Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

My neighbor has me thinking a lot about planting blueberries in the fall. Any recommendations for blueberries for zone 6?
Something else I forgot to mention is that if you'd like a decent yield (or pollination at all, in most cases) you'll want different cultivars, and ones that will bloom at about the same time, depending on when you want the berries. There are early, mid, and late season berries.

In short, Northern Highbush:
Cross-pollination chart
Ripening chart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
So much great information. Thank you so much for sharing! That helps!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Also if you're planning to plant blueberries in the fall, start trying to acidify the soil in your planting site with diluted vinegar and/or sulfur now.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Our soil is pretty naturally acidic, but I’m going to test the area I plan to plant them soon to see what it’s reading.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I have a small blueberry in its nursery pot that I purchased back in Spring with the intent to make it into a quick-n-dirty clip+grow bonsai. How shallow of a pot can I reasonably use?

I’ve got sand/soil trays on hand for overwintering/summering

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Update: added another little raised bed:

And sowed collards and more bok choy plus the "spicy" transplants on the left

My three sisters mound is coming along:

And I got my first fruit on peppers:

It's Impala cayenne. Also my cucumbers fell to the blight from the beetles, and additionally a week of high 90s:

But my kabocha is being almost too polite about being trellised in a square foot bed:

They haven't even tried to strangle the leeks. I'm gonna pull the cukes and plant sunflowers I think

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Rooftop garden is finally about where I want it to be. I'm really pleased with the trellises - I couldn't find any examples online of trellises for container plants like this, so I had to make a bunch of prototypes before I hit on this design. Between those and the tomato cages I probably tied over 300 lashings for this project.

Tomatoes: early girl, mortgage lifter, sungold, san marzano.

Peppers: jalapeno, jimmy nardello, chervena chuska, sweet cherry, thai bird.

Plus Japanese eggplants, long beans, and a Japanese cucumber I forget the name of.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Can I use a water transfer pump to boost pressure in a 200ft run of garden hose that's attached to a standard wall hydrant?

City water here is cheap and it'll take years to recoup the cost of putting in a well with a pricey pump, but I don't have enough water pressure at the garden to run more than one sprinkler at a time. I'm trying to figure out if I can put a pump at the garden, attach the city water line in there, and re-pressurize it to power 2-3 impact sprinklers at a time.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The black hollyhocks i planted last year finally bloomed!

:v:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My dog: "They look perfect! Bravo!"

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

unlimited shrimp posted:

Can I use a water transfer pump to boost pressure in a 200ft run of garden hose that's attached to a standard wall hydrant?

Yes. I did that at my last house and it helped a lot. Some stores call them an Irrigation Pump.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Learned that germinating a bunch of vegetables in 90 degree weather a mile up is a Bad Idea. They all either died or didn't sprout :negative:

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Hello gardening thread

I need some advice about wind protection for a vege garden. There's a small raised bed in my front garden that I've never put much effort into, but this summer I want to give growing some vege a proper go (it's the middle of winter here now). Only problem is, I live in a hella windy area, and the garden gets smashed by the wind on a regular basis. I also need to keep the cat out or she'll dig up and/or sleep on everything. I'm thinking of building a wooden framed cover to go over the whole bed, but I'm not sure whether it would be better to use solid greenhouse-style polycarbonate (will the plants get too hot?) or windbreaker mesh (will it block too much light?). For context, the garden gets sun from late morning and all afternoon, and the average summer temperature is low 20s (celcius).

Any thoughts or advice?

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

showbiz_liz posted:

Rooftop garden is finally about where I want it to be.

This is frickin' awesome.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yoruichi posted:

Hello gardening thread

I need some advice about wind protection for a vege garden. There's a small raised bed in my front garden that I've never put much effort into, but this summer I want to give growing some vege a proper go (it's the middle of winter here now). Only problem is, I live in a hella windy area, and the garden gets smashed by the wind on a regular basis. I also need to keep the cat out or she'll dig up and/or sleep on everything. I'm thinking of building a wooden framed cover to go over the whole bed, but I'm not sure whether it would be better to use solid greenhouse-style polycarbonate (will the plants get too hot?) or windbreaker mesh (will it block too much light?). For context, the garden gets sun from late morning and all afternoon, and the average summer temperature is low 20s (celcius).

Any thoughts or advice?

Are you in Tasmania? or Patagonia?

I find that solid poly adds about 15c on a sunny day, maybe more. You don't want to permanently enclose a garden in it with no ventillation, so if you plan to go that way make it so that you can open it up, probably by a hinged panel lid in the case that I'm imagining.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

kafkasgoldfish posted:

This is frickin' awesome.

Thank you! Gardening has really grabbed me (this is only year 3 for me) and at this point I'm just trying to see how far I can push it within these constraints. I also finally figured out how to get a hose down there - bathroom sink attachment + 100-foot expandable hose that runs out the bathroom, down the hall, through my bedroom, out the window, and down the fire escape...

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mischief posted:

Get them in good dirt, plant them as deep as you can, get them some good water and food to get past the shock, you'll be good to go! They're incredibly tough plants.

Yeah, there are pests and diseases to worry about with tomatoes, but they're insanely resistant to gardener abuse. This year we got lazy/busy and left most of our tomatoes completely unmanaged and unstaked for almost three weeks after transplanting. They were huge, wild, and a couple even started breaking along the stem. Got them pruned down so hard that we filled several bags with suckers and leaves, and within a week they'd all doubled in size and the ones with damaged stems had completely healed. Tomatoes are crazy resilient.

My girlfriend used to hate pruning suckers so she'd plant the big cuttings outside the garden fence, and they'd almost universally take root, grow, and produce at least a few fruits.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Is there a better thread to ask about trapping squirrels? I'm looking for type/brand recommendations

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Joburg posted:

Yes. I did that at my last house and it helped a lot. Some stores call them an Irrigation Pump.

Cool, thank you. Did you have to take any special care with the size of pump you used? Like if I am getting maybe 5 gallons a minute at the hose head should I be looking for a pump that moves less than that?

One site said that it could cause issues if the pump is too strong but I can't find a straight answer online.

The weakest one I can find moves slightly more than 5gpm but it also doesn't give numbers on the psi of the output.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Soul Dentist posted:

Is there a better thread to ask about trapping squirrels? I'm looking for type/brand recommendations

Havahart is kind of the standard, just make sure you get a small enough size that it will respond to that little weight.

Traps work, .22 works faster, .17 even more so. :v:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I've been plinking with a .17 air rifle but don't have a scope, and I can't aim up at all because I have neighbors, so squirrels are tough because I only get a good shot if they're on my bird feeder and then there's usually birds and the feeder itself to worry about. I picked up a couple 110 conibears because I'm not interested in rehoming rodent pests. My tomatoes are in and starting to ripen so I'm done playing around.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I've always used a CZ455, SilencerCo White Sparrow, with a middle of the road Leupold. I generally try to shoot down, like you're saying, but there's about 300 acres of cow farm behind our land so I'd have to really screw something up pretty impressively to make it dangerous.

One of our neighbors down the road has been feeding feral cats recently so that kind of adds a built in critter control, even if the drat things like to sleep on my front porch and raise hell at three in the loving morning.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I live in an apartment tower, with an east-facing balcony. Once we approach midday, things start to get shaded by the height of the tower, and past 2pm my balcony is entirely shaded. I live in a Middle Eastern country (we hit high 40 celsius each day now) so the strength of the sun is up there. Is 5am-12pm enough sunlight to grow some herbs and veggies on my balcony, or no? I wanted to grow some tomatoes, and then a bunch of herbs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Qubee posted:

I live in an apartment tower, with an east-facing balcony. Once we approach midday, things start to get shaded by the height of the tower, and past 2pm my balcony is entirely shaded. I live in a Middle Eastern country (we hit high 40 celsius each day now) so the strength of the sun is up there. Is 5am-12pm enough sunlight to grow some herbs and veggies on my balcony, or no? I wanted to grow some tomatoes, and then a bunch of herbs.

Certainly herbs, probably most veggies. That's still 7 hours of full sun.

Some things that need to ripen might be tough but definitely worth trying. I doubt you'd have a problem with tomatoes. If anything you may need some shade cloth at some point during their growing cycle - I won't call it a growing season because it sounds like you just just start anything whenever- but then again, it's not like you need things to ripen before the first frost so maybe everything could work anyway.

All of this is worth trying and posting about.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got rats again. The crows stopped and now I have rats. I set a bunch of traps. I caught six last year before they stopped eating my tomatoes, and it looks like they have repopulated.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It is decided. I will make a veritable bounty upon my balcony and keep you all posted. I don't think the country has growing seasons, per se, cause it's always so warm. I'll definitely buy some shadecloth to protect them from the worst of the sun's rays.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Qubee posted:

It is decided. I will make a veritable bounty upon my balcony and keep you all posted. I don't think the country has growing seasons, per se, cause it's always so warm. I'll definitely buy some shadecloth to protect them from the worst of the sun's rays.

This is a great start, but have you considered looking at gardening (and specifically container/balcony gardening) blogs/websites/social media channels/magazines/newsletters/shop website FAQs/YouTube channels/TV shows pertaining to your specific country and region?

Shade cloth comes in at least ten different grades of blocking power, so you’ll need to figure out how much shade you need for your spot, your climate, and the plants you hope to cultivate

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

unlimited shrimp posted:

Cool, thank you. Did you have to take any special care with the size of pump you used? Like if I am getting maybe 5 gallons a minute at the hose head should I be looking for a pump that moves less than that?

One site said that it could cause issues if the pump is too strong but I can't find a straight answer online.

The weakest one I can find moves slightly more than 5gpm but it also doesn't give numbers on the psi of the output.

I think I used a 1 HP model, I was concerned about messing something up so I went with the smaller model. We were getting 4 gpm without it but I didn’t measure after I installed the pump. At the end of the 1000’ run it wasn’t blasting out or anything. We were on a well, so I don’t know what effect a pump would have if you are on city water.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I got rats again. The crows stopped and now I have rats. I set a bunch of traps. I caught six last year before they stopped eating my tomatoes, and it looks like they have repopulated.

Rats are the worst but at least they're not in your house!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

This is a great start, but have you considered looking at gardening (and specifically container/balcony gardening) blogs/websites/social media channels/magazines/newsletters/shop website FAQs/YouTube channels/TV shows pertaining to your specific country and region?

Shade cloth comes in at least ten different grades of blocking power, so you’ll need to figure out how much shade you need for your spot, your climate, and the plants you hope to cultivate

I follow some farmers here, the hardest part seems to be defending against the sun. As for shade cloth, you can't pick your strength (I already looked into it). All the retailers here sell one strength of shade cloth which I assume is the one that works best with our climate.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Some non-cat-attacked leaves on the mulberry are looking strange.

Does this mean it's not getting watered enough or it's too hot?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Check under the leaves in the morning, looks like either a leaf miner situation or sun scald.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'd love some advice on starting vege seeds indoors. Is a florescent bulb sufficient or is it better to buy proper grow lights?

Not garden related, but That Old Ganon good work holding onto a vintage Thunderdome losertar. The 'dome is still going and is about to have its 10th birthday :)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My basil has loved the heat and is taking off!

My dill, though. :sigh:

About half the seeds sprouted, about half of those were able to put out real leaves, and about half of those are still alive but stunted. One of them made a second real leaf, so I am hopeful it might not perish soon.

Shade cloth is only doing so much when we get summer temps a month early. Might have to try these again mid-September.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

RABBITS GET OUT! YOU FUCKERS.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yoruichi posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'd love some advice on starting vege seeds indoors. Is a florescent bulb sufficient or is it better to buy proper grow lights?

Not garden related, but That Old Ganon good work holding onto a vintage Thunderdome losertar. The 'dome is still going and is about to have its 10th birthday :)

Phone posting or I'd even link, but I asked this question like 2 weeks ago and got useful answers so check my thread post history.

Tldr I bought two used tube fixtures, put plugs and cords, on them and filled em with daylight LEDs.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Yoruichi posted:

GE makes good grow bulbs now that fit in a regular rear end light fixture and are not very expensive.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

YOU TOO CHIPMUNKS!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

:haibrow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DEATH TO GOPHERS