Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hey I accidentally came across the origin of that unbelievably stupid “the publisher has a release date of November 13, 2023” rumor

(Spoilers Extended) If The Winds of Winter is not released by November 13, 2023, it would be possible to develop, write, film, and air the entirety of Game of Thrones in the span between books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It totally makes sense that fans would see that and decide that that was when the book was coming out for real

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In just six years the series will have taken longer to complete than the actual War of the Roses.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kuiperdolin posted:

In just six years the series will have taken longer to complete than the actual War of the Roses.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I am so desperately hoping that the Jon Snow show rumors are true and that GRRM is deeply involved because it might finally be what causes the final fan holdouts to snap.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Can't wait to recreate the Battle of Bosworth Field when George Rape Rape Martin dies, leaving fan loyalists and bitter former fans to divide and fight over who gets possession of his incomplete Winds manuscript

Of course whomever wins will be the true loser when they start reading and find out he only wrote seventy pages and it's all one long chapter describing Dany's poo poo in even more extreme detail. Followed by Mercy.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I am so desperately hoping that the Jon Snow show rumors are true and that GRRM is deeply involved because it might finally be what causes the final fan holdouts to snap.

Every crisis of faith is an opportunity for more faith.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We already know what happens, he doesn’t need to finish it, thanks D and D.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How has Preston not put out an emergency video yet because that’s what I need.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not a rumor:

GRRM posted:

There are also the successor shows. Those have taken a ton of my time and attention this year. I have seen some comments out there questioning how much I am involved in these new series. The answer is: a lot. Deeply, heavily involved in every one of the new shows. It’s my world, and while I have been working closely with some fantastic writers and showrunners, ultimately it is up to me to try to keep the canon… well, canonical… and to do all I can to help make the new shows great. (And I love these stories too).

So far, I am very excited. HOUSE OF THE DRAGON has wrapped in London and is now in post-production. What I have seen, I have loved. I am eager to see more. I am excited about the other successor shows as well, however. I am dying to tell you all about them, but I am not supposed to, so…

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/03/09/random-updates-and-bits-o-news/

I like that he seems to believe fans worry that he's not spending enough time on the spinoffs.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 20, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

The spin-offs are like a cherry on top of a sundae. Getting the spin-offs before getting a new mainline book, and worse, not knowing when the next mainline book will come out is like getting a bowl with a bunch of cherries and no ice cream.

And not even good cherries, like Rainier cherries, either. It really is like that South Park bit with Martin ordering the pizza, or whatever. Not that that bit wasn't always based on reality, it just becomes more sad and relevant as time goes on.

I'm glad the spin-offs will adhere to canon, but it feels hollow without Winds. Guys, I think this announcement broke something in my brain.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Doesn't he like, not have any idea what is canonical anymore, he wrote the last real book like 20 years ago and relies heavily on his Atomwoffen wiki editors to know what is canonical?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Doesn't he like, not have any idea what is canonical anymore, he wrote the last real book like 20 years ago and relies heavily on his Atomwoffen wiki editors to know what is canonical?

I’m sure the two Scandinavian racists have a photographic memory of all the canon but I doubt he remembers half of it.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I saw 27 new posts and assumed GRRM had died.

A god damned disappointment is the truth.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How has Preston not put out an emergency video yet because that’s what I need.

He has done an emergency episode of his podcast about it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

He has done an emergency episode of his podcast about it.

Lmao I listened to it. They are so completely cynical now.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Elias_Maluco posted:

Arya is weird cause the actress was doing pretty well before Braavos. But as soon as she got there, she became terrible.

The writing got very bad too

I think they blew their load early with Braavos. They pretty much stated their thesis of "Arya can't be noone" right out of the gate, then spent like a whole season just repeating it over and over. Then at the end, Jaqen says "A girl is now noone" to literally everybody's confusion including the actress and probably even the writers themselves. Then when she gets to Westeros she can't decide if she's a scared little girl whose development arrested at the moment of the end of Season 1, or if she was a mass-murdering psychopath. One of the worst parts of her was that smile she did that was supposed to come off as threatening and unhinged, but was actually just really doofy-looking.

I actually liked the idea that the Waif killed her and was walking around with her face, but of course we couldn't do anything actually interesting with her.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

One episode ending with Arya hiding in the dark for her life and then the next starting with her walking around smugly right in the open of a big city flashing money and expectedly getting stabbed and thrown into a river was just so baffling that I still cannot understand what happened. I remember how I and so many others were *convinced* there was some ploy happening, a trap for the Waif. But nope. Arya was just a stupid moron.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

One episode ending with Arya hiding in the dark for her life and then the next starting with her walking around smugly right in the open of a big city flashing money and expectedly getting stabbed and thrown into a river was just so baffling that I still cannot understand what happened. I remember how I and so many others were *convinced* there was some ploy happening, a trap for the Waif. But nope. Arya was just a stupid moron.

I was pretty late getting onto the "show sucks now" bus, and this was the episode that broke me

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Arya was killed and the Waif took her face.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I remember seeing some theory that there was an abandoned plotline involving a Faceless Man masquerading as Arya, but for whatever reason didn't follow through on that so they edited together what they had already shot? I wish I could remember where I read that. It's all highly unlikely but who knows what was going on behind-the-scenes at that point. I think that's the season where a lot of the actors couldn't even adequately explain their characters actions.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I like how it also had her getting shanked in the gut and dumped in a filthy river by a master assassin with no ill effects, when one of the most important deaths in the series was from Khal Drogo getting an infected wound, or or another being Bobby B getting done in by a gut wound from a boar.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I like how it also had her getting shanked in the gut and dumped in a filthy river by a master assassin with no ill effects, when one of the most important deaths in the series was from Khal Drogo getting an infected wound, or or another being Bobby B getting done in by a gut wound from a boar.

Tbf both of them failed to comply with medical treatment guidelines, while Arya took her meds from that blond lady as instructed. A message many need to hear in this trying time.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
That same woman said her medical knowledge came from performing revenge surgery on sleeping men.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That whole episode was so bad. I think for me too it was the moment I realized the show was just simply bad

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lmao a new Tolkien book is coming out this October.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

tolkien' bout another dip at the well.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

are you really surprised that tolkien can out-write gurm even from the grave

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I wanna note that given we're now at 11 years since the last book published, it has taken GURM almost as long to write a single book than it took Tolkien to write the entire LOTR.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

To be fair, Tolkien had nothing better to do.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Did Tolkien own a railroad? I think not.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Tolkein was such a loser. Wasting his time fighting in World War I and telling the Literal Nazis to kiss his rear end, nothing he wrote could have ever compared to Mercy.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I have actually never seen anyone talk about the scene in the show where Arya and The Hound walk up to The Eyrie, announce themselves, then turn around when they find out Lysa is dead, and nobody seems to care or notice.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I have actually never seen anyone talk about the scene in the show where Arya and The Hound walk up to The Eyrie, announce themselves, then turn around when they find out Lysa is dead, and nobody seems to care or notice.

I dont even remember that scene

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont even remember that scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImvXLJVmGi4

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Thank you, I completely forgot about that

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Been flipping through aGoT, and what struck me is that one of the biggest things that George hosed himself on was having so many characters doing their own things as the series went on. In the first book, the King's Landing plot is moved along through the use of Ned, Arya, and Sansa while receiving secondary help from the Tyrion and Catelyn chapters. This means that he can switch perspectives while still moving a central plot forward as you see Sansa pick up from an Arya chapter who picked up from a Ned chapter.

Meanwhile, later on, you have one person on the Wall, one in King's Landing, two in the Riverlands loving around separate from one another, about a dozen characters at sea, a bunch split up in Essos, and so forth. Having a ton of POVs is fine, but holy poo poo it would be nice if one character could pick up where another left off. There are plenty of good reasons why the series hit a roadblock, but this has to be the biggest one from just a narrative standpoint.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Emilia Clark confirmed the Jon Snow show is real.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-61896580

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Happy Landfill posted:

And not even good cherries, like Rainier cherries, either. It really is like that South Park bit with Martin ordering the pizza, or whatever.

It's more like the episode where Cartman ate the skin off all the fried chicken while the other boys were doing something, except we don't even get any chicken either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Meanwhile, later on, you have one person on the Wall, one in King's Landing, two in the Riverlands loving around separate from one another, about a dozen characters at sea, a bunch split up in Essos, and so forth. Having a ton of POVs is fine, but holy poo poo it would be nice if one character could pick up where another left off. There are plenty of good reasons why the series hit a roadblock, but this has to be the biggest one from just a narrative standpoint.
Pretty much. He starts wandering in every direction and the main plot starts barely crawling forward