Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bike tory posted:

But it destroys the items on them! :gonk:

I usually eyeball the enemy to see if I think I can get a wand of frost hit in without killing them with it. Or if they have an item I really really can't stand to lose, I won't use it on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

bike tory posted:

True, but in a lot of cases it's short sword and a suit of leather armour, so I'm not too bothered.

Edit: Also, yes, one can use it just to soften them up. As long as it doesn't kill shot, the body is lootable. Scorcher seems similar, but the damage is pro-rated over two rounds and it's easy to accidentally set fire to a comrade.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

True, but in a lot of cases it's short sword and a suit of leather armour, so I'm not too bothered.

Edit: Also, yes, one can use it just to soften them up. As long as it doesn't kill shot, the body is lootable. Scorcher seems similar, but the damage is pro-rated over two rounds and it's easy to accidentally set fire to a comrade.

I quite like the potions of fire breath. They do a lot of damage. You can friendly fire your party with them but they hit so hard they're worth it sometimes. 6d10 on a failed save is a ton of damage in bg1.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

bike tory posted:

Dear Lieutenant Vai: You'll find enclosed partially dissolved slush in the amounts of 15 bandit scalps. Please send 750 gold pieces to the sirene cave along the coast c/o the suspicious thief searching for men in the bushes. Yours truly, CHARNAME.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Ginette Reno posted:

I quite like the potions of fire breath. They do a lot of damage. You can friendly fire your party with them but they hit so hard they're worth it sometimes. 6d10 on a failed save is a ton of damage in bg1.

Love 'em. I use them as soon as I find them. (usually on mages)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

Love 'em. I use them as soon as I find them. (usually on mages)

I feel like they'll go right through mirror images too. Not sure about minor globes. I could be wrong but I swear they hit pretty reliably on enemy mages even if they have defenses up. I'd have to test it more.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Supposedly if you turn gore off in the options cold damage won't destroy items any more, but I've never put that to the test

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
That mage in the big bandit tent? Jaheira walks right up to him and engulfs his whole universe in fire.

Then I say Toasty! out loud.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Has anyone used the Project Infinity tool to install mods?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
bout to give Imoen the boot in favor of motherfucking Coran

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Empty Sandwich posted:

I like Imoen, although it stood out for me in my recent BG1 playthrough how she breaks certain parts of the story. Like when Elminster tells you Gorion gave up everything to raise you and how much he loved his Bhaal-sent baby and it's like uh, hey, Gorion adopted another kid who's standing right over there. Or when Sarevok's diary claimed that he marked you as a Bhaalspawn in Candlekeep before the game starts because of distinctive markings that he would be able to find on any Bhaalspawn, like oh, say, the other adopted child of the guy he's already interested in who's the same age as the person he just confirmed is a bhaalspawn. :v:

I know she was a late addition to 1 and they didn't even officially confirm that she was a B-S until 2, but in a perfect world it would have been cool if she was just a little more tied into the plot in 1. Just to the extent of adding a line to Gorion's journal in his room in Candlekeep saying he barred her from coming with you at the beginning of the game to split you up to reduce the chances of you both being caught and killed. And maybe if you kick you out of your party you can hit a random encounter where she's being attacked by assassins or something.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

bike tory posted:

Has anyone used the Project Infinity tool to install mods?

Yes. If you only install a few, like 5-10 or so, it's pretty good! Once you get up into a higher number of mods, specifically with lots of optional components you tick on or off, the program slows to a crawl, taking absolute ages between ticks. It frustrated the hell out of me.

On top of that, Windows Defender thinks it has a Trojan in it, so you gotta go into your settings and deliberately exclude it from the live protection etc.

I got annoyed at it and just installed the mods manually in the end. Helps if you have a general install order around to follow though.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Just out of interest, how do trade marks work with D&D and people creating their own modules or games or whatever? Is it just place names and characters or will you get slammed down for doing something with an xvart casting Magic Missile(TM) or whatever?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

docbeard posted:

Supposedly if you turn gore off in the options cold damage won't destroy items any more, but I've never put that to the test

That would make sense - no gibbing, thawed or frozen.

Ginette Reno posted:

That is a lot of damage, but I have terrible hoarder tendencies.

The consumable that I like are those Potions of Regeneration. Unfortunately, they are quite rare. They do a ton of healing in non-combat situations. I think that their effect should be a druid spell, about level 5, since druids don't get Heal.

Fake Edit: Druids *do* get heal; is that 2e cannon? Still, it should be a spell and/or those potions should be more common.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm pretty sure druids have always gotten heal in 2md edition. They don't get raise dead (except Jaeheria).

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Use your consumables as soon as possible as much as possible! 😈

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Empty Sandwich posted:

Coran is the best NPC, no questions asked. Just bring him along. The BG2 mod included. He can pick pockets, he can break locks, he can untrap things.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Just out of interest, how do trade marks work with D&D and people creating their own modules or games or whatever? Is it just place names and characters or will you get slammed down for doing something with an xvart casting Magic Missile(TM) or whatever?

This is generally determined by whether it is included in the System Reference Document or not. Anything in the SRD is fair game for independent publishers to use under the Open-Gaming License when making their own D&D content to sell.

More information about that here: https://dnd.wizards.com/resources/systems-reference-document

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
e: nvm, I was thinking of something else.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 25, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Giving this series another try and the games are finally clicking for me! hell yeah. Trying to keep spoilers low but I mean its an old game so

How important is juggling companions? Just had Xzar and his friend leave after trying to fit Dynaheir in my party, and the next thing I feel like I should do is go pick up another pair of companions @ the Friendly Arms, which will mean kicking someone else out.

Team right now is me (barbarian), Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Neera. Between Neera, mainchar, and Imoen, I feel pretty ready for most things I'll encounter, can I treat the other slots as just kinda rotating guest spots? Or are there other necessary people I'm gonna run in to down the road? Quests that are especially worth doing? I checked a companion list and there are a lot...

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 25, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Most companions don't have quests and the ones that do aren't really important or in depth. Might be different for the companions added in EE like Neera.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

All of this assumes an unmodded game.

Some companions will get vocal if you don't do something specific within a particular time frame (it will be obvious when this is happening) and will eventually leave if you completely ignore that.

There are a few NPC pairs as you've already seen, that you can't (easily, there are ways) split up. There are also groupings of NPCs that don't get along and may eventually come to blows.

The EE-added companions (Dorn, Neera, Rasaad) all have their own sidequests.

There aren't really any 'necessary' companions, and they really just add a little flavor. SoD and BG2 are where they actually start to exhibit personalities (and questlines) of their own.

Just build for what you want in a balanced party first.

e. Oh, and evil companions will get unhappy the higher your rep gets and can leave when it's maxed out. Good companions react similarly to a low rep. Neutral companions get pissy but I don't think they ever leave. I also don't think Imoen will ever leave due to rep though she might get upset.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I won't lie, killing Khalid and removing his dead body from the party to separate him from Jaheira has become so routine for me that I usually just make everyone auto-attack him as soon as they join the party next to the bar inside the inn. Monstrous? Well, sure. Very time efficient though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
There's a mod for him that turns him into an archery-focused warrior/mage, which fits his... eccentricities better, in my opinion.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Randallteal posted:

I like Imoen, although it stood out for me in my recent BG1 playthrough how she breaks certain parts of the story.

almost her whole existence is basically a retcon, now that you mention it

Rappaport posted:

Coran is the best NPC, no questions asked. Just bring him along. The BG2 mod included. He can pick pockets, he can break locks, he can untrap things.

I've never used him before. he's a staggering archer, but his portrait is unsettling.

just finished Dorn's quest and now my f/m charname is in BG proper wearing some comfy elven chain. :frogc00l:

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

Coran's portrait is the face of a serial killer.

(It's actually the face of a BioWare employee, they used a lot of pictures from there to make the original portraits.)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

other official portraits of him are not much better lol

this is from the cover of the WOTC Murder in Baldur's Gate module:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

JustJeff88 posted:

There's a mod for him that turns him into an archery-focused warrior/mage, which fits his... eccentricities better, in my opinion.

I'm of conflicting thoughts on this. On one hand, it is very easy at least to console commands in a few Tomes to make the entire cast be great, but on the other hand, it's fun seeing how you can adapt to the companions with itemization.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd be curious, but afaik, any character is workable in BG.

My main gripe is that some characters come super late, Tiax for example, and don't get their share of the spotlight unmodded.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Khalid has 15 STR, 16 DEX and 17 CON. Those are some loving amazing stats for a fighter. What's wrong with all of you....

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

Khalid has 15 STR, 16 DEX and 17 CON. Those are some loving amazing stats for a fighter. What's wrong with all of you....

Yeah he's a pretty good archer or tank. His dps is kinda poo poo if he melees but that's fixable with strength spell or pots or ogre gauntlets.

His morale sucks but that's also fixable with Kiel's helmet or remove fear.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Suspicious posted:

That's an almost identical stat line to Montaron (but with less str and dex). I definitely wouldn't call it "loving amazing". And he's tied for worst morale failure in the game, which isn't great for a front line fighter. And if I wanted an archer I'd take Kivan first.

With that said, if I didn't normally play a fighter-type I'd take him more often just for lack of choice.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

Even ignoring his morale failures, Kivan and Coran make for better archers. Minsc and Ajantis make for better frontliners. And let's not even begin to compare any of those with Kagain.

That said, he's perfectly serviceable, really. Just worse than the alternatives for min/max purposes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rythian posted:

Even ignoring his morale failures, Kivan and Coran make for better archers. Minsc and Ajantis make for better frontliners. And let's not even begin to compare any of those with Kagain.

That said, he's perfectly serviceable, really. Just worse than the alternatives for min/max purposes.

Coran will get +3 more thaco and Kivan will get +2 more thaco early on than Khalid thanks to 17 dex plus being an elf. Khalid only has 16 dex. However, Kivan can't get Grandmastery in bows, while Khalid can. Therefore Khalid gets an extra half attack eventually compared to Kivan, and Khalid does 3 more damage/hit with his bow eventually compared to Kivan/Coran.

Khalid also will level faster than both, and get +2 more thaco than both thanks to Grandmastery bonuses which should somewhat even out the penalties he takes for lower dex. That's on top of hitting harder.

Khalid be underrated imo.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

I agree that he's underrated, since a pure-class Fighter can always be useful.

But you need to be a minimum of level 9 to get Grandmastery, and for a fighter that requires more than the base XP cap for fighters in BG1. Khalid starts with only one pip in Longbows rather than 2, so he needs to go all the way to 12.

Once you hit SoD you can pick up Corwin who's better than all of them.

And this is a separate thing but worth mentioning, since it's involving magic items and that could go to anyone, but you can give anyone gauntlets of 18/00 STR or 18 DEX to cover any low stats.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

bike tory posted:

other official portraits of him are not much better lol

this is from the cover of the WOTC Murder in Baldur's Gate module:

The only good one I've found of him is the one in the Heroes of Baldur's Gate module and now I use most of the pics out of that one for the BG1 crew's portraits.

https://i.redd.it/iwb9sv8l4qf41.jpg

And someone contacted Mike Sass a while back, the portrait artist for the games and asked him if he could remember his references. It's pretty interesting.

https://i.redd.it/i90flguyn4l81.jpg

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Khalid also shows up at level one, when archery fighters are at their most valuable. He’s very good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Canonically (my mod canon) Khalid is a fighter/mage and Jaheira is a fighter/totemic druid. I'm fixing God's mistakes!

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

docbeard posted:

Canonically (my mod canon) Khalid is a fighter/mage and Jaheira is a fighter/totemic druid. I'm fixing God's mistakes!
Yeah I like this.

I almost always run with mods to change some NPC kits and stuff. Like Kivan being an Archer just makes sense. I mean he's got a bow on his portrait!

I also like making Ajantis a Cavalier and Kagain a Dwarven Defender.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
15/16/17 *is* loving amazing. I'm trying to think of a DM I know who'd let me play a 2e fighter with those stats. And it's not just the stats. You get him basically immediately and for free (no reaction check, no timed quest). Also he isn't evil so he won't whine about reputation.

15 strength lets him equip full plate unassisted. You need more melee damage out of him? Use a potion of giant strength. You know, those things you 're hoarding and never using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Suspicious posted:

15/16/17 *is* loving amazing. I'm trying to think of a DM I know who'd let me play a 2e fighter with those stats. And it's not just the stats. You get him basically immediately and for free (no reaction check, no timed quest). Also he isn't evil so he won't whine about reputation.

15 strength lets him equip full plate unassisted. You need more melee damage out of him? Use a potion of giant strength. You know, those things you 're hoarding and never using?

Technically there is a timed quest (or at least Jaheira has one) but setting foot in Nashkel (you might have to talk to Bardolan but either way nbd) settles it.

But yeah he's solid if you do something about his morale (and you should have Remove Fear prepped on someone anyway). I tend not to take him mostly because my favorite NPC mods tend to fill that niche a bit better than he does (even if I've modded his class).

Related, don't sleep on the third level cleric/druid spell Strength of One. Unless you have someone with natural strength higher than 18/75 (and I think items that set your strength higher will work regardless) it's an amazing melee buff for pretty much every NPC. And it lasts a while too, I think.