Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

Seems relatively noncontroversial to say that a lot of Ukrainians who speak Russian reside in the east and the coast.

Having Ukrainian as one's native language does not mean one doesn't know Russian. Basically everyone is at least bilingual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Results of the (still ongoing) UN Human Rights investigation in Ukraine
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1542093072498032640?s=20&t=9CTmOj-lPFB2TZLXcQRJCg
The report in question is at this link - it's a PDF: https://www.ohchr.org/en/documents/country-reports/situation-human-rights-ukraine-context-armed-attack-russian-federation

Note it only covers from the start of the war through May 15th, so it's likely only gotten worse.

Point 9 of the executive summary:

quote:

OHCHR has documented and verified allegations of unlawful killings, including summary executions of civilians in more than 30 settlements in Kyiv, Chernihiv, Kharkiv and Sumy regions, committed while these territories were under the control of Russian armed forces in late February and March. In Bucha alone (Kyiv region) OHCHR documented the unlawful killings, including summary executions, of at least 50 civilians. Most victims were men, but there were also women and children. As the recovery, exhumation and identification of mortal remains is not yet over, the scale is yet to be fully assessed.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Now I fully understand why everyone is so gung-ho about the HIMARS.

If they are given the GPS guided missiles it's basically almost as good as having CAS where they can take out with precision various artillery and strong points while the Russian's cant reliably shoot back. Which means they have to risk their air force to go after the HIMARS or engage in infiltration tactics to try to sneak behind enemy lines and take them out which I think may not be within Russia's capabilities right now. If you draw out their front a little further from railway yards then you can just use intelligence and drone surveillance to spot supply convoys, fire missiles that hit the right spots and effectively interdict Russian supply lines without risking anything.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Kaal posted:

You’re referring to a CBU-97 or its derivative the CBU-105. Introduced in 1992, it’s a sensor-fused weapon that can be guided over a target area, where it releases a number of dividing sub-munitions that target vehicles via laser infrared pattern-matching and fire explosive penetrators down at them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bg9uoI8RQKc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBU-97_Sensor_Fuzed_Weapon

https://defencyclopedia.com/2015/06/12/cbu-105-sensor-fuzed-weapon-usafs-ultimate-tank-buster/amp/

A Joint Firepower F-15E weapons officer kept trying to tell a bunch of us that while impressive, you basically had to have the stars align (weather, target type, air defenses, enemy movement, enemy formation, ROE, etc) for such a weapon to be as amazing and game-changing as the marketing department would have you believe compared to just using more typical bombs or missiles.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

mlmp08 posted:

A Joint Firepower F-15E weapons officer kept trying to tell a bunch of us that while impressive, you basically had to have the stars align (weather, target type, air defenses, enemy movement, enemy formation, ROE, etc) for such a weapon to be as amazing and game-changing as the marketing department would have you believe compared to just using more typical bombs or missiles.

Yeah I could believe that. It seems like an effective weapon, but how many times are you really going to come across an entire tank company that is tightly clumped together during active fighting? Even the Russians at their most incompetent have mostly been spreading out along roads. And when you do a cost comparison between a $750,000 CBU-105, and a non-sensor-fused $25,000 CBU-103, one starts to question the value of investing in such an expensive munition.

The Air Force used them during the invasion of Iraq, and they’d certainly have used them in any Fulda Gap-scenario, but there’d be real sustainment issues with trying to use a weapon like that over multiple months. The enemy would quickly learn to remain spread out, forcing pilots to choose whether to use such weapons on only a handful of armored targets at a time.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Wait, is the soldier implying that the 'transferred' people are instead transferred to the afterlife, along with their family?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think he's saying they're just moved to a different part of Ukraine that might be just as dangerous

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

TipTow posted:

I understood your original post but I bet Cinci is quibbling over "Ukrainians who don't [i.e., can't] speak Russian," which those maps don't discuss, only native/primary language. I don't think that really affects your overall point but is probably factually incorrect.

The issue with all of these language maps is they always give a false appearance of homogeneity , Kyiv for example is like 50-75% Ukrainian speakers (many of whom also speak Russian daily). Not really captured by just blue. Nor does it capture things like this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarians_in_Ukraine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surzhyk

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 29, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Neurolimal posted:

Seems relatively noncontroversial to say that a lot of Ukrainians who speak Russian reside in the east and the coast.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oh my god

This is the level of understanding of Ukraine of people who will eagerly tell you about the Holodomor or any eastern European topic

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kaal posted:

You’re referring to a CBU-97 or its derivative the CBU-105. Introduced in 1992, it’s a sensor-fused weapon that can be guided over a target area, where it releases a number of dividing sub-munitions that target vehicles via laser infrared pattern-matching and fire explosive penetrators down at them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bg9uoI8RQKc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBU-97_Sensor_Fuzed_Weapon

https://defencyclopedia.com/2015/06/12/cbu-105-sensor-fuzed-weapon-usafs-ultimate-tank-buster/amp/
Yep, just checked the videos and this is the one I've seen. Ridiculously complex system if you think about it for a moment.

Kaal posted:

Yeah I could believe that. It seems like an effective weapon, but how many times are you really going to come across an entire tank company that is tightly clumped together during active fighting? Even the Russians at their most incompetent have mostly been spreading out along roads. And when you do a cost comparison between a $750,000 CBU-105, and a non-sensor-fused $25,000 CBU-103, one starts to question the value of investing in such an expensive munition.

The Air Force used them during the invasion of Iraq, and they’d certainly have used them in any Fulda Gap-scenario, but there’d be real sustainment issues with trying to use a weapon like that over multiple months. The enemy would quickly learn to remain spread out, forcing pilots to choose whether to use such weapons on only a handful of armored targets at a time.
Seems like it could be still useful for hitting various bases or river crossing attempts, but maybe not the best in terms of bang for your buck :v:

Owling Howl posted:

Support for the defense of Ukraine is not contingent on reforms. Like no one demanded Ukraine ratify the Istanbul Convention in exchange for X number of howitzers. Support for Ukraine will continue whether they reform or not.

Joining the EU and NATO absolutely hinges on reforms though and it should. The EU isn't just financial support - it's common legal and economic frameworks. If Ukraine could join without adopting them they would miss out on the most important and useful aspect of the union. In any case it will be a years long process.

The point is that Russia has so thoroughly pushed Ukraine towards the EU that they are actively reforming in spite of whatever supposed influence the far right has on Ukrainian society so it's not a given that the far-right is destined to play a larger role in Ukraine even taking into account the radicalizing effect of the war.
Right, we're mostly agreement then... the EU/NATO membership is the carrot to address any rule of law issues and minority rights. Maybe I was just confused by that whole thread about communists and what not.

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014
Re: the language stuff, I read this article a while ago and wondered how accurate it is. It’s very interesting.https://insightonukraine.com/2022/04/07/how-the-war-in-ukraine-is-impacting-language/

Also, all of the Ukrainians I have met (before the war) speak exclusively Russian at home. My (largely baseless) assumption is that Ukrainian is a language spoken by hill bumpkins in private setting and it is viewed as kind of useless/cringey by young people, unfortunately like many less prestigious, dying languages.

I am a hill bumpkin so please don’t take offense to that comment if you speak Ukrainian and you are not a hill bumpkin.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FishBulbia posted:

We'll countinue to attempt war crimes but may be also bad at doing them

Russia's big 'we weren't trying to blow up the shopping center, we were aiming for the hospital half a block away' energy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chill Monster posted:

Re: the language stuff, I read this article a while ago and wondered how accurate it is. It’s very interesting.https://insightonukraine.com/2022/04/07/how-the-war-in-ukraine-is-impacting-language/

Also, all of the Ukrainians I have met (before the war) speak exclusively Russian at home. My (largely baseless) assumption is that Ukrainian is a language spoken by hill bumpkins in private setting and it is viewed as kind of useless/cringey by young people, unfortunately like many less prestigious, dying languages.

I am a hill bumpkin so please don’t take offense to that comment if you speak Ukrainian and you are not a hill bumpkin.

Well you are probably the most wrong poster yet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

First GIS result for Рядовой Чмоня

Second GIS result for same:

Which Chmonya is being released??

Honestly I am happy for Chmonia. He is an LDNR schoolteacher caught on the street and press-ganged into war (like majority of their forces). And surrendered asap. Hopefully they wont recruit him again.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 29, 2022

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Chill Monster posted:

You're thinking of Ruthenian, which is what I spoke the majority of when I lived in Zakarpattya. More like mountain bumpkins.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Chill Monster posted:

I read an article a while back that talked about this and it was like you wrote with the hill bumpkin bit, until around 2014. Since then people, especially young people make an effort to learn and speak Ukrainian, especially if they were raised speaking Russian. Not because of some kind of social or political pressure, but to set themselves apart from the Rashists across the border.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

You could go to basically any former ussr country and make your way with Russian, at least before the war. language is not a perfect proxy for identity.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Why Ukraine wants more HIMARs, explained via .gif
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1542203947615756289?s=20&t=wQw4AN0IaiHUyzXjd5nckA

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Chill Monster posted:

My (largely baseless) assumption is that Ukrainian is a language spoken by hill bumpkins in private setting and it is viewed as kind of useless/cringey by young people, unfortunately like many less prestigious, dying languages.
I remember seeing on some Russian Telegram channels quite a bit of doubt if Ukrainian was even a language in it's own right. "Toilet Russian" is the phrase I remember.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Kraftwerk posted:

Now I fully understand why everyone is so gung-ho about the HIMARS.

If they are given the GPS guided missiles it's basically almost as good as having CAS where they can take out with precision various artillery and strong points while the Russian's cant reliably shoot back. Which means they have to risk their air force to go after the HIMARS or engage in infiltration tactics to try to sneak behind enemy lines and take them out which I think may not be within Russia's capabilities right now. If you draw out their front a little further from railway yards then you can just use intelligence and drone surveillance to spot supply convoys, fire missiles that hit the right spots and effectively interdict Russian supply lines without risking anything.

I wonder how good HIMARS is for counter-artillery. While it's obviously very accurate and very long-range, when you're that far away, any projectile will take a while to fly to the target won't it?

How close do you generally have to get to do effective counter-artillery, i.e. to have your shells/rockets/whatever land before the enemy arty scoots away?

(A quick google search gave me a very useful answer:

)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

jaete posted:

I wonder how good HIMARS is for counter-artillery. While it's obviously very accurate and very long-range, when you're that far away, any projectile will take a while to fly to the target won't it?

How close do you generally have to get to do effective counter-artillery, i.e. to have your shells/rockets/whatever land before the enemy arty scoots away?

)

Rather than counterbattery fire I suspect theyd be going after ammo dumps, supply areas or some behind the lines infrastructure that fuels the artillery barrages.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

mlmp08 posted:

This is basically one of those stories NCOs tell, but it’s never really been true and it definitely isn’t now. It was closest to true when M270s were firing unguided cluster munition fire missions in Desert Storm across large defending Iraqi formations and fortifications.

To use HIMARs or modern M270 to “saturate” a grid would be to ignore its biggest selling points and waste a bunch of ordnance.

Well that depends on a few things. No one HIMARS is going to be capable of grid saturation, so when the “NCOs” are telling that story, they are telling a story about how multiple systems can be used to completely saturate a grid; and the United States Armed Forces can field more than the two that have been given to Ukraine.

Also, I beg to differ. There are absolutely times when you might want an entire grid completely “removed.” It all depends on the tactical situation.

Final protective fire is a case in point where a grid has to be immediately overwhelmed to save either an infantry formation or an artillery emplacement itself.

And, while I never served in the infantry, my guess is that those NCOs commenting about grid removal are basically telling the men under them, if the poo poo gets really bad the pull string make boom guys can completely gently caress up the other guy…

What they probably don’t mention is that the friendly infantry will likely me in that same grid.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Chill Monster posted:

Ehh most of Ukrainian TV has been in Ukranian for as long as I remember so it is far from "country bumpkin" language when you hear it daily. Without doubt, Putin would love to see it go the way of Irish Gaelic.

My aunt from Mariupol made concrete effort to learn Ukranian properly when she went for get higher education at Kharkiv university (dont remember for what exactly, exams or final thesis). That was around 15 years ago so requirements only got stricter I believe.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 29, 2022

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

jaete posted:

A quick google search gave me a very useful answer:

Are you sure? I can't tell.

Sometimes google is as dense as I am.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Looks like we're approaching a compromise deal re: Kaliningrad. The whole transit mess seems to be an unintended consequence of the fourth sanctions package coupled with insufficient guidance from the Commission; offering belated clarity to defuse the situation now is a very good thing and doesn't undermine the stated intention of the sanctions package since the restriction on goods headed for export will remain in effect. No one needs a pissing contest in the Baltics; especially not an unintended one.

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1542215292084011008?s=20&t=VSbXPEb1mBOccDc4SQWhOg

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

jaete posted:

)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M270_Multiple_Launch_Rocket_System

quote:

The GMLRS has a minimum engagement range of 15 km (9.3 mi) and can hit a target out to 70 km (43 mi), impacting at a speed of Mach 2.5.

This would be a little less than 1 km/sec. I don't have the faintest idea how to count the total flight time of a rocket from its impact speed, presumably the rocket engine accelerates at least for the first half and then for the last half of flight gravity aids in maintaining speed so it could be close to average speed???

In that case flight time would be around 10 70 seconds for 70 kilometers, which sounds wild. But of course a rocket takes a longer course so let's say, 20 seconds? Add to that the time needed to detect the firing, and time needed by battery to act on the order. It doesn't give the enemy much time time to loiter after firing a salvo - which is the point. Force them to nervously dance around instead of parking up and spending all the afternoon shooting shells at your infantry. It quickly starts to wear your equipment down, you need to refuel and so on.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 29, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

ZombieLenin posted:

Well that depends on a few things. No one HIMARS is going to be capable of grid saturation, so when the “NCOs” are telling that story, they are telling a story about how multiple systems can be used to completely saturate a grid; and the United States Armed Forces can field more than the two that have been given to Ukraine.

Also, I beg to differ. There are absolutely times when you might want an entire grid completely “removed.” It all depends on the tactical situation.

Final protective fire is a case in point where a grid has to be immediately overwhelmed to save either an infantry formation or an artillery emplacement itself.

And, while I never served in the infantry, my guess is that those NCOs commenting about grid removal are basically telling the men under them, if the poo poo gets really bad the pull string make boom guys can completely gently caress up the other guy…

What they probably don’t mention is that the friendly infantry will likely me in that same grid.

He was saying they don't delete a grid; even in numbers, against a foe that has dug in even remotely properly. You don't think 60k shells a day does not give a good approximation of what it would be like under that sort of indirect firepower?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

TipTow posted:

I understood your original post but I bet Cinci is quibbling over "Ukrainians who don't [i.e., can't] speak Russian," which those maps don't discuss, only native/primary language. I don't think that really affects your overall point but is probably factually incorrect.

Yeah russian is widely spoken in pretty much all of ukraine. Obviously it is somewhat less socially popular now post-2014, but if anything it's still remarkably widespread even in light of the first russian invasion. A large majority of Ukranians speak russian.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1542245708111265793

well

he's not wrong

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Nenonen posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M270_Multiple_Launch_Rocket_System

This would be a little less than 1 km/sec. I don't have the faintest idea how to count the total flight time of a rocket from its impact speed, presumably the rocket engine accelerates at least for the first half and then for the last half of flight gravity aids in maintaining speed so it could be close to average speed???

In that case flight time would be less than 10 seconds for 70 kilometers, which sounds wild. But of course a rocket takes a longer course so let's say, 20 seconds? Add to that the time needed to detect the firing, and time needed by battery to act on the order. It doesn't give the enemy much time time to loiter after firing a salvo - which is the point. Force them to nervously dance around instead of parking up and spending all the afternoon shooting shells at your infantry. It quickly starts to wear your equipment down, you need to refuel and so on.
Umm, 70 km at 1 km/s takes 70 seconds.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Electric Wrigglies posted:

He was saying they don't delete a grid; even in numbers, against a foe that has dug in even remotely properly. You don't think 60k shells a day does not give a good approximation of what it would be like under that sort of indirect firepower?

Is that a question? I’ve never been under any sort of artillery fire, let alone saturation fire—which is absolutely a thing.

I’m not quite sure it matters how well ‘dug-in’ you are, nor whether or not the incoming fire is rocket fire or fire from tube artillery.

The intention of saturation fire is to disrupt as much as it is to destroy, and I’m guessing reducing a grid to rubble does a fine job of disrupting the poo poo out anyone unlucky enough to be under it and still alive when it’s over.

Furthermore, as I was saying, there are times when saturation fire is used on forces who are attacking—eg final protective fire—where the men and machines you are shooting at are the opposite of dug in.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DTurtle posted:

Umm, 70 km at 1 km/s takes 70 seconds.

Well maybe in your seconds :smuggo:

(luckily nobody noticed that I originally typed that as 1 km/h :ninja:)

But anyway, we are talking about a few minutes response, perhaps.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Re: The grid deleting conversation

My engineer detachment has dug fighting positions for armored/mechanized units before. "Elbow room" for tanks is ideally 500m between fighting positions. The amount of space involved is staggering in an armored fight and density is relatively low. Maybe 4 tanks and a platoon of infantry in a kilometer grid.

Granted, this was wide open terrain and not Ukrainian forests and cities. But precision is definitely the name of the game in either case.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Remember those videos of like over a dozen tanks congested in an area under artillery fire? Thats the kind of thing sensor fused weapons would be perfect versus.

There was a weird sensor-fused artillery deployed thing called Brilliant Anti Tank that was meant to be launched by an MLRS derivative but was cancelled after the Cold War.

The guys who coined calling the old M26 the "grid square remover" were wildly optimistic when they decided to call it that

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 29, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1542252789342011393

Things are looking pretty grim. I don't think there was much question that it would almost certainly fall, but the speed is alarming even after Severodonetsk.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

the holy poopacy posted:

Things are looking pretty grim. I don't think there was much question that it would almost certainly fall, but the speed is alarming even after Severodonetsk.

From what I've been reading they basically made the decision to evacuate both at about the same time as they were getting getting pressure from the flanks. I don't think looking at this as an additional rapid fall is quite right.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

the holy poopacy posted:

https://news.sky.com/video/ukraine-war-skys-alex-crawford-reports-from-lysychansk-as-russian-troops-close-in-on-city-12642696

They're affecting a slow withdrawal. Warning, the report is amazing but made me want to vomit due to how sad it all was. I can't help but feel I helped do this in my small way by not helping stop it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I hope the withdrawal is/was successful. But if they couldn't hold the flanks with Lysychansk as a bulwark, that doesn't bode well for their ability to hold Russia to the new line either.

I guess the hope/assumption is that Russia will be focusing on Donetsk next and not as concentrated on pushing further from Luhansk, but if Ukraine also shifts its defensive focus there this is not necessarily an improvement for their prospects in this direction.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

the holy poopacy posted:

I hope the withdrawal is/was successful. But if they couldn't hold the flanks with Lysychansk as a bulwark, that doesn't bode well for their ability to hold Russia to the new line either..

The problem is that the Russians didn't attack through Lysychansk. With the river on one side, they could have potentially held out there indefinitely, but the Russians were already across the river to the south and once they pushed through there the fight for the city became hopeless and pointless.

Losing the city is very unfortunate, but one large advantage that lines further to the west will have is not having their forces stretched out over a long supply lane that will always be in danger of being cut or struck by bomb or shell. I imagine the defenders are going to notice a big difference with them not being struck from multiple directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Dirt5o8 posted:

Re: The grid deleting conversation

My engineer detachment has dug fighting positions for armored/mechanized units before. "Elbow room" for tanks is ideally 500m between fighting positions. The amount of space involved is staggering in an armored fight and density is relatively low. Maybe 4 tanks and a platoon of infantry in a kilometer grid.

Granted, this was wide open terrain and not Ukrainian forests and cities. But precision is definitely the name of the game in either case.

A mech cavalry troop had a frontage of 10km and typically had 8-12 vehicles on that frontage. A mech company had a frontage of maybe 3-5km, and might put 8 vehicles on that frontage. Mech forces fight very dispersed.