Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bonzo posted:

Kentucky is quiet but slowly catching up. I mean , does Florida have its own Noah's Ark and Creation Museum? https://creationmuseum.org/

Outside Dallas we have http://www.creationevidence.org/ which is the fun mashup of all those plus dinosaur tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

PremiumSupport posted:

Unfortunately, it's not. :ignorance:

I forgot to mention it was also funded with state tax revenue.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

So for those of you who haven’t been following along (how dare you, by the way?!?), I’m the goon bartender trying to break into IT. Got my Sec+ back in Feb and my Net+ this afternoon. Question is: what does the thread think is next? End goal is almost certainly Cloud Security, but seeing as how I still don’t work in the industry, I don’t want to get pinned down to a long term goal.

Right now I’m thinking AWS CCP and AZ 900 for next steps that will serve me well. Or would Cloud+ be better?

I don’t want to get the trifecta and pick up A+ mostly cause I don’t want to spend 700 bux on it. Might study for Linux+ even if I don’t take the exam just to keep up/improve my Linux chops. I’ve been playing with AD in a virtual lab, but I don’t know if there’s a good low-level cert that I should look at there.

Any advice is appreciated, but before some gatekeeping dickhead yells at me for “stacking up worthless certs with no experience,” I just want to point out that I’m in a position right now where I have lots of time to study and I enjoy it, so while the end goal is to get out of the bar before I die of Covid, I’m also studying for studying sake. (If that comes off as harsh, I’ve interacted with a couple of gatekeeping dickheads IRL lately and I didn’t enjoy it).

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

navyjack posted:

Cert chat

Congrats on passing those certs! My two cents based on what you've described:

Above all else, try and get hired on somewhere doing IT work. There is no replacement for experience and the social networking that comes from being in a job.

That said, my two cents would be to look at the AZ-900 to get exposed to cloud concepts. Microsoft Learn has great resources for everything you need to pass that exam. It mostly centers around surface level terminology and concepts, and you might be able to pass it after a week of studying. Same goes for the AWS CCP.

I'm in the same boat as you in that I use the effort of studying for certs as a way of being exposed to tech that I don't have access to at work, in the hopes of opening more doors in the future.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
If you are interested in the AZ-900, there is currently an offer to get free training and a free test voucher from Microsoft for that cloud exam.

FCKGW posted:

Crossposting from the cert thread is anyone is looking to explore Azure:

Microsoft Azure Virtual Training Day: Fundamentals is being held on July 13th and 14th this year.
If you attend both sessions (around 2.5hrs each) then they will give you a voucher to take the AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals exam for free.

Register here: https://mktoevents.com/Microsoft+Event/345065/157-GQE-382?wt.mc_id=AID3048148_QSG_598223

They are also doing one for the SC-200 but I don't know much about that exam.
Note that this particular event is UK time, but there are other similar events on the website that are more appropriate for US time zones.

I did this last year; you sit through two 2.5-hour webinar sessions, then you get a voucher to take the AZ-900 test on MS's dime. Plus you can take all the interactive online training from MS for free.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

FMguru posted:

If you are interested in the AZ-900, there is currently an offer to get free training and a free test voucher from Microsoft for that cloud exam.

Note that this particular event is UK time, but there are other similar events on the website that are more appropriate for US time zones.

I did this last year; you sit through two 2.5-hour webinar sessions, then you get a voucher to take the AZ-900 test on MS's dime. Plus you can take all the interactive online training from MS for free.

Oh nice!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
it annoys me to no end that I can't browse pages of backup log/reports in Barracuda because the loving chat button is in the way.

edit: yeah there are ways around it by using ublock or editing the page source, but come the gently caress on Barracuda.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 29, 2022

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

navyjack posted:

So for those of you who haven’t been following along (how dare you, by the way?!?), I’m the goon bartender trying to break into IT. Got my Sec+ back in Feb and my Net+ this afternoon. Question is: what does the thread think is next? End goal is almost certainly Cloud Security, but seeing as how I still don’t work in the industry, I don’t want to get pinned down to a long term goal.

Right now I’m thinking AWS CCP and AZ 900 for next steps that will serve me well. Or would Cloud+ be better?

I don’t want to get the trifecta and pick up A+ mostly cause I don’t want to spend 700 bux on it. Might study for Linux+ even if I don’t take the exam just to keep up/improve my Linux chops. I’ve been playing with AD in a virtual lab, but I don’t know if there’s a good low-level cert that I should look at there.

Any advice is appreciated, but before some gatekeeping dickhead yells at me for “stacking up worthless certs with no experience,” I just want to point out that I’m in a position right now where I have lots of time to study and I enjoy it, so while the end goal is to get out of the bar before I die of Covid, I’m also studying for studying sake. (If that comes off as harsh, I’ve interacted with a couple of gatekeeping dickheads IRL lately and I didn’t enjoy it).

I'm a former waiter who now works in a SOC. In addition to the stuff mentioned above, I gotta be honest: If you don't have a degree, you might want to consider it if you have the time. I had the Security+ and basically no experience. Nobody was responding to my applications for help desk roles except places in like Florida that wanted me in office for $10 an hour. It was so frustrating spending all that time sending out applications that I decided to just go for a bachelor's degree at WGU. It only took like 9 months because I no-lifed it and got a job offer within a couple weeks of graduating. Compare that with months of job hunting with no success. I'm not saying it's impossible to get lucky with just the fundamentals, but it's just so much easier when you have the piece of paper. WGU pays for a bunch of certs too, so if you can finish it in one or two terms, it's also ridiculously cost efficient. I probably also skipped help desk going this route?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

navyjack posted:

People will poo poo on certs for both invalid and valid reasons, but you're learning and that's the most important part. If you haven't already, start a simple blog where you talk about what you learned. Just a simple, "this is how I deployed a VPC when studying for my exam" type post. A GIthub repository isn't a bad idea. Any kind of hobby coding project or homelab stuff you can speak in detail about. Just something to show your work goes a long way in the interview process. Continuing to do this even after you get hired will guarantee you move up (to a point) every 6-18 months.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'm a former waiter who now works in a SOC. In addition to the stuff mentioned above, I gotta be honest: If you don't have a degree, you might want to consider it if you have the time. I had the Security+ and basically no experience. Nobody was responding to my applications for help desk roles except places in like Florida that wanted me in office for $10 an hour. It was so frustrating spending all that time sending out applications that I decided to just go for a bachelor's degree at WGU. It only took like 9 months because I no-lifed it and got a job offer within a couple weeks of graduating. Compare that with months of job hunting with no success. I'm not saying it's impossible to get lucky with just the fundamentals, but it's just so much easier when you have the piece of paper. WGU pays for a bunch of certs too, so if you can finish it in one or two terms, it's also ridiculously cost efficient. I probably also skipped help desk going this route?

This happened to me post-Army and I majored in marketing. I hate school but I don’t regret my degree it definitely had a positive affect on my application response rates.

Of course this is IT and I know lots of very successful people with no degrees or non traditional educational paths so :shrug:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I have a bachelors, so that’s not what’s holding me back (I looked at WGU for some continuing education and may do something with them).

Bonzo posted:

People will poo poo on certs for both invalid and valid reasons, but you're learning and that's the most important part. If you haven't already, start a simple blog where you talk about what you learned. Just a simple, "this is how I deployed a VPC when studying for my exam" type post. A GIthub repository isn't a bad idea. Any kind of hobby coding project or homelab stuff you can speak in detail about. Just something to show your work goes a long way in the interview process. Continuing to do this even after you get hired will guarantee you move up (to a point) every 6-18 months.

Yeah, I’ve done some small stuff and want to do more. I suppose I should get organized and do things more systematically re: documentation

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

i am a moron posted:

This happened to me post-Army and I majored in marketing. I hate school but I don’t regret my degree it definitely had a positive affect on my application response rates.

Of course this is IT and I know lots of very successful people with no degrees or non traditional educational paths so :shrug:

I have training in clinical psychology. It is amazing how similar conference calls are to group therapy.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

navyjack posted:

I’d focus on 1 cloud to start with altough doing AWS/Azure entry level certs won’t hurt. The AWS CCP one is really high level and more of an intro for sales people though. AZ-900 was the same if I recall correctly.

If Cloud is your endgoal I’d 100% follow up the entry level cert with AWS Solution Architect - Associate or whatever the Azure equivalent is.

While studying for that, building something you can throw in a public git repo is worth showing during interviews. If you have no idea what to do, have a look at this: https://cloudresumechallenge.dev/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

I’d focus on 1 cloud to start with altough doing AWS/Azure entry level certs won’t hurt. The AWS CCP one is really high level and more of an intro for sales people though. AZ-900 was the same if I recall correctly.

If Cloud is your endgoal I’d 100% follow up the entry level cert with AWS Solution Architect - Associate or whatever the Azure equivalent is.

While studying for that, building something you can throw in a public git repo is worth showing during interviews. If you have no idea what to do, have a look at this: https://cloudresumechallenge.dev/

I see your cloud resume and raise you https://learntocloud.guide/#/

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thank you both for those links.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Related to the topic at hand... For those of you that do SRE work, what's your typical day to day like?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LochNessMonster posted:

AZ-900 was the same if I recall correctly.

All of the azure 900 level certs are a intro to <topic> type deal. Worth doing if you are vaguely interested in <topic> because they arent difficult and show you have a base understanding of the concepts, plus you can work out if you do actually enjoy <topic>

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Zil posted:

Thank you both for those links.

Agree!

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Hughmoris posted:

Related to the topic at hand... For those of you that do SRE work, what's your typical day to day like?

Some of the stuff that an SRE might do on a typical day:

• Set up automation to auto-remediate host failures
  • Investigate performance problems
  • Investigate errors or availability dips
  • Write tooling
  • Set up monitoring
  • Work with developers to improve application performance by redesigning infrastructure architecture or application behavior
  • Benchmarking application performance with different instance size characteristics, JVM parameters, etc.
  • Argue about how JIRA items should be broken up for the next sprint

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

cheque_some posted:

Some of the stuff that an SRE might do on a typical day:

• Set up automation to auto-remediate host failures
  • Investigate performance problems
  • Investigate errors or availability dips
  • Write tooling
  • Set up monitoring
  • Work with developers to improve application performance by redesigning infrastructure architecture or application behavior
  • Benchmarking application performance with different instance size characteristics, JVM parameters, etc.
  • Argue about how JIRA items should be broken up for the next sprint

This is basically my life, with a little bit less “non-infra system design” than I might like and a lot more k8s janitor-ing. I also do a lot of security and IAM work. Add in a dash of networking, database management, CI/CD, Linux admin-ing, secrets management and you’ve got a bit of everything. In my previous role which was literally called SRE there was more incident management and monitoring work, which I’m less involved with at $newJob.

I spent today writing gitlab automation, creating documentation for non-technical analysts who need to query CloudSQL DBs and don’t understand how to use an auth proxy, helping our data science team migrate GCP Composer and Airflow versions by building new environments for them, sorting through a morass of routing rules, peered VPCs and network configs to figure out whether I needed to implement NAT for a new service, and mentoring a junior on how to change a nodeJS API server from an awful 2yr old pet VM to a something we can throw away and stick in an autoscaling group with packer (containerizing it and orchestrating is the next step up from there). I was also oncall and handled some items related to AKS auto-upgrade policy, a dying pet VM (that’s going away in 4 weeks with a beautiful ephemeral k8s setup replacing it!), and a failing Argo workflow job that ended up being a vendor problem.

Tomorrow I have 6 hours of meetings covering everything from meeting our new incident manager, to doing a presentation on how to use terraform and GCP IAM policy, to sprint planning, to a book club meeting for “Designing Data Intensive Applications” that I’m going to probably skip so I can eat lunch. I will probably not get much work done outside of meetings and oncall interrupts.

Yesterday I was writing Python code to query GCP and AWS APIs across a few hundred projects and a half dozen AWS accounts to make sure we didn’t have any services that used a manually managed, non-rotating certificate that was expiring. I had a big list of domains and IPs that could possibly use it, but rather than manually scan through pages of VMs and load balancers and k8s services I just wrote a quick program to do it for me.

There’s a rough continuum I find between cloud infrastructure - devops - sre. The more you go right ———> along that spectrum, the closer you are to the software, services, and developers. SREs in particular are strongly associated with monitoring, SLIs, and measuring results with an eye towards customer impact. But there is a ton of overlap no matter the title because all of those roles are fundamentally about “making developer’s lives easier and software better”.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 30, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Fool posted:

Hadn’t come across that one yet. It looks really well structured and comprehensive. Will add it to my bookmarks and recommendations, thanks for sharing!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Fool posted:

This is fantastic and I’m going to recommend it to this kid I’m mentoring. Definitely better than the resume challenge.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Fool posted:

thank you for this, hopefully i can use this to avoid the eternal helpdesk before even starting on helpdesk

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Iron Rose posted:

This is basically my life, with a little bit less “non-infra system design” than I might like and a lot more k8s janitor-ing. I also do a lot of security and IAM work. Add in a dash of networking, database management, CI/CD, Linux admin-ing, secrets management and you’ve got a bit of everything. In my previous role which was literally called SRE there was more incident management and monitoring work, which I’m less involved with at $newJob.

I spent today writing gitlab automation, creating documentation for non-technical analysts who need to query CloudSQL DBs and don’t understand how to use an auth proxy, helping our data science team migrate GCP Composer and Airflow versions by building new environments for them, sorting through a morass of routing rules, peered VPCs and network configs to figure out whether I needed to implement NAT for a new service, and mentoring a junior on how to change a nodeJS API server from an awful 2yr old pet VM to a something we can throw away and stick in an autoscaling group with packer (containerizing it and orchestrating is the next step up from there). I was also oncall and handled some items related to AKS auto-upgrade policy, a dying pet VM (that’s going away in 4 weeks with a beautiful ephemeral k8s setup replacing it!), and a failing Argo workflow job that ended up being a vendor problem.

Tomorrow I have 6 hours of meetings covering everything from meeting our new incident manager, to doing a presentation on how to use terraform and GCP IAM policy, to sprint planning, to a book club meeting for “Designing Data Intensive Applications” that I’m going to probably skip so I can eat lunch. I will probably not get much work done outside of meetings and oncall interrupts.

Yesterday I was writing Python code to query GCP and AWS APIs across a few hundred projects and a half dozen AWS accounts to make sure we didn’t have any services that used a manually managed, non-rotating certificate that was expiring. I had a big list of domains and IPs that could possibly use it, but rather than manually scan through pages of VMs and load balancers and k8s services I just wrote a quick program to do it for me.

There’s a rough continuum I find between cloud infrastructure - devops - sre. The more you go right ———> along that spectrum, the closer you are to the software, services, and developers. SREs in particular are strongly associated with monitoring, SLIs, and measuring results with an eye towards customer impact. But there is a ton of overlap no matter the title because all of those roles are fundamentally about “making developer’s lives easier and software better”.

I do virtually all of this and have never, will never, call myself an SRE because titles don’t matter imo

Edit: and sorry that wasn’t directed at you Iron Rose, just for Hugh’s info. Titles can be very fungible ime

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 30, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sounds like my job descriptions over the past few years as well. Titles have been IT Specialist, DevOps Engineer, Cloud Engineer and Platform Engineer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had someone on my team replace expanded batteries in laptops yesterday. My job is complete.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'll offer an alternative method into getting into the field as someone who works in cloud security.

Just get any IT job! Especially just starting out in IT as a second career. I've interviewed a ton of people who have a few entry level certs and a degree that I would barely trust to reset user passwords, let alone triage SIEM alerts. All of the best security engineers I have ever worked with got their start in ops, or development work first, then pivoted to security. Not saying you cant just dive straight in, but getting any sort of IT experience, even if its just a year of helpdesk would help in my opinion.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone have recommendations for some resources to learn about user authentication best practices and policies?

CIO came to my desk and said “everything about how we do accounts is hosed, can you fix it?”

He’s not wrong, we’ve got a ton of antiquated accounts, barely any procedures for onboarding and terminations, a totally hosed group policy structure, etc. no idea where to start though

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

App13 posted:

Anyone have recommendations for some resources to learn about user authentication best practices and policies?

CIO came to my desk and said “everything about how we do accounts is hosed, can you fix it?”

He’s not wrong, we’ve got a ton of antiquated accounts, barely any procedures for onboarding and terminations, a totally hosed group policy structure, etc. no idea where to start though

Start by writing down everything you can about how things work now, and then write down how you want them to be.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

App13 posted:

Do your absolute best to make this someone else’s problem before you spend any time on it. This rabbit hole goes insanely deep, and depending on the size of the company could require a couple dedicated engineers to do correctly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
As a "DevOps Engineer" on the "SRE" team I mostly bitch about the lack of direction for the team and ask to get transferred to a different team.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

i am a moron posted:

I do virtually all of this and have never, will never, call myself an SRE because titles don’t matter imo

Edit: and sorry that wasn’t directed at you Iron Rose, just for Hugh’s info. Titles can be very fungible ime

Titles matter to a point. They matter for political reasons, and they matter for “do I (person) have to listen to (other person)”. Titles are how we determine that, unfortunately. I get a hell of a lot more respect inside and outside work with “engineer” (lol) or “senior” (kinda lol) in there than I ever did doing helpdesk, or even in more senior roles in IT. They matter a lot when it comes time to finding a new job or putting together a promotion package and how much you get paid as a result!

i agree the difference between sre/devops/foo/bar doesn’t really matter *in terms of the day to day tech* because it’s largely people trying to imitate Google’s idiosyncrasies without understanding what’s meaningful and what isn’t for their organization. But it can matter more when you’re managing organizational politics or dealing with people in general, and that’s usually more critical anyways.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 30, 2022

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yep definitely agree. I meant for more day to day - been hiring/recruiting/interviewing cloud people for a while and they all need to do some level of what you described. But their title is gonna be consultant. And you called that out too so I’m not really sure what my point was entirely anymore, other than probably ‘all the stuff Iron Rose said is good regardless of title’. SRE/DevOps/Staff Platform engineer/whatever else people call this stuff nowadays

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

This is very helpful, thanks!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What is it with all HR software just being terrible to use. I'm trying to update some references on an application that's open until Monday, but I had to upload a completely new copy of my reference sheet. Evidently you can't edit applications at all, you have to instead withdraw and reapply. All to update the title and phone number of a reference I'm using.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
so... how exactly does one fill up an entire /24 with DHCP reservations 'accidentally'?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I mean, I could make a typo and do that for a subnet of any size

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Such is the power of automation

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

it annoys me to no end that I can't browse pages of backup log/reports in Barracuda because the loving chat button is in the way.

This is my new favorite UX fail of recent times.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

so... how exactly does one fill up an entire /24 with DHCP reservations 'accidentally'?

Had an entire /24 block get crowded in our Azure instance because of a slight mistake in a workflow. Automation is a hell of a drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It seems like every website that has a stupid chat option manages to float it over an important element of the UI