Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
If I ever want a CMF (rare) I'll go to the LEGO store that has them all individually sorted and marked. When that is no longer viable, I will buy them from Bricklink sellers or something. Absolutely not doing gacha bullshit. I don't even tend to play games with systems like that anymore, even if they're 100% optional and cosmetic systems. It dramatically lowers my interest in any product because it's anti-consumer predatory bullshit. And I tend to defend a lot of LEGO's unpopular decisions!

edit: Oh poo poo, can't start a new page with this much negativity. Here, have a rebuild of my Chevelle that I just finished!

It's shorter in overall length, has smaller wheels and tires, and has sleeker C pillars when compared to the previous build:

Just an update I've been meaning to do for ages since I realized it was just too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Got a bricklink order in today, the box was converted from a friends set and all the pieces were in lego parts bags. Gotta appreciate recycling like that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've gotten packaging like that before. it's nice. They even heat sealed the pieces in trimmed down, reused bags.
Dope. Love the lime green.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Do you have a Wooderson minifig? It’d be a lot cooler if you did.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone pick up the Jazz Quartet yet? I’m interested in hearing some impressions

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Anyone pick up the Jazz Quartet yet? I’m interested in hearing some impressions

Tiego had a review and it sold me on the Quartet. I ordered one but it hasn't shipped yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_hfciphDp8

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I guess the only way to ensure you get different minifigs now is by weight; looking forward to seeing jorts-wearers roaming toy stores with precision scales.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m guessing they’ll start mark the boxes again, Lego know the shop staff sort them out for people. People are getting so angry over this; it’s hilarious. :haw:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

I’m guessing they’ll start mark the boxes again, Lego know the shop staff sort them out for people. People are getting so angry over this; it’s hilarious. :haw:
IIRC they stated in the Brickset article that they have no plans to mark the boxes again. They did reach out to many AFOL fan outlets for feedback. "The team has acknowledged our concerns, but could not confirm whether any alterations would be made in future." Additionally, Brickset polled users on how they thought this change would affect their buying habits. A significant plurality of voters said that they would now only purchase them from secondary marketplaces. That said, Brickset is reactionary nerd HQ, so I don't think it's the best representation of AFOL feelings as a whole, but most people I've spoken to feel the same way.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
As with any previous CMF I'll just BL the one or two distinct pieces that I like and leave the blind bagging/boxing to folks who have a stomach for it. A shrewd move by Lego, who knows people will complain loudly (as about everything else, good or bad), but they won't actually change their buying behaviour. I don't think the people buying trays of these things to get the ones they want are going to be severely impacted.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Yeah, honestly, I wonder how many of the people who say they will only buy from secondary markets will actually follow through. I'd imagine a good number of them, still fully dedicated to getting the specific figs and pieces they want upon release, will just buy complete sets now instead. I don't think LEGO would be upset.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Assuming the packs you get are truly random how many would you need to buy to have a 90%+ chance of getting all 12 figures?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RatHat posted:

Assuming the packs you get are truly random how many would you need to buy to have a 90%+ chance of getting all 12 figures?

An entire box of 36 is 100%, so a little less than that. :v:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Reviews are dropping for the DB5. As always, Racingbrick has the best coverage of anything car-related ever, but Brickset's review just hit too. I'm really thrilled about the techniques and parts, and I feel like it's a much better model than the Creator Expert one from a pure exterior aesthetic perspective, but maaaaaaan

still pretty far off on that color match, LEGO, and for the same reason as always: opacity issues on a transparent part. Just do a second print pass!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > LEGO: people will complain loudly but they won't actually change their buying behaviour

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of lego and color, is there a third shade of light bluish grey floating around out there? Or is this just "natural variance" in this era of lego globalization? Because in this photo I got three shades of grey:

An old light grey 1x1 on the right is clearly visible, then around it is what I consider "light bluish grey" and then the 1x2 pieces are a slightly darker shade. It could be natural weathering/sun damage but I am not sure.. my older light bluish grey bricks that sat in the sun for a while are much closer to old light grey. They don't seem to get darker like that.

Basically I'm finding it pretty hard to build anything with a single shade of grey right now. I've been filtering my old light grey into their own bag and that fixes a lot of issues.. but if I really start squinting at the pieces I got like 10 shades of light grey depending on how much time they spent getting natural light.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just looks like variance to me yeah

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

xzzy posted:

Speaking of lego and color, is there a third shade of light bluish grey floating around out there? Or is this just "natural variance" in this era of lego globalization? Because in this photo I got three shades of grey:

An old light grey 1x1 on the right is clearly visible, then around it is what I consider "light bluish grey" and then the 1x2 pieces are a slightly darker shade. It could be natural weathering/sun damage but I am not sure.. my older light bluish grey bricks that sat in the sun for a while are much closer to old light grey. They don't seem to get darker like that.

Basically I'm finding it pretty hard to build anything with a single shade of grey right now. I've been filtering my old light grey into their own bag and that fixes a lot of issues.. but if I really start squinting at the pieces I got like 10 shades of light grey depending on how much time they spent getting natural light.
There's always natural color variance in LEGO. Depends what kind of lighting you're under and how hard you're looking.

Check out the 1 x 1 plate toward the rear, on the back mudguard piece. It came from the exact same batch as nearly all the other dark bluish gray here, brand new from LEGO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It feels to me that's outside acceptable "natural variance" but I'm still gonna buy lego stuff so I guess it's not that bad. :v:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'm dumb and this morning finally bit on a 9V train from 1996 on eBay. I have no experience with the 9v system and I feel like metal on metal would have even worse traction than plastic with dirty rubber bands on the wheels, but here we go!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Carbohydrates posted:

There's always natural color variance in LEGO. Depends what kind of lighting you're under and how hard you're looking.

Check out the 1 x 1 plate toward the rear, on the back mudguard piece. It came from the exact same batch as nearly all the other dark bluish gray here, brand new from LEGO.

That raised black part in the hood...I need to know how to do that.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

davebo posted:

I'm dumb and this morning finally bit on a 9V train from 1996 on eBay. I have no experience with the 9v system and I feel like metal on metal would have even worse traction than plastic with dirty rubber bands on the wheels, but here we go!

Which train?The metal on metal works pretty well. The only problems I ran into with traction is when I’d add a ridiculous amount of cars to one engine, but that’s when I had about a 6 foot x 4 foot loop set up, that could also be a power problem, as I remember it really struggling at the farthest point from the power input.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

davebo posted:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Flyinglemur posted:

That raised black part in the hood...I need to know how to do that.
Hinge brick, double cheese slope, 2 x 4 tile. And then the windscreen is attached to that same assembly to rake the front of the cabin.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Carbohydrates posted:

Hinge brick, double cheese slope, 2 x 4 tile. And then the windscreen is attached to that same assembly to rake the front of the cabin.

Thank you so much. I realize I hadn't said "please" and I didn't want to look like an rear end in a top hat. Sorry about that.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Finally some good news!

Lego Email posted:

Important update to your LEGO® VIP Program

We’re making it easier for you to get discounts on LEGO® products using your VIP Points.

When using VIP Points to redeem a discount, you’ll no longer have to decide whether you want to use your discount online, or by phone. Any discounts you redeem can now be used online, or by phone.

If you have any unused discounts from phone discount rewards that you’ve already redeemed in the Rewards Centre, we will add the relevant VIP Points value back to your VIP Point account. Any LEGO.com discounts you redeemed will remain unchanged.

The LEGO® VIP team

Edit: After posting this I realise that it seems it's still separated for physical shops? I'm not sure since there aren't any in my country.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

ivantod posted:

Finally some good news!

Edit: After posting this I realise that it seems it's still separated for physical shops? I'm not sure since there aren't any in my country.

Seems marginal, does anyone actually phone in orders to lego?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't know why they can't just implement a system, like the old one, where you just apply points to a transaction for a discount. Oh, I know. Because by making things more consumer friendly, they would generate less income.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

So I finally bought one of those small "Creative Blue Bricks" boxes, and it's nice - very very blue, but an interesting part assortment and two types of eyes I didn't have IRL. Here are some thoughts:

Gonna try to make it by Target and nab one of the white ones tomorrow if they still have them. Haven't been there in like 4 or 5 months though.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I adore those creations. :3:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You bought a set but posting renders? For shame! Post crappy phone photos!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Tarquinn posted:

I adore those creations. :3:

Thanks!

xzzy posted:

I like to mess with a model in parts til I like it then "document" it in Studio so I can find it again later. Having said that I do need to figure out my new phone camera so maybe I'll shoot a few later. Never had a great phone->imgur pipeline on my old one but maybe that will be easier now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
TURTLE CAR IS ANGRY!

quote:

Me Owl. Me Strudy.
The blue owl wishes to fight.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

davebo posted:

I'm dumbreally smart and this morning finally bit on a 9V train from 1996 on eBay.

Hell yeah! The 9v trains are the best trains. Which one did you get? Only traction issue I had was when I added about 3-4' of cars, the magnetic couplers aren't quite strong enough to pull everything from a dead stop. I could probably do some surgery and glue some stronger magnets on there or 3d print a small neodymium magnet bracket or clip to go around the magnets, but the easy solution is to add an extra engine tender to the rear. The 9v train motors can be swapped right into a rolling stock base instead of the regular wheels, so it's super easy to add more choo if your train gets too ridiculous.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hell yeah! The 9v trains are the best trains. Which one did you get? Only traction issue I had was when I added about 3-4' of cars, the magnetic couplers aren't quite strong enough to pull everything from a dead stop. I could probably do some surgery and glue some stronger magnets on there or 3d print a small neodymium magnet bracket or clip to go around the magnets, but the easy solution is to add an extra engine tender to the rear. The 9v train motors can be swapped right into a rolling stock base instead of the regular wheels, so it's super easy to add more choo if your train gets too ridiculous.

Could you also put the Engine in the back?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

HootTheOwl posted:

Could you also put the Engine in the back?

Yup! But with any sane amount of cars it's perfectly hunky dorey at the front, and it's fun to hoon it around the tracks with the speed regulator

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

xzzy posted:

Well there's still no way to append a new image to an existing Imgur post from the phone, not that I can find at least. Bah.

Anyway, here's Blue Owl and a big BYGGLEK lizardy thing!

Angry Turtle Car vs convertible (now in normal aspect ratio):

Seahorse and a friendly Crabtron:

Blue Robot and a Minecraft Dungeons Toucan:

Blue Spaceship:

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 30, 2022

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

MarxCarl posted:

Which train?The metal on metal works pretty well. The only problems I ran into with traction is when I’d add a ridiculous amount of cars to one engine, but that’s when I had about a 6 foot x 4 foot loop set up, that could also be a power problem, as I remember it really struggling at the farthest point from the power input.

The 4558 Cargo Railway, the funky yellow/black full of windows one. I got a goodwill lot I haven't even received yet that had some of it and was otherwise filled with low value Friends pieces, because no one else must have noticed the upside down 9v motor in the corner of the widest photo, so I lucked out. But then this morning someone on eBay had the same set with box and track, controller and everything that they labelled as incomplete just because they didn't feel like verifying it was complete. So between the two I ought to have all I need. Although I might stick with what I currently use train-wise, and save all this 9v stuff for the holiday train, because if I can put the 9v under the coal tender and the battery pack for the lights on top to weigh it down, that solves my traction problem.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Well there's still no way to append a new image to an existing Imgur post from the phone, not that I can find at least. Bah.

Anyway, here's Blue Owl and a big BYGGLEK lizardy thing!

Angry Turtle Car vs convertible (now in normal aspect ratio):

Seahorse and a friendly Crabtron:

Blue Robot and a Minecraft Dungeons Toucan:

Blue Spaceship:

These are cool :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your phone pics aren't crappy either so that's another plus.