Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
they should have had a worker droid pick up vader and run really fast to explain why obi doesnt finish him off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Man, if I was Vader I think I'd just pull a Grievous and have my brain and favorite guts stuffed into a jar, throw away the rest, and get a sick robot body.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Full-on robo body means no more connection to the Force, though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

drat if Vader has his other hand he'd be stronger than Starkiller

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Gonz posted:

Full-on robo body means no more connection to the Force, though.

Thats why you keep the guts and stuff, and I mean hes stronger now than he was when he had his whole body anyway so clearly he has some wiggle room. Chop a few more pieces off, he'd probably still be stronger than 99% of the galaxy

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

They way they swapped between Hayden and Jones was :discourse:

Very Twilight of the Apprentice

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Seriously. Two people in one show being able to survive a lightsaber to the gut without much of an explanation is ridiculous.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

teagone posted:

The amount of rocks that Obi-Wan was chucking at Vader was pretty comical. It did make me laugh. Just absurd.

Cage Kicker posted:

Hello there

maybe the whole thing is one big joke?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Obi-Wan broke the left side of Vader's helmet to talk with Anakin

Ahsoka broke the right to talk with Anakin

Luke unmasked Vader to talk with Anakin

:allears:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

drat if obi and snips worked together they could have turned off his monitor

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

obi wan put a tracker on vader, that's why he didn't kill him

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Bismuth posted:

Man, if I was Vader I think I'd just pull a Grievous and have my brain and favorite guts stuffed into a jar, throw away the rest, and get a sick robot body.

A good aloe vera handjob might be the only pleasure he has left in life, he probably doesn't want to give that up.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Seriously. Two people in one show being able to survive a lightsaber to the gut without much of an explanation is ridiculous.

The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some would consider to be unnatural. Like first aid training, interstellar teleportation...

Honestly, apart from the insane megalomania, the dark side clearly seems to be more useful and powerful. Yoda was full of poo poo, gimme dat red lightsaber, yo.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

That DICK! posted:

TLJ has the most going for it if you're looking at it from a critical perspective, which you shouldn't, because it was a bridging film for an objectively terrible trilogy series that took every opportunity to burn its own bridge. so when you walked into rise of skywalker you should have known they weren't gonna somehow deliver a good third act sequel that would have redeemed the trilogy as a whole. there was nothing to get mad about, just see a couple lightsabers, eat your popcorn, and enjoy the utter loving disaster-spectacle before you. stuff like palpatine coming back in fortnite, christ powers' rey, snoke in the jar etc. etc made me hoot and holler and laugh.

if ol' bulky is anything like me i totally understand ranking 9 above 8 based on your in-theatre enjoyment, since that's the one time most people would go to see any of those three films. i enjoyed TFA like everybody else, left TLJ thinking "welp this whole thing's gonna be a fuckin mess," and semi-ironically enjoyed ROS as a star wars inspired comedy

Exactly this. My first gut reaction to TLJ was to describe it as a "disjointed mess." The more I thought about it, the more annoyed I got. It remains the only movie I have ever given 1/10 stars on IMDB.

By the time I saw TLJ, I just wanted it all to be over. Somehow the Emperor came back? Sure. Whatever, gently caress it, that's fine. Oh, cool, giant waves like Nazarre, Portugal, that's cool. I like surfing. Is this Endor? Who the gently caress cares. Credits and music. Sigh of relief.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 22, 2022

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Lol the dates

Sentinel Red posted:

A good aloe vera handjob might be the only pleasure he has left in life, he probably doesn't want to give that up.

He was laying dick-first in that lava field, if that thing is still attached it probably looks like that hotdog someone put in an air fryer for 20 hours

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CODChimera posted:

The huntiest hunty hunt continues

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

My first gut reaction to TLJ was to describe it as a "disjointed mess." The more I thought about it, the more annoyed I got. It remains the only movie I have ever given 1/10 stars on IMDB.

lmao

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CODChimera posted:

Now the hunt truly, TRULY begins!

I can't wait to see what Auralnauts does with the rest of this.

Hah, just saw I was beaten.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I liked how inconsequential Reva was for the whole thing. What an incredible waste of time and resources.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bismuth posted:

Lol the dates

He was laying dick-first in that lava field, if that thing is still attached it probably looks like that hotdog someone put in an air fryer for 20 hours

i mean qui gon did cheat at dice to buy a kid and not his mom

maybe he was still in force purgatory

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Spermando posted:

'Cept for her first scene where she sounds fine and walks fine.
What, you mean when she threatened the water guy? She was clearly in pain during that scene too.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Also, goddamn, you'd think the Empire would pony up the cash to give its #2 a beskar helmet instead of something made from same brittle poo poo all the grunts get.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the mandos wear full body bescar and their civilization in shambles

the sith use robes and are at the top of the food chain

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Qui Gon: I was standing just slightly to your right this entire time.
Obi Wan: You know I never look there!

Alan Smithee posted:

the mandos wear full body bescar and their civilization in shambles

the sith use robes and are at the top of the food chain

Dex Build Supremacy :hmmyes:

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Jerusalem posted:

Qui Gon: I was standing just slightly to your right this entire time.
Obi Wan: You know I never look there!

Dex Build Supremacy :hmmyes:

With the right Feat you can use Wisdom instead when unarmored, which is optimal if you use the Force.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Yeah actually, vader is already a big stiff shambling bitch, electroplate his poo poo with beskar or something

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the idea that Vader's main force tricks/fighting tactics are all him being petty over ways Obi-Wan has defeated him in the past.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
That starship chase was almost as loving stupid as tlj

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Kinda annoyed how rubbish Vader’s lava fortress looks in this compared to in Rogue One. There it felt expansive, and he had attendants. But here it’s one very small room with a single chair that manages to make Vader look small and uncomfortable. I think that it’s the armrests being too high that does it. He’s like a small child in an armchair, and he’s having to lean forward a bit too and he just lacks menace. Add some shaky handcam cinematography on top and it’s like a videogame cutscene from the FMV era.

Also, him have a little desktop equivalent of the hologram space phone is okay in some circumstances, but even in ESB it was shown that he has a giant one he kneels in front of when talking to the emperor. It’s just not correct for him to chat with Reva and Palpatine on the same device. In ESB it’s the small one for the fleet commanders only.

I know this sounds like the pettiest of nitpicks on some level, but they did just sit Vader down on a chair that doesn’t fit him and got him to have a conversation with nothing and managed to have it look like poo poo and go against the existing established way of doing things because they were too cheap to build a second room for the Mustafar set and… I dunno, it bothers me.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Aunt Beru pulls out a fuckin assault rifle, then Sheev Palpatine personally shows up to say "everything that happened here was really loving stupid, and we will never speak of it again".

The hard pivot to comedy was a bold choice, but probably the best redemption of the series.

Spookydonut posted:

That starship chase was almost as loving stupid as tlj

That's obviously deliberate.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Bismuth posted:

Thats why you keep the guts and stuff, and I mean hes stronger now than he was when he had his whole body anyway so clearly he has some wiggle room. Chop a few more pieces off, he'd probably still be stronger than 99% of the galaxy

He's stronger because he's fully embraced the darkside but falling in lava after losing the rest of limbs severely capped his potential and is why sheev came up with the rule of one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teagone posted:

The amount of rocks that Obi-Wan was chucking at Vader was pretty comical. It did make me laugh. Just absurd.

Straight up poo poo out of Elden Ring, the Meteorite of Astel, along with Obi-Wan rolling around to dodge. :lol:

Necrothatcher posted:

"I'll check the Dune Sea!"

okay see you in a few years Obi

:lol: I also "loved" how quick he got there. We've been shown that hyperspace can take some time but this planet was nearby and Obi-Wan lands an hour or so after Luke took off. I thought for sure we'd see Tuskens since Owen drops the line that there are warnings of them raiding again.

gently caress. What a dumb finale to all this. OH we learned why Owen limps, NEAT (echos of "just Han..." "Han.... Soloooo" *groan*). And they just yoink one of the biggest scenes from Rebels when Ahsoka slashes Vader's helmet. That had more impact then whatever garbage this was.

I was pretty scared for Luke there - wow, such tension!!!! Imagine the balls on them to have actually killed him and then it's Filoni and Hidalgo sitting in a chair, in a white room telling you to gently caress yourself this is thew NU-Star Wars ala that Matrix game with the Wachowski siblings.

About the only saving grace was seeing Qui-Gon at the end. This should have just stayed on Tatooine with Obi-Wan dealing with poo poo there and an episode or two learning something from Qui-Gon.

Meh.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 22, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Kinda annoyed how rubbish Vader’s lava fortress looks in this compared to in Rogue One. There it felt expansive, and he had attendants. But here it’s one very small room with a single chair that manages to make Vader look small and uncomfortable. I think that it’s the armrests being too high that does it. He’s like a small child in an armchair, and he’s having to lean forward a bit too and he just lacks menace. Add some shaky handcam cinematography on top and it’s like a videogame cutscene from the FMV era.

Also, him have a little desktop equivalent of the hologram space phone is okay in some circumstances, but even in ESB it was shown that he has a giant one he kneels in front of when talking to the emperor. It’s just not correct for him to chat with Reva and Palpatine on the same device. In ESB it’s the small one for the fleet commanders only.

I know this sounds like the pettiest of nitpicks on some level, but they did just sit Vader down on a chair that doesn’t fit him and got him to have a conversation with nothing and managed to have it look like poo poo and go against the existing established way of doing things because they were too cheap to build a second room for the Mustafar set and… I dunno, it bothers me.

he's in his gamer phase

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I really have to recommend the old-EU books where its young obiwan with quigon.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Parkingtigers posted:

I think somebody here already said this, but it seriously looks like he's sitting in a Doom level from 1993, and it looks super awful.

Zellus fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 22, 2022

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
Jimmy Smits should have his own show

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

Also, goddamn, you'd think the Empire would pony up the cash to give its #2 a beskar helmet instead of something made from same brittle poo poo all the grunts get.

Pretty sure The Emperor purposely skimps on Vader's stuff to make him uncomfortable.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Had to go back to the Mustafar scene in Rogue One and revel in how much better they portrayed Vader here and the catty "be careful not to choke on your aspirations" .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHeNsynAMgE

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Exactly this. My first gut reaction to TLJ was to describe it as a "disjointed mess." The more I thought about it, the more annoyed I got. It remains the only movie I have ever given 1/10 stars on IMDB.

Woah bro u Rly showed them!

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Vintersorg posted:

the Wachowski siblings.

Ahem.

Zellus posted:

I think somebody here already said this, but it seriously looks like he's sitting in a Doom level from 1993, and it looks super awful.

Speaking of early 1990s computer games, the first shot of the Emperor's hologram looked terrible. It looks like only his mouth and left hand are moving, the rest is standing pixel-perfect still. I felt like I was watching the intro to 1994's TIE Fighter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvD_FDS_jE&t=114s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Vintersorg posted:

Had to go back to the Mustafar scene in Rogue One and revel in how much better they portrayed Vader here and the catty "be careful not to choke on your aspirations" .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHeNsynAMgE

This entire scene is so good. The reveal of the Mustafar fortress, the glimpse of Vader in the bacta tank to show his life is constant agony, the door opening to cast a massive Vader shadow standing next to a quaking tiny Crennic who is usually fearless. It's 3.5 minutes and does more to explain the internal Imperial power struggles and then Vader's place it than 6 episodes of this latest show.

Rogue One remains the best thing to ever come out of this franchise. It is the best Star War.