Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

McGavin posted:

The really dumb poo poo is that the consultant is close friends with the CEO and now her boss's job is in trouble, because in addition to wasting money by not doing the obvious thing that everyone told him to do, he wasted even more money by hiring a consultant.

Congratulations to your wife on her soon to be reality promotion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

esperantinc posted:

Congratulations to your wife on her soon to be reality promotion?

She just got promoted to be on his team, so there are several people in line in ahead of her. She landed in this situation where she's like "I don't understand why we aren't doing (typical industry practice). I'm pretty sure it's costing us sales." Her coworkers are all "It's the boss's call and we all told him it was a dumb idea." She's keeping her head down to avoid the fallout.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 20, 2022

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Escape From Noise posted:

There's a plan to make an imperial stout in September or so it's done around December/January. In the meeting we had, the boss wanted to know what we could add. Coffee and cacao were too "obvious" so I find myself trying to head poo poo off at the pass before I'm asked to make a peanut butter, marshmallow, vanilla, fruit, etc. imperial stout. Pitched smoked honey since the restaurant has a smoker. Why does poo poo have to be so loving extra every time?

I pitched my local brew pub on a vanilla-coffee porter a couple years ago as a winter seasonal and it worked well enough to put it into the year-round rotation. Sadly, it's also popular because part of the sales go to the local police fund. I didn't pitch that part. Instead of fruit or processed food flavors you could go for something like a winter warmer. It won't be just a standard imperial stout, but it won't be some crazy marshmallow beer either.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A darker chocolate/roasted malt and vanilla are my go-to flavours that I look for in a winter ale.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

McGavin posted:

A darker chocolate/roasted malt and vanilla are my go-to flavours that I look for in a winter ale.

Vanilla flavoring is an absolute must for me in a winter ale or a dark stout. But I do have a big love for a scotch ale, those are delicious.

I had a coconut Porter once. Some brewery in Hawaii made it, and it was ridiculous, like 11%. Knocked me on my rear end for a good time.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

My wife's boss hired a consultant to tell him something that literally everyone on the team already told him. (But he didn't want to hear.)

Work paid for a very, very expensive consultant to come in and figure out why IT was having serious issues with overtime, turnover, and training issues. After months of discussions with department heads and even meeting individuals, the consultant came back with: IT is understaffed to handle the current workload, resulting in more OT. People are leaving because of this workload, or burning out. Training has fallen behind because who has time.
This was met with a shock by multiple members of IT leadership, because there is no way they could have seen that. Despite having access to the number of hours of OT people worked, the empty desks, and the constant reports from compliance and audit that people weren't getting training accomplished.

The actual solution that happened is they hired a few more managers.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Gotta keep headcount low.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

CitizenKain posted:

The actual solution that happened is they hired a few more managers.

With several managers per employee they will be extra well managed and therefore happier and more productive.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ChickenDoodle posted:

Vanilla flavoring is an absolute must for me in a winter ale or a dark stout. But I do have a big love for a scotch ale, those are delicious.

I had a coconut Porter once. Some brewery in Hawaii made it, and it was ridiculous, like 11%. Knocked me on my rear end for a good time.

Sounds like the Kona Toasted Coconut stout they did back when they were around. I mean, they may still be around, but I haven't seen them in forever.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

I pitched my local brew pub on a vanilla-coffee porter a couple years ago as a winter seasonal and it worked well enough to put it into the year-round rotation. Sadly, it's also popular because part of the sales go to the local police fund. I didn't pitch that part. Instead of fruit or processed food flavors you could go for something like a winter warmer. It won't be just a standard imperial stout, but it won't be some crazy marshmallow beer either.

Yeah, we'll see. Overall things are improving. The lead in is going to be a normal stout so that I can harvest the yeast from that. That's been something I'm trying to get to be a more regular thing is re-pitching yeast. It also stops every beer from being too crazy because you need a normal beer to harvest yeast from. I think we can get there.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Zil posted:

Gotta keep headcount low.

Counting all those heads takes a lot of time. Lower headcount saves time and money on the counting.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Deschutes Jubelale was one of the best holiday beers of last year IMO - deviates from the 'chocolate stout w/ cinnamon' standard that seems to characterize a lot of winter warmer offerings while still being a heavy hearty ale that warms you to your core

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 21, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Due to our massive expansions, gear acquisitions, staff increases and funding successes our insurance costs have over doubled this year.

I also planned to propose a 15-20% across the board wage increase.

We're ruined.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

If you want your beer to warm you up, just put it in the microwave first.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Well they’re still signing my cheques while I lazily half-rear end my job :toot:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Has anyone said "pay me" yet??? :haw:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

My boss thinks its completely illogical that Internet Explorer has been retired because he thinks that since its been out for so long it must be the most patched up and solid browser out there. Any bug that could possibly have been in there should in his mind have been fixed by now.

We do software development here.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Chrs posted:

My boss thinks its completely illogical that Internet Explorer has been retired because he thinks that since its been out for so long it must be the most patched up and solid browser out there. Any bug that could possibly have been in there should in his mind have been fixed by now.

well it is on version 11. so clearly it must be the most stable and efficient browser out there

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Chrs posted:

Try doing software production instead! 11 versions! Wow what hustle.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nooner posted:

Has anyone said "pay me" yet??? :haw:

No it's smart of them to keep me paid. Hiring me, on the other hand...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chrs posted:

We had a bunch of internal sites go down on the 15th because the people responsible for them apparently didn't pay attention to the numerous emails going out for months about IE going away. Why in 2022 you would have websites that are ONLY accessible through a single web browser is beyond me, but LOL?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cthulu Carl posted:

We had a bunch of internal sites go down on the 15th because the people responsible for them apparently didn't pay attention to the numerous emails going out for months about IE going away. Why in 2022 you would have websites that are ONLY accessible through a single web browser is beyond me, but LOL?

afaik this is Corporate 101. My Girlfriend works at an enormous biotech company and a load of their older systems only run in Internet Explorer (with the fun of loads of warnings, IE basically screaming at you its unsafe). Their even older systems run fine, but are all inside an ancient IBM Lotus Notes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The US military basically runs on websites that are only accessible through IE and they're not going to be able to update those any time soon.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yeah, I've worked at a lot of places that had sites you could only access in IE, but it still blows my mind. I guess I know nothing about web development because I thought that poo poo was largely universal by this point so you could at least get sites to mostly render no matter what browser you used.

I also worked at a place that still had CRTs in all the cubicles in 2014. I'm glad I got moved to a different desk every few months because I probably wore out the degauss button on every monitor I sat at.

Also once I hit a cube mate there with the old CTRL+ALT+DOWN ARROW to invert the screen when he left his computer unlocked. I thought because we were IT he'd already know that one and just chuckle and fix it. Nope, he didn't. He came back, muttered, started moving things around and when I looked over, he hand his CRT monitor rotated 90 degrees and was trying to get it all the way upside down when I felt bad and fixed it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Modern browsers all more or less follow the standards but IE does things differently. It's a holdover from Microsoft's old strategy of trying to use their market share to force the rest of the world to follow their standards, so it very purposefully does things its own way.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IE for app building works on interfaces to your PC that have been expressly identified as bad ideas and programmed out of modern browsers on purpose. Normal modern browsers are very sandboxed. Legacy IE does things directly with and to your computer in a way you don't want websites to do.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A lot of the legacy software that straight up requires it is also just that - legacy software that people really, really don't want to pay to replace. I've seen this in .mil, .gov. and regular 'ol commercial settings.

Especially in the military and government world you're sometimes talking about a custom implementation of a piece of software that was spun up specifically for them anywhere from 10-20 years ago, and which replacing will require a whole acquisitions process. Even setting aside the monetary costs, the paperwork involved with finding a new vendor can be burdensome, and that's ignoring the actual operational issues with transitioning from Old Broke IE Dependent System A to New Hotness System B.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

In my experience in business software, IE will be like asbestos. Everywhere in old projects, difficult to remove, expensive to replace, and functionally identical to all the expensive replacements (unless something goes wrong).

Probably still see it lingering around in ancient systems until the next century at this rate.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Cheese Danish Stout
Orange Marshmallow Peep Stout
Smoked Pulled Pork Stout
Septuple Hopped IPA
Zero Carb Pilsner
Salmon Doppelbock

And I dunno, the usual boring/cheap/easy beers everyone always buys 4 pitchers of on game night.

Sour Patch Kids Mash IPA.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

satanic splash-back posted:

In my experience in business software, IE will be like asbestos. Everywhere in old projects, difficult to remove, expensive to replace, and functionally identical to all the expensive replacements (unless something goes wrong).

Probably still see it lingering around in ancient systems until the next century at this rate.

Someone somewhere is finishing up an official Text Document before they send it to the dot matrix printer.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

satanic splash-back posted:

that's already what it is and has been since its inception, which is why every 6 months you hear something new about IE being discontinued; and will in perpetuity.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Verdugo posted:

Sour Patch Kids Mash IPA.

There are already several sour gummy beers. Look up Ecto Cooler beer as well. There are like a billion different breweries with their own version.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

There are already several sour gummy beers. Look up Ecto Cooler beer as well. There are like a billion different breweries with their own version.

Wait, what?

Any you could recommend or do you just know of them and have not tried them?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I found Warheads sour beers in the discount bin at a liquor store in another town and only my wife has been brave enough to drink any of them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

At least the Germans got the 1516 purity law right.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Zil posted:

Wait, what?

Any you could recommend or do you just know of them and have not tried them?

I've just seen them. I'm pretty sure they're all just hazy citrus kettle sours with food dye.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

My boss fully, totally believes that there are still a ton of enhanced unemployment and child tax credits out there in the US that are keeping people from getting jobs. He uses this as a reason why our vendors don't have enough people on staff to produce to schedule. The problem is that I've been on most of the calls with suppliers having manpower issues. They're in the middle of nowhere and have each stated they needed to raise their starting rate to be in line with Amazon to even get applications. Worth noting here is that these are companies making (largely) aluminum castings. Vendors have to be careful about who they bring on and have to develop talent so they can work in some of the more high sensitivity operations if the new people don't have experience. So until the last few weeks these places were paying people less than $15 an hour to perform some really complex tasks to produce expensive parts at insane rates during COVID and my boss thinks the reason our vendors are unable to hire is because people don't want to work.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

My boss fully, totally believes that there are still a ton of enhanced unemployment and child tax credits out there in the US that are keeping people from getting jobs. He uses this as a reason why our vendors don't have enough people on staff to produce to schedule. The problem is that I've been on most of the calls with suppliers having manpower issues. They're in the middle of nowhere and have each stated they needed to raise their starting rate to be in line with Amazon to even get applications. Worth noting here is that these are companies making (largely) aluminum castings. Vendors have to be careful about who they bring on and have to develop talent so they can work in some of the more high sensitivity operations if the new people don't have experience. So until the last few weeks these places were paying people less than $15 an hour to perform some really complex tasks to produce expensive parts at insane rates during COVID and my boss thinks the reason our vendors are unable to hire is because people don't want to work.
The new economic talking point is actually that unemployment is too low, which forces wages to go up for competition, and that's what's driving inflation. Your boss is behind the times on blaming the poors.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Increased inflation usually results in capital strikes. Starve the workers into submission rather than raise wages by a cent. Lots of shops these days with one employee front-of-house and one back-of-house and that's it. If there's a line out the door so be it. If revenues are severely damaged by understaffing then so be it. Bosses got a taste of workers that talked back for a few months there and they did not like that one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.
This announcement by a local brewery made me think of this thread