Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I don't think I saw this posted yet - somehow the verbatim transcript of a call between Macron and Putin 4 days before the war was leaked, and a french outlet printed it all
https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/1540719786287435777?s=20&t=AJTxxw_jqobiotbDI717WQ
https://www.letemps.ch/monde/emmanu...ampaign=article

A few selections:

quote:

Discussion of Minsk accords and the sepratists attempting to dictate policy to the Ukrainian government

Emmanuel Macron:
Me, I just look at the texts and I try to apply them! And I don't know what jurist will be able to tell you that in a sovereign country, the texts of laws are proposed by separatist groups and not by the democratically elected authorities.

Vladimir Poutine:

(Firm and annoyed tone) This is not a democratically elected government. They came to power in a coup, there were people burned alive, it was a bloodbath and Zelensky is one of those responsible.

Listen to me carefully: the principle of dialogue is to take into account the interests of the other party. The proposals exist, the separatists, as you call them, transmitted them to the Ukrainians but they received no response. Where is the dialogue?

Also read: Dmitry Muratov, who sold his Nobel for Ukraine: “Russia had a future, many think it has none”

Emmanuel Macron:

But because, as I just told you, we don't give a drat about the separatists' proposals. What we are asking them is to react to the texts of the Ukrainians and things have to be done in this way because it is the law! What you have just said casts doubt, somewhere, on your own will to respect the Minsk Accords, if you judge that you are dealing with illegitimate and terrorist authorities.

Vladimir Poutine:

(Still very annoyed) Listen to me carefully. You hear me? I tell you again, the separatists, as you call them, reacted to the proposals of the Ukrainian authorities. They answered but these same authorities did not follow up.

quote:

Emmanuel Macron:

I need you to help me a little (mischievous) . The situation on the contact line is very tense. I really called Zelensky yesterday to calm down. I will tell him again, calm everyone down, calm down in social networks, calm down the Armed Forces of Ukraine. But what I also see is that you can really call to calm down your pre-positioned armed forces. There was a lot of shelling yesterday. If we want to give dialogue a chance, we have to calm things down in the region. How do you see the evolution of military exercises?

Vladimir Poutine:

Exercises are proceeding according to plan.

Emmanuel Macron:

So they end tonight, right?

Vladimir Poutine:

Yes, probably tonight, and we will definitely leave a military presence on the border until the situation in Donbass calms down. The discussion will be taken in consultation with the Ministries of Defense and Foreign Affairs.

This is the most...egregious? to me, though the call goes a bit after this

quote:

Emmanuel Macron:

OK. Vladimir, I tell you very sincerely, for me, putting the discussions back in the right framework and avoiding tensions is an absolute prerequisite. And me, what matters to me – and I really ask you this – is that we have the situation under control. That is the first pillar. And I'm counting on you a lot. Do not give in to provocations of any kind in the hours and days to come. [:rolleyes:]

I wanted to make two very concrete proposals to you. The first, organize a meeting in the next few days in Geneva between you and President Biden. I spoke to him Friday evening, I asked him if I could make you this proposal. He told me to tell you he was ready for it. President Biden also reflected on ways to credibly de-escalate the situation, take your demands into account and very clearly address the issue of NATO and Ukraine. Tell me the date that suits you.

Vladimir Poutine:

Thank you very much Emanuel. It is always a great pleasure and a great honor to speak with your European counterparts as well as with the United States. :irony:And I always have a lot of fun talking to you because we are in a relationship of trust. :irony:So, Emmanuel, I suggest you reverse things. First of all, you have to prepare this meeting beforehand. It is only afterwards that we will be able to talk because if we come like that, to talk about everything and nothing, we will still be blamed for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rigel posted:

Once their reserve runs out, they will have to scale back dramatically. They do not have the ability to make 60,000 shells a day. Then they will be firing at each other at about the same rate except Ukraine's artillery will hit what it is aimed at, from further away.

I’m not sure it’s constructive to repeat in certain terms things we cannot ascertain, that they’ll run out of dumb shells or cannot procure them swiftly enough.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

KitConstantine posted:

I don't think I saw this posted yet - somehow the verbatim transcript of a call between Macron and Putin 4 days before the war was leaked, and a french outlet printed it all
https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/1540719786287435777?s=20&t=AJTxxw_jqobiotbDI717WQ
https://www.letemps.ch/monde/emmanu...ampaign=article

A few selections:

This is the most...egregious? to me, though the call goes a bit after this

I don't actually see what is egregious with this? Macron was trying to avoid war. Naive yes, but remember, NATO tried for years to negotiate with the Taliban. If there was a chance, however slim, to avoid this conflict by multi-lateral dialogue, a leader would have a moral and political imperative to attempt it.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 27, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

I don't actually see what is egregious with this? Macron was trying to avoid war. Naive yes, but remember, NATO tried for years to negotiate with the Taliban.

The particular line I'm referring to is the one where Putin says they have a relationship based on trust which is just loving darkly hilarious now.

Macron saying Putin "shouldn't react to any provocations" is also pretty rich in hindsight, knowing that Putin was planning the invasion for months

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Someone should buy Putin an account so he can practise some less embarrassing arguments for whitewashing his war. :laffo:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 27, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

His claim that zelensky was the maidan government is pretty rich considering that 1) zelensky was trying poroshenko for treason 2) the radicals of the maidan set considered zelensky and crypto-moskal 5th column

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FishBulbia posted:

His claim that zelensky was the maidan government is pretty rich considering that 1) zelensky was trying poroshenko for treason 2) the radicals of the maidan set considered zelensky and crypto-moskal 5th column

Also like in 2014 he was a comedian recording the Ukranian dub of Paddington Bear and nowhere near anything government.

Or maybe Putin thinks Maidan was caused by marmalade madness or something.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 27, 2022

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Also like in 2014 he was a comedian recording the Ukranian dub of Paddington Bear.

What did Paddington know and when did he know it

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Also like in 2014 he was a comedian recording the Ukranian dub of Paddington Bear and nowhere near anything government.

Leaked footage of zelensky 2014 maidan activity for the homonazi cause

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgOSrw9Q8rc

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 27, 2022

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Chill Monster posted:

Also I have no idea if China or India even manufactures soviet-compatible artillery, but maybe someone else does.
Looks like China use a variant of the 122mm so...

Hannibal Rex posted:

Some 2-3 weeks back, there was a separatist account that they were running out of 122mm ammo for the artillery pieces Russia gave them, as it's no longer producing shells for those. They had to be reequipped and retrained on old 152mm pieces from stockpiles.
:shrug:

I couldn't find anything definitive about the 152mm and nothing about India.

Edit:

KitConstantine posted:

Map time!
Today's article: https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-june-26

quote:

The Kremlin continues to manipulate Russian legislation to carry out “covert mobilization” to support operations in Ukraine without conducting full mobilization. The Russian State Duma announced plans to review an amendment to the law on military service on June 28 that would allow military officials to offer contracts to young men immediately upon “coming of age” or graduating high school, thus circumventing the need to complete military service as conscripts.
Key Takeaways

- Russian forces conducted a missile strike against Kyiv for the first time since April 29, likely to coincide with the ongoing G7 leadership summit.
Not sure I agree with their analysis there... I would have thought Putin would ordinarily keep any escalations until after the summit instead of escalating and raising a talking point. I think it's much more likely as a result of UA getting their hands on missiles from the US et al. but that's really just an opinion.

KitConstantine posted:

A few selections:

quote:

Discussion of Minsk accords and the sepratists attempting to dictate policy to the Ukrainian government

Emmanuel Macron:
Me, I just look at the texts and I try to apply them! And I don't know what jurist will be able to tell you that in a sovereign country, the texts of laws are proposed by separatist groups and not by the democratically elected authorities.

Vladimir Poutine:

(Firm and annoyed tone) This is not a democratically elected government. They came to power in a coup, there were people burned alive, it was a bloodbath and Zelensky is one of those responsible.
I do still like the way the French spell Putin's name like he's a regional Canadian dish of mashed spuds and gravy though

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 27, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Rigel posted:

Once their reserve runs out, they will have to scale back dramatically. They do not have the ability to make 60,000 shells a day. Then they will be firing at each other at about the same rate except Ukraine's artillery will hit what it is aimed at, from further away.

Another point to bear in mind is that those reserves are never, ever, going to fill up again. Russia is burning through 60-80 years of military planning for these inches of land. Even if the war ends on bad terms, Russia has permanently depleted it's ability to defend the land it's taken, and entirely lost it's ability to seriously threaten nearby peers like Finland.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/666_mancer/status/1541324860894466048?cxt=HHwWgMC-ke6y8eMqAAAA

Another Russian/LDNR ammo depo going off in Zymohiria, Luhansk

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

It sounds like Ukrainian military intelligence is a week or so ahead of where we are with discussions of artillery ammunition and is directing attacks on them.

We don't have hard numbers of course, but if the Ukrainians are going after some aspect of Russian logistics specifically that is a pretty clear sign it's something they think is a point of catastrophic failure.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Bug Squash posted:

Another point to bear in mind is that those reserves are never, ever, going to fill up again. Russia is burning through 60-80 years of military planning for these inches of land. Even if the war ends on bad terms, Russia has permanently depleted it's ability to defend the land it's taken, and entirely lost it's ability to seriously threaten nearby peers like Finland.

I don't think you have a sense of the scale that modern industrial production can achieve. In three years (2011 to 2013) China poured more concrete than the US did during the entire 20th century. I have no doubt that a brand new factory built in the last 10 years or so could output more daily than a 1960-1980's soviet plant could in a month.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Morrow posted:

We don't have hard numbers of course, but if the Ukrainians are going after some aspect of Russian logistics specifically that is a pretty clear sign it's something they think is a point of catastrophic failure.

I wouldn't make such sure declarations but the ability to reliably hit ammunition stockpiles should be positive for Ukraine forces on that front. Who knows how many are left, probably a lot, especially if they were at territory Russia controlled for past 8 years.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I don't think you have a sense of the scale that modern industrial production can achieve. In three years (2011 to 2013) China poured more concrete than the US did during the entire 20th century. I have no doubt that a brand new factory built in the last 10 years or so could output more daily than a 1960-1980's soviet plant could in a month.

While it's not necessarily untrue that this level of modern production is possible, it relies on a few assumptions

1. does the national supply chain of materials used in the construction of artillery munitions scale up at a matching rate to the potential of newer, hyperproductive factories? (probably not)
2. does the russian government really display the same kind of functionality for production as the example china sets (definitely not)
3. does the russian government have the means to rapidly and accountably contract for the rapid construction and activation of such advanced, newer facilities? (lol)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Cable Guy posted:

I do still like the way the French spell Putin's name like he's a regional Canadian dish of mashed spuds and gravy though

Well, the original is in cyrillic, so 'Putin' is already a custom spelling. And if you spelled it 'Putin' in french, then it would sound exactly like 'putain', which is rather rude slang for a lady in the business of short-term body rental. The 'e' at the end is critical to make it sound like the english 'in'.

For another amusing one, if Lenin was spelled like that in french, it would sound like 'Le nain' (the dwarf). Hence why in French it's spelled 'Lénine'.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Kavros posted:

While it's not necessarily untrue that this level of modern production is possible, it relies on a few assumptions

1. does the national supply chain of materials used in the construction of artillery munitions scale up at a matching rate to the potential of newer, hyperproductive factories? (probably not)
2. does the russian government really display the same kind of functionality for production as the example china sets (definitely not)
3. does the russian government have the means to rapidly and accountably contract for the rapid construction and activation of such advanced, newer facilities? (lol)

Russia appears to be living off the corpse of the CCCP and that can only carry you so far though they haven't gotten down to the bones just yet.

-------

Nice to see all those ammo dumps going boom. :ukraine:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Zelensky is just a role he is playing as the front of a Jewish homonatozi cabal

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Their factories already lack components and they are taking ammunition from Belarus. That doesn't sound like they can produce as much or more than they are currently using.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1541356509275344897

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
The Russians have more than enough industrial capacity to reallocate more factories to shell production.

Kidding aside, what it is really going to come down to is the actual artillery pieces. Ukraine now has effective counter-artillery and is going to whittle away Russians modern pieces, forcing them to rely more on old and semi reliable guns. It seems at this rate Ukraine will have 100s of modern NATO pieces and trained crew come fall/winter, and you will probably see Russian artillery crews taking similar casualties as their infrantry friends.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1541381681000628224

What’s the occasion for dicks out F-35, any guesses?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Just snooping probably.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Practice runs toward Snake Island. They're hanging around the Danube delta.

Something I've noticed here in the US is that helicopters from local bases are tending to fly much lower than usual. They're not being unsafe--lots of residential areas--and I don't think they lowered the minimum allowable altitude, but they're all flying at that minimum altitude rather than the higher, more leisurely altitudes they've tended to use. (No, this doesn't mean WW3 is about to go down or anything - it just speaks to the US military buttoning its stuff up and being more deliberate about readiness and training.)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

New Salty Girkin - below tweets summarize the concluding paragraphs only, the full post goes into specifics regarding various attack axes
https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1541396114162712576?s=20&t=p6UTItc7Ml9II20Cv-ZylQ
https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1541396116083703809?s=20&t=p6UTItc7Ml9II20Cv-ZylQ
https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1541396117828534274?s=20&t=p6UTItc7Ml9II20Cv-ZylQ
https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1541396119485403137?s=20&t=p6UTItc7Ml9II20Cv-ZylQ
The full translation is definitely worth a read, and isn't that long - https://wartranslated.com/igor-girkin-overview-of-the-ukraine-frontlines-as-of-27-june/

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Artillery chat:

Dmitri Alperovitch's latest podcast with Michael Kofman and Henry Schlottman goes into a lot of detail, as far as numbers are available.

https://geopolitics-decanted.simplecast.com/

There are no numbers for Russian or Soviet stockpiles, but in the mid-nineties, the US had about 25 million shells in stockpile. Soviet stockpiles were at least as big, probably bigger, but no one has concrete figures. But a significant amount of that would have ended up in the successor states other than Russia. The shelf-life is 20-30 years. Presumably more, if you don't care about accuracy and safety. and Russia wasn't very big on maintenance, or sustaining stockpiles, in the nineties.

Recent reports have been that Russia is firing 50000 - 60000 shells per day, ten times as much as Ukraine. That's assumed to be during the recent fighting in Donbas, not per day since the war started. They did some napkin math on the theoretical strength of Russian units, and came to the numbers of Russia having at least a 3 to 1 advantage in systems fielded compared to Ukraine, and about 3.5 to 1 in shells fired per system. Also noteworthy that the barrel life of tube artillery is about 10000 shells. After that, you need to service or replace the barrel.

And for comparison, the Scranton plant in Pennsylvania can produce about 15000 shells per month.

So the napkin results are, even with a reported firing rate of 50000 per day, Russia could sustain that for more than a year on presumed stockpiles. But no nation has the production capacity to sustain such expenditure rate indefinitely. The recent ammunition transports from Belarus are more likely about shortages in specific calibers, than an indication of Russia running out in any meaningful way. My best guess is Belarus has some leftover 122mm that Russia wants for its separatist artillery.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 27, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I looked and there is a railway connection between North Korea and Russia - trading wheat and oil for shells? North Korea would probably enjoy the opportunity to freshen up its stocks by sending the oldest poo poo in exchange for fuel and food.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Unsurprisingly a lot of economic news today - everything in Russian was translated using the built-in google utility

Peskov displeased with the tone of reporting on the default
https://twitter.com/jason_corcoran/status/1541376750491521025?s=20&t=sH76nEDW6xfyuZjY1Fyjgw

quote:

Peskov noted that he did not know whether Russia was taking any steps to return the frozen reserves of the Central Bank and whether legal procedures had begun. “Of course, we are analyzing the situation. Our position is well known in terms of reserves. They are blocked illegally. Any attempt to somehow use these reserves will also be illegal and, in fact, will amount to outright theft, ”he said.

According to him, the allegations of Russia's default are also absolutely unjustified, because in May the payment was made in foreign currency. “And the fact that Euroclear withheld this money, did not bring it to the recipients, is no longer our problem. In this case, there is no reason to call this situation a default,” he stressed.
Earlier, the Russian authorities have repeatedly denied the possibility of Russia's default on government bonds. Finance Minister Anton Siluanov said earlier that foreign countries that decided to freeze the assets of the Russian Central Bank and the government intended to create an artificial default in Russia in this way. The country has the necessary amount of funds to service obligations, he emphasized.
Seems uhhhh bad
https://twitter.com/russophiliac/status/1541375335412948995?s=20&t=sH76nEDW6xfyuZjY1Fyjgw
https://twitter.com/russophiliac/status/1541376884612939776?s=20&t=sH76nEDW6xfyuZjY1Fyjgw
local article on the situation cited later in the above thread: https://www.e1.ru/text/job/2022/06/07/71393393/

quote:

Workers at the Ural Compressor Plant in Yekaterinburg went on strike. Employees say they can't get their salaries for months. Now the workers just don't go to the factory.

“We refused to go to work until the entire wage arrears were paid. Hundreds of employees wrote applications demanding extradition, one of the employees told E1.RU. — Delays began in January 2022, after the change of shareholders, the plant itself is already falling apart. People refused to work in March, we were calculated. Then in May they went on strike again, partial payments began. Until the end of May, the prosecutor's office ordered us to pay the debt to employees for two months, we have not received anything, we are sitting at home, waiting. The average salary at the plant is about 50 thousand rubles.

The management says that customers do not pay money, they are being sued, millions of dollars are stuck. But the number of orders has also decreased significantly, before we sent 60 cars, now 2, - the worker concluded.
An administrative case was initiated against the director of the plant for non-payment of wages, and the prosecutor's office sent applications to the court for issuing orders to recover money. The magistrate of the Oktyabrsky judicial district granted the applications

Why does this matter? This thread has a good deep dive on the economic inequality in Russia - the Urals are not rich
https://twitter.com/IlyaMatveev_/status/1541384240667009026?s=20&t=sH76nEDW6xfyuZjY1Fyjgw
https://twitter.com/IlyaMatveev_/status/1541384267552407554?s=20&t=sH76nEDW6xfyuZjY1Fyjgw
https://twitter.com/IlyaMatveev_/status/1541384274041081856?s=20&t=sH76nEDW6xfyuZjY1Fyjgw
For the academically-inclided an article from the above thread author on the political consequences of Russian inequality - https://socialistregister.com/index.php/srv/article/view/37659

Oh and there are probably more sanctions coming for Russia
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1541403394149126144?s=20&t=sH76nEDW6xfyuZjY1Fyjgw

quote:

G7 leaders have vowed to impose new sanctions on Russia’s ability to import technologies for its arms industry as they promised to step up their security commitments to Ukraine.

The group of seven advanced economies said they would “align and expand targeted sanctions to further restrict Russia’s access to key industrial inputs, services and technologies”.

The G7 also said it would impose targeted sanctions on Russians responsible for war crimes committed in Ukraine and those who were exacerbating “global food insecurity” by “stealing and exporting Ukrainian grain”.

About that stolen grain - some of the Ukrainian grain trucks had GPS trackers on em. The BBC followed the path of the stolen grain - really good article, tons of supporting photographs and well-illustrated maps
https://twitter.com/jpaulgoode/status/1541384140142125058?s=20&t=sH76nEDW6xfyuZjY1Fyjgw
https://www.bbc.com/news/61790625

quote:

"They take grain to the annexed Crimea first, where they transport it to Kerch or Sevastopol [ports], then they load Ukrainian grain on Russian ships and go to the Kerch Strait," says Andrii Klymenko, an expert at the Institute for Black Sea Strategic Studies in Kyiv, who regularly monitors movements of ships around Crimea.

"There, in the Kerch Strait [between Crimea and Russia], they transfer Ukrainian grain from small ships on to bulk carriers, where it is mixed with grain from Russia - or in some cases, they sail to this area just to give the appearance they are loading up with Russian grain."

He adds this is then exported with Russian certificates, saying that it's Russian grain.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

I looked and there is a railway connection between North Korea and Russia - trading wheat and oil for shells? North Korea would probably enjoy the opportunity to freshen up its stocks by sending the oldest poo poo in exchange for fuel and food.

Yeah, I've kind of wondered if North Korea would end up arbitraging between China and Russia. It could reduce risk for China and be profitable for North Korea. Russia isn't going to run out of hardware anytime soon. One of the biggest risks is that they solve their staffing problems in a way that sends trained soldiers to the front to replace casualties.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Dwesa posted:

Their factories already lack components and they are taking ammunition from Belarus. That doesn't sound like they can produce as much or more than they are currently using.

Not at the moment, perhaps, but in a year's time? Why not?

Furthermore, in a year's time, will the west still be funneling arms at the present rate to Ukraine?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

Artillery chat:

Dmitri Alperovitch's latest podcast with Michael Kofman and Henry Schlottman goes into a lot of detail, as far as numbers are available.

https://geopolitics-decanted.simplecast.com/

There are no numbers for Russian or Soviet stockpiles, but in the mid-nineties, the US had about 25 million shells in stockpile. Soviet stockpiles were at least as big, probably bigger, but no one has concrete figures. But a significant amount of that would have ended up in the successor states other than Russia. The shelf-life is 20-30 years. Presumably more, if you don't care about accuracy and safety. and Russia wasn't very big on maintenance, or sustaining stockpiles, in the nineties.

Recent reports have been that Russia is firing 50000 - 60000 shells per day, ten times as much as Ukraine. That's assumed to be during the recent fighting in Donbas, not per day since the war started. They did some napkin math on the theoretical strength of Russian units, and came to the numbers of Russia having at least a 3 to 1 advantage in systems fielded compared to Ukraine, and about 3.5 to 1 in shells fired per system. Also noteworthy that the barrel life of tube artillery is about 10000 shells. After that, you need to service or replace the barrel.

And for comparison, the Scranton plant in Pennsylvania can produce about 15000 shells per month.

So the napkin results are, even with a reported firing rate of 50000 per day, Russia could sustain that for more than a year on presumed stockpiles. But no nation has the production capacity to sustain such expenditure rate indefinitely. The recent ammunition transports from Belarus are more likely about shortages in specific calibers, than an indication of Russia running out in any meaningful way. My best guess is Belarus has some leftover 122mm that Russia wants for its separatist artillery.

If we are generous then that's enough shells to last 18 months at the current expenditure rate.

Given the age of those stockpiles i would be wary of firing a lot of it. :ohdear:

:ukraine:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/olehbatkovych/status/1541427033397514241?t=IUXWBOzO7tTZzfJUAG4EKg&s=19

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Dick Ripple posted:

The Russians have more than enough industrial capacity to reallocate more factories to shell production.

Kidding aside, what it is really going to come down to is the actual artillery pieces. Ukraine now has effective counter-artillery and is going to whittle away Russians modern pieces, forcing them to rely more on old and semi reliable guns. It seems at this rate Ukraine will have 100s of modern NATO pieces and trained crew come fall/winter, and you will probably see Russian artillery crews taking similar casualties as their infrantry friends.

People keep saying this as the Russians break out the stockpiles from the end of the Second World War and the first part of the Cold War.

I think people have a profound misunderstanding of what’s involved in the supply chain for explosive shell production, the capability of Russia to procure any military hardware without rampant corruption, and the effect that this default that just happened is going to have on the ability of everyone involved in said supply chain to pay each other.

Which, incidentally, completely hammers industrial output.

Also, do you really think the Chinese are going to risk sending Russia large amounts of artillery ammunition, when that would trigger American sanctions on Chinese industry and banks?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The situation people are imagining where Russia keeps up this pace would involve retooling it's entire economy to do nothing but manufacture shells. Which, yes is technically possible and Russia might well do that, but it also completly mortgages the nation's future, eliminates all development, and ultimately leads to Russia falling even further behind the West. Every Ruble spend on shells and shell building is a Ruble not being spent on something useful. They'd be setting themselves up for utter and ruinous failure in a decade or two.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 27, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Bug Squash posted:

The situation people are imagining where Russia keeps up this pace would involve retooling it's entire economy to do nothing but manufacture shells. Which, yes is technically possible and Russia might well do that, but it also completly mortgages the nation's future, eliminates all development, and ultimately leads to Russia falling even further behind the West. Every Ruble spend on shells and shell building is a Ruble not being spent on something useful. They'd be setting themselves up for utter and ruinous failure in a decade or two.

You can go back and say this in the 50s, when the Soviets continued to pump money into the military at ahistorical rates while NATO demobilized.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Morrow posted:

You can go back and say this in the 50s, when the Soviets continued to pump money into the military at ahistorical rates while NATO demobilized.

I think they were actually slowing it down a little bit during Khruschev's stay, but then his agricultural policy went rear end up and in comes Brezhnev and he presses the funnel resources to the MIC button so hard it got stuck, while drastically cutting expenses everywhere else that wouldn't be immediately apparent to people (like healthcare).

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Morrow posted:

Yes, and they suffered massive economic collapse after falling massively behind NATO.

Edit: your probably argeeing with me here, sorry

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

This is why I don't buy the idea that while Russia launches cruise missiles at traditional military targets and the residential hits are "off target" or "accidents."
Their main military strategy is so interwoven with Putin's own political mania (the genocide of Ukrainians and the erasure of all Ukrainian culture) that it's irrelevant to distinguish the difference. Russian airstrikes and bombing have not been beneficial to their actual military/theater goals in any meaningful way.

Of course, Macron will call Putin and say if Moscow just simply targets military installations instead of people then all this will just blow over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Bug Squash posted:

Russia was producing ~ 120 kt of cars per month in 2021 with ~ 1% of its workforce. 60 k shells of 152 mm is roughly 79 kt a month of shells but of course you need the barrel replacements so a bit more than that.

Again, I think people underestimate the capacity of modern industry and the horror of industrial war.