Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

OK, my thought was it was due to fire resistance and they had to get some sort of variance in order to get the garage built there.

Worth trying to seal up the bottom with something at least? That area will get plenty of snow this year.

I'm a nobody with little experience, but it seems to me that leaving it open to be able to dry out would be more beneficial than trying to seal it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

First on my list is that there is no bathroom vent. I'm hesitant to drill a hole in the side of my stucco house or into the roof. I have easy access to the bathroom ceiling from the attic and would be OK installing it and wiring it I think, but going to try and get someone out here to do that. Or am I being to wimpy about drilling out a vent hole? I'm a moderate DIYer, and use to do a lot of low voltage coax and ethernet work but that was 10+ years ago.

I'll be honest I don't know much about stucco but I just completed a bathroom exhaust fan install myself and while it was a pain in the rear end in terms of the effort needed to get into the attic space, drilling the hole in the side of the house (aluminum siding over wood sheeting) was NBD, took me longer to get the ladder set up and to crawl back into the attic than it did to drill the hole. Ideally you want it to go out the side of the house and not through the roof. You'll probably just need a masonry hole saw to get through the stucco. Very DIYable imho.

Highly recommend the Panasonic FV-0511VF1 WhisperFit DC, in conjunction with a Lutron Maestro Countdown Timer Switch.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

mutata posted:

I'm a nobody with little experience, but it seems to me that leaving it open to be able to dry out would be more beneficial than trying to seal it?

I'd paint that lower edge if it's not too hard to get at, will help protect from minor splashes. Pro move would be adding a drip edge so water running down the siding doesn't roll back under.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sirotan posted:

I'll be honest I don't know much about stucco but I just completed a bathroom exhaust fan install myself and while it was a pain in the rear end in terms of the effort needed to get into the attic space, drilling the hole in the side of the house (aluminum siding over wood sheeting) was NBD, took me longer to get the ladder set up and to crawl back into the attic than it did to drill the hole. Ideally you want it to go out the side of the house and not through the roof. You'll probably just need a masonry hole saw to get through the stucco. Very DIYable imho.

Highly recommend the Panasonic FV-0511VF1 WhisperFit DC, in conjunction with a Lutron Maestro Countdown Timer Switch.
Ehhhhhh, just make sure if you go out the side of the house that you're not venting below a soffit vent for your attic.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

NomNomNom posted:

That siding looks like a composite product which doesn't require sheathing. It's weird that the drywall is on the outside though.

Aren’t you going to get insects and stuff going straight through the uneven gaps between the foundation and drywall? I don’t know how buildings are built to be clear but I noticed those gaps.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

OK, my thought was it was due to fire resistance and they had to get some sort of variance in order to get the garage built there.

Worth trying to seal up the bottom with something at least? That area will get plenty of snow this year.

1/2 gypsum sheeting is IRC code approved for wall bracing. I’ve never used it before but I know there’s an “exterior” gypsum board intended for use under siding. Dunno if that’s what you got but ostensibly it should be fine.

Plywood/OSB has been insanely expensive for the past two years so if that’s newly built, that’s why.

E: ok so the other walls are fully sheathed? Lol the budget way to do it is just sheath the corners w 4’ wide plywood/osb running the full length of the wall, so long as they are not more than 25’ apart it’s code compliant. Maybe they ran out of sheeting and it was a supply shortage thing at time, who knows. Anyways if you’re worried about lateral strength you can just do the two ends of the wall w 1/2 plywood or OSB. Use screws so you can remove it to check on the drywall. Other option is metal strapping run diagonally, but I think that has to be engineered to be code compliant (If you give a poo poo)

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 22, 2022

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If that's 2 years old and it has gotten an average amount of precipitation in those two years and it still looks showroom new I would ignore it and wait for it to be a problem. Unless you are going to make those walls 100% invisible nothing screams "do something" right now. Caulk gaps or slather some paint along the bottom if you want but it seems fine?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

just use bx cable, even if its not to code in your area who cares. if you've swapped an outlet box out you can totally install anew one

the cat6 isn't a big deal either, just rent a 1" rotohammer with appropriate sized bit. don't fall into Big Electric's trap!!!

*sigh* yeah, quotes are coming in and I think I've discovered a hidden well of motivation I didn't realize I had!

($700, $1200, $1000)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

H110Hawk posted:

If that's 2 years old and it has gotten an average amount of precipitation in those two years and it still looks showroom new I would ignore it and wait for it to be a problem. Unless you are going to make those walls 100% invisible nothing screams "do something" right now. Caulk gaps or slather some paint along the bottom if you want but it seems fine?

So, I had a real, real bad experience with wet gypsum once

I agree with this, but I think it is probably a good idea to test for moisture before sealing it up, definitely seal it, and then continue to test moisture levels in the drywall regularly afterwards because wet gypsum is what makes black mold and you don't have to see it for it to get you really really sick

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp

A wasp stung me on the foot today

A big black wasp/hornet got inside my house through my plywood window, saw my foot, and stung it

I took one step into my bedroom and a bug stung my loving foot

It burns and my foot hurts and I am officially over this missing window bullshit

Someone from the window place is on their way to our house to caulk the plywood from the outside. I am nicely giving these people until the end of the week to at least give me an ETA on our replacement window before I take a bitch to court

EDIT: :lol: IT ALREADY HAD CAULK ON IT

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 22, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a concrete balcony and I want to put artificial turf over it. I'm looking at one of the rugs from PetGrow: http://www.petgrows.com/?page_id=12134, however I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about drainage.

The balcony is completely covered and I'm in SoCal, so I assume it's okay, but I've never used turf before.

Would some other option also work, like the little tiles, or maybe some sort of padding underneath?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I've seen a lot of busted out rebar in concrete balconies because people put carpet on it and it holds in moisture. I don't know if there's a right way to do it with a membrane or something but do your research.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

nwin posted:

I know very little about plumbing but the previous owner redid the downstairs half bath. To me this looks janky as poo poo, but maybe because I’ve never seen it before (flex pipe, using some kind of thread pvc instead of pvc cement).

Thoughts?

Because this is in a bathroom the Flexi is not quite the crime it would be on a kitcheb sink. That said, what you want is a bottle trap, and potentially an extension above it to bring the outlet down to the right height. Easy to fit your self, but a plumber will do it in less than 10 mins.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Ugh. Our new (last August) York air conditioner unit still won't loving overcool to dehumidify. I think I'm going to have to pull in a new HVAC guy, my usual dude just is dragging his feet on actually attacking the problem. We paid for a two-stage but because the distributor gave our unit away they upgraded us to a fully-variable setup, and I think my dude is just poo poo with newer tech. Jumpers on the air handler all look like they're set correctly, Hx thermostat looks like it's set correctly, but once it hits the target temperature the whole thing shuts down like it's a single-stage setup.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I made the decision to buy an ac unit this spring in preparation for the summer heat. Seattle hit 90 this weekend and I was happy to have already had this sitting in my garage.

The instructions were far more complicated than they needed to be. It's a sliding window specific model so it installed slightly different than the traditional window units I've installed before. Not to mention my window track and sill was different than the instructions referred to. Regardless I made it work and my bedroom is a cool 68°.

I also got all my foundation vents re framed and screened with new mesh and wells installed.

We also had two painters come by to take a look at the house for bids. I'm genuinely curious to see how high they are and if I bite the bullet and do it myself.

The first two weeks of nice weather and my house list is getting checked off quickly.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Verman posted:

I also got all my foundation vents re framed and screened with new mesh and wells installed.

Did you do this yourself? I need to as well - any recommend tutorials? I suppose it’s probably pretty easy but not sure where to start.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone have a favorite vinyl siding cleaner for use with a pressure washer?

Got a mix of crud I need to clean off various places....general dirt, mildew in a few spots, and the biggest spot is a swath of sooth from a pellet stove chimney.

Went at it with just the pressure washer with no soap/detergent, and it barely made a dent. I'm sure if I went real slow with a narrow nozzle I could blast it off, but I would prefer a more gentle and quicker approach, and one less likely to accidentally punch a hole in the siding.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I bought some Simple Green siding cleaner to wash my aluminum siding prior to putting on a fresh coat of paint. I did not use it in a pressure washer but I thought it did a fine enough job spraying it on with a sprayer and gently scrubbing it with a pole brush. If it dries on anything it'll leave some residue though, fyi.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Harriet Carker posted:

Did you do this yourself? I need to as well - any recommend tutorials? I suppose it’s probably pretty easy but not sure where to start.

Not really. Mine are just square holes in the concrete foundation, internally framed with wood, and covered in steel mesh.

My wood was rotting so I removed it with a pry bar. It's easiest to remove the sides first, then the top and bottom. Once the wood was out, I had to cut the nails that were used to hold the original wood in place since it would block the new pieces from getting into place. I replaced it with 5/8 cedar board which seems to be the same as what was in there originally. IIRC my vents are 5-1/2" deep but I could be wrong. Measure the width of the opening and cut it so it fits slightly snug in the hole but not super tight. You should only have to slightly tap it into place.

Cut the top and bottoms first and put them in place. Now measure the height for your side boards. The side pieces will wedge in between the top and bottom boards, supporting the top piece. You still likely need to tap these in as well. They should also be snug and the whole thing will stay pressure fit together.

Once in, you can toenail some small nails to ensure the boards stay together. Then measure the mesh to match the outside dimensions of the frame, cut and staple it to the wood frame. I didn't have vent wells and the PO brought the soil level right up to the vents (which is why my vents were rotted).

I dug about a foot down, (height of the wells), placed some landscaping fabric down to keep weeds out, and dropped the wells into place. They were pretty easy to install. Thankfully my DeWalt drill has a hammer setting and I have masonry bits. When in place, mark the spots to drill the holes to secure the well to the foundation. I drilled them at a slightly upwards angle so water wouldn't collect inside the drill hole for any reason but I doubt it will make a difference. Secure with masonry screws. Put some rocks in the bottom of the vent well for drainage, and keep the level lower than the vent itself. Then backfill the outside of the well to the ground level.

They look kind of ... utilitarian but we're getting the house painted soon and I might address visual appeal after that. I might paint the steel mesh (to match the house) and maybe add a small piece of molding edge around the vents. I think the metal wells will match what we're doing with the house anyway.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyone have a favorite vinyl siding cleaner for use with a pressure washer?

Got a mix of crud I need to clean off various places....general dirt, mildew in a few spots, and the biggest spot is a swath of sooth from a pellet stove chimney.

Went at it with just the pressure washer with no soap/detergent, and it barely made a dent. I'm sure if I went real slow with a narrow nozzle I could blast it off, but I would prefer a more gentle and quicker approach, and one less likely to accidentally punch a hole in the siding.

I've had good results with this stuff, using it with a garden sprayer, then either a deck brush or the power washer afterward.

https://www.scotts.com/en-us/products/outdoor-cleaners/scotts-outdoor-cleaner-multi-purpose-formula-concentrate

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Anyone have a recommendation on indoor floor grout cleaner? My PO helpfully didn’t touch the grout since 1974 and it shows. Trying to avoid the toothbrush bullshit but mopping isn’t doing it.

God I can’t wait to rip these tiles out for LVP/anything else.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The best that technology has to offer is an electric toothbrush, but also, like, pointy
https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-2057486-Reveal-Power-Scrubber/dp/B081VQTG2Q/

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Anne Whateley's link looks good for mechanical scrubbing. I might get one.

I also use a Bissell Steam Shot:

https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-39N7V-Surface-Steam-Cleaner/dp/B07V39L623/

Basically an electric kettle with a brush on a hose. Lets you blast steam through the grout and boil it clean.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TheGreyGhost posted:

Anyone have a recommendation on indoor floor grout cleaner? My PO helpfully didn’t touch the grout since 1974 and it shows. Trying to avoid the toothbrush bullshit but mopping isn’t doing it.

If it’s bad just hire a company with truck mounted steam equipment to clean the grout.

Zep grout cleaner is good. poo poo is strong though.

You’re not going to get dirty grout clean by mopping.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TheGreyGhost posted:

If all of the cleaning products and brushes don't do the job - and they may not, on 50+ year-old grout - then remove a layer with a grout chaser, manual or power. You may have to re-level the grout with new grout trowelled in & sponged, but it'll look brand-new when you're done.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Is there some kind of small pump or booster I can put on a shower to increase the pressure a small amount at only that fixture that probably won't electrocute me? Something like this, only not so sketchy? https://a.co/d/1QPgvGl

It's not a clogged showerhead or flow restrictor, it's just old plumbing in a rental where the water pressure is terrible (and probably a shitload of sediment in the water heater but again, rental).

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018LGZ04
What about replacing your shower head with something that boosts water pressure?
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-shower-head-for-low-water-pressure/

I did that at my old house where I had absolute poo poo water pressure (The water tower in my neighborhood was mostly below the level of my house) and it worked pretty well.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 5, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Getting all in on the Ryobi line of tools and wondering if I should just bite the bullet for a drill/driver and impact set. I am not sure what the impact is for though - everything I read is it's good for large projects or stuff like a gazebo. And while I am putting up a gazebo on our deck soon wouldn't a drill be fine for that?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
If you're building a gazebo and gazebos are literally in the list of things that it is good for, what's the holdup exactly? Surely the cost pales in comparison to the materials for such a project.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Vintersorg posted:

Getting all in on the Ryobi line of tools and wondering if I should just bite the bullet for a drill/driver and impact set. I am not sure what the impact is for though - everything I read is it's good for large projects or stuff like a gazebo. And while I am putting up a gazebo on our deck soon wouldn't a drill be fine for that?

The impact driver is great for driving screws. I used a drill for years until it wore out. Then I bought a drill & impact set. Now I use the impact driver. I think it's a bit more effective for long screws in harder wood because of its operating mechanism. Instead of smoothly applying torque it hammers the screws in bit by bit when it meets resistance.

Also the impact driver in my set is smaller than the drill.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Vintersorg posted:

After you put in one 3" screw with an impact driver you will understand exactly what it's for and wonder how you lived without one for so long. Bonus is that with a drill and driver, you can keep the drill set up for pilot holes/countersinks.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

After you put in one 3" screw with an impact driver you will understand exactly what it's for and wonder how you lived without one for so long. Bonus is that with a drill and driver, you can keep the drill set up for pilot holes/countersinks.

This. It's also great for driving lag bolts, etc. but the main reason I like having an impact driver is that it almost always has a screwdriver bit in it, so I can drill/countersink pilot holes with one tool and immediately drive screws in with another without changing bits.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thank you!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

more falafel please posted:

This. It's also great for driving lag bolts

That first lag bolt you just zip in and hammer snug is worth the price of admission. In my head the sound of a lag going in is actually mostly the sound of an impact driver going. More importantly, if you ever need to take one out you will be very glad you have one. Sure you can start it with a breaker bar but who has time for that if you don't need to?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I also was skeptical like is this just another gimmick tool I don't need. Holy crap that thing is so much better than the drill for driving and undriving. Not just faster and easier, but also less likely to strip.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I heard you shouldn't use it when making like furniture and stuff, true?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vintersorg posted:

I heard you shouldn't use it when making like furniture and stuff, true?
At a minimum, just be careful with it. I use mine to assemble furniture, but once it begins to 'impact' I stop and hand tighten the rest of the way. Very easy to overdo it with the driver.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So is that just like a part of growing up? Because I too grew up thinking a drill was used for driving screws and then in my late 20s discovered a driver and have never looked back.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

A driver won't stop brute-forcing to try to drive that fastener home, which means it's gonna be more likely to split wood near the end of a board, for instance. Most cordless drills have a clutch that can be set so that it won't torque more than it's set to.

For instance, it's generally considered a bad idea to drive pocket screws in with a driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have the Ryobi P214 which is sold as a hammer drill, but has 3 modes. It'll act as a drill, a driver, or a hammer drill. It's not better than having a real driver, but it meets what I need it to do. I'm not driving super long lag bolts or wood screws though. The most I do is a 3 1/2 wood screw into the fence once a year or so.