Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Anything by London" includes stuff that an 8-year-old would definitely not enjoy no matter what.
Its me, the kid that had a school assignment to read To Build a Fire

Guess I was 9 not 8 but kids aren't made of sugar, you'd be surprised what they can take. But fair point, I was mostly thinking of the classics and not descriptions of the seedy dark sides of old San Francisco.

Speaking of which, that was around the age I read a lot of R. L. Stevenson and H. C. Andersson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LLSix posted:

I greatly enjoyed the Dark is Rising and a copy of the series still has a proud place on my bookshelf 20 years later, but the recommended reading level for it is more in the 11-12 years range. I'd maybe recommend holding off on that for a few years.

Huh, I Googled it and got 8-12.

E: I wonder if Tam Sventon and Agaton Sax books would interest someone that age. I think I was around 7 or 8 when I read them and liked them. But then I liked detective stories in general. Very quick reads.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 13, 2022

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Huh, I Googled it and got 8-12.

E: I wonder if Tam Sventon and Agaton Sax books would interest someone that age. I think I was around 7 or 8 when I read them and liked them. But then I liked detective stories in general. Very quick reads.

Classics for that age are tricky, my kids loved Emil, but not Moomintroll, they found Enid Blyton boring, but couldn't get enough of William (but only the audio books, I wasn't allowed to try to read them myself).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yaffle posted:

Classics for that age are tricky, my kids loved Emil, but not Moomintroll, they found Enid Blyton boring, but couldn't get enough of William (but only the audio books, I wasn't allowed to try to read them myself).

Well, Enid Blyton IS really boring.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well, Enid Blyton IS really boring.

Well I really liked her when I was a kid :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yaffle posted:

Personally I don't find mukbang appealing, but to each their own vOv

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

yaffle posted:

Not empty quoting

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm trying to remember what I was reading around age 8. At some point I transitioned from stuff like Sideways Stories from Wayside School to Animorphs and in retrospect that feels like a big gap in terms of type of book but I can't recall what I read between. I'll happily defend both of those sets of books though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I started reading A Series of Unfortunate Events at that age.

The Warrior books and Rick Riordan books were super popular with the elementary kids I tutored.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Do kids still read Matt Christopher sports books or nah

E: that was probably more around 4th-5th grade though

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tulip posted:

I'm trying to remember what I was reading around age 8. At some point I transitioned from stuff like Sideways Stories from Wayside School to Animorphs and in retrospect that feels like a big gap in terms of type of book but I can't recall what I read between. I'll happily defend both of those sets of books though.

Personally I had about a year of the abridged children's version of classics (I forget what they're called) and weird stuff like Tom swift and hardy boys between those.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Captain Monkey posted:

Personally I had about a year of the abridged children's version of classics (I forget what they're called) and weird stuff like Tom swift and hardy boys between those.

Yeah in that age range I pretty much wore the covers off the Bobbsey twins, Tom Sawyer, Heidi, and The Swiss Family Robinson.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Holes

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Captain Monkey posted:

oh poo poo yeah I remember now reading a book called "Ulysses" that was basically an abridged, SFW Odyssey.

Same author as Sideways Stories and much more of a book than a series of cutesy short stories.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Captain Monkey posted:

Great Illustrated Classics probably. I started reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer with my 6yo daughter because I also had a bunch of those books at my parents' house still that I finally took home. I got to the chapter where Injun Joe kills Doc Robinson and then frames Muff Potter. I realized that maybe she's a little too young for that one yet, so we stopped. There are some adult themes in there - not to mention that it's very "of its time" with its racial stereotypes and corporal punishment of children.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 13, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tulip posted:

oh poo poo yeah I remember now reading a book called "Ulysses" that was basically an abridged, SFW Odyssey.

Similarly, as a kid I was in love with my abridged copy of Arabian Nights. Seeing the illustrations next to the stories really got me into literature as an art form.

https://www.amazon.com/Arabian-Nights-Their-Best-Known-Tales/dp/0684195895

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Great Illustrated Classics probably. I started reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer with my 6yo daughter because I also had a bunch of those books at my parents' house still that I finally took home. I got to the chapter where Injun Joe kills Doc Robinson and then frames Muff Potter. I realized that maybe she's a little too young for that one yet, so we stopped. There are some adult themes in there - not to mention that it's very "of its time" with its racial stereotypes and corporal punishment of children.

Yeah!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Tulip posted:

Yo do you happen to know the author for this? I remember reading it in 4th grade back in like 1990 and loved it as a kid. That and the D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths were incredible.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Eason the Fifth posted:

Yo do you happen to know the author for this? I remember reading it in 4th grade back in like 1990 and loved it as a kid. That and the D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths were incredible.

I spent 30s on it and was confronted by my titanic inadequacy to separate that out from Joyce's Ulysses.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Tulip posted:

I spent 30s on it and was confronted by my titanic inadequacy to separate that out from Joyce's Ulysses.

Lol same

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I think you are referring to The Adventures of Ulysses by Bernard Evslin. That's the one I remember reading as a kid.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I think you are referring to The Adventures of Ulysses by Bernard Evslin. That's the one I remember reading as a kid.

Goddamn, good work, that's the cover I remember from my youth.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Eason the Fifth posted:

The Rosemary Sutcliff Odysseus is very good, nicely illustrated by Alan Lee.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I want anthropology books studying industrialized societies. I have a number of books that are in the ballpark, but are not written by trained anthropologists.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wish I knew what baron munchausen book grandma had for me as a child

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

FPyat posted:

I want anthropology books studying industrialized societies. I have a number of books that are in the ballpark, but are not written by trained anthropologists.

Just looking at my bookshelf (I got my BA in Anthropology two years ago and kept all my books) there's After the Rescue: Jewish Identity and Community in Contemporary Denmark by Andrew Buckner, Voyages: From Tongan Villages to American Suburbs by Cathy A. Small, Fields of Wheat, Hills of Blood by Anastasia N. Karakasidou, After Revolution: Mapping Gender and Cultural Politics in Neoliberal Nicaragua by Florence E. Babb, Many Tongues, One People: The Making of Tharu Identity in Nepal by Arjun Guneratne, The Hold Life Has: Coca and Cultural Identity in an Andean Community by Catherine J. Allen, and The People of the Sierra by Julian Pitt-Rivers. Bear in mind that "studying industrialized societies" is incredibly broad; given the modern global economy just about any contemporary society you'll be looking at will be industrialized to some extent, and you'll likely want to narrow your search to a particular issue or subculture within a broader society which interests you. For instance, one of my professors did his dissertation on Quakers in Scotland; two other books I have similarly look at subsets of American society: Liquidated: An Ethnography of Wall Street by Karen Ho and Of Two Minds: An Anthropologist Looks at American Psychiatry by T. M Luhrmann. More general, overarching ethnographies attempting to cover the entire breadth of a society are terribly passé nowadays, and you probably won't find any such books covering modern, complex societies.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Meaty Ore posted:

Just looking at my bookshelf (I got my BA in Anthropology two years ago and kept all my books) there's After the Rescue: Jewish Identity and Community in Contemporary Denmark by Andrew Buckner, Voyages: From Tongan Villages to American Suburbs by Cathy A. Small, Fields of Wheat, Hills of Blood by Anastasia N. Karakasidou, After Revolution: Mapping Gender and Cultural Politics in Neoliberal Nicaragua by Florence E. Babb, Many Tongues, One People: The Making of Tharu Identity in Nepal by Arjun Guneratne, The Hold Life Has: Coca and Cultural Identity in an Andean Community by Catherine J. Allen, and The People of the Sierra by Julian Pitt-Rivers. Bear in mind that "studying industrialized societies" is incredibly broad; given the modern global economy just about any contemporary society you'll be looking at will be industrialized to some extent, and you'll likely want to narrow your search to a particular issue or subculture within a broader society which interests you. For instance, one of my professors did his dissertation on Quakers in Scotland; two other books I have similarly look at subsets of American society: Liquidated: An Ethnography of Wall Street by Karen Ho and Of Two Minds: An Anthropologist Looks at American Psychiatry by T. M Luhrmann. More general, overarching ethnographies attempting to cover the entire breadth of a society are terribly passé nowadays, and you probably won't find any such books covering modern, complex societies.

Thank you very much. If I would narrow it down, the US and South Korea are the countries that are of the most personal relevance to me. Some of the books on my shelf that are the kind of non-anthropological study that are of interest to me are Working by Studs Terkel, the memoirs of China written by Peter Hessler, and In America: Travels with John Steinbeck by Geert Mak. I guess what I'm getting is that anthropology is in the popular imagination associated with finding lurid details about "exotic" peoples, and I would rather see that lens turned upon the familiar.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 16, 2022

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

FPyat posted:

Thank you very much. If I would narrow it down, the US and South Korea are the countries that are of the most personal relevance to me. Some of the books on my shelf that are the kind of non-anthropological study that are of interest to me are Working by Studs Terkel, the memoirs of China written by Peter Hessler, and In America: Travels with John Steinbeck by Geert Mak. I guess what I'm getting is that anthropology is in the popular imagination associated with finding lurid details about "exotic" peoples, and I would rather see that lens turned upon the familiar.

Forget the lurid details, it's the mundane ones we're really after! :haw:

Seriously, there's been a big shift away from that sort of study of late, particularly over the past few decades--the criticisms of Edward Said and others (particularly from those within the field itself) have been well taken. As far as US-focused works are concerned, those latter two books about Wall Street and psychiatry are decent (my personal preference is for the latter of the two), and of course there's Sweetness and Power by Sidney Mintz, which is about the sugar trade and is a classic for good reason. I'd also look into the Foxfire journal and book compilations, which are about Appalachian folkways. They're not by anthropologists strictly speaking, but I'd say the work they do is definitely anthropological/ethnographic in nature. I can't say I'm familiar with much of anything about South Korea, however; I don't think any courses focusing on Korean culture were even offered while I was still in school.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 16, 2022

Dysthymia
May 13, 2022
Hello everyone!

In the last few years, my politics have drifted from standard American liberalism to being more leftist. Specifically, I have become more conscious of how corporate interests influence the media, politicians, and social movements.

I’m looking for introductory progressive/leftist texts. Ideally, they would be contemporary (w/n 20 years) and pretty accessible (I don’t want to read something that’s at a graduate level). It’s important that what I read is factual and intellectually honest (no tolerance for conspiracies or alternative histories).

Thanks!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Eventually you're gonna read Capital and Conquest of Bread or you'll be lost constantly in conversations, but for stuff that's more recent I can't think of a better start than Capitalist Realism. It's pretty easy to read, very powerful, and most people on the left have read it and reference it.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Tulip posted:

Capitalist Realism.

100% this.

If you're interested in understanding modern political economy I'd also recommend A Brief History of Neoliberalism.

Dysthymia
May 13, 2022

Tulip posted:

Eventually you're gonna read Capital and Conquest of Bread or you'll be lost constantly in conversations, but for stuff that's more recent I can't think of a better start than Capitalist Realism. It's pretty easy to read, very powerful, and most people on the left have read it and reference it.

Thanks! I’ll put Capitalist Realism on my shortlist and keep the other two in mind for later.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dysthymia posted:

Thanks! I’ll put Capitalist Realism on my shortlist and keep the other two in mind for later.

If you're looking for more core stuff Here is an online collection

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The short/illustrated version of Das Kapital?

e: well it might be a few years of date

It’s not a book, but you could grab a subscription to Jacobin magazine for some contemporary op-eds. It’s like if the economist was run by marxists.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 18, 2022

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

It’s not a book, but you could grab a subscription to Jacobin magazine for some contemporary op-eds. It’s like if the economist was run by marxists.

lol

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Can someone recommend a book that just explains how everyday poo poo works? I've just ordered the nat geo "big book of why" for my son, and I'd love something similar for myself. Could be focused on scientific questions, or focused on how everyday social institutions function, or anything really. I consider myself pretty well read, but i think i'd draw a blank if asked to explain how aeroplanes fly or how credit cards work.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Not a book but the How Stuff Works podcast is pretty much exactly that. Might be a useful for your commute in addition to books.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Blurred posted:

Can someone recommend a book that just explains how everyday poo poo works? I've just ordered the nat geo "big book of why" for my son, and I'd love something similar for myself. Could be focused on scientific questions, or focused on how everyday social institutions function, or anything really. I consider myself pretty well read, but i think i'd draw a blank if asked to explain how aeroplanes fly or how credit cards work.

How to Invent Everything isn’t exactly that but the conceit is that it’s a guide book for a time traveler who gets stranded at some point in the past in order to reinvent all of our modern conveniences. It’s pretty neat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Blurred posted:

This is basically the first big title that did that:

https://www.amazon.com/Way-Things-Work-David-Macaulay/dp/0395428572

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

God drat did I read the poo poo out of this as a kid