Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I've been doing the fyjj drills a lot for stuff like this. I like them a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tT3--XyQVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Count Roland posted:

Yeah that sounds line exactly what I'm looking for.

What happens when someone just gets stuck in say a closed or half guard? Reset after a few moments?

Yeah, those are still positions where you can both pass and sweep, so the burden is on the participants to make something happen. You could easily have a coach or referee tell them both "30 seconds or you're both out" in a King of the Hill situation.

Like, we did this drill last night at my gym and we had four "stations" each playing pass or sweep and then about another eight people in line to step up to whichever of the four stations was ready for a new person. If a match is going on for more than a minute it's time to tell that pair to either win in the next ten seconds or you both lose and go to the end of the line and your station can get the next two people.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, those are still positions where you can both pass and sweep, so the burden is on the participants to make something happen. You could easily have a coach or referee tell them both "30 seconds or you're both out" in a King of the Hill situation.

Like, we did this drill last night at my gym and we had four "stations" each playing pass or sweep and then about another eight people in line to step up to whichever of the four stations was ready for a new person. If a match is going on for more than a minute it's time to tell that pair to either win in the next ten seconds or you both lose and go to the end of the line and your station can get the next two people.

We do the same. Also a lot of the time people waiting to have a go will start yelling out cues to try and get one person or another to get the sweep/pass. But if something gets properly stalled out then both people will get pulled out.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been getting compliments from my Judo instructors on my grip strength, and it's getting noticed in my "main" Jiu Jitsu gym, but it's having an unexpected consequence: twice now in Jiujitsu I've gotten a dominant lapel grip, my partner has tried a two handed grip break, and when they yank the break attempt my hand stays put and there's the clear sound of ripped stitching. Oops!

This hasn't happened in Judo (maybe because those monsters both compliment my grip and then break it); but are Judo Gis tougher?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've been getting compliments from my Judo instructors on my grip strength, and it's getting noticed in my "main" Jiu Jitsu gym, but it's having an unexpected consequence: twice now in Jiujitsu I've gotten a dominant lapel grip, my partner has tried a two handed grip break, and when they yank the break attempt my hand stays put and there's the clear sound of ripped stitching. Oops!

This hasn't happened in Judo (maybe because those monsters both compliment my grip and then break it); but are Judo Gis tougher?

Judo gis are absolutely tougher. A "Heavy" bjj gi is about 450g/m2, the same weight as a "light" Judo gi. This is because BJJ weirdos do weigh-ins in their gis which incentivizes these lighter, flimsy gis, and Judo weirdos have strict regulations about gi design. Also lots of BJJ gis are made of synthetic materials for coolness sake, which isn't a thing in Judo (I actually find my heavier gis cooler anyway, because they allow better air flow).

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

My fav gis right now are the hyperfly judofly which are 750gsm.

All my partners hate em for reasons including “it’s hard to grip” and “it feels really rough on my face” which is just the feedback I’m looking for.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I've been using a Fuji Judo go in JJ for years and It's this very heavy weave of like herringbone pattern cotton, I love it.

I was 99% sure Judi Gis we stronger just off of feel but then when I googled it some website said the literal opposite, just JJ bias/explanation of why someone must buy an official JJ GI I guess.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The other thing is BJJ gis are cut to be more form fitting while Judo gis have a lot more extra fabric.

Honestly I have two Judo tops I use for BJJ because I like the extra fabroc for use in gi/lapel chokes

Edit: also I dislike when gis are basically made of sand paper. Use fabric softeners you weirdos!

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 21, 2022

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Jack B Nimble posted:

Bjj guys are pretty bad at stripping grips unless they've x-trained or have a coach who converted from judo.

So thicker gi + more technical grip breaks probably do it. Congrats on the clamp btw!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

We also play the pass or sweep game. To make things interesting, have the upper belts (higher level blue, purple and brown) use only one hand as a grip. The other hand has to be holding their belt if they are guarding. Emphasize using feet and legs to maintain control if playing open guard. If the guarder goes into closed guard, have them open up and go back to open guard again.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Its the weave count. Usually Judo gis have a higher weave count and are therefore a bit heavier.

Im now swearing by Hunter Gi's and not because my professor owns the company. The pants are like burlap sacks and hold up as well too. Have not had a single rip or tear in them yet and considering how fat my rear end is, thats an accomplishment. :c00lbutt:

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 21, 2022

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I'm pretty sure BJJ gis have the same weave as judo single-weave gis, but in judo you can also have a double-weave gi

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I recommend justgipants old school gi pants. Ive bought two pairs from them and theyve never ripped and the near six year old pair is only now starting to fray a little in the knee after hundreds of hours of use. Whereas every other pants ive had from various gis has ripped in the crotch or thigh.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I'm pretty sure BJJ gis have the same weave as judo single-weave gis, but in judo you can also have a double-weave gi

Most Judo Gis are either Double Weave or Pearl. That doesnt mean though that a BJJ gi cant be those either, its just not as common because they are a bit heavier and you get hot easier in them. Take a look at the Judo gis on Hyperfly's site, like this one:

https://hyperfly.com/collections/550-750gsm/products/judofly-gi

Thats actually a pretty heavy gi and is a bit larger in size than a normal BJJ gi. The higher the "gsm" the hotter you're going to be in it.

Its also the cuff size is different as well. In fact, I dont think most Judo Gi's will pass inspection for an IBJJF event.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
My gym usually does line drills in one of two formats, depending on how big the class is: as pass/sweep/submit starting from whatever guard of the day (or I guess advance/escape/submit if it's a scoring position), or a set rotation where everyone rolls with everyone else for a short round starting from the guard of the day.

We normally do the former as an up/down/out rotation, where about 2/3 of the class pairs up with one person up and one person down, and the "out" position is everyone else lined up against the wall. When one of the pairs finishes, no matter who won the exchange, the top person stays in place but switches to the bottom position, the bottom person goes out to the back of the line, and the first person in line comes in on the top position. It keeps things moving and gives everyone a lot of different looks from both top and bottom, which is extremely useful from a skill development perspective, but I think the format also helps drive home the message for newer people that they shouldn't take individual successes or failures in training too seriously.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

At every gym I’ve trained at, these are called ‘in the hole’ drills. We do them with whatever guard or whatever pass we’re working that month, coach yells at people for inactivity. The higher belts are a lot more playful and willing to lose during these exercises than they would be in free rolling.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hanging out on an island in the Great Barrier Reef waiting for a weeklong guillotine/passing seminar with Lachlan and Livia Giles to start, nbd.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I'm not one to wish death or dismemberment upon someone, but I really want you to prove to Lachlan that his guillotine doesn't work and just.... don't tap. No matter what.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Two sessions down - so far it’s been about smash passing and consolidating the final stages of the pass using the dagestani handcuff. Not what I was expecting, but very cool

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Skipping open mat today because it’s my friends birthday. 🥲

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Two sessions down - so far it’s been about smash passing and consolidating the final stages of the pass using the dagestani handcuff. Not what I was expecting, but very cool

drat this is exactly what I’ve been working the last couple of weeks, using Craig Jones’ leg pins from Power Ride. Getting real jelly over here.

Any key insights?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

stramit posted:

Skipping open mat today because it’s my friends birthday. 🥲

Man I know that feeling. I've skipped open mat for events that I wanted to do that were loads of fun but I still felt a little bummed.

It's probably a light addiction situation in my case. For example, I'm taking my son to his first concert tonight and we'll be home very late. I'm trying to work out the mental gymnastics for showing up to my morning gi class tomorrow because it'll put me in a funk if I don't go, even if it's a bad time.

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

What's all this racket up here, Barnett? You watchin' your girl cartoons again?
Got my brown belt a week ago.

Obligatory picture:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mannetosen posted:

Obligatory picture:

that's loving cool man and a pretty significant and hard earned achievement. congrats.

in my experience brown belts tend to have this thing where instead of patiently allowing lower belts to work their game a little and giving them opportunities to detect and defend attacks (common to a lot of purple and black belts) they fight you like you're gordon ryan. also every girl / boy they ever had a crush on is watching and judging them.
whether or not you join most of your brothers and sisters in this kind of weird behaviour, you've earned it.

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

What's all this racket up here, Barnett? You watchin' your girl cartoons again?

Marching Powder posted:

that's loving cool man and a pretty significant and hard earned achievement. congrats.

in my experience brown belts tend to have this thing where instead of patiently allowing lower belts to work their game a little and giving them opportunities to detect and defend attacks (common to a lot of purple and black belts) they fight you like you're gordon ryan. also every girl / boy they ever had a crush on is watching and judging them.
whether or not you join most of your brothers and sisters in this kind of weird behaviour, you've earned it.

My coach already refers to me as 'the missing link', so I guess some blrrghblaarrghmurdersmash is in order.

Mannetosen fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 27, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mannetosen posted:

Obligatory picture:

Congratulations!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Mannetosen posted:

Obligatory picture:

Congrats!

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Congrats

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That's sweet dude, brown is serious colour

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

:mummyface:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Grats!!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:mummyface:

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Congrats!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Grats!

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Mannetosen posted:

Obligatory picture:

Gratz, cuz! Pretty amazing :)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Congrats that’s awesome

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes
Congratulations!

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Congrats man! That’s awesome!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mannetosen posted:

Obligatory picture:

awesome, big congrats

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

gj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

hellyeah