Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
So I've got a couple of interviews coming up (nearly doubling my old pay rate) and I was wondering if anyone itt has good questions to ask the interviewers so I don't end up getting a hell job. Any good ways to suss out red flags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

tokin opposition posted:

So I've got a couple of interviews coming up (nearly doubling my old pay rate) and I was wondering if anyone itt has good questions to ask the interviewers so I don't end up getting a hell job. Any good ways to suss out red flags?
The OP of the YOSPOS interview thread has some good questions to ask.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wolrah posted:

Zendesk remains more or less unoffensive other than the fact that one of their most starred feature requests for literally over a decade has been the ability to split replies in to their own tickets which they seem entirely uninterested in supporting.

Because we all know that clients never reply to unrelated tickets with new issues, right? That's certainly not a basic feature needed by almost anyone with a public facing ticket system.

A lot of these SaaS vendors get a bit carried away with their pricing. The Zendesk plan that you'd want to use is £65/month/user which is quite a bit.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FMguru posted:

The OP of the YOSPOS interview thread has some good questions to ask.

link:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845966&perpage=40&noseen=1#post480076891

the questions in the op should be the same set that have come up here a couple times

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Thanks both!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

App13 posted:

We use spiceworks and it drives me to the bottle every god drat day

For some reason we’ve been mid-transition to Solarwinds for like 8 months and there’s no end in sight.

This could just be my naïveté but like, how hard could it be to make that switch. Why is it taking so long

Spiceworks sucked 10+ years ago when it was the least bad version for shoestring budgets and fly by night operations. I cant imagine trying to use it now. Im amazed they're still around even.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks for ticket system chat - I wouldn't touch Spiceworks with a 10' pole. I'll check out Zendesk. Coming from SysAid at my last job, which was fine/cheap/easy back then, but I think it's only uphill from there.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mierdaan posted:

Thanks for ticket system chat - I wouldn't touch Spiceworks with a 10' pole. I'll check out Zendesk. Coming from SysAid at my last job, which was fine/cheap/easy back then, but I think it's only uphill from there.

Surprised that it's only been mentioned once especially since I thought The Fool was a fan, but instead of Zendesk try Freshdesk. It's kind of an Apple-ized ticket system in that it's purposefully fairly simple (if you're looking for 50 billion fields in a ticket to classify every aspect of the ticket it's not your answer), and it's not cheap, but for us it's been a godsend in that it just loving works, has the features we want, and adds minimum of friction to the day to day business of dealing with tickets. There's also all kinds of integrations (initiating ScreenConnect sessions directly from tickets is real useful), and unlike Zendesk you can split tickets - amazed that's STILL a thing, I thought surely by now they'd have added it. And the mobile app is great.

Biggest downside is that it does tend to force you into a specific way of doing things, but similarly to Apple that's also how it manages to keep things simple and not add ways for users or technicians to gently caress up the ticket process. As far as we're concerned though it's 100% worth the money (we're on the second highest tier I think) and makes our lives easier.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ugh I'm back at work and wish I was camping still, I got to have a campfire for the first time in years because there's no fire ban yet

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

There's a balance to strike between customising something to an incredible degree to fit to a frankly wrong workflow, and being able to adapt a piece of software to cover your use case. The worst case scenario is you customise something to the point where you can't upgrade it anymore and then have to run two ticket packages alongside each other.

Truer words were never spoken. People trying to shoehorn bad workflows into systems is a pet peeve.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Doubt anyone is committing my work/interview history to memory, but I’d recently went through a round of interviews where a recruiter had told me I’d make ‘350-500 easy’. I went through three rounds of interviews, all normal boring stuff everyone seemed happy etc etc. After the last interview the recruiter called me, said an offer was being extended and someone was calling to talk comp the next day. Asked why I kept with it, I said very bluntly you claimed this was a 500k position potentially. Call to discuss comp was mysteriously cancelled. Two weeks later I get an email saying they didn’t have the budget for me. They got so shook they couldn’t even extend an offer lmao

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We went from an actual nightmare ticket software called Assyst, a product that was apparently designed for change management, but could somehow be beaten into a ticketing system, and moved to Service Now. Which sounded good at first, but people running SNOW have made it their life mission to make it look and act like Assyst.

There was a request that when people asked for some specific software, the name of the field changed from "Request software X" to "Request software Y" and part of the setup I would get a task to add the user.
For some reason, I get multiple tasks for this that are named similar things, like "User needs access to Y" and "Setup Y for user" that are both assigned at the same time.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Try HubSpot.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Assyst more like rear end cyst lmao

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

i am a moron posted:

They got so shook they couldn’t even extend an offer lmao

Well, it was an interesting saga while it lasted.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I never had any real hope it was real, but I had that kinda hope when you buy a lottery ticket and think ‘lol yea maybe’

Even though my employer has pissed me off recently I have 0 desire to leave so I’ll keep asking for insane amounts of money and maybe… maybe someday I’ll make that lakehouse money

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CitizenKain posted:

There was a request that when people asked for some specific software, the name of the field changed from "Request software X" to "Request software Y" and part of the setup I would get a task to add the user.
For some reason, I get multiple tasks for this that are named similar things, like "User needs access to Y" and "Setup Y for user" that are both assigned at the same time.

This is for larger companies with automation and workflows. “Access to Y” would be for their manager to approve for billing to start, ‘setup for y’ is supposed to be waiting to trigger on a condition from the ‘access’ request and then do an automated deployment or get assigned if manual steps are needed.

Because the people who on-boarded your company with SNOW don’t understand their own company and didn’t bother learning anything about SNOW. Somebody just said ‘these all belong to IT’ without asking or caring why any of it would exist.

SNOW is capable of a lot, but like any system of this size it’s basically dysfunctional.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Freshservice is pretty great once you customize it, particularly when you get into workflow automation.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

https://bestpractical.com/request-tracker

this is written in perl

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

We use autotask. I assume nobody has ever heard of it.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Silly Newbie posted:

Freshservice is pretty great once you customize it, particularly when you get into workflow automation.

I don’t really have any opinions about this poo poo other than -

gently caress JIRA
Freshservice is the best

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Surprised that it's only been mentioned once especially since I thought The Fool was a fan, but instead of Zendesk try Freshdesk.

Freshservice is what I usually recommend, but Freshdesk is good too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

i am a moron posted:

I’ll keep asking for insane amounts of money and maybe… maybe someday I’ll make that lakehouse money

I'm about to finish out my notice, take a week between while family is visiting, then start the new job making stupid money. And I even get 4 weeks of PTO paid out from old job. I'm sure there's plenty of people making a lot more, but at this point I really can't imagine what that lifestyle would look like.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Imo you get to a point where it kinda doesn’t matter. I make 200k a year just about, wife is right on my heels earnings-wise, I barely lift a finger at this point to get poo poo done, and I got some feedback today that every team I work with loves working with me because I blast through blockers for them. Not to toot my own horn but I’m happy af and I’m kicking rear end. Not even sure if I would’ve left for even crazier money cause I’m not sure I want to owe someone for it. This ride will end someday and I’ll probably look back very fondly on these times

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

imagine being happy lol

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

If you want to be happy, join the military go to war and get out and live every day after it. My baseline for poo poo on this planet is probably pretty hosed and being anywhere above dying from some dumbass violent hairless ape BS is amazing to me. I have no idea how I stumbled into the crap im doing now but I’m thankful it happened for no real good reason lmao

Edit: this was probably too much for the working in IT thread but it’s late and im :justpost:ing

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

i am a moron posted:

If you want to be happy, join the military go to war and get out and live every day after it. My baseline for poo poo on this planet is probably pretty hosed and being anywhere above dying from some dumbass violent hairless ape BS is amazing to me. I have no idea how I stumbled into the crap im doing now but I’m thankful it happened for no real good reason lmao

Edit: this was probably too much for the working in IT thread but it’s late and im :justpost:ing

Sickening fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 29, 2022

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Telling you. Send a 6pack would net Jeffrey some money.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

This person is my spirit animal. Everything’s been gravy for me for a decade at least

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i am a moron posted:

joining the military and going to war to shoot people isn't a solution for quite literally anything lmao

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

joining the military and going to war to shoot people isn't a solution for quite literally anything lmao

Shoot hogs with me. I've got lovely nvg scopes but they work.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Check your privilege maple syrup.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yea agreed. War is a terrible plague and a result of deep shared mental illness. Not only would I not suggest it, I think it’s literally the most disgusting, hateful, miserable thing we do as a species and stuff like Ukraine and what’s happening in Ethiopia breaks my heart. My path to it was one part post 911 jigonism and one part buying into propaganda drilled into me from a very young age. The only decent thing that came out of it for me was valuing my own life and living it. Everything else is miserable soul-crushing awfulness

Edit: again sorry for :justpost:ing

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 29, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I missed that vibe in your post, I'm tired. Sorry! I agree with you!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I think this thread is more therapy than anything anymore. Just post and come to texas and help me kill hogs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

also never EVER apologize for posting. Only cowards regret posting. Just Post.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

also never EVER apologize for posting. Only cowards regret posting. Just Post.

Clam down gets me

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like this thread has a night crew vibe. Working in IT After Dark. Also I like that send a 6-pack idea. Going to tell Jeffrey we need to integrate with Drizly.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Can you eat the hogs you kill in Texas? Like are they yummy, not just strictly edible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I suspect wild hog has similar notes to bear meat