Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't see any way to read this other than either "mothers shouldn't value their kids if they're boring, blonde, and white" or "I don't value kid lives if they're boring, blonde, and white" and either way....yuck. I hope I'm wrong.

I think another way to read the post in question is this movie spent absolutely no effort or time giving the children characters personalities despite those characters be at the absolute emotional center of the movie. Those kids are hardly more than cardboard cut outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

After I finish moving I’m gonna watch all the hobbits and then all the lotrs extendeds in a row

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah it's understandable why Wanda would care about them, less clear why the audience would.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

A MIRACLE posted:

After I finish moving I’m gonna watch all the hobbits and then all the lotrs extendeds in a row

No don't, you'll die!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

If you're into self punishment you could just read the books again

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Also the hobbit sequels were legit. Especially the extended versions

I didn't really care for the theatrical versions. I thought that the extended editions, like with LOTR, made them better movies. But then I saw a fan edit where they cut out all material that wasn't directly in The Hobbit, and edited it down into one movie, and thought it was the best version, as much as I loved seeing what Gandalf was up to when he left the party. The third act (or film) is still a little rough though because Peter Jackson openly admitted that he filmed it without a script, and just shot a bunch of random action scenes together.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I don't see any way to read this other than either "mothers shouldn't value their kids if they're boring, blonde, and white" or "I don't value kid lives if they're boring, blonde, and white" and either way....yuck. I hope I'm wrong.

lmao what

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i think they're making a joke about how her kids are total non-entities. i sure don't even remember their names or anything about them (i didn't watch wandavision)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think another way to read the post in question is this movie spent absolutely no effort or time giving the children characters personalities despite those characters be at the absolute emotional center of the movie. Those kids are hardly more than cardboard cut outs.

yes, it's this

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I dunno guys, I guess I'm not in a place where a movie specifically has to (virtually) reach across the aisle and say "you shouldn't want these kids to die because they're funny/interesting/quirky/whatever". I guess though that these films are consumable products with an air of unreality, so it's like "look I don't care who these people are supposed to be, I want to see the quips and the explosions." And those kids definitely don't deliver on that angle, yeah.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Was the kids singing about ice cream supposed to endear them to me? Because it didn't at all and I even have two boys of similar age

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
My precious children are named Macguffin 1 and Macguffin 2

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't read comics, but I've been super into the MCU. I went to see this in the theater with a couple of friends, and my friend who reads the comics was super ecstatic about it. My other friend and I though were super lukewarm on the movie, and thought it was a lower middle tier MCU movie. For all the crazy action, very little in the movie actually happened plot wise, and it only advanced the main MCU plot in the 30 second mid credits sequence.

Other stray spoilery thoughts:

There's no way Wanda is actually dead since they didn't show her death on screen. Her story still isn't over, and they're gearing up for Young Avengers, and there is apparently no way they do that without Billy and Tommy. Plus Vision is still out there somewhere.

I feel like John Krasinski isn't actually going to be their choice to play Mr Fantastic, since this was in another universe, this was just Marvel giving into fan casting and say, here, this is what he would be like as this character, but that's all you're going to get. Fun use of Black Bolt too, even though I never watched that TV show.

My biggest problem with the movie actually was that almost every major twist or action piece was featured in the trailers. By the time I saw the movie, collectively, I felt like I had seen it already. Disney needs to cut that out with their trailers, Feige was saying the same thing about MCU trailers lately. Leave something for surprise!

Glad you finally figured that out after only 28 films and 7 Disney Plus shows! Don't exactly understand why you would keep going to see stuff that you know you don't like.

I haven't watched it since the theater but when I saw it there I swear there was a little red "puff" of her magic in the corner right before the temple collapsed, I assumed it was her teleporting away or whatever

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Medullah posted:

I haven't watched it since the theater but when I saw it there I swear there was a little red "puff" of her magic in the corner right before the temple collapsed, I assumed it was her teleporting away or whatever

I saw that too, and that was my thought.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

precision posted:

i think they're making a joke about how her kids are total non-entities. i sure don't even remember their names or anything about them (i didn't watch wandavision)

They were basically props in the tv show

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Medullah posted:

There is but it's ambiguous whether it's like the last burst of light when you snuff out a candle or something else.

But it doesn't matter anyway because there are infinite other Wanda's out there, if this one is dead you can just hop to another universe and grab another.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Papercut posted:

But it doesn't matter anyway because there are infinite other Wanda's out there, if this one is dead you can just hop to another universe and grab another.

People keep saying this but the appeal of the MCU is that people have invested years into the story and characters. I don't see people just rolling with it if they start Beerfesting characters.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

They were basically props in the tv show

One thing that genuinely bothered me in WandaVision was when the illusion was shattered and her fake reality is collapsing, she puts her boys to bed and then walks away, accepting that they will be destroyed out of her sight. It was so they could soften the impact of their "death"/dissolution, but it really rang false to me. No parent is going to walk in the next room and let their drat kids die in solitude. Very false moment but Actually Being Present For The Kid Death would be a truly dramatic scene and we can't have that.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

live with fruit posted:

People keep saying this but the appeal of the MCU is that people have invested years into the story and characters. I don't see people just rolling with it if they start Beerfesting characters.

I'm not sure I agree, or at least not sure Disney agrees, based on the way Christine was used in this movie

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Papercut posted:

I'm not sure I agree, or at least not sure Disney agrees, based on the way Christine was used in this movie

Nobody cares about Christine.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Papercut posted:

Those kids are literally a parody of like 80s cereal commercials if I remember the Wanda tv show correctly?
This would explain a lot.

Also lol at megaman bein like "prejudice against whites maybe??? Oh NOOOO"

But yeah i just meant they felt like non-entities out of a juice commercial or some poo poo and I guess they...literally were.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

I might be overly mean to them cuz i was dragged to them by friends (only seen the theatrical versions) and they truly dragged but the third one just felt like i was watching like...Total War battles for 300 hours.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Even the idea that they were fake constructs from half remembered bad TV doesn't track because these kids did exist as real live people in different universes.

Papercut posted:

Was the kids singing about ice cream supposed to endear them to me? Because it didn't at all and I even have two boys of similar age

Very same. It was like they tossed "Add kids character development scene here" in the original script but then let an algorithm write what was eventually added.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think the truly disheartening thing was how little "Raimi" it felt like really came across. I guess it's naive to have expected a soul of any kind, but I mean, Taiki and Gunn kiiiinda come across with their contributions to the boring 3 hour long punchman genre.
I really wish Raimi's latest film in nearly a decade had been, well, actually a Sam Raimi movie. Seems like a waste.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I think the truly disheartening thing was how little "Raimi" it felt like really came across. I guess it's naive to have expected a soul of any kind, but I mean, Taiki and Gunn kiiiinda come across with their contributions to the boring 3 hour long punchman genre.
I really wish Raimi's latest film in nearly a decade had been, well, actually a Sam Raimi movie. Seems like a waste.

Raimi hasn't made a Raimi film in 13 years. That guy is probably gone.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

live with fruit posted:

Raimi hasn't made a Raimi film in 13 years. That guy is probably gone.
Well I should mention I never saw his Oz movie. Hasnt he been working on that Evil Dead show? I heard that was good. I did finally watch Drag Me to Hell (on like, Hulu I think) and that was fun and recognizably Raimi, so I guess I'm fine with that sorta kinda bein his last film.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Well I should mention I never saw his Oz movie. Hasnt he been working on that Evil Dead show? I heard that was good. I did finally watch Drag Me to Hell (on like, Hulu I think) and that was fun and recognizably Raimi, so I guess I'm fine with that sorta kinda bein his last film.

Ash vs Evil Dead got cancelled but yes he was working on it and it was good, yes.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The only reason to ever watch his Oz movie is so you can then listen to the recent Blank Check podcast episode about it. It is an astonishingly bad film.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

The only reason to ever watch his Oz movie is so you can then listen to the recent Blank Check podcast episode about it. It is an astonishingly bad film.

A nine year break after Oz makes sense.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also lol at megaman bein like "prejudice against whites maybe??? Oh NOOOO"

Not caring about a character doesn't make you prejudiced against them, and you had a couple of other descriptors too. It was more like "these kids are soooo boring...why should anyone care about them?" and it's like well the audience doesn't have to, it's certainly a choice, but their mother probably should. That's just basic characterization.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

A MIRACLE posted:

I only saw the first one. That was in theatres and the whole time I was thinking "why does the frame rate look like rear end?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I dunno guys, I guess I'm not in a place where a movie specifically has to (virtually) reach across the aisle and say "you shouldn't want these kids to die because they're funny/interesting/quirky/whatever". I guess though that these films are consumable products with an air of unreality, so it's like "look I don't care who these people are supposed to be, I want to see the quips and the explosions." And those kids definitely don't deliver on that angle, yeah.

have you met kids? frankly, more of them should be murdered

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disgusting

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Field Mousepad posted:

DC stuff is more grounded in reality, as much as comic book stuff can be. Marvel is just over the top ridiculous, you know like most comic books.

I'm not super familiar with Marvel comics so maybe that's what the fans want. I just think they could've relied less on cg as huge set pieces

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

For some reason I heard this in Creedy's voice from V For Vendetta.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The kids are annoying MacGuffins, which makes Wanda come off like a hysterical woman.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Macrame_God posted:

I only saw the first one. That was in theatres and the whole time I was thinking "why does the frame rate look like rear end?"

I wonder if James Cameron will try to make another push for higher movie frame rates to catch on with Avatar 2. Logically it does make sense, but we’re so conditioned to “24 fps = movie” I wonder if anybody over a certain age could ever get used to it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

there was a ton of Raimi cinematography in the movie but none of the charm

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

For some reason I heard this in Creedy's voice from V For Vendetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I like the first few episodes of The Bear on Hulu. How do I find a restaurant like this?