Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Saw a reddit post of someone who plays this game using an arcade stick and I bet that's really fun, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So uh, bit of a 20 minutes till dawn bug... unlocked summon buffs persist through you dying and starting a new game within the same session. Or something. Long story short my ghost friend is shooting five bullets at level 1 and my shadow clone is a whirling death dervish.

e:
https://i.imgur.com/8OU0Q6b.mp4

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 18, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You can kill a tree. It takes tens of thousands of damage.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 18, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the correct amount of garlic is still definitely 0, right

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Splicer posted:

You can kill a tree. It takes tens of thousands of damage.

Or four freeze shots.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Captain Foo posted:

Garlic is about choosing to sacrifice late game damage by making your first 10 minutes easier. If you have multiple experiences in a row where you keep dying to swarms of low health monsters, then you either (a) need to get smarter/luckier with your choice of upgrades, or (b) pick garlic.

...in Vampire Survivors. I'm not familiar with how garlic functions in similar games :v:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Captain Foo posted:

Just like in real life, the correct amount of garlic is "as much as possible". It makes the early game very easy and manageable, and when combined with other AoE weapons, its evolved form makes the endgame trivially easy.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I used to be pro-Garlic but there are so many better options now.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

this genre is clearly called "auto-shooty pick up looty"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mierenneuker posted:

Garlic is about choosing to sacrifice late game damage by making your first 10 minutes easier. If you have multiple experiences in a row where you keep dying to swarms of low health monsters, then you either (a) need to get smarter/luckier with your choice of upgrades, or (b) pick garlic.

...in Vampire Survivors. I'm not familiar with how garlic functions in similar games :v:

ok yeah that tracks, wasn't sure if some new tech had come out for endgame stuff

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

20MtD got an update.

quote:

Balance Changes

Currently on-hit elemental builds are the easiest to clear the game with, while pure gun builds aren't doing so well. I've made some balance adjustments to hopefully make more build viable at clearing the game. I've also reworked the crossbow and fire cannon to hopefully make them more unique. There will be more balance changes to come in the future, as well as new upgrade perks, characters, and weapons, so stay tuned for that.

Weapons
Crossbow: Changed passive to - Hold the shoot button to charge. Charging gives more damage and piercing to your bullets.
Fire Cannon: Reworked to behave like a continuously firing, short range flamethrower.
Batgun: Damage increased from 6 to 8. Bounce +1
Dual SMGs: Time to reload changed from 2.5 seconds to 2 seconds. Max ammo reduced from 32 to 24.
Grenade Launcher: Damage increase from 45 to 60. Time for grenades to explode shortened.

Characters
Hina dash damage increased to 3x bullet damage.

Upgrade Perks
Electro Mage: Lightning now strikes enemy closest to your cursor.
Glare: Damage increased from 5 to 25
Dragon: Pierce +1
Powershot: Damage increased to from 25% to 35%
Bigshot: Damage increased from 35% to 45%
Fresh Clip: Damage after reloading increased from 30% to 50%
Firestarter: Launches a fireball every 5th attack instead of every 4th
Frostbite: Damage reduced from 35% to 15% of enemy max HP
Shatter: Damage reduced from 25% to 10% of enemy max HP

Enemies
HP of enemies from 10 minutes to 18 minutes reduced for a smoother difficulty ramp.
Increased how often Shoggoth (laser eye boss) attacks.

Fixes

Fixed a bug with Sight Magic not applying all on-hit effects
Fixed a bug that would cause a gun to keep reloading non-stop if canceling out of it with Hina's Dash, which effectively gave the player infinite ammo.
Fixed a bug that caused Trees to do 0 damage to the player.
Fixed a bug where if Guardian activated off of one of Lilith's spirits, it would cause spirits, bullets, and enemies to stop moving.
Fixed a bug that would cause the game to crash if Guardian activated off of Hina's shadow clone.
Fixed a bug with Hina's Enhanced Shadow not increasing her shadow clone's attack speed

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

robot roll call posted:

this genre is clearly called "auto-shooty pick up looty"

drat, that's way better what I came up with.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I enjoy 20MTD but it does feel like every build ends up the same. Also wish the darkness points did major differences instead of just damage/life/speed of enemies.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TheJadedOne posted:

I enjoy 20MTD but it does feel like every build ends up the same. Also wish the darkness points did major differences instead of just damage/life/speed of enemies.

Yeah, I tried doing one more based around just upgrading bullet power, and that'll get you pretty far but eventually you need ice. It keeps the hoard off your back and also does SO much damage just on application if you get that one upgrade. Bullets never get anything that just cuts enemy HP by a percentage like that.

This patch seems like a step in the right direction, finally making fire useful and weakening the absurd power of ice.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mierenneuker posted:

I just did a bunch of level 99 unlock runs and don't take garlic, I prefer the whip especially now that it can upgrade even more. Every start was the same with max curse: revive arcana, run around like mad and take a death or two while hunting for whip, bible, water and rune with their passives, then go from there. Whip protects about as well as garlic when sitting at the bottom of the screen. Usually end up with the super whip and then evolved fire wand as well, but sometimes magic wand since the passive is free

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

What weapons should I go for if I want to get to evolve both the laurel and the clock lancet?

I usually get overwhelmed before I can get the second upgrade online.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

Begemot posted:

Bullets never get anything that just cuts enemy HP by a percentage like that.

There is Assassin in the tree that's based around bullet speed. I wasn't using it much until I was getting runs where I just had nothing else good to upgrade in the later half.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The 20MTD patch really does help flesh things out a bit. I pulled off the Abby Reckless achievement run on darkness 5 post patch due to being able to actually stack up enough grenade damage properly now, and then I did a darkness 6 Scarlet/flame cannon sicko build that did end up doing the usual triple element nonsense, but actually was able to function due to the cannon now acting like a flamethrower and not shooting little fire blips like the world's saddest paintball gun.

Then I just did a full Hina Grenade Pacifist sicko run where the shadow clone was hitting multiple times a second by the end and had a damage radius the size of baseline Soul Eater in VS. Again, due to the increase in bullet damage both baseline and with upgraded gun mods now, it was pretty viable, and very dumb.

The game definitely still needs more trait lines and variety to mix it up, but the tweaks do enable some strategies that previously were non-starters due to just lacking the raw bullet damage by endgame, so it's giving me some renewed optimism about the longer term viability of the game. Which might be silly given it's 3 dollars, but having a few different "I'll do a quick run" contenders in the space is good.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Vizrt posted:

There is Assassin in the tree that's based around bullet speed. I wasn't using it much until I was getting runs where I just had nothing else good to upgrade in the later half.

I guess the problem is this also works on elemental builds.

With freeze you're damaging for 10% from explosions, potentially multiple times if enemies are clustered, or 15% from freeze Max HP loss, and then they effectively lose 20% HP due to Assassin as well.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

29MtD

Tortolia posted:

Then I just did a full Hina Grenade Pacifist sicko run where the shadow clone was hitting multiple times a second by the end and had a damage radius the size of baseline Soul Eater in VS.

Gave this a (no) shot, but for some reason it did not count for the Pacifist run.
Had the finger on right-click the whole time, never saw a grenade explosion.

Or are other summons also not allowed to shoot? I had of course dragon, Ghost boi, double knives and scythe (and honestly, with full dragon, you don't even need the shadow clone, just push a gigantic firewall ahead of you and everything withers and dies.

I can confirm though that all the attack buffs for the shadow clone carry over if you just hit "Try again". Ghost boi level 1 also fires 5 shots immediately.
:laugh:

Guess I'll do a couple of consequtive runs to see how far this can be pushed. Clone is doing 290 dmg halfway through run 2. Bosses touch it and just... die.
65535 is the magic number, right?

Edit: Looks like damage kinda does reset? I'm seeing initial damage of 75 on the next run, but every single mob explodes into like 8-10 damage numbers of 75 each, so I'm not quite sure what is happening here.

Shame though that the mushroom does not increase the size of the shadow clone.
Come on!

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 18, 2022

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

mcbexx posted:

29MtD

Gave this a (no) shot, but for some reason it did not count for the Pacifist run.

Or are other summons also not allowed to shoot? I had of course dragon, Ghost boi, double knives and scythe (and honestly, with full dragon, you don't even need the shadow clone, just push a gigantic firewall ahead of you and everything withers and dies.

I can confirm though that all the attack buffs for the shadow clone carry over if you just hit "Try again". Ghost boi level 1 also fires 5 shots immediately. :laugh:

You must've accidentally tapped left click at some point, I just got that achievement earlier and went hog wild with summons:

https://i.imgur.com/S7KBgs1.mp4

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

29MtD

I can confirm though that all the attack buffs for the shadow clone carry over if you just hit "Try again". Ghost boi level 1 also fires 5 shots immediately. :laugh:

I went heavy on summons/glare and had no issues. I did avoid any on-reload or cascade type effects (ex. the one where dead enemies spawn bullets) in case those would count.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mcbexx posted:

I can confirm though that all the attack buffs for the shadow clone carry over if you just hit "Try again". Ghost boi level 1 also fires 5 shots immediately.
:laugh:
Yeah I think it's the summon-specific upgrades. So the generic +50% doesn't carry over but the "shadow clone hits 3x" does.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ok, run 3 broke the game. After picking up another attack speed boost tome, it froze and only continued with 1 frame every other 5 seconds. It catches up eventually, but every level upgrade activation while the clone is out makes it choke up again..

Trees die within 2-3 seconds now.

Edit: Nope, now it crashed for good.
You know, I expected better from a $3 game.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Must have found the bonus stage or something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mcbexx posted:

Ok, run 3 broke the game. After picking up another attack speed boost tome, it froze and only continued with 1 frame every other 5 seconds. It catches up eventually, but every level upgrade activation while the clone is out makes it choke up again..

Trees die within 2-3 seconds now.

Edit: Nope, now it crashed for good.
You know, I expected better from a $3 game.
Same thing eventually happened to me lol. Also during like the third game the clones noises were getting all stuttery trying to keep up with the number of hits. I can't believe I wasted a whole avocado toast on this :argh:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

WarpedLichen posted:

What weapons should I go for if I want to get to evolve both the laurel and the clock lancet?

I usually get overwhelmed before I can get the second upgrade online.

I spent a day struggling to pull it off, either I spent all my time running and not killing , or couldn't get everything in time. One run I was only level 33 when the reaper showed up.

The easy answer is you just go for the arcana you get by reaching minute 31 in the mad forest, which entirely solves the issue.

You also get a really good arcana for getting krochi to level 99 which you can do separately.

For minute 31, I'd do whip, bible, rune, water, magic wand.+ their passives , plus lancet+tiramisu. Just try to keep reviving and get to minute 31. Either state with whip or wand I think

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
20MTD:

Been playing around with gimmick builds on Shanna.

https://i.imgur.com/i4QZU4d.mp4

Tripled Saccade is my favourite so far.

e:

When there are no ranged mobs, moving is optional:

https://i.imgur.com/dMhT6qH.mp4

This also sort of passively deletes trees after a while.

I really want to try triple dragons next. Or maybe tripled Summon Attack Speed +40%.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 19, 2022

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

mastershakeman posted:

I spent a day struggling to pull it off, either I spent all my time running and not killing , or couldn't get everything in time. One run I was only level 33 when the reaper showed up.

The easy answer is you just go for the arcana you get by reaching minute 31 in the mad forest, which entirely solves the issue.

You also get a really good arcana for getting krochi to level 99 which you can do separately.

For minute 31, I'd do whip, bible, rune, water, magic wand.+ their passives , plus lancet+tiramisu. Just try to keep reviving and get to minute 31. Either state with whip or wand I think

Are you using Hyper Mode? All it does is make you move faster, and I can imagine that actually moving far enough to get all the items would be difficult without the Hyper speed.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Are you using Hyper Mode? All it does is make you move faster, and I can imagine that actually moving far enough to get all the items would be difficult without the Hyper speed.

Well, no, Hyper Mode doesn't just make you move faster. It also makes enemies move faster, as well as increasing the number of enemies and slightly increasing their health. In short there's basically no reason not to be running Hyper Mode all the time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
We are playing gauntlet

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Picked up 20MTD yesterday after reading some posts here, and it's pretty good, but I'm getting my rear end absolutely wrecked. I'm lucky as hell to get past the second boss. I've unlocked a bunch of characters and runes, tried different combos, and every run ends the same way. If I even manage to kill the second boss, about a minute or so later I'm overwhelmed by the rush. I feel I might be missing a trick here. Any tips?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Scruffpuff posted:

Picked up 20MTD yesterday after reading some posts here, and it's pretty good, but I'm getting my rear end absolutely wrecked. I'm lucky as hell to get past the second boss. I've unlocked a bunch of characters and runes, tried different combos, and every run ends the same way. If I even manage to kill the second boss, about a minute or so later I'm overwhelmed by the rush. I feel I might be missing a trick here. Any tips?

More projectiles, more power, make things explode. Bounce is worthless, penetration is amazing, summons are great early. The second boss is the hardest part of the game, if you can take some movement speed that’s helpful.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Bounce is good on crossbow and pretty much only on crossbow.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

Get the rune that gives knockback on reload. That one has saved so many runs for me...

Don't take too many -dmg skills in the beginning, you might fall behind on the leveling curve. Ice wants as many projectiles as possible, dmg is not really relevant. Lightning needs to fire as fast as possible to reliably proc the "on every second shot" effects. Faster reload is always good. Fire doesn't cut it lategame without the lightning synergy. Bullet speed determines how far some of the weapons shoot.

Never take splinter or bounce when running the grenade launcher, that thing can hurt the player.

Speaking of:

That's Abby`s right click with a 0.3s reload and fan fire. Standard shot is 4 grenades per volley, 3 times a second. The target under the mouse pointer gets hit by all 4 grenades for 187 dmg each. I killed the last boss by accident before I realized he had spawned. Kinda tricky to reach the endgame without the right upgrades from the boxes but felt a lot stronger than an elemental build.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
It's a cool game, I think the gameplay dovetails nicely with Vampire Survivors in the sense that I can load up the game I'm in the mood for, since their superficial similarities end rapidly once you're in the thick of it. VS eventually feels like it's impossible to lose unless you make a series of critical errors early on, but 20MTD makes me actually put in the work.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bbcisdabomb posted:

Yeah, hyper is always on. As is hurry, which I assumed was just 2x game speed but maybe it's the reason all these runs were so much work for me?

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 19, 2022

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

cheating every weapon/accessory really breaks the game

I got a glorious 3 FPS or so without any enemies being on the screen

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't know, I've had similar looking builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah, hyper is always on. As is hurry, which I assumed was just 2x game speed but maybe it's the reason all these runs were so much work for me?

Yeah don't use hurry when you're trying to do stuff. That's only for when you don't have 30 minutes to play.