gonna finish his MBA (wtf he's 55) that he was doing along side his son and take it easy. In the mean time I guess we'll see wtf happens around here while I look for an exit.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Why is powershells background blue?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

It subconsciously causes computers users to feel fear and caution while using it after years of seeing bsods

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's a call back to Word Perfect on DOS.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Blue shells are the most powerful.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

nielsm posted:

It's a call back to Word Perfect on DOS.

I thought they were just caching colors for when your lovely code caused a BSOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

jaegerx posted:

I wanted to learn Powershell. I really did. But nearly every tutorial spends the first 20 minutes on how to make the UI easier to use and read. It reminded me too much of trying to learn Java using Eclipse.