Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've done it without issues that I noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
There's a lack of car modeling pics on here so check out the pics of the interior for Mazda Miata (ND) I just finished. I'm pretty happy with it except for the steering wheel. It's pretty awesome how you can paint things with super flat paints and then go over them with Tamiya semi gloss clear and it turns it into a very realistic leather look.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Wow, nicely done. You really captured the look of the leather and vinyl interior perfectly.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yes, that really does look like an ND interior. I can picture myself squeezing into one all over again. Anyway, what did you use for paint?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Toothpick might be the trick to tidy up the edges of the silver paint on the steering wheel.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Jonny Nox posted:

Night Shift’s stippling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpD0ZSQIPyk

Edit: this was supposed to be an “Omar’s Walkin’” joke, but internet

I like Night Shift and this is a good example of his focus on breaking up homogeneity on a model with things like texture and colour. It always looks way over the top at first, but the final effect is subtle and "realistic"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Amazing work on the seats, what’d you use?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Amazing work on the seats, what’d you use?

Thanks! The interior is Tamiya mostly flat black and hull red acrylic then glossed over with semi gloss acrylic. The upper parts of the door panels are supposed to match the body panels so I used Tamiya light gunmetal spray. The body has been painted and is curing now so I'll have pictures of that soon.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Anyone have any recommendation for hobby tables?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Are there purpose made tables for hobbyists? I just use of those folding tables you get at Walmart.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Huge album of pics from The Royal Tank Museum in Jordan. Tons of interesting specimens.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ITrt0vC

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

I mean, if I had my dream setup, I'd buy some adjustable height desks so that I could vary my work position. Sitting for long periods of time is the new smoking after all. As it stands now, I'm using a couple of business desks in my workshop from Bush Business Furniture. They're durable, reasonably inexpensive, and modular so you can build just about whatever you want.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Huge album of pics from The Royal Tank Museum in Jordan. Tons of interesting specimens.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ITrt0vC
That's an unexpectedly comprehensive collection.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

My reaction too. Like, they have the stuff I actually expect them to have, then weird poo poo like this:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Is that an a-44? Gotta say, I got confused for a minute as I thought I was in the WoT tanks thread.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I like the display with the Swiss Hetzer, the Kanonenjagdpanzer, and the Ontos

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JuffoWup posted:

Is that an a-44? Gotta say, I got confused for a minute as I thought I was in the WoT tanks thread.

That's a weirdly distorted T-60.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My reaction too. Like, they have the stuff I actually expect them to have, then weird poo poo like this:

For me it was the CVR(T). Like "oh you want 1960s British light tanks? We got both kinds! Scorpion AND Scimitar!"

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Hi scale modeling thread. I recently decided to relive a small part of my childhood by purchasing a Revell P-38J kit with the intention of building the night-fighter variant it lets you choose. I have nothing other than the kit right now. Assuming this is just a one-off build, what tools should I pick up and what should I read to make my modeling and painting go well and not look like absolute poo poo?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Minenfeld! posted:

Hi scale modeling thread. I recently decided to relive a small part of my childhood by purchasing a Revell P-38J kit with the intention of building the night-fighter variant it lets you choose. I have nothing other than the kit right now. Assuming this is just a one-off build, what tools should I pick up and what should I read to make my modeling and painting go well and not look like absolute poo poo?

Absolute basics for tools are a sharp hobby knife or nippers to get the parts off the sprue, then a file or sandpaper to clean up the seams and attachment points. If the kit came with glue, odds are this glue is thick and awful, get a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin or similar product. This glue seeps into narrow cracks through capillary action and works really well with just a tiny application without making a mess.

Painting is where it gets expensive. You're going to want primer (preferably in a rattle can so you can apply it evenly without an airbrush), appropriate colour paints, gloss varnish (never apply decals over a matte surface, you'll get air bubbles underneath) and preferably matte varnish to seal everything, also in a rattle can.

For paints go with acrylics over enamels. They're easier to thin and clean up. Always thin your paints, it's better to do several translucent coats than one thick one.

If you have an art store nearby, check that out, you might be able to get pretty high-quality paint for cheaper than at a hobby shop.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Minenfeld! posted:

Your best bet is to go on YouTube and search for "beginner modeler" videos and you'll find no shortage of videos telling you what you'll need.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Apparently it's sorta like the king's 1:1 scale collection.

Although I didn't see it in the photos they also have a Type 61 somewhere which is possibly the only post war Japanese tank to ever leave the country.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

This is all good. Thank you everyone.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RillAkBea posted:

Apparently it's sorta like the king's 1:1 scale collection.

Although I didn't see it in the photos they also have a Type 61 somewhere which is possibly the only post war Japanese tank to ever leave the country.
That's cool, the Japanese tanks are a super interesting subject because you can kind of see where they took designe cues from elsewhere and where they went wildly their own way.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I need to brush paint some touch ups on this 1//72 truck, but I only have that olive drab in Vallejo air. Does anyone have a trick to thicken Vallejo air to use with brush?

(This is a cheap model I got to try out some techniques so I didn’t put a lot of effort into it but now perfectionism is kicking in.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just paint it on directly and see what happens. It'll probably be fine.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

FrozenVent posted:

I need to brush paint some touch ups on this 1//72 truck, but I only have that olive drab in Vallejo air. Does anyone have a trick to thicken Vallejo air to use with brush?

(This is a cheap model I got to try out some techniques so I didn’t put a lot of effort into it but now perfectionism is kicking in.)

Hello! Vallejo Model Air is fine for painting with unfancy hairy sticks. Don't worry about it and just slap paint onto that beauty.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sparq posted:

Hello! Vallejo Model Air is fine for painting with unfancy hairy sticks. Don't worry about it and just slap paint onto that beauty.

Way too liquid, I ended up using some white cap dark green. Once weathered it’ll be fine.

I need to get the actual camera out sometimes, phones aren’t good at macro work.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Smartphones can take decent macro pics if you use the macro setting but yeah it doesn't compare to a real camera with a macro lens.

The Miata is starting to look like a car. Still got various bits to do like the taillights. I messed up the decal for the 3rd brake light so I just painted it with clear red lacquer. I think Im finally starting to get a hang of the wet sanding/polishing thing.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Keep it up! My Katana is taking shape, but all my pictures have been poop. Oh well.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Messed around a bit with Vallejo “environment”

A texture best described as “your rabbit has diarrhea”

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

And now with European thick and splash mud

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

FrozenVent posted:

Messed around a bit with Vallejo “environment”

A texture best described as “your rabbit has diarrhea”

I like that vallejo grassy mud stuff, it comes out nice if you're subtle with it. I use it on my tanks:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I built a strange German airplane earlier this week.

Airfix's old Blohm & Voss BV 141. Still decent for such an ancient mold, didn't use the figures as they're kind of lovely.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Working on a diorama with two large water pours. Turned out kind of okay from a distance.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Did you use epoxy or an acrylic product for the water?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

I built a strange German airplane earlier this week.

Airfix's old Blohm & Voss BV 141. Still decent for such an ancient mold, didn't use the figures as they're kind of lovely.

Cool looking model, but the plane looks like a death trap!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Gewehr 43 posted:

Did you use epoxy or an acrylic product for the water?

AK still water acrylic product.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ensign Expendable posted:

AK still water acrylic product.

That's mostly likely why you've got the water creep up the sides there. Acrylic resins tend to shrink quite a bit, so the center shrinks most and the edges appear to "creep" up any surfaces adjacent to them.

Still looks very good though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's mostly likely why you've got the water creep up the sides there. Acrylic resins tend to shrink quite a bit, so the center shrinks most and the edges appear to "creep" up any surfaces adjacent to them.

Still looks very good though!

That was my experience with AK's still water product too. Same with the old school woodland scenics equivalent. For anything other than just the most basic, thin layer of water an epoxy is almost a necessity.