Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The OG Ghostbusters is really gold for little kids who tend to a) love the emergency services and b) loving hate ghosts. I don't think there was any cynicism about that back in '84, but it sure worked out when it came to building a brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Disco Pope posted:

The OG Ghostbusters is really gold for little kids who tend to a) love the emergency services and b) loving hate ghosts. I don't think there was any cynicism about that back in '84, but it sure worked out when it came to building a brand.

This is really it, and I've never put it together like that. Kids really do be loving emergency services. Paw Patrol is literally all about this.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

Also, the 80s are a weird time for children's marketing because a lot of hard R movies and PG-13 movies branding was targeted at kids.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You say that as if it was the 90s Aliens and Predator toys that got me hooked on those franchises. :kiddo:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

You say that as if it was the 90s Aliens and Predator toys that got me hooked on those franchises. :kiddo:

Don't forget Robocop.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Robocop toys were eh. I didn’t see much of them because they were for the animated show. I did have one though that looked enough like robocop without any other crap

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think the only Robocop cartoon toy I have is the one that’s loosely based on the ED-209.

90s Aliens/Predator/Terminator toys on the other hand, I have a shitload of those.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The alien and predator toys were great but I was too picky of a kid back then. I ONLY wanted ones like the movie. I missed the AvP 2 pack, so I only got the blue alien, the Hive Wars blue Predator, the hive wars runner, the AvP 10” two pack and uhhhh…O’Malley lmao. The facehuger while very large was super cool.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Which toyline had a futuristic police car? Was that Robocop or C.O.P.S.?

Edit: it was Robocop, holy poo poo I wanted that car.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah companies that made toys and board games were always desperate to buy up any license that might have any brand recognition among kids.

Dune action figures "Ages 4 and up" yeah that film is going to be a real trip for any 4 year olds who got given a Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen action figure and wanted to watch the movie to see what happens to his cute pet cat :v:

The 1976 Dino de Laurentis remake of King Kong had a boatload of awful merchandise and toys and games

That board game seems to be especially tedious and lovely: https://moviesandmania.com/2012/12/24/king-kong-toys-games-1976/

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Wasn't there almost an Alien toy line back in 1979 for the original release? Imagine taking an 8 year old to that movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There was but I think a lot of adults forget that it doesn’t matter what the movie was, a cool monster is a cool monster and you buy that for your hero’s to fight.

I didn’t see virus when I was a kid but the toys were so cool me and my friend bought them all and played with them. We watched the movie when it came out on VHS tho.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

deoju posted:

Wasn't there almost an Alien toy line back in 1979 for the original release? Imagine taking an 8 year old to that movie.

There was a big Alien figure that got pulled from toy shelves because parents said “Jesus Christ, what are you guys doing??” and then a smaller Star Wars scaled line that didn’t get released, but then someone found the old molds of the smaller toys and a manufacturer made them about 5-6 years ago.

https://youtu.be/uKSv85mJEmY

I saw ‘Alien’ when I was 9, I begged my parents to let me watch it after I got the Snake Alien toy (which I specifically chose because my mom is afraid of snakes) and somehow they agreed. As you can plainly see, it had no effect on me whatsoever. :shepspends:

CelticPredator posted:

There was but I think a lot of adults forget that it doesn’t matter what the movie was, a cool monster is a cool monster and you buy that for your hero’s to fight.

I didn’t see virus when I was a kid but the toys were so cool me and my friend bought them all and played with them. We watched the movie when it came out on VHS tho.

I still have the Virus toys, they’re rad - especially the big electronic Goliath monster that’s scaled right with the human characters. The Alexei and Everton figures are standouts, too.

The same manufacturer did toys based on the video game Quake 2 and the Strogg figures are fantastic.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 21, 2022

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I saw Ghostbusters 2 in the cinema on release when I was 5, and I had already seen the first one one taped off TV, and loved the cartoon.

In retrospect, that was way too young. The terror dogs gave me nightmares and I often repeated the bad language without understanding what it meant at all. It's actually amazing how much Ghostbusters appeals to kids and how many kids have seen it despite its adult content.

That said, I had seen the Terminator before the sequel came out, when I guess I was 7 or 8? Never scared me at all; I just remember hating what I called "the gross kissing bit". I think my parents may not have had very good boundaries about films when I was little. Though I do remember my mum being angry about me watching Nightmare on Elm Street when I was 6 with my dad and older brother. Didn't get to see the second half for years.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Ages 8 and up

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Freddy is a fun villain.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kevyn posted:

Ages 8 and up

I remember seeing a bunch of these at toy shows in the late 80s/early 90s (when I was a kid) and being weirded out by it because I’d never seen any of the movies*. There was also this one:

The back of the box is intriguing because it promised other ones I was definitely more interested in, like that Alien (a movie I had seen! Just the thing for cultivating a fear of the dark! :gonk:). Sadly they only made the Freddy one before the line was cancelled.

*still haven’t!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

deoju posted:

There was a bunch of tie-in merch released in '79 including a board game, a "shoot em up" toy, a jigsaw puzzle that came packaged inside an egg, etc etc: https://www.dreadcentral.com/last-toys-on-the-left/262691/whatever-happened-original-line-alien-1979-toys/

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have the 1979 Alien board game, it’s pretty neat.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6689/alien

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

deoju posted:

The big action figure of the Alien had "extendable inner jaws" as a bullet point on the box, which became a family joke for us. (No, I wasn't allowed to buy it.)

Something else funny was that I didn't see it in a toy shop or similar; it was in a random newsagent's where I was on holiday. Bucket, spade, beachball, murderous space nightmare - the usual.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 21, 2022

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I saw Ghostbusters 2 in the cinema on release when I was 5, and I had already seen the first one one taped off TV, and loved the cartoon.

In retrospect, that was way too young. The terror dogs gave me nightmares and I often repeated the bad language without understanding what it meant at all. It's actually amazing how much Ghostbusters appeals to kids and how many kids have seen it despite its adult content.

That said, I had seen the Terminator before the sequel came out, when I guess I was 7 or 8? Never scared me at all; I just remember hating what I called "the gross kissing bit". I think my parents may not have had very good boundaries about films when I was little. Though I do remember my mum being angry about me watching Nightmare on Elm Street when I was 6 with my dad and older brother. Didn't get to see the second half for years.

I saw it on release in the cinema too and was so afraid of Vigo at the end that I had to "watch" him by turning around and looking at the tiny image in the projector. I don't think I saw the first film until a little later, but I was crazy about the cartoon. I don't remember being bothered by anything else and I was a, uh, "sensitive" child, but its possible it got cuts in the UK for a PG rating.

I remember afterwards my Dad and I went to Wimpy for a Ghostbusters meal that included pink slime (milkshake) and a ghost in a can, which I didn't touch for years in the belief a fully formed spirit would emerge. Wish I kept it - combined Wimpy/Ghostbusters merch would be quite collectable I assume!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

GB2 is way scarier than GB1.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I disagree on the basis of the chair scene alone. It tormented me as a child. Couldn't handle being in a dark room with the door shut because if someone turned a light on in the next room, the light that appeared around the door made me think the dog was coming to get me.

Although I do think whatever one seems scarier is entirely based on what film you saw first as a child.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 23, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Karloff posted:

I disagree on the basis of the chair scene alone. It tormented me as a child. Couldn't handle being in a dark room with the door shut because if someone turned a light on in the next room, the light that appeared around the door made me think the dog was coming to get me.

Yes, that scene specifically is probably the most terrifying, but GB2 has the severed heads, Janosz with light up eyes in the hallway, WIIIIINSTOOOOOONE, Vigo himself, and the Scoleri brothers (Nunzi especially :stare:).

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The light up eyes did definitely stick in my brain for a long time. It's such a weird image that probably sounded goofy in the script "his eyes turn to torches so he can see in the dark", but in practise it's just incredibly eerie. I think it's the timing of it, the way he turns from the door and there's a brief moment before his eyes light up. Also the way he has that fixed grin on his face as he's doing it.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Karloff posted:

The light up eyes did definitely stick in my brain for a long time. It's such a weird image that probably sounded goofy in the script "his eyes turn to torches so he can see in the dark", but in practise it's just incredibly eerie. I think it's the timing of it, the way he turns from the door and there's a brief moment before his eyes light up. Also the way he has that fixed grin on his face as he's doing it.

And that it was a mostly practical effect that took an insane amount of engineering.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yes, that scene specifically is probably the most terrifying, but GB2 has the severed heads, Janosz with light up eyes in the hallway, WIIIIINSTOOOOOONE, Vigo himself, and the Scoleri brothers (Nunzi especially :stare:).

The library ghost and the cab driver bothered me in GB1, but probably because they were cut from the first TV showing I saw, so their sudden appearance next time had a "no rules today, kiddo!" vibe.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

The library ghost and the cab driver bothered me in GB1, but probably because they were cut from the first TV showing I saw, so their sudden appearance next time had a "no rules today, kiddo!" vibe.

I had the exact same experience! The first version I watched had loads of stuff taken out including the hands coming out of the chair (it was edited so the chair span round and shot her through the door only). Various close up shots of the Terror Dogs were removed. Library ghost cut away just before the transformation. Stuff like Weaver growling and roaring was gone. Most amusingly "This man has no dick" had the word dick replaced with a sound clip of "twinkie" from earlier in the film.

However despite all that it still scared me as a kid. But slowly I got over it. Until I saw the uncut one and massively regressed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Karloff posted:

I had the exact same experience! The first version I watched had loads of stuff taken out including the hands coming out of the chair (it was edited so the chair span round and shot her through the door only). Various close up shots of the Terror Dogs were removed. Library ghost cut away just before the transformation. Stuff like Weaver growling and roaring was gone. Most amusingly "This man has no dick" had the word dick replaced with a sound clip of "twinkie" from earlier in the film.

However despite all that it still scared me as a kid. But slowly I got over it. Until I saw the uncut one and massively regressed.

I had a much different version taped for me as a kid, which I think was the standard tv version:

-fewer hands from the chair, but still there
- "we came we saw" was "what a knock about great fun THAT was"
- in the mayor's office "Until the power grid was shut off by wally Wick here!" "Is this true?" "Yes, your honour, this man is some kind of rodent, I don't know which."
- the removal of "you've been running your rear end off meeting and greeting every schizo..."
- no BJ scene, to the surprise of no one. Just literally jump cut from the "Ow!" part in the song to Winston looking up at the sign.
- "I have seen stuff that'll turn you white!"

Unfortunately, my copy only started when Peter says "You're no fluke, Jennifer", so I don't know what the college scene or opening is like.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Disco Pope posted:

I remember afterwards my Dad and I went to Wimpy for a Ghostbusters meal that included pink slime (milkshake) and a ghost in a can, which I didn't touch for years in the belief a fully formed spirit would emerge. Wish I kept it - combined Wimpy/Ghostbusters merch would be quite collectable I assume!

This is amazing! I had exactly the same experience after seeing the film where my Mum took me to Wimpy. I had two of those ghost cans and never risked opening either of them.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
It’s weird how no matter how many times you watch the real version, it still always feels “off” compared to the recorded-off-tv copy you watched 300 times as a kid. I’m like that with Stand By Me, my favorite film of all time. I still expect the line to be “Chopper, sic kid!” instead of “Chopper, sic balls!” and for there to be a commercial break right after Teddy cries about his father.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kevyn posted:

It’s weird how no matter how many times you watch the real version, it still always feels “off” compared to the recorded-off-tv copy you watched 300 times as a kid. I’m like that with Stand By Me, my favorite film of all time. I still expect the line to be “Chopper, sic kid!” instead of “Chopper, sic balls!” and for there to be a commercial break right after Teddy cries about his father.

Yeah, I can still see and hear the beginnings of all of the MITV (east coast Canada) commercials from my version.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just found out that, around 2 weeks ago, the official GB channel uploaded one of the best RGB episodes, 'The Devil to Pay', to youtube.

Here ya go. Maybe it's not one of the best, but it's in my top 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1KX_pQc8Pg

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

- in the mayor's office "Until the power grid was shut off by wally Wick here!" "Is this true?" "Yes, your honour, this man is some kind of rodent, I don't know which."
hahahahaha, yes, this is absolutely the version we had on self-taped VHS.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Just found out that, around 2 weeks ago, the official GB channel uploaded one of the best RGB episodes, 'The Devil to Pay', to youtube.

Here ya go. Maybe it's not one of the best, but it's in my top 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1KX_pQc8Pg

I see they've got 'Ghostbuster Of The Year' which scared the crap out of me as a kid

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Amazon Prime has 10 volumes of the Real Ghostbusters up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

text me a vag pic posted:

Hell yea this is gonna be my white noise show to carry me until October

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Not in Canada :argh:

Edit: good news! The CTV app has them all!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 10, 2022

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
So I went back and Ghostbusters 2 for the first time in well over a decade, and it's a lot better than I remembered. The opening act is funnier than my memory told me it was, including Egon getting a reading from Dana when she's talking about Peter. But what I took away is that the second act is way too cluttered with too many things going on. The first movie gave itself a bit of a breather between the montage and Dana getting attacked by the chair, and the second just doesn't give itself time to ground itself. I had a feeling that was the case going in from my memories of previous watches, but this watch cemented it. Also, because it whips from set piece to set piece, it feels a lot shorter than the first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Now Bezos is speaking my language