Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
holy cow an intelligence agency is looking at us through our websites and phones what a shock this was not known to us since 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is it possible for a social media app to do anything without accessing user data?

if they don't want a Chinese social media company to operate a social media app while being chinese they shouldnt have stopped trump's shotgun wedding of tiktok and oracle, or whichever company it was they were going to make buy it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/steve0george/status/1537966291344330754

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/winstontlchow/status/1538076886101700608

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jesus Christ

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

it’s incredible what a competent government powered by Marxism-Leninism can accomplish

e: the article is deeply (not darkly) hilarious because according to it, the dystopian shanghai lockdown camps have: 1) good free food (“special menus were available for Muslims, diabetics and vegetarians”); 2) free housing and medical services; and 3) free internet.

it’s so bad, there’s even a guy whose sad he has to leave!

nigel thornberry has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Jun 18, 2022

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

when youre the minister of tourism everything looks like a tourism opportunity

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

"They fed me."

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

crepeface posted:

was it this thread that said it'be cool to play a post apocalyptic or cyberpunk game set in america and when you go to china it's hopepunk solar futurist.

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1481888089950007296

not exactly that but you might be interested

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

nigel thornberry posted:

it’s incredible what a competent government powered by Marxism-Leninism can accomplish

e: the article is deeply (not darkly) hilarious because according to it, the dystopian shanghai lockdown camps have: 1) good free food (“special menus were available for Muslims, diabetics and vegetarians”); 2) free housing and medical services; and 3) free internet.

it’s so bad, there’s even a guy whose sad he has to leave!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1aHYOyRphE

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Dat swimming pool is classy. Hacken Lee has a Cantonese version of this song. I love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-rGtcdl5aE

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

drat look at dat food

quote:

Breakfast meant congee, baozi (steamed buns), eggs and pickles. Lunch and dinner were hot, and even more generous -- usually two main dishes with a choice of protein -- shrimp and beef, chicken and pork, fish and chicken -- and three sides of vegetables. Special menus were available for Muslims, diabetics and vegetarians.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

My broken brain is wondering if this individual had to pay anything for having stayed in the covid quarantine.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Im dead excited for this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1538199029946888192

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
taiwan, that famous north atlantic country.

looks sick and lol at some of those references.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

crepeface posted:

taiwan, that famous north atlantic country.

looks sick and lol at some of those references.

I felt vaguely dirty recognizing it, but apparently this is actually a well know meme.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

article starts out all scary but there are several moments when he realizes it’s not so bad and actually even good

but then there’s this gem where he talks to a guy who tested positive

quote:

I tried to console him, saying the infection would have strengthened his immune system and he would be less likely to fall ill again.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Steve Yun posted:

I'm gradually transitioning from thinking that free speech is a good idea with problems to thinking that no American should be allowed to have opinions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nabunturanguy/status/1538095927894097922?t=L1wNIWO4sOXDUVlnT2CPpA&s=19

Tiananmen Square is when lots of police

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

crepeface posted:

drat look at dat food

its just a normal lunch box calm down

like passing out jimmy johns or something, wow

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

passing out jimmy johns? why dont you just ask for a unicorn while youre at it you dirty tankie?!?!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

article starts out all scary but there are several moments when he realizes it’s not so bad and actually even good

its written by a chinese lady if you read it it would be abundantly clear

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ikanreed posted:

I'm gradually transitioning from thinking that free speech is a good idea with problems to thinking that no American should be allowed to have opinions.

idk if she's american now or not

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I think its just school lunch but with bigger portions. Which makes sense I guess.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

that sounds good to me, dickhead

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BrainDance posted:

I think its just school lunch but with bigger portions. Which makes sense I guess.

American food can get pretty bad to be honest.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

That looks infinitely better than American school lunch food

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ardennes posted:

American food can get pretty bad to be honest.

I posted it in the covid thread but this is what Americans got as their quarantine meals

Grapplejack posted:

meanwhile in the greatest country on earth

Please note this is only one school, but most schools I saw had equal or worse meals, with zero hot food in any of them

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Shear Modulus posted:

that really depends on the school.

Go to even public schools in very wealthy cities and check that poo poo out. It's kinda hosed up.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

now now, that's not ALL school lunches in the us. at some of them you can buy domino's pizza

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
the food does look good but the majority of that article reads like an absolute horror story. none of the pictures look nearly as bad the experience described.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the toilet situation sounds pretty bad yeah. i'd rather be sick at home.

also your landlord not letting you come home and the stigma, yeah its dumb

but hey, you get lunchbox

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shear Modulus posted:

I’ve taken shits that look better than American school lunch food.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

CareyB posted:

the food does look good but the majority of that article reads like an absolute horror story. none of the pictures look nearly as bad the experience described.

being housed, fed, and medically cared for is a horror story? the only horrible thing in the story is the toilets.

they saved millions of lives doing this dude. the west during covid surges is a far more horrifying place

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

nigel thornberry posted:

being housed, fed, and medically cared for is a horror story? the only horrible thing in the story is the toilets.

they saved millions of lives doing this dude. the west during covid surges is a far more horrifying place

did you read the bit where he says how he clearly didn’t need that level of care?

people in “the west” changed their lives and behaviour immeasurably to help prevent the spread of Covid, I’m not sure if we need the government to start rounding up the citizenry and forcing us to live in camps or enclosures in the name of care.

I feel the mental risks associated with that are greater than just isolating like a responsible adult. but that’s just me, I don’t want to forced to live sleep and poo poo around a bunch of compete strangers when we’re all Ill.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Does anyone have a recommended history of china book for beginners?

I have a family member that's in that phase where they're getting into reading a lot of books for the first time and I asked him what kind of book would he like as a gift.

I'm asking because it's been a while since I read those kinds of books that compress a lot of info into one or a few books so i'm not up to date. Also if possible something that doesn't portray mao as mega hitler because I've noticed some of the books i've read go off the deep end once it talks about historical events after the October revolution.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

CareyB posted:

did you read the bit where he says how he clearly didn’t need that level of care?

people in “the west” changed their lives and behaviour immeasurably to help prevent the spread of Covid, I’m not sure if we need the government to start rounding up the citizenry and forcing us to live in camps or enclosures in the name of care.

I feel the mental risks associated with that are greater than just isolating like a responsible adult. but that’s just me, I don’t want to forced to live sleep and poo poo around a bunch of compete strangers when we’re all Ill.

oh he didn’t need that level of care? I guess nobody else did?

lmaoo this is a bit right? Americans haven’t changed their lives at all. we can’t even wear masks. americans spread covid everywhere and haven’t adapted to the virus in any way. as a result our healthcare system collapses every winter and millions are dead.

covid cannot be contained without a strong, Marxist-Leninist government. what China has done is incredible.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

hope they include kamina glasses as an accessory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

CareyB posted:

people in “the west” changed their lives and behaviour immeasurably to help prevent the spread of Covid

Lol