Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Local gambler pushing his luck as far as possible literally

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
This is a cool fight and it's honestly hard to call how this will go because both characters are absolute beasts

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
hikari’s power set pretty much being ‘constantly roll the dice for super Mario stars’ wasn’t gonna be interesting for very long

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The only thing that bugs me about this fight is that over 4 minutes is a *really* long time to fight, and as illustrated it doesn't look like they fought for anywhere near 4 minutes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The only thing that bugs me about this fight is that over 4 minutes is a *really* long time to fight, and as illustrated it doesn't look like they fought for anywhere near 4 minutes.

namek will explode in 5 minutes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

Kashimo seems to have been fighting defensively and running around before the Chapter started.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Relin posted:

"time reduction" next, i assume

He gets faster spins next round. Though that requires him being alive to spin them, and being able to defend himself against Kashimo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

At first I thought Hikari was gonna lose cause his power seems real hard to write around but drat Kashimo seems just as hard to write around, how is anyone else supposed to win against a guy who can fry your brain?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I finally saw the light regarding Hakari and the author pulls this bullshit? What's worse is that we're covering all the aspects of Hakari's domain which is his main gimmick and that fills me with dread that even if Kashimo somehow doesn't murderize him completely, Hakari won't be surviving the next fight he's in or otherwise is going to become "sir not appearing" in this manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hakari honestly isn't making a very good showing in this fight. Immediately after going into invincibility mode, Kashimo figures out two weaknesses in it and badly owns him twice. It seems like Kashimo is just a much more skilled fighter, since Hakari can't seem to land any decent hits outside of one surprise hit when he first revealed his ability to regenerate himself with cursed energy. It's been pretty one-sided since the nature of the ability became apparent to Kashimo.

Kashimo's ability is also kind of bullshit, in that it seems to be an automatic kill if he manages to touch you in the vast majority of cases.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It is unfortunately a plot point and one that's been stated numerous times across the series, that sorcerers back in the day existed in PvP servers while sorcerers of the modern era are mostly PvE. The meta of the past favored much stronger fighters because things were ironically, far more ruthless. The incident with Geto was probably the biggest sorcerer v sorcerer clash to happen for some decades. Even the Platinum Star incident years prior was two powerhouses of their generation stomping on a handful of scrubs until the Chad Toji showed up and dunked on them both.

Kashimo exists in contrast to Dhruv, Uro, and Ryu. They fought mostly on equal footing to Yuta who is by all accounts, the 2nd strongest sorcerer of the modern era. And even then it took 2 of them and a special grade spirit to really push Yuta to the brink of death multiple times. 1v1 he would win each fight with very little resistance, especially because of Rika and his copy skill making each subsequent fight easier for him. Kind of like playing Megaman and picking the optimal order for bosses and hitting them with their counters. Once Yuta cleaned Dhruv's clock he was already set to wipe the board.

Hakari is supposed to have the potential and skill to also stand atop the modern Jujutsu world, and that's why Kashimo is such a dangerous person. From what I'm inferring, Kashimo was basically the #1 sorcerer of 400 years prior even in his old age. The only person that might contest that is Ryu, and that's because Kashimo was coughing up blood and made a binding vow with Kamo. Kashimo was the Satoro Gojo of his time. So what we're watching now is exactly what would happen if Gojo fought Hakari seriously, a mostly one-sided stomp because even being functionally invincible isn't enough to beat someone like that. The man STILL hasn't bothered to use a cursed technique if any this whole fight. The only time was when he considered using Wicker Basket to negate the sure-hit of Hakari's domain and that just outpaced him and he gave up when he learned the domain does nothing to really to defend against. Even in Hakari's domain, he was dominant.

Kashimo is basically the final boss of the culling game players. I really hope Hakari lives, but the real problem going forward is whether Hakari makes any rules to allow travel between domes because if he does. Yuji really needs to watch the gently caress out, Sukuna can use En Chain but unless he sets up a kill outside the one minute he has control he can only delay the inevitable. And we're still waiting on the bombshell Kenjaku will drop into this killing game.

Sufficed to say. Next week cannot come fast enough.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think people are underestimating how strong Kashimo is, I definitely did at first. Like BTYB said older sorcerers are much more PvP focussed than modern are, though I still can't imagine Gojo or Yuta wouldn't be ascendant in any era, especially Gojo obviously.

Hakari has been tanking tonnes of hits for sure with his unkillable buff and imo I'm surprised how little damage it feels like Kashimo has taken considering how hard Hakari can hit. Kashimo has avoided or redirected a lot but also tanked some hard hits. I suppose it's worth remembering how much CE you have and how much you can output. Ryu mentions Yuta having incredible amounts of CE but his output not being that impressive, though off he was comparing to himself. So even though Hakari's is limitless and he can hit hard it doesn't mean his punches are super far beyond people like Kashimo's I think.

I don't see how anyone other than Gojo could really do a lot better against Kashimo though, trading blows seems like it'd be nearly impossible for anyone else except Okkotsu who also has a tonne of CE. Even then I don't know if he has anything for when Kashimo charges up a super strike. I mean I'd still put the wife and kids on Okkotsu winning that because it's Okkotsu. Itadori also has absolutely nothing for Kashimo. Kashimo is super impressive but doesn't feel like a Gojo or Jogo threat so I just can't see them pressing Sukuna.

I think everyone was expecting the next "oh gently caress" moment to be in Kashimo's favour after last week's declaration but holy god I wasn't expecting that. Pretty shocked Hakari was able to use his expansion in these dire circumstances. I don't feel confident at all that his gamble pays off, though he has no other choice. I can easily see Gege having his gamble fail here considering it's paid off for him every other time. Feels like it could be a great set up to the gamble ultimately failing.

He does have improved spin speed though so I continue to pray for Hakari nation in this time of national crisis. Very hard to see how he survives this and if he does it not feeling insane that Kashimo doesn't vaporise him before we even see a riichi let alone a successful one.

I still think I'd much rather see Hakari continue to be in the series than I would Kashimo. Both have super OP feeling abilities that could make more than one fight hard to write but Hakari is just much more interesting to see in the world to me than a "I wanna be the strongest" person with no connection to other characters.

Brought To You By posted:

Hakari is supposed to have the potential and skill to also stand atop the modern Jujutsu world, and that's why Kashimo is such a dangerous person. From what I'm inferring, Kashimo was basically the #1 sorcerer of 400 years prior even in his old age. The only person that might contest that is Ryu, and that's because Kashimo was coughing up blood and made a binding vow with Kamo. Kashimo was the Satoro Gojo of his time. So what we're watching now is exactly what would happen if Gojo fought Hakari seriously, a mostly one-sided stomp because even being functionally invincible isn't enough to beat someone like that. The man STILL hasn't bothered to use a cursed technique if any this whole fight. The only time was when he considered using Wicker Basket to negate the sure-hit of Hakari's domain and that just outpaced him and he gave up when he learned the domain does nothing to really to defend against. Even in Hakari's domain, he was dominant.

I don't think this is true though. I think Kashimo might have been the top dog of their time though it also sounds like with people not able to travel or get info as easily it's less certain. However I don't think I'd call it a stomp. Idle Death Gamble is still Hakari's ability just as much as Kashimo's insanely strong lightning is theirs. I also don't think Kashimo has anything up their sleeve they're not using right now unless they pop a DE here. They're pretty clearly going all out to try kill Hakari I don't think they're holding back some other technique that would totally own him to prolong their enjoyment.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Like limitless just lets Gojo ignore every single attack sent against him pretty much and Hakari is doing a poor man's version of that with song mode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Apparently we have a decent idea of how Yuji scales to Kashimo and Hakari in jackpot mode. It took Yuji a focused properly grounded punch to launch a car a bit off the ground. Kashimo and Hakari meanwhile can casually send a shipping container flying back and forth and those Containers tend to weigh twice as much as a car.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do not think anyone is the Gojo of their time except Gojo.

Gojo changed the entire paradigm just by being born.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kashimo’s most basic ability boils down to “if I hit you once, you explode”

unless your name is monkey d luffy he’s a pretty bad matchup

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Makima could take him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oxxidation posted:

I mean Mahito's basic ability was that but even faster. All he had to do was touch you and unless you hosted Sukuna's soul inside your body you were poo poo outta luck.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I mean Mahito's basic ability was that but even faster. All he had to do was touch you and unless you hosted Sukuna's soul inside your body you were poo poo outta luck.

Well if you were in good shape physically and mentally it could take more than one touch. He remarked after touching Nanami that it would only require one or two more touches to make him cease to be human.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought that was more cause Nanami was usin' cursed energy to defend himself.

Plus, when he uses his domain, he can do it incredibly fast so you don't even have time to defend; Toda got affected instantly before he could even use his Simple Domain to defend himself and had to cut off his hand before it spread to the rest of his body.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I thought that was more cause Nanami was usin' cursed energy to defend himself.

Plus, when he uses his domain, he can do it incredibly fast so you don't even have time to defend; Toda got affected instantly before he could even use his Simple Domain to defend himself and had to cut off his hand before it spread to the rest of his body.

Mahito said it depends. He remarks with both Todo and Nobara he’s unsure based on the strength of their souls if he will be able to kill them in one touch in his current state.

With Kashimo it does not seem to be one punch and done, he builds charges as he hits his target, so presumably the more blows he lands the stronger the bolt is.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gojo changed the paradigm when he was born because Limitless and Six Eyes are a known quantity, which means there were Gojo's of other eras. Gojo even tells us about the one who died fighting a Ten Shadows user. If Okkotsu or Hakari are potentially on Gojo's level they still wouldn't have caused a stir when they were born because their abilities are unknowns. Hakari's especially wouldn't have been very good prior to his Domain Expansion. Calling someone the "Gojo of their era" isn't a very good idea though I agree there. He's not just the strongest of the modern era he's incredibly far beyond everyone else. I imagine the only other person who was so far ahead of their peers was Sukuna as we know a lot of sorcerers banded together to try defeat him and failed.

Mahito mentions that Nanami instinctively protected his soul but wasn't aware he was doing it. That's why it would take a few hits before Mahito could transform him instead of on the first touch. Mahito assumes it's because he's a first grade so you can reasonably assume that better sorcerers than Nanami would also do that but it's far from guaranteed. The other reason no one else except for Yuji could handle Mahito generally was that if you can't hit Mahito's soul you can't hurt him at all. Only Itadori or a domain expansion that would crush Mahito's would work. Todo's black flash had no effect on Mahito, it just meant Todo was operating at 110% like Mahito and Itadori in that moment.

Kashimo brawling with Itadori would be fun. Itadori is maybe the best hand to hand fighter we've seen other than Kashimo. It's not just his freakish physical abilities, we've seen him pull off some incredible moves and strategies in straight up brawls. I'm thinking of stuff like leaping into the air to predict where Choso fired convergence and still dodging it. Megumi also put his marker down that in an all out brawl with no CE that Itadori would win against the likes of Todo and Maki. I don't think Itadori can do anything much to Kashimo though with the lightning charge because he shouldn't have enough CE to flat out ignore the regular shocks.

Hakari himself is no slouch at hand to hand fighting. Against Charles who could predict the future Hakari was still too fast for Charles to reliably handle and was able to move into his blindspots. It makes Kashimo handling him much more impressive as the art clearly portrays Kashimo as having mastered a martial art. I suppose we're really seeing the "death" part of Idle Death Gamble now

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think this is true though. I think Kashimo might have been the top dog of their time though it also sounds like with people not able to travel or get info as easily it's less certain. However I don't think I'd call it a stomp. Idle Death Gamble is still Hakari's ability just as much as Kashimo's insanely strong lightning is theirs. I also don't think Kashimo has anything up their sleeve they're not using right now unless they pop a DE here. They're pretty clearly going all out to try kill Hakari I don't think they're holding back some other technique that would totally own him to prolong their enjoyment.

The only case of a sorcerer not having a cursed technique is Yuji and that's because he wasn't born one. Kashimo already has an innate trait to his cursed energy much like Hakari so it would be odd for him not to have a proper CT. Him not using it is likely because he doesn't need to; unlike Hakari whose CE is just rough the electrical CE is incredibly devastating on it's own. If he does pull out his CT I imagine it would be against someone like Sukuna. And while it is a bit hyperbolic to compare Hajime to Gojo, or call this fight a stomp at the end of the day Hakari's ability this entire fight has been to just let him survive and even with that being said his luck might actually run out.

Looking at the combatants so far I'd have been interested to see Kashimo duke it out in the Sendai colony with those ancient sorcerers. A big part of the standstill was that 2/4 have area denial baked into their abilities which means Kashimo's melee proficiency is somewhat countered until he gets in. And Ryu demonstrated that he's capable in that arena against Yuta. Uro is a master of both keep away and deflection, I wonder if she can stop even the lightning's guaranteed hit. Kuroishi would just die to Hajime I'm not even putting him in the equation. Then there's Yuta with a crazy deep well of CE, copied jujutsu, and Rika.

Also, Higuruma is Kashimo's worst possible matchup in the entire culling game. His domain forbidding violence and the incredible likelihood that any verdict Judgeman would render being a death sentence along with confiscation means one of two things. It Kashimo does have a CT then it's gone but the Executioner's sword is still in play. If he doesn't like Yuji then no lightning attacks at all and an instant death sword coming for him. So, I imagine that by the end of this Kashimo will use his own points to enable transportation between colonies just to continue hunting for Sukuna so if Gege wills it the lawyer might put an end to Sasuke's rampage.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm saying the lightning is Kashimo's technique. It's not clear yet if it's just their "trait" but they mention it combining their effect and technique. My assumption is they naturally have a lightning texture like Hakari has sandpaper but building up the charge as well as the guaranteed hit set up is the their CT. I could be wrong of course but that's my current assumption. I also just don't see Kashimo matching an opponents level, I think they'd go all out to crush someone. Or I'd have liked some internal thoughts to themselves that they don't even need their CT at this point. We have also seen that sword guy Kusakabe and maybe Miwa also have no techniques iirc.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I theorize that due to Yuji’s connection to Kenjaku and choso he will eventually show some blood technique. I think he’s been low key blood doping this whole time without realizing it.

Also, Higuruma is Kashimo's worst possible matchup in the entire culling game. His domain forbidding violence and the incredible likelihood that any verdict Judgeman would render being a death sentence along with confiscation means one of two things. It Kashimo does have a CT then it's gone but the Executioner's sword is still in play. If he doesn't like Yuji then no lightning attacks at all and an instant death sword coming for him. So, I imagine that by the end of this Kashimo will use his own points to enable transportation between colonies just to continue hunting for Sukuna so if Gege wills it the lawyer might put an end to Sasuke's rampage.

I want to read the higuruma v kashimo fight so bad now.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The only case of a sorcerer not having a cursed technique is Yuji

There's a fair amount of sorcerers that never manifested a technique, Maki slaughters an entire squad of 'em when she goes all Doomguy

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I forget what it's called but maki and yuji traded having cursed techniques for physical prowess. same deal with megumi's dad

maki needs special glasses to see curses while yuji only can because of sukuna

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I think Hakari is losing here, because however interesting/cool his Domain is, it only has one gtrick, and it's being explored to the fullest in these fights.

Though I do admit it would be very funny if he survived to fight another day, just to not get a jackpot in that fight and die immediately.

Scallop Eyes fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 20, 2022

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I forget what it's called but maki and yuji traded having cursed techniques for physical prowess. same deal with megumi's dad

That’s heavenly restriction but it’s impossible to know if Yuji has it. We never got a measure of how much cursed energy he had before getting energy from being Sukuna’s host. He’s not beyond someone like Todo though who doesn’t have the restriction.

Toji had total cursed energy restriction so he was monster. Maki didn’t have Toji’s restriction because of the nature of her relationship with Mai. Once Mai passed on/merged Maki got the full power up she was due from her restriction.

Yuji is good but not as good as those two imo. His freakish physical body is due to being a specially prepared Sukuna vessel imo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The only case of a sorcerer not having a cursed technique is Yuji and that's because he wasn't born one.

Actually Many Sorcerers don’t have Cursed Techniques. Kusakabe, Miwa, and the Kukaru unit all don’t have Cursed Techniques. Not having a Cursed Technique is just normally a sign the Sorcerer is going to be middling at best. Mei Mei remarked to Yuji that he’s the most impressive Sorcerer with no Technique she had seen since Kusakabe.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I couldn't remember if that Zen'in group was non-technique guys and didn't want to mention them if I was wrong lol. I think what Kashimo has demonstrated can be considered a technique though it's very possible this is simply the basis of their technique.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yuji is just freakishly strong, even before he could use cursed energy. Probably had some sort of genetic engineering done since his mom was a body hopping mad sorcerer

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

flashback to Yuji's school coach having the kenjaku scars

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
:negative: I am forever the king of forgetting details in this story so shame on me.
So is the position that his technique is what lets his electricity linger in people? Because the actual strike is just an electrical arc from a positive to negative charge I figure it's just a practical component of his cursed energy trait.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

To be fair that one small panel is the only time Kashimo mentions a technique. My position is that Kashimo inherently has a charge or electric element to his CE. His technique is what lets him “tag” opponents with the opposite charge for his guaranteed hit, as well as to build up the really powerful lightning strikes that have killed Hakari like three times now. There might be more to his technique or a Maximum to come though. I don’t think he’ll show some technique that’s not electricity based though. I am curious if we’ll get an explanation of CE textures soon.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There has to be some limitation here, because as described Higuruma can just beat any bad guy who has done really bad things.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
how would Judgeman work with different ethics or rules systems? Kashimo operated under a whole different era that saw things a bit differently

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

how would Judgeman work with different ethics or rules systems? Kashimo operated under a whole different era that saw things a bit differently

I would imagine he could still be convicted of murder for the sorcerers he's killed during the culling game. While it's within the rules it's still against the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yuji was tried for a crime he committed before the culling game. I don't know if laws even apply here anymore. they're effectively in no man's land

I started and caught up to this series a week or two back and what a wild ride. I can't tell if we're going to have a cut away or spin to win next chap